You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Great changes to HMS Cossack

51 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
6,944 posts
9,129 battles

Still only effectively 4 guns with those turret angles unless you want to straightline broadside on the entire time you're shooting.

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

What did they give it before? 8 x 120mm is historically accurate.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,389 posts
14,127 battles
23 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

It was the later configuration with 3x2 4.7in, and 1x2 4in that acted as AA and secondary artillery

• Cool 1

Players
3,455 posts
7,229 battles
14 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Most of the Tribals had the X turret removed and replaced with AA guns instead, although I'm not sure if Cossack was one of them.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
1,016 posts
15,381 battles
16 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Most of the Tribals had the X turret removed and replaced with AA guns instead, although I'm not sure if Cossack was one of them.

All of them had X mount removed and replaced with 4inch mount, including the Cossack, except two lost during the Norway Campaign. All those built after in Canada and Australia had either 3x2 4.7inch + 1x2 4inch all 4x2 4inch configuration.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,608 posts
6,688 battles
58 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

[Edit] I did originally suggest that Cossack will have been lost before that upgrade.  Date of her sinking was 23 October 1941.  RIP 159 crew.  It looks like the decision was made after losses of Gurkha and Afridi in 1940 so I'd have been wrong.

• Cool 2

Players
761 posts
6,661 battles

Ah, that's excellent. She's Aigle with Fubuki's concealment and torp range, those bonkers single/ripple fire RN torps and four guns available at all angles.  Will it work at Tier VII? Not entirely sure but I think it might be a whole load of fun finding out.  :)

• Cool 6

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles

Is it still single/wide on the torp spread? Hopefully wide will be replaced by narrow as I can't ever see myself using wide, especially with only 4 torps.

• Cool 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,052 posts
9,616 battles
4 minutes ago, CleverViking said:

Is it still single/wide on the torp spread? Hopefully wide will be replaced by narrow as I can't ever see myself using wide, especially with only 4 torps.

was fixed when they broght in hydro to narow single?

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,036 battles
12 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Still only effectively 4 guns with those turret angles unless you want to straightline broadside on the entire time you're shooting.

Oh, great... another Aigle experience. :fish_boom:

Players
1,371 posts
6,125 battles

I send this back in Jan 18.  Every little bit helps.

On 22/01/2018 at 6:55 PM, Tuccy said:

Do not forget that she is still in the tests (actually first Live test right now) - so we will for sure have a look at the stats and feedback. 

As for the configuration, yes, the Norway and esp. Dunkirk and Mediterranean convinced the Royal Navy that 4.7" guns with 40°elevation and no HACS cannot really be called "Dual Purpose". As a bonus Cossack is currently one of the few DDs with secondaries ;)

In any case let's see how she changes

I feel sorry for this lad. I mean I'm sure he really wanted to say " look chaps, this ship is crap at the moment but I know that. the guys are looking Into it, maybe, might be, don't know really".

"It has secondaries" I bet he said that through a nervous laugh :Smile_Default::Smile_hiding:. Has ball pointing that selling point out.Lol

Not having a go but it does make you laugh.

Let's not mess around and give it 2x4 guns for a start for god sake and the HP to go with it.. Its a hardy gun ship that often worked on its tod, represent that.  It always had 4 torps launchers so fine, its not a torpedo boat. Its a gun ship. Make it that way and stop messing around.

The Tribal class is THE British dd. Don't wreck it like this. I'm not a dd player but really want this ship but not if WG don't pull their finger out. 

Although 2x4 could be in the silver line.

I'm glad WG have come to their senses with this little gem.  It wont be OP because it should have higher concealment than others (thinking Kaba syle) and 4th turret arc for knife fights will be bad for anything but in smoke.  But its what it should be, a gun boat and not a torp one (only 4 torps)   :cap_tea:.  Im not a DD player but i would buy this :cap_money:

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,214 posts
13,980 battles
12 hours ago, Aotearas said:

not really gun archs for 3 turrets are pretty good

Untitled.png.642a4c25e6fe85884192114aa2029137.png

[SCRUB]
Players
6,944 posts
9,129 battles
16 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

not really gun archs for 3 turrets are pretty good

Untitled.png.642a4c25e6fe85884192114aa2029137.png

Then WG must've adjusted the remaining turret clearances aswell, because last time I saw the Cossack in action (I think it was a Flamu preview video) the fore- and rearmost turrets had absolutely abysmal firing angles and essentially could only be fired together at a target to the side of the ship if you showed more or less perfect broadside.

Found the video for reference (old WiP):

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,214 posts
13,980 battles
10 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Then WG must've adjusted the remaining turret clearances aswell, because last time I saw the Cossack in action (I think it was a Flamu preview video) the fore- and rearmost turrets had absolutely abysmal firing angles and essentially could only be fired together at a target to the side of the ship if you showed more or less perfect broadside.

Found the video for reference (old WiP):

NOPE... The Main guns on old Cossack was in A B and Y Locations with X turret being a Secondery with great gun Archs

Now X turret is a main Primary Turret

cossack4.png.6a8e362f4cc66b324aa79e47f6d7be15.png

The Great Gun Archs of the X turret location is the reason this turret was changed to 100mm DP guns on the Tribals

This is a Great Move....  @MrConway

All we need know is another tier 7 or 8 Tribal in Commonwealth tech tree. with 4x2 100mm DP guns.. 

[SCRUB]
Players
6,944 posts
9,129 battles
9 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

NOPE... The Main guns on old Cossack was in A B and X Locations with Y turret being a Secondery with great gun Archs

Know Y turret is a main Primary Turret

cossack4.png.6a8e362f4cc66b324aa79e47f6d7be15.png

Yeah, but that still means the only turrets with decent gun angles are the B and Y turrets. A and X still necessitate to show almost perfect broadside to bring them on target if they didn't improve the gun angles.

So that's two guns with good angles, not three. And with that I'm back to what I initially said: unless you straightline nicely broadside, you still only have 4 guns in the Cossack.

And just to make sure you don't misunderstand me, I'm perfectly aware that the old WiP Cossack whose video I linked has the A+B+X gun configuration and the new Cossack would replace the AA/secondary gun on the Y position with another main battery. The gun angles for the other guns are still absolutely shite though, unless WG improved them since the last WiP version.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,214 posts
13,980 battles
2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Yeah, but that still means the only turrets with decent gun angles are the B and Y turrets. A and X still necessitate to show almost perfect broadside to bring them on target if they didn't improve the gun angles.

So that's two guns with good angles, not three. And with that I'm back to what I initially said: unless you straightline nicely broadside, you still only have 4 guns in the Cossack.

again no. Look at below Picture the gun archs marked in red is where HMS Cossack can get 3 turrets trained this is pretty much the same as many other DDs, Cossack has pretty much  same gun arches for 3 turrets as Gadjah Mada with the ability to get 4 turrets trained something the Gadjah Mada cant do

Untitled.png.782f81ded720e0ff36ad616c3ea4fd28.png

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,581 battles

9 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

And just to make sure you don't misunderstand me, I'm perfectly aware that the old WiP Cossack whose video I linked has the A+B+X gun configuration and the new Cossack would replace the AA/secondary gun on the Y position with another main battery. The gun angles for the other guns are still absolutely shite though, unless WG improved them since the last WiP version.

Well, your definition is interesting. The point is, the 6-gun arc now start at less than 30 degrees from the bow and stern, which makes the ship a 6-gun ship most of the time (and 4-gun for head-on/stern-on)

[SCRUB]
Players
6,944 posts
9,129 battles

Alright, I done messed up, sorry folks.

I gotmentally stuck on the horrible firing arcs of the A and X turrets that I didn't realize that they don't have to have overlapping firing angles since the other turret would be taking over so to speak.

In my defence, I just woke up ...

• Cool 6

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,809 battles

Well, all I can say is, she looks like she is heading in the right direction to take up a slot in my port.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,214 posts
13,980 battles
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

I gotmentally stuck on the horrible firing arcs of the A and X turrets that I didn't realize that they don't have to have overlapping firing angles since the other turret would be taking over so to speak.

Was pretty sure it was something like this.... this is why i reposted the picture...  :Smile_honoring:

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,970 posts
5,450 battles

Still the same torp load out... not impressed. 

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,036 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

So, not another Aigle experience, then? :fish_aqua:

Well, that's good to know. Horrible firing arcs will inconvenience any ship, but will outright kill those dependent on their manoevrability.

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Glad to hear she got the X turret back where it belongs, seeing as Cossack never had the 102mm gun turret. (sunk before the refit)

Still fully intending to buy her personally.