Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

8000 camo ... no alternatives?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

What if I wanted to pay only for the visual effect, but not the premium effect? Couldn't you release a cheaper version of the visuals-only camo without the 20% and 50%? That I can still upgrade to a "proper" camo by paying the reset of the price if I so desired, later? Just to get the player's feet into the door?

What if I wanted more than one camo? No bundles or multi-buy discount?

What if I was really cheap and still wanted camo? Imagine a "receive random camo" bundle which is cheaper than an individual camo, but the tradeoff is you cannot choose which camo you get. However, you can still choose one or two camo you absolutely don't want to see appear in your mystery loot. You will also not get replicates. Coincidentally this discounted prices and type of bundle is perfect for the individual who wants ALL the camos at once.

WG needs to work on their soft tactics.

P.S. the forum layout is screwed up for me since the space update when I'm logged in, it's fine when not logged in. I'm using Chrome. Removed all cookies and relogged but couldn't fix.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

Nvm I temporarily fixed it by changing to classic theme.

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

There is one thing WG failed to consider ... Which is the social effect of this 8000 camo.

Buying this 8000 camo conveys no benefits to anyone besides myself. It does not help my team. It does not provide more fun to my team, or let them do space-horns. It does not convey to me social benefits which result in a net positive benefit to the social sphere I am inhabiting. In other words, I will not be buying this camo because it might make others salty when they see it on me. It has no "prestige effect" as my Arkansas Beta, a prestige ship, would. It is not a historically based premium ship, which is always better to see in the game, providing variety, and shows one's love for the context. It is not like a ranked prestige ship either, which raises moral of the team it is on.

Furthermore, through mods, I can make every ship in the game as decorated and colourful as a ship with a sci-fi skin. Even if only to myself. I will even be able to change their particle effects and sounds, if I so desired (I don't).

Furthermore, it is not beyond my imagination, nor past experience from other content, to have known content more creative, more eye-candy, more fun, more respectable, more effort put into, and more exclusive, than these space camos. I would have greatly respected WG, and had my moral risen for this game, if the Space Battles were released just as is, as a creative attempt and treat to the players, without the business counterpart ... or if the space camos were at least released in a fun, interesting and masterful way. Even though I heard it is possible to earn them from containers, I doubt I will get lucky, nor will I have time to fully commit to grinding containers for the event, so it might as well be nonexistent to me.

Thus, via conclusion from the above 3 points, and my overall feeling of this event and sale, my conclusion is that sadly I will not be buying a single space camo. I am dissapointed, WG.

P.S. Now I will proceed to donate the allotted funds originally meant for the space camos, to my favourite mod-makers for this game. Of which their skins has conferred more enjoyment to me than relative of what I have donated to them in the past, and in comparison of what I have already spent on this game. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

Now, some of you might find this funny ... it's a holiday, we get a special seasonal event, there's free stuff to earn and it's your free choice to not buy this camo anyways, the compounding of one or more happy things over another, why does it instead result in you being salty and sad? Even dissapointed?

Well, that's both part of the joke and part of why the sadness is quite real. I wonder if anyone will pick up on the joke.

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

And you need an extra thread for this because...? If you look in here, I'd say pretty much every point was already raised (and maybe even answered by WG staff):

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles
20 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

Ans you need an extra thread for this because...? If you look in here, I'd say pretty much every point was already raised (and maybe even answered by WG staff):

That thread focuses on:

Cost worth of camos, according to WG's "effort" narrative.

Idea of "upgrading" existing camos. People with existing T10 camos.

People who actually don't care.

People who actually can't reasonably afford 8000 doubloons.

Opinions on WG's business philosophy.

Want camo, no ship yet.

Multiple colours idea. Other alternative camo patterns ideas. Not selling ideas.

Analysis's going into the specifics of what makes a camo worth getting. (eliastion)

Only thing both threads have in common is some users commenting on their spending habits.

My thread instead focuses on:

Desire for business tactics, and game hosting tactics to actually sell the camos.

Triggers, both positive and negative, from a subjective perspective of the decision to actually buy this camo or not, not an analysis of whether the camo itself is worthy.

What I think, and feel, as a result, which can be generalized from.

Thus, I do have an excuse for my thread, not every point was already raised and answered by WG staff, and if it was a bad thread, mods would have closed it down already. And I don't even require WG staff to answer in my thread.

The only reason I perhaps do not deserve to start a new thread, is that I did not properly put enough thought and structured reasoning behind my points, like an essay.

You have your say and I have mine. You have your style and I have my own habits. Besides, if you wanted me to join in your thread, that invitation is bit too passive-aggressive. 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
43 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Furthermore, through mods, I can make every ship in the game as decorated and colourful as a ship with a sci-fi skin. Even if only to myself. I will even be able to change their particle effects and sounds, if I so desired (I don't).

So why don't you stick to mods, then, if you only care about the visual aspect AND don't really care about others marveling at your special camo?...

WG seems to have decided that these camos are going to be a rare, exclusive thing. Few people will buy more than one, most won't buy them at all - it's pretty obvious and almost certainly intended. Also, these camos being sold as they are is, most likely, an effect heavily influenced by community feedback along the lines of:

1. People want such vanity items but

2. People aren't very happy when everyone and their mother sails speshul ships. Also

3. People weren't happy that the only way to get Halloween camos was gambling with real money - they asked for them to be sold for doublons

Of course, people want such things to also be cheap for them - but it's not possible to have things that are simultaneously easily accessible (sold as camos for doublons) and reasonably affordable price-wise while still remaining a rare sight. With time it could become like that (if they are never sold again) but initially you'd see plenty of them everywhere...

• Cool 1

[RNSF]
Players
203 posts
11,711 battles

8000 doubloons.......last time i was robbed at least the guy had the decency to wear a mask and point a gun........just WOW !

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
1 hour ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Which is the social effect of this 8000 camo.

I think it will lead to worldwide revolution.

But dont tell anyone.

Kappa

• Funny 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,549 posts
5,487 battles

My main issue is I have the perma camo for tier X. So while I probably wouldnt have spent 8k anyway, im definitly not spending 8k after already spending 5k

• Cool 2

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
1 hour ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

That thread focuses on:

1) Cost worth of camos, according to WG's "effort" narrative.

2) Idea of "upgrading" existing camos. People with existing T10 camos.

3) People who actually don't care.

4) People who actually can't reasonably afford 8000 doubloons.

5) Opinions on WG's business philosophy.

6) Want camo, no ship yet.

7) Multiple colours idea. Other alternative camo patterns ideas. Not selling ideas.

8) Analysis's going into the specifics of what makes a camo worth getting. (eliastion)

Only thing both threads have in common is some users commenting on their spending habits.

My thread instead focuses on:

A) Desire for business tactics, and game hosting tactics to actually sell the camos.

B) Triggers, both positive and negative, from a subjective perspective of the decision to actually buy this camo or not, not an analysis of whether the camo itself is worthy.

C) What I think, and feel, as a result, which can be generalized from.

Thus, I do have an excuse for my thread, not every point was already raised and answered by WG staff, and if it was a bad thread, mods would have closed it down already. And I don't even require WG staff to answer in my thread.

The only reason I perhaps do not deserve to start a new thread, is that I did not properly put enough thought and structured reasoning behind my points, like an essay.

You have your say and I have mine. You have your style and I have my own habits. Besides, if you wanted me to join in your thread, that invitation is bit too passive-aggressive. 

First off, it is not MY thread but it was opened by Allied_Winter. I haven't even added any posts in there (yet) IIRC.

I don't want you to join his thread (read: I am not desperately begging for your attention to comment this matter but I am not against you joining the discussion) but I see little point in opening a new thread if you could have just added your thoughts to an already existing one where they should have fit as well - preferably without producing double/triple/quadruple posts.

As for the differences between the two threads (added numbers and letters for better overview):

A belongs into 5 and 2 (your very first sentences)

B can be found in 1 and 4 even though you exclude them. The price is an important trigger as well. Additionally other people came about how they don't want to buy these camos because they have no place in a WW2 ship game etc.

Since most people wrote "what they feel" in the other thread... Again, not really a difference.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles
1 hour ago, Tungstonid said:

A belongs into 5 and 2 (your very first sentences)

B can be found in 1 and 4 even though you exclude them. The price is an important trigger as well. Additionally other people came about how they don't want to buy these camos because they have no place in a WW2 ship game etc.

Since most people wrote "what they feel" in the other thread... Again, not really a difference.

Business philosophy is rather their attitude. I should have worded it more clearly. What I meant was not their attitude, but their technique. For instance, most shops have a "loyalty program" or "membership card". Think of it as free exp doubloons version, or extra rent-a-premium tokens or lottery draws for purchases. "technique".

As for B, while price is an important decision factor, when I say "trigger" I mean subjective triggers like "I hate WG I won't buy their stuff" or "I love space battles WG made them amazing insta-buy".

It's "I hate to spend money on this but it will give me overwhelming superiority over my opponent so I will buy it anyways". That's what I mean by triggers. The factors in your mind which have the last say, which come through as your decision even against opposing factors. The Final triggers of action.

Things like "WG deserves some credit for their work, while I'm buying the camo, I'm actually paying for their effort and as a sign of support". Overarching decisions and triggers.

P.S. and sorry for being confrontational on answering you. 

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

i like how this thread starts... 4 posts of monologue at start :Smile_teethhappy:

btw where is my wall of text? :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
75 posts
2,424 battles
13 minutes ago, robihr said:

i like how this thread starts... 4 posts of monologue at start :Smile_teethhappy:

Hi robihr. I fundamentally disagree with your opinion on a deep personal level that matters to me emotionally, spiritually and mentally. I believe that you are incorrect and that you should refrain from posting such incorrect opinions in my vicinity on a public forum on the internet. I would appreciate it if you would not reply to this post which will take me at least 37 minutes to type as I froth at the mouth over how ignorant and facile your points are, but to clarify, I'm not angry at you, I simply believe that I am several levels your intellectual superior and that your arguments have no basis in reality if you think about them for 30 seconds, unless you have the mental capacity of a 6 month old puppy.

First of all you say that you like how this thread starts, I don't see how your personal concerns are of any relevance here and I don't believe that anyone is interested in reading your opinion on a website designed for, built around the concept of and used by people expecting to share opinions and ideas with other people. Please keep your opinions to yourself as they are subjective. My opinions however are fact and you should immediately recognise and accept this because I just told you so. If you disagree you are incorrect.

Secondly you claim that there are "4 posts of monologue at start" when you clearly should have said "4 posts of monologue at the start." Clearly this renders your argument invalid and any reply would be a pointless waste of my incredibly superior mental energy so I won't reply to it. Anyway the first reply is a single line of text, hardly a monologue is it? See, you're factually incorrect. If you ever make a factually correct point in response to this post I will refer you back to this incorrect argument so that I don't have to reply to any factually correct statements you make, because they're all incorrect, because you once made a technically incorrect statement.

Finally you ask for a wall of text, well you're clearly a troll, 10/10 for making me reply. I'm going to stop typing now because making me respond to you was clearly your aim in making this post. I don't actually have a thread up like some of the other pros here but I'm considering making one just to ban you from it.

Also your use of emojis as punctuation disturbs me.

(I have literally no idea what the walls of texts are arguing about. My eyes glaze over when I read them and they seem silly. I think I nailed the tone though.)

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

I thought about it a bit more.

According to Sub-Octavian, on Reddit QA, players were using “emotional thinking” in their reaction to the pricing of the space camps.

However, according to my “final trigger” view, buying impulse is also primarily “emotional thinking”.

Which means as briefly as possible, the emotional effect of a business tactic cannot be dismissed. 

“Emotional” can also be highly complex, and not the “hot-headed moralistic impulse” view it is usually (wrongly) seen as. Humans can have incredible variations of emotions, and incredibly deep and complex triggers behind them. 

Thus when I’ve the time later maybe I’ll attempt some brief notes on how this “emotional” description actually encompasses, and how it actually works (and how can maybe make it work for WoWs).

An analysis of “emotional” effect in the context of business environment may also be on the list.

As well as how “emotional” is used in examples of similar business ... with references. Maybe in military-themed magazines. Or games with a different kind of “host” image construction. It’s a lot of stuff.

Wish I had some personal interns I can send off to investigate on this kind of stuff.

Edit: I know! Note to self: use the insignia contest as applied study.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
612 posts
5,582 battles

Does the camo also change firing effects such as sprites and noises, toi be in line with the space mode?

[AAA-]
Players
627 posts
4,778 battles
11 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Does the camo also change firing effects such as sprites and noises, toi be in line with the space mode?

From what I saw on Youtube no green shells, laser AA or sounds but yes blue electric when on fire and fire from smoke stacks.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
624 posts
9,808 battles

And I saw a few guys driving around with this camo.... man I would invest this money into some games for Steam or Origin.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
612 posts
5,582 battles
3 minutes ago, SteDorff said:

From what I saw on Youtube no green shells, laser AA or sounds but yes blue electric when on fire and fire from smoke stacks.

I'm never buying this anyway, being a bit anal retentive with keeping my ships (even the paper ones) looking 'realistic', but what's the point without all that stuff? I suppose it's to maintain the visual integrity for the rest of the players in a match or something, but you either buy a spaceship or not.

[1DSF]
[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,234 posts
3,745 battles
On 3/29/2018 at 4:22 PM, robihr said:

Yep, this is a "Drama Queen" thread as it's best! :Smile_facepalm:

Sign in to follow this