You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Allied_Winter

WG and the prices of space (and other) texture changing perma camos

WG and the perma camos  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the cost of 8000 dubloons (roughly 30€) per space camos in their current state is justified (caution: It's not only color but also texture you'd get)

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know?
    • Don't care!
    • Other (please specify in comments)
  2. 2. What would be a suitable price for you to pay for such a space camo?

• Less than current TX permanent camos (<5000 dubloons)
    • Same than current TX permenent camos (= 5000 dubloons)
    • More than current TX permanent camos (>5000 dubloons)
    • Don't know?
    • Don't care!
  3. 3. If the camos were offered at a price of your liking, would you buy one/more?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Only if better boni are applied than on regular permanent camos!
    • Don't know?
    • Don't care!
  4. 4. Would you like WG to offer an 'upgrade' of current permanent camos to space camo (exchange an existing permanent camo for a space camo and pay the cost difference)?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Only for a cost difference of X (please specify in comments)
    • Don't know?
    • Don't care!
  5. 5. Would you like to offer WG more such special permanent camos that not only alter the color but also the texture of a ship?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Not at the current prices (please specify in comments).
    • Don't know?
    • Don't care!

198 comments in this topic

Quality Poster
2,927 posts
7,918 battles

So, with patch 0.7.3 the space camos for certain TX ships become available in the shop. For the price of 8000 dubloons per ship. That's roughly 30€ (don't know what it'd be in the Queens money). 

This springs a whole lot of questions for WG but also for the players to answer. Some of them I listed in the poll. Others come from the resulting discussion about the camos.

I start with a quote from MrConway (from a few minutes ago on reddit)

We understand that the camouflages' price is controversial, but please bear in mind that we have never sold a skin like this for a tier 10 ship that not only completely changes the visuals, but also the geometry of the ship.

We heard a lot of feedback about the skins being in crates only with the Halloween mode, so we wanted to try a different approach this time around.

With the work we put into making them, we feel the price is within reason. I'll make sure to stick around and pass your feedback on though!

To a certain extend I agree with him since the camo's are "only" eye candy since they offer the same boni as the existing regular TX permanent camos, and ... well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And while I think that the regular TX perma camo's (while expensive) were worth their money if someone plays the ship a lot, this is a no no.

I do have some more thoughts in mind, but like to hear your input (and poll answers) first before I expand more on them. E.g. where could this lead if WG continues to go on with the path of 8k special event camos? Or could WG offer a 8k dubloons year pass (as in: pay 8k dubloons per TX ship and get every special camo that are released in the next 365 days).

Greetings

• Cool 2

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles

lol after i submit and noticed 100% for a second i was fooled that there is a lot with same opinion like me....
Just 2 of us lmao
I was going to grab Aurora camo, no matter that i dont play my Moskva.
now my YY will get new paint

Rasputin was 6k and it looks.......

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,927 posts
7,918 battles
Just now, _VAMPA_ said:

lol after i submit and noticed 100% for a second i was fooled that there is a lot with same opinion like me....
Just 2 of us lmao

Yeah. The early adopter problem: Yay we already have 100% ... wait... only two votes cast...

From what I get from others, the problem of having multiple camos (even with the same stats) get's more and more pronounced. Having multiple camos to choose from is nice. Paying for each of them as if you didn't have any is ... just too much.

Which again brings me to the point: Why is WG so stubborn consistent on not splitting the design of a camo and it's boni?

Greetings

Quality Poster
2,927 posts
7,918 battles
Just now, bushwacker001 said:

From my point of view, it will be turned off and ignored completely.

I guess that's where the 'Don't care' option of the poll comes in handy.

On a serious note: If I can improve anything on the poll itself, let me know.

[PUPSI]
Players
5,830 posts

on the other hand:

Since the stats of the Space Skins are the same as the standard premium camos, the "pressure" to pay 8k is lower, at least for me. If 8k are too much for you, you can stay with the 5k camos and don't have a disadvantage regarding earnings...

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,195 posts
10,992 battles

8k dubloons is about 30€. Just for a camo.

I understand that it was a lot fo work to make them, but seriously, you can get a full game for this price.

One camo for 30€ is just not worth it, especially when it has the same effects as regular permanent camos.

• Cool 12

Quality Poster
2,927 posts
7,918 battles
14 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

on the other hand:

Since the stats of the Space Skins are the same as the standard premium camos, the "pressure" to pay 8k is lower, at least for me. If 8k are too much for you, you can stay with the 5k camos and don't have a disadvantage regarding earnings...

That was the same problem that Tuccy spoke about in the relevant reddit thread: 

This is a very tricky discussion to have, as then there is the other argument that we would force players to mount skins they do not like just because the bonuses :) In the end we selected the same model as with the Richelieu and Gascogne skins and kept the bonuses same.

So if I want to take at least SOME positive things from it, it'd be that.

Greetings

Edited by MrConway
colours fixed

[POI--]
Players
42 posts
4,425 battles

I can see the whole "8000 Doubloons is a fair price for this much work" on a camo argument but at the same time I got to say 8000 doubloons puts me off even thinking about the camo now. 

It feels unrealistic to price it that high...

I could eat and drink for a whole week for that price and thats the issue with it. :cap_fainting:

• Cool 7

[IDDQD]
Players
1,618 posts
15,181 battles

still not decided, rly like Republique space camo so maybe I will buy it. For most T10 ships I already have standard prem camo so not going buy another one for them.

Have some dublons from CW rewards so probably I will buy prem.time+dublon pack to reach 8k and thats it.

btw when you compare standard prem camo for 5k (just some colors) and this space camo, 8k is quite fair price (not saying its cheap). 

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,867 posts
22 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

From my point of view, it will be turned off and ignored completely.

I know I will. 

On a sidenote, I wouldn't be opposed to WG offering regular-looking camo's with different bonuses to premium ships. A bit like the Tirpitz-camo you could earn 2 years ago during New-Year. 

An alternative camo which swaps out regular XP-gain for increased FXP and/or commander XP.

Quality Poster
2,927 posts
7,918 battles
4 minutes ago, Kongouuu said:

I can see the whole "8000 Doubloons is a fair price for this much work" on a camo argument but at the same time I got to say 8000 doubloons puts me off even thinking about the camo now. 

I could eat and drink for a whole week for that price and thats the issue with it. :cap_fainting:

Well I live in Munich so .... for the price of one Space Camo I could visit the cinema once (or twice if I skip on popcorn and coke). But your initial point is well worth thinking about it: For that price I honestly don't even think about buying (thus appreciating the work) those camos. And I was pretty hyped for Space Moskva and Memes.

Judging from the Hood video a while ago where WG talked about the Workload to design the whole ship (and while @MrConway is here): Maybe he can find out how many working hours were spent on each space camo.

2 minutes ago, Quetak said:

still not decided, rly like Republique space camo so maybe I will buy it. For most T10 ships I already have standard prem camo so not going buy another one for them.

Have some dublons from CW rewards so probably I will buy prem.time+dublon pack to reach 8k and thats it.

btw when you compare standard prem camo for 5k (just some colors) and this space camo, 8k is quite fair price (not saying its cheap). 

May I ask: Would you be happy with an 'upgrade' of your regular permacamos to space camos for the (currently) 3k dubloons?

Greetings

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,218 posts
5,866 battles

It is a bit much in my opinion aswell....I mean I'm probably going to buy one of them either way, but 30€? Quite the price.

I was planning to purchase 2 of them, but with this price, I'm sticking to one....And even that is a difficult decision.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,863 posts
2,148 battles
6 minutes ago, Kongouuu said:

We had real issues coming up with and agreeing on a price for these camos. We were looking at our regular tier 10 permanent camos that are currently priced at 5K doubloons and offer a significant bonus to the ship and make it much more comfortable to play from an economic point of view. While 5K doubloons is not cheap, we always felt it was a good price for what it offers.

Now we have these gorgeous space skins that required a lot of work and offer not just visual- but also geometric variety. And as they also provide the same bonuses as the regular tier 10 perma camouflages (anything else didn't make sense to us) we did not feel we could sell them for the same price.

We did the same when it comes to Richelieu by the way, the "Maid of Orleans" and "Republic" camos cost 5k doubloons, compared to the Type 18 (standard permanent) at 3K.

I will make sure to let the developers know your opinions as well as the poll results from this thread, as this is our first time doing these kind of skins the feedback is very appreciated and will be taken into account for how we proceed with this in future.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,780 battles

My biggest issue with the camos isn't the base price, but what it means for those who have already bought 5k camos for their tier X ships.

The best solution would be if the game cut 4-5k from the price of the space camos if you already own the regular perma camo.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,863 posts
2,148 battles
5 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

My biggest issue with the camos isn't the base price, but what it means for those who have already bought 5k camos for their tier X ships.

The best solution would be if the game cut 4-5k from the price of the space camos if you already own the regular perma camo.

This is a point that was discussed several times internally prior to the update, but it was unfortunately not even possible to do within the current framework of the game and there was not enough time to implement the functionality before the release.

[IDDQD]
Players
1,618 posts
15,181 battles
17 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

May I ask: Would you be happy with an 'upgrade' of your regular permacamos to space camos for the (currently) 3k dubloons?

hard question, 8k for one new or 9k for 3 upgraded visuals....cannot say for sure, at least I would be thinking about it seriously.

Players
960 posts
4,863 battles

Will disable them do they don't mess up My aim. While some of them look really good, I just don't see the point in spending this much money on something that changes perfectly nice ships. Would rather buy a kidd or lo yang for it tbh. Not that I will do that either, have enough premiums and don't really need captain trainers. Too bad the graphics department is putting the most work in. There are several issues with the game that should have some more priority. Most important of those rendering.

• Cool 3

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,758 battles

Pleased you had a 'don;t care' option in all sections - if I wanted to play a space ship game I would play a space ship game - light relief, which is what the april fool event is about, is a nice break (I hope), but for taking these into ordinary gameplay, no thanks.

I have the steam punk cammo's for the relevant ships, but dont use them.

• Cool 1

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles

Honestly, I feel 5k is way overpriced for prem camos anyway. 8k dubs is ≈ £25, for comparison I could buy a game like Subnautica for less than £20. However that's just my opinion though, WG are free to set their prices and whoever thinks it's a fair price are free to purchase them.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,780 battles
2 minutes ago, MrConway said:

This is a point that was discussed several times internally prior to the update, but it was unfortunately not even possible to do within the current framework of the game and there was not enough time to implement the functionality before the release.

That's really unfortunate, because I think you are specifically alienating most of your potential buyers by not offering something like that.

Those who are most likely to pay a substantial amount of money for a permanent camo are of course those who have already done so.

Now you are left with those who for whatever reason don't have a tier X perma camo but at the same time would pay 30€ for one if it made their ship look like a spaceship. And those who have so much money that they'll gladly pay 30€ for a purely cosmetic camo despite it not offering any additional bonuses for them.

• Cool 5

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,758 battles
29 minutes ago, MrConway said:

We had real issues coming up with and agreeing on a price for these camos. We were looking at our regular tier 10 permanent camos that are currently priced at 5K doubloons and offer a significant bonus to the ship and make it much more comfortable to play from an economic point of view. While 5K doubloons is not cheap, we always felt it was a good price for what it offers.

Now we have these gorgeous space skins that required a lot of work and offer not just visual- but also geometric variety. And as they also provide the same bonuses as the regular tier 10 perma camouflages (anything else didn't make sense to us) we did not feel we could sell them for the same price.

We did the same when it comes to Richelieu by the way, the "Maid of Orleans" and "Republic" camos cost 5k doubloons, compared to the Type 18 (standard permanent) at 3K.

I will make sure to let the developers know your opinions as well as the poll results from this thread, as this is our first time doing these kind of skins the feedback is very appreciated and will be taken into account for how we proceed with this in future.

I fully appreciate that you guys have invested a significant volume of resources into producing these, and no doubt the event will look superb and (should) be great fun as a break from the usual, but if it needs this level of 'payback', isn't that a bit much.  I could understand charging the same price as the premium cammo in trying to get some payback on the event, over and above what else it will entail from us guys. But 8k is excessive, sorry, but it is.

[ edited for better English ;) ]

[POI--]
Players
42 posts
4,425 battles

11 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Thanks for the Quick Response! Its always interesting to see the results of adding something like this and even if the first one isn't a huge success any made after these can learn from how the community reacted the initial launch of these skins... (They are very well made and look amazing might I add, Just not available on any ships I own for now. :Smile_sad:)

21 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Well I live in Munich so .... for the price of one Space Camo I could visit the cinema once (or twice if I skip on popcorn and coke). But your initial point is well worth thinking about it: For that price I honestly don't even think about buying (thus appreciating the work) those camos. And I was pretty hyped for Space Moskva and Memes.

Judging from the Hood video a while ago where WG talked about the Workload to design the whole ship (and while @MrConway is here): Maybe he can find out how many working hours were spent on each space camo.

Greetings

I live in Britain so I guess my initial "Feed myself for a week" Isn't really helpful considering the diversity of the nationalities present here... :Smile_facepalm: I Saw the camo and hoped they would put one on a ship i was close to or own (Minotaur is the only one I'm near really) but theres always a next time...

[KRAKN]
[KRAKN]
Players
31 posts
5,776 battles

for 8k maybe  more bonus like more free xp or commander xp