You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Why are so many rude? Instead of having fun

95 comments in this topic

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles

Hello all Captains. 

I have played some games now. And in 3 out of 4 games so where there quite much rude players. They started to insult others without no reason. And when i looked them up Edited :Smile_great: I know that many from the west also can be rude. But i feel that eastern guys are worse. Why? Whay don´t just play and have fun without all insult. Grow thicker skin? My skin is thick enough. But insult and that kind of crap talk have nothing to do ingame. Have a great Happy easter holliday guys :) 

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inflammatory remarks.

• Cool 1

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

As soon as something (especially games) has a competitive component, people will be rude. Be it because they are sour losers or have - at least in their opinion - justified complaints about team mates or enemies or for any other reason.

Why are most rude people from the east (I guess you mean Eastern Europe?)? I am not even sure if this is really the case. There might be cultural and social differences between "the East" and "the West" which might lead to this difference if it were true.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Players
5,112 posts
8 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

because they are sour losers

i would be also rude if i carry full game , and some potatoes give free kills before win and lose game ,  thats fully can be understanded

• Cool 9
  • Funny 3

[L4GG]
Players
1,377 posts
5,517 battles
1 hour ago, darkstar73 said:

Hello all Captains. 

I have played some games now. And in 3 out of 4 games so where there quite much rude players. They started to insult others without no reason. And when i looked them up they where all from the east. Why is that? Why are most rude people from the east? Don´t get me wrong now guys. I like the east, The gilrs from the east are stunning :Smile_great: I know that many from the west also can be rude. But i feel that eastern guys are worse. Why? Whay don´t just play and have fun without all insult. Grow thicker skin? My skin is thick enough. But insult and that kind of crap talk have nothing to do ingame. Have a great Happy eastern holliday guys :) 

Lack of vodka?

1 hour ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

i would be also rude if i carry full game , and some potatoes give free kills before win and lose game ,  thats fully can be understanded

I don't know their nationality

No, because they hope others to carry them through the game and they for some reason lash out against others.

Lately in ops there's been  a lot of that maybe players seeking safe harbour from weekends and bring with them the ill temperament and ill manners of random.

And the vast majority end up the game way below 1000 points.

One thing I tell you, if  team damage was on I would be pink a lot.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being below 1000 points ( the less they got the more you'll have at the end)

Just don't beach about it and don't be a little [edited], ruining a relaxing and fun environment. 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,562 posts
9,106 battles

Well it depends really.

If a perfectly average, indistinguishable person does something stupid and blames a perfectly average team doing perfectly normal things, but that's not doing what he specifically wants, then it's just rude and unnecessary.

If a perfectly average person is clearly trying his best and the rest of the team is (and I'm being generous here) content with 10% of their best, with the majority of said percentage used to try and fail to find their "W" key, fails to comprehend the use of the funny colored square with green and red dots at the bottom right of the screen, is blatantly deathly allergic to cap zones, and plenty of other nice things, then yes, it's completely understandable to be rude.

If you're having a hard time understanding why that's the case, look at it from an IRL perpective:
If you're playing football with a group of strangers, you want to win. That's the agreed upon rules of the game: try to score, try to win. You don't join a match for the express purpose of losing, that's just called throwing the match and it's very poor sportsmanhip. So if half of your team sits down and starts playing cards, trying to pick the ball up with their hands, or are just sitting all the way behind next to their own goal posts, content with kicking the ball as hard as they can to the other side of the field to try to score that way, of course the people actually playing the game are going to get mad.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2

[WCWVE]
Players
670 posts
10,881 battles

There is rudeness and downright appalling rudeness 

If the person making the quote is using obsenity's then they need to be reported as the game is for all ages and therefore obsenities and explicit references should not be used 

Just had a battle in Enterprise

Player in Kiev being rude and abusive 

He had already died and at end of match had just 456 points, rest of team did not do that well, total kills 1 battleship - Richelieu and 1 DD - both by my Enterprise 

Needless to say the Kiev player got reported for misbehaviour in chat and poor play 

• Bad 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

I have played some games now. And in 3 out of 4 games so where there quite much rude players. They started to insult others without no reason.

People get worked up about a game. People who get worked up about something get emotional - often meaning "angry" - and angry people start insulting other people, especially ones they perceive to be guilty of their own lack of success.

And when i looked them up they where all from the east. Why is that? Why are most rude people from the east?

Aaand... how exactly did you manage to look them up? Nationality is not part of anyone's profile, after all.

That being said, depending on where "East" begins, according to you, we do have a lot of players from there to begin with. Polish section of the Forum is third after English and German (going by the number of posts), so if Poland is East for you, that would make for a significant chunk of EU community (and if Germany is East too - oh boy, that one is almost as big as English section that's used by EVERYBODY).

That being said, people in Poland (and I think this applies also to places like Latvia, Ukraine etc.) seem to be less reserved than "the West" as far as complaints and insults go. They have (and expect from others) less filter on expressing negative emotions. When you go further West, there seems to be that general idea that you're expected to be content, all the way down to facial expressions. If you don't smile, there's something wrong with you. The concept of "resting [edited] face" is virtually unknown in Poland - that's how people are supposed to look unless thay have a reason to smile, after all :Smile-_tongue:

Whay don´t just play and have fun without all insult. Grow thicker skin? My skin is thick enough.

I kinda doubt it, seeing how the toxicity level of WoWs chat (relatively mild compared to other online games) got you to "look up" where people are from (however you did it) and then to follow up on that surveillance quest by creating a thread about it. That's... kinda a lot of work over a couple insults for someone with a thick skin... :Smile_honoring:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
6,742 battles
33 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

If you're playing football with a group of strangers, you want to win. That's the agreed upon rules of the game: try to score, try to win. You don't join a match for the express purpose of losing, that's just called throwing the match and it's very poor sportsmanhip. So if half of your team sits down and starts playing cards, trying to pick the ball up with their hands, or are just sitting all the way behind next to their own goal posts, content with kicking the ball as hard as they can to the other side of the field to try to score that way, of course the people actually playing the game are going to get mad.

This is my biggest problem with a lot of players. I don't mind a "bad" player that at least tries  his best.

And then you get the inevitable "It's just a game". Yeah, I consider football "just a game" as well, yet it seems whole countries go insane about it. And whenever I would play football (or any game for that matter) with friends I will still do my utter best to understand the rules and actually play.

I find the acceptance of the player that just doesn't give a bleep about anything in a TEAM game a lot more toxic than the occasional rant by someone that is frustrated.

That being said, there are always those that really do scream and cuss at everyone and everything without much motive, those are toxic as well.

If you've played 10+ games in a scenario and you still have no clue where the enemy comes from or what you are supposed to do,  in my opinion, I have no problems with the person being ridiculed and cussed at for example.

Same with Co-op. Every time I see players play in co-op I am amazed that they still haven't figured out how the bots basically sail straight through the middle and you see half your team going to the 1 or 10 line or something similar where they are unable to shoot at the bots. And you look at their profile and they have played 1000 games in co-op. One wonders if these could really be people over the age of 5...

Meh. Unfortunately this is the internet: grow a thick skin fast, or ignore all the BS in the chat. That's what I do. I just look at it to see if anybody is actually saying something usefull. Or to troll some people sometimes.

• Cool 5

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

Oh well @darkstar73 lad.. A**holes are people too, some even get elected president and no efficient way to filter them out has yet been invented. So i guess we're kinda stuck with them for now. Personally I just ignore the lot and have another pint.:cap_tea:

ass.jpg.6f42883aff0b021e23e7674bc1233afe.jpg

Don't bother too much about it, have break and a Kit Kat and then try to have another good game.:Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,200 posts
8,644 battles

A competitive game with more rewards and faster grinds all based on one component - winning. A system that doesn't really recognise those players who play well above average on the losing team and a matchmaker that does not evenly distribute player skill across the teams, not even balances ships properly a lot of the time, e.g. dd's, therefore one-sided battles ensue and less rare than people think. It's part of the 'quick turnover' system WG want - shorter games = more money maybe? Add to all of this the fact simpleton weefolk can jump into high tier premium ships with zero skill.

Some people are just plain rude and many blame it on the internet, but with so much toxicity in this game (me included) you have to wonder if it is these things or is it something else?

All this brews up into the perfet recipe for frustration and guess who the head chef is: WG.

You need to direct your question to them, and they'll redirect it to the players, but ultimately it comes back to them. If they banned all toxic players they could lose half their playerbase.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,964 posts
5,449 battles

Internet...

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Aaand... how exactly did you manage to look them up? Nationality is not part of anyone's profile, after all.

It´s quite easy to check after game you know. If a clan write in polish, well then i assume he IS polish and so on. :P 

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles

That being said, depending on where "East" begins, according to you, we do have a lot of players from there to begin with. Polish section of the Forum is third after English and German (going by the number of posts), so if Poland is East for you, that would make for a significant chunk of EU community (and if Germany is East too - oh boy, that one is almost as big as English section that's used by EVERYBODY).

That being said, people in Poland (and I think this applies also to places like Latvia, Ukraine etc.) seem to be less reserved than "the West" as far as complaints and insults go. They have (and expect from others) less filter on expressing negative emotions. When you go further West, there seems to be that general idea that you're expected to be content, all the way down to facial expressions. If you don't smile, there's something wrong with you. The concept of "resting [edited] face" is virtually unknown in Poland - that's how people are supposed to look unless thay have a reason to smile, after all :Smile-_tongue:

Since i am born in the early 70´s so is eastern europe for me the "old" eastern block. I know there are many players from there. And i don´t have anything against them. Have many nice friends from Poland. But i do hate those haters. And i said that i feel that there are more from the east. I understand that many(metoo) get pissed when you loose game after game. But fact is that it quite often are insults and rude language in chat. Even in a winning game. Like "i hope you got cancer" Not nicely said of those who says that. Cancer is a truly HELL. I know. I wouldn´t wish that to my greatest enemy. 

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles

Seems like most toxics is drawn to WG :P In Warthunder there are much less :P 

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

I've seen some appalling rudeness, sometimes directed at me, though I wouldn't say it all originates from one particular region.

I think it stems from the fact that people can hide behind the internet and be as obnoxious as they wish without fear of retribution.  They probably lead small, unsatisfying lives and perceive WoWs as an environment ( albeit artificial ) where they can be equal or superior to others. This in turn triggers behaviour that in the real world would earn them a rather swift kick between the legs.

• Cool 2

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles

I kinda doubt it, seeing how the toxicity level of WoWs chat (relatively mild compared to other online games) got you to "look up" where people are from (however you did it) and then to follow up on that surveillance quest by creating a thread about it. That's... kinda a lot of work over a couple insults for someone with a thick skin... :Smile_honoring:

I don´t regulary look people up. In fact very rarely. But when some dirtbag start to rant all by himslef i do look him up. Seems like you think it´s ok with insults. Fine for you mate. Your choise. But i personally don+t think that kind of rudeness have anything in a game to do. :) 

• Bad 1

Players
786 posts
6,863 battles

It comes down to a variety of things... 

Some people take their video games perhaps a bit too seriously.

There's a culture that it's "OK" to be an [edited]on the Internet.

And the huge thing of course, is anonymity. People handle this differently, some people still behave like reasonable adults ... others don't.

The vast majority of these people would never treat you like this to your face. Which is in a sense comforting, though it's also sad they devolve into this on the Internet.

• Cool 1

[X_MAS]
Players
51 posts
6,008 battles

i will give you a pretty simple explanation from someone who is currently chatbanned:

Because this morning in 6 matches 5 were defeats, of which one was a close game well fought, the others were just ridicolous. And i am speaking about , ie: a bismarck failing to sink a desmoines left with 11k hp in open water at 3 km (actually sinking from half hp), a CV leaving is fighters protecting his ship yet still not managing to block a cv snipe,  a team of total newbies running like madmans into the cap, a yamato shooting HE at a neptune and so forth. This is only this morning.

I have the distinct feeling that after the realise of the french BBs the avarage level has gone quite significantly down. Perhaps a lot of very casual and incompetent players have been hooked back to the game through the release of said ships.

The same happened when british BBs were released.

Now get my philosophy and you'll understand why a very social and friendly person like me is starting to loose it in chat: i decide to play a multiplayer , online, team game. Therefore i understand that i will have to give 100% of me to not let down my team mates. I do it because of respect. People are wasting their time and money into playin' the game and they deserve the effort. There is very little "just have fun" when you get teamed with players who put 0 effort in respecting your time and money by playing in the worst possible manner you can think of.

• Cool 4

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles

Why are so many people rude? Well, stuff like this is my reason:

1.thumb.jpg.b33d49c2c13c4301d27541b174ce9d1a.jpg

I've noticed I've gotten progressively more toxic at the game the better I get myself. When you notice how certain bad plays can lose matches on their own and people still do them even though they are so obvious you can be a bit annoyed.

Extremely bad plays impact the fun of the other 11 players on your team, and some people seem to never want to improve or admit that they do something objectively wrong. For instance, losing all your DDs in the first 5 minutes just forces you to play 10-15 minutes of annoying gameplay when you just want to relax and play some ships.

Still, I try to keep it to "slightly exasperated feedback" (maybe an insult or two if it is especially "hammer to the face special") instead of just plain insults. I tend to have a "net income" of karma and have never been chatbanned though so it doesn't seem to be too harsh (though I sometimes get reported when I just give helpful tips, like today while playing ops I told some cruisers to not rush into the enemies mindlessly and just protect the objective, was rewarded with 2 reports).

• Cool 4

Players
786 posts
6,863 battles

Anonymity is really a hell of a thing.

I'm a 39-year-old dude, I think universally regarded as mild-mannered and pleasant in real life. My mother-in-law ADORES me.

Still, I'm not without a competitive streak, and I've occasionally found myself saying people to things during games I'd never say to their faces. It's sobering to look at it a bit later, when that loss in a video game is no longer such a big deal. So it's really a bit of a struggle when you're safe behind that screen.

Still, what troubles me are the fairly common sentiments that it's actually perfectly fine to verbally abuse people online. It's one thing to have a moment of weakness and another to do these rationalizations after the fact.

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles
13 minutes ago, jss78 said:

To be fair, in my case it's not because of the anonymity thing. If I play football I'll chew someone over in the heat of the moment even people I don't know that well, some people are just a bit too competitive.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles
50 minutes ago, jss78 said:

It comes down to a variety of things... 

Some people take their video games perhaps a bit too seriously.

There's a culture that it's "OK" to be an [edited]on the Internet.

And the huge thing of course, is anonymity. People handle this differently, some people still behave like reasonable adults ... others don't.

The vast majority of these people would never treat you like this to your face. Which is in a sense comforting, though it's also sad they devolve into this on the Internet.

If I had co-workers as inept and incompetent as most WoWS players I would tell them in the same honest and firm manner that I do in WoWS. It is dishonest to sugarcoat it when dealing with the inept and the incompetent.:cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,783 posts
11,545 battles
16 minutes ago, jss78 said:

I'm a 39-year-old dude, I think universally regarded as mild-mannered and pleasant in real life. My mother-in-law ADORES me.

Still, I'm not without a competitive streak, and I've occasionally found myself saying people to things during games I'd never say to their faces. It's sobering to look at it a bit later, when that loss in a video game is no longer such a big deal. So it's really a bit of a struggle when you're safe behind that screen.

Still, what troubles me are the fairly common sentiments that it's actually perfectly fine to verbally abuse people online. It's one thing to have a moment of weakness and another to do these rationalizations after the fact.

Perhaps it's even good to have a place to blow off some steam. ..maybe..? I'm not sure about this. I agree on what you say, but I'm not sure putting a wet blanket of political correctness and docility on every aspect on society will lead to better place. I think a great number of people play these game out of competitiveness and a bit of aggression might have to be expected in this. Better in a virtual world than IRL. ..within reason of course...

[SCRUB]
Players
580 posts
3,751 battles

This is by nature a competitive game. So "chill dude it's just a game!" crew should stick with co-op. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind bad players and I play very badly myself time to time...But if you ignore all the basic concepts of a competitive game and ruin the fun for all your teammates for the sake of your own (IMHO wicked) sense of "fun" by doing extremely stupid things on purpose, people will get rude and probably I'll be among them...  

• Cool 2

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,403 battles
1 minute ago, Kenjiro_ said:

This is by nature a competitive game. So "chill dude it's just a game!" crew should stick with co-op. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind bad players and I play very badly myself time to time...But if you ignore all the basic concepts of a competitive game and ruin the fun for all your teammates for the sake of your own (IMHO wicked) sense of "fun" by doing extremely stupid things on purpose, people will get rude and probably I'll be among them...  

But am not taling about bad gameplay mate :) I mean those who start insult without reason. Those are not nice. "ordinary" rant is not a problem. :) But those haters are a problem. Well. not so much to be honest. I must start to ignore more :) But since i have/had cancer so is it not fun to hear" i hope you get cancer" all the time. 

• Cool 1