Yaskaraxx

YueYang vs Chungmu with regard to HE shell damage output

7 comments in this topic

Players
444 posts
19,168 battles

I am VERY curious to know how the following is even possible:

My YueYang (X) was chasing a Cungmu (IX) right in front of me, fleeing in straight line in front of YUE. My Yue has 2.7 reload + fcaus 2x2=4 guns at front, fastly firing. ChungMu could only fire with its 2x1=2 guns at the rear. So, fcaus my Yue did far more hits. Stats after battle stated following:

YueYang: 23 hits-4838 damage (= 210 average per hit)

ChungMu: 14 hits- 7524 damage (= average per hit 537!!!!!)

(ChungMu was sunk by Yue, but THAT is not the point here)

Can someone pls explain this immense difference in HE-shell-damage-output?? Should I maybe sell my tier X YueYang and get a far better (????)ChungMu (IX) instead (...or maybe even a Hsienyang VIII)?

I am very curious what the explanation for this can be. ths for yr constructive reply in advance :cap_wander::cap_wander_2:

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,206 posts
11,015 battles

Really hard to explain situations like this without a replay ;)

Maybe it was:

• RNG -> you hit more modules (guns, AA turrets etc.) which took the damage instead of the ship
  • Damage Saturation -> he already took a lot damage to the section you hit, it was saturated and you got lower damage for the hits
  • Cool 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

^
plus

• hit registration -> shows up as hits client side, but are not registered by the server

The HE alpha is the same so should be any combination of these factors.

Also when shooting at other targets take into consideration that Spaced armor and Torpedo belts take no damage despite showing up as successful penetrations.

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles
Spoiler

9 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

I am VERY curious to know how the following is even possible:

My YueYang (X) was chasing a Cungmu (IX) right in front of me, fleeing in straight line in front of YUE. My Yue has 2.7 reload + fcaus 2x2=4 guns at front, fastly firing. ChungMu could only fire with its 2x1=2 guns at the rear. So, fcaus my Yue did far more hits. Stats after battle stated following:

YueYang: 23 hits-4838 damage (= 210 average per hit)

ChungMu: 14 hits- 7524 damage (= average per hit 537!!!!!)

(ChungMu was sunk by Yue, but THAT is not the point here)

Can someone pls explain this immense difference in HE-shell-damage-output?? Should I maybe sell my tier X YueYang and get a far better (????)ChungMu (IX) instead (...or maybe even a Hsienyang VIII)?

I am very curious what the explanation for this can be. ths for yr constructive reply in advance :cap_wander::cap_wander_2:

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Really hard to explain situations like this without a replay ;)

Maybe it was:

• RNG -> you hit more modules (guns, AA turrets etc.) which took the damage instead of the ship
  • Damage Saturation -> he already took a lot damage to the section you hit, it was saturated and you got lower damage for the hits

simple, Cornflakes told you.

I'm just amazed how player with 15k battles don't know simple game mechanic

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/guides/

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,100 battles
On 3/27/2018 at 11:49 PM, Affeks said:

^
plus

• hit registration -> shows up as hits client side, but are not registered by the server

The HE alpha is the same so should be any combination of these factors.

Also when shooting at other targets take into consideration that Spaced armor and Torpedo belts take no damage despite showing up as successful penetrations.

That is the case for AP, HE does only check if it shatters or explodes, spaced armor and torp belts have no effect on HE afaik ...

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
2 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

That is the case for AP, HE does only check if it shatters or explodes, spaced armor and torp belts have no effect on HE afaik ...

Yes it does, set up a training room and shoot Iowa or Amagi main belt at point blank with 203 HE or 152 HE with IFHE. Youll see you get pens but 0 damage as their torpedo belt is 32 mm and covers the much thicker main belt. 

Inside spaced armor and torpedo belts are no hitboxes for the modular damage system, so if you only pen said layer you deal no damage no matter what shell type.

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,100 battles
On 4/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, Affeks said:

Yes it does, set up a training room and shoot Iowa or Amagi main belt at point blank with 203 HE or 152 HE with IFHE. Youll see you get pens but 0 damage as their torpedo belt is 32 mm and covers the much thicker main belt. 

Inside spaced armor and torpedo belts are no hitboxes for the modular damage system, so if you only pen said layer you deal no damage no matter what shell type.

Thanks for the info, I thought HE pen only decides if the shell explodes or shatters and that the ship is always damaged if not saturated ...