Sign in to follow this  
The_Dunk_Squad

Cleveland's Guns, Can't Hit anything with them.

15 comments in this topic

Players
144 posts
1,756 battles

Any tips? I just got the Cleveland after thoroughly enjoying the Omaha and it's a huge signal shock to me. In my first game in the Cleveland I literally could not hit anything at all. Is it just something I have to play a lot to get used to? I really want to make this ship work because I love the Cleveland class (and it's successors), but the gun velocity is just... Urgh. What am I supposed to be shooting? I played the Omaha hunting Destroyers with Hydro and basically just blasting them at close range, citadelling Cruisers under 10km and then resorting to HE spam on BBs. With the way Cleveland's guns work, I assume it'd be nigh on impossible to actually hit DDs, even at close range, and you don't have Hydro, so you can't scout smoke screens safely. The shell arc of the AP is really high too, making it kinda difficult to citadel cruisers at close range, so I'm left with spamming HE on Battleships?

LdLCjPD.png

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,488 posts
10,344 battles

Clevelands arcs are not much different from Omaha.

Play Co-Op for training.

[CORNG]
Players
582 posts
10,922 battles

At close range a cleve is a nightmare for every DD. 12 fast reloading arguments. You can equip hydro, but normaly dont do it much. The def AA is too strong to Not use it. The AP ist strong too, i only use it against broadside cruisers. IHFE is a must have in my Opinion.

Islands are your friends. Especially in Early Game. Your Plan is to Lob Shells over and cant get hit. And Shoot down Planes. Your have to practise hitting with Cleve. Thus is useful for other ships also (US DDs etc.). But you can Master it. Train this in randoms. 

[PUPSI]
Players
5,804 posts
Vor 18 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:

Play Co-Op for training.

Cleveland is also very useful in most scenarios, like Killer Whale or Raptor Rescue...

• Cool 1

Players
1,858 posts
5,840 battles

Practice in coop. And I think the Cleveland arcs are actually a strong point of the ship, I really dislike flat arcs when it's hardly possible to shoot over an island because of flat gun arcs. Cleveland is fantastic for ops :Smile_great:

Players
726 posts
6,607 battles
1 hour ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

but the gun velocity is just... Urgh. What am I supposed to be shooting?

You have two issues with the Cleveland - firstly the gun arcs (which are high, as with US DD) and the fact that the opposition at Tier VI is quicker than you might expect - you're firing at DD's like Aigle, Gnevny and Jianwei which are mighty quick (wait until you meet a Leningrad!). Make sure you're using the Dynamic Crosshair, which gives you a better idea of the lead time and lead your guns a little more than you have done. A good tactic for DDs is to over-lead and then fire your turrets in sequence, while still aiming at the same point - you should get at least one turret salvo in the right place and that should help you work out how much lead you need to give. When you get it right, Cleveland is a devastating ship and a royal pain to play against. Don't forget your 1,000 secondary guns, either....

Players
425 posts

imo most important tip is: zoom-out as far as possible (meaning: zoom out as far as still manageble). I faced same with Indianapolis + Pensacola (=at first missing too much). It was only recently when I decided to zoom-out further that I got more and better hits. Try it out: you will be surprised about the results (more citadels etc. lol). as a matter of fact same applies also for the French T6 cruisers (=better results by zooming-out further). so, do some experimentings with it, to see whats best to yr likings.

[3STG]
Players
321 posts
9,308 battles

It's quite tricky when comparing to some railguns available, but to compare with Omaha, there is'nt much difference. Only the range might differ. Clevelands arcs are, as mentioned in this thread, its strong point ; You can (and perhaps should) fire over islands, from and to, while not being detected. In close range, I don't know what to say. Maybe practise in co-op or something, cause there really is nothing wrong with it. Slow, heavy AP shell will citadell ships with low to underwater citadell even at relatively close range. HE has some drag and quite slow velocity, thus one should take more lead (up-down) when ship is approaching or gaining distance.

Every ship has its own charasteristics that should be tested and learned when aquiring it in order to be effective. US shell arcs is one of them and to really master it, it will take time. But, it will pay off eventually.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

Cleveland guns are very good. I dont like to say this, but its a severe case of "git gud". Yes the shell arcs themselves are bad compared with ships like Budyonny, but 1 million times better than what DDs, Atlantas and Minotaurs have to deal with. Also tons of the ships that Cleveland meets are super slow and easy to hit targets like Colorados and even some cruisers like Graf Spee. Stop get used to the guns fast, it wont get much better the higher you go considering the faster ships found on tiers 8-10. Like good luck hitting a Khabarovsk with a DM at 10km or longer.

[SCRUB]
Players
471 posts
12,441 battles

OP, practice your guns in coop and you will get to like them, once you've got used to them try them in randoms.

[UNICS]
Players
28 posts
15,612 battles
Am 28.3.2018 um 09:30, Klopirat sagte:

Cleveland is also very useful in most scenarios, like Killer Whale or Raptor Rescue...

cant remember in which scenarios it is not usefull. give me a hand please!

[PUPSI]
Players
5,804 posts
Vor 1 Stunde, 000_LULU_000 sagte:

cant remember in which scenarios it is not usefull. give me a hand please!

I usually try to avoid to make so general statements with "all" ;)

Players
559 posts
On 28/03/2018 at 8:10 AM, ColonelPete said:

Clevelands arcs are not much different from Omaha.

Play Co-Op for training.

There's enough of a difference that I'm confident I can take on Clevelands 1 on 1 in my Omaha at ranges of 13 km or more. Omaha will hit a much higher proportion of shells than Cleveland at that range. At 10 kms or less, Cleveland will wreck Omaha.

The annoying thing with Cleveland is that you have to re-calibrate your aiming if you're playing other ships.

The Cleveland is the king of the bot missions. Defending  Newport this week. Stupid bots don't dodge your shells, plus you know where they're coming from so you can position your ship to citadel the cruisers easily.

Sign in to follow this