You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lotara_Sarrin

Best Ship To Carry Teams With?

35 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
1,799 battles

Apologies for the title, but that really was the most polite way to phrase this. I'm not a good player by any stretch of the definition, usually average at best. The problem is, I keep being teamed up with those who seem to either be hell-bent on losing or simply cannot play. To give you some idea of what I mean, here's the last four matches I played - In one a Destroyer torpedoed our own Carrier at the start of the match and then sank himself, in another, the entire team refused to move out of the starting point and opted to circle it instead; in the third all bar one Cruiser and two Destroyers ignored the team pushing south in favour of chasing one enemy Destroyer heading north, and in the latest one a Cruiser repeatedly rammed his own team-members into islands and enemy firing ranges, while another turned side-on to a Destroyer and stopped dead in front of a full torpedo spread.

Is there any particular nation, ship or even type which might offset this at all?

[FRDF]
Players
175 posts
2,810 battles

Well the obvious one would be CV, but you need to be good at them, CV can provide scouting, support from enemy airstrikes and also deal hefty amount of damage.

Other than that, just what ever you are most comfortable with, solo carrying is not exactly a thing in this game, sure you can have monster games but I doubt no one can in regular basis get 8-10 kills every game they play.

[IRQ]
Players
2,686 posts
6,353 battles

The only way to carry is to be good. Certain ships can help you a bit in that regard, but despite all complaints concerning balance, most ships are closely balanced enough that skill makes most of the difference. But as above said, CVs have the highest impact on games, so if you're good enough, CVs are the "easiest" to carry in.

• Bad 1

Players
10 posts
1,799 battles
11 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Any ship you are good in, if that is a CV, the better.

I've been trying exactly that, and it doesn't work, unfortunately. Usually, i'll down perhaps twenty to twenty-five enemy aircraft and spend a sizable chunk of the match using fighters to scout out targets or trail Destroyers. The team usually ignores this, kills one another, or spends the entire match running/hiding from the enemy team. Well, unless they spot the enemy Carrier, at which point they will abandon any desired to cap or fight the enemy team in favour of chasing it down, even if its entire complement of bombers has been wiped out.

Still, thank you for the suggestion anyway.

• Funny 1

[TOAST]
Players
190 posts
2,527 battles

It's pretty hard to carry a game on your own, try and division up with somebody you know.

While your team a prancing about like brainless louts around the base campfire, at least you and your div buddy will be earning some XP and Credits, and who knows, maybe even go on to win the game.

Players
939 posts
4,998 battles

CV's are the obvious answer here.

But for everything else, the answer has to be DD's that focus on capping and killing other DD's. LoYang for example. You kill the enemy DD's if they are stupid enough to come into hydro range and there is no threat of counter radar You move from cap to cap and make sure your team keeps at least two at the same time. In standard battle against tier 10 radar cruisers you won't have much fun though.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

Remember there are 11 strangers on your team and 12 on the enemy, so by probability alone (and assuming you yourself are competent) the enemy team is more likely to potato than yours. It's a question of attitude. Stop focusing on what your team is doing and do your best. If sometimes that requires swallowing your pride and being a camping lemming that can work too, if the enemy overextends and you're there to take advantage. Don't try to carry it results in frustration and bad plays. Play your ship well and win rate will come in the long term. Even the best divisions cant carry every game between them, it's actually quite hard for 1 person out of 24 to be the decider.

In my experience one of the best things you can do to "enable" your team is to draw fire. Sounds dumb but if you can take it and live that means your fellow potato is alive and doing damage, and feeling less threatened, so more likely to push. Take a fast BB or a heavy cruiser, flank, poke some people, dodge and kite and watch the enemy team tunnel vision on you and fail while your team takes advantage. Risky but rewarding. Kongo is the best low tier ship to try this trick in.

Also short of CV play the best way to hunt DDs is to take a cruiser. That needs practice too but nobody said this would be easy.

Players
10 posts
1,799 battles
27 minutes ago, VC381 said:

In my experience one of the best things you can do to "enable" your team is to draw fire. Sounds dumb but if you can take it and live that means your fellow potato is alive and doing damage, and feeling less threatened, so more likely to push.

I can recount the last eight times I attempted that with Battleships and Cruisers. Each time the team ignored me, used it as an opportunity to hide behind an island, or retreated. On one occasion there were three ships on our side left, and two on theirs. I had a Cruiser with a sliver of health left and spent six solid minutes dodging fire and drawing out the enemy ships. My team? They were happy to do nothing, just move in a circle about our cap area. They did not shoot at the other ships, they did not try to cap, just circled one another until I was dead, and then decided they might try to take on the other team themselves.

It's not a question of attitude, nor even a question of swallowing one's pride. It's a question of dealing with morons game after game who are lucky to get three kills between them, will all but openly sabotage any chance of victory, and will typically spend more time screaming at one another in chat than shooting at the other ships, against teams who can typically wipe the floor with them. I would be happy to provide a few screenshots if needed, but suffice to say, it is by no means even. This is why I decided to give up and ask if there was some blindingly obvious option to actually start winning the odd game short of attempting to switch sides mid-match.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles

How to consistently carry games - be very good at the game seems to be the best answer, to a degree, the ship doesn't matter.

Yes individual ships can assist in that but CVs and DDs are the classes that have the capability to contribute more towards victory, IMO.

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,515 battles

I`d say IJN line of CV if you can avoid enemy fighters, but then there are cancers like Atlanta (for t5-7 matchmaker) or Minotaur (for t8-10) which make CV almost unplayable if enemy has any idea about how AA works.

If you want a pure winrate then i`d recommend the V-25 (yes a T2 ship).
The lower the tier the more impact you will have as an experienced player, and since V-25 has a combination of very good characteristics like speed, manuverability, low profile (actually it`s almost impossible to hit it`s broadside beyond bow) combined with a metric ton of torp launchers it`s skill ceiling is very high.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,335 posts
12,570 battles

If you want to carry, play ships with high influence on the game. CV's, radar cruisers or teamplay DD's.

Edit: For me DD's are the best to carry with. 

Kill a few enemy DD's and cap as much as you can. Let the idiots slug it out while you cap and gain map controll. Do that and most of the time the odds will stack in ur teams favor. 

[SCRUB]
Players
6,925 posts
9,129 battles

It's not a question of what, but who!

Short of killing the entire enemy team by yourself within the allotted 20 minutes match time, there's always the chance that the other 11 players on your team are decreasing the chance of victory through inept decisions, etc. pp.. I've seen randoms throw games that were more or less guaranteed victories save for a very specific kind of mistake and they unerringly managed to do exactly that to throw the game away. Doesn't need to, but I'm just illustrating the point here.

The single most deciding factor in any teambased PvP is teamplay.

Rather than ask for the best ship to play with, ask for the best players to coordinate with. A DD capping is good. A DD capping and spotting for others is better. A cruiser supporting the DD against enemy DDs is yet better still. A DD smoking up the cruiser, then capping and spotting whilst the smoked cruiser can support the DD in relative safety is much better. A BB also supporting the DD and cruiser and keeping enemy cruisers from effectively supporting their team is sooooo much better still.

You want to carry games? Find the players that can coordinate and work together.

[CORNG]
Players
586 posts
11,008 battles

You have more potential to carry in a Divi. Then.. .chose wise ones. Surely Not a 3 BB Divi. Plus in a Divi you have at least 2 Friends ans only max 21 Reds.   

As a Single Player your Potential to carry is Limited. 

Players
2,361 posts
15,164 battles

Start having fun with destroyers. The Pan Asia line is best for beginners.

Oh and stop worrying about wining/loosing, random battles are super casual.

[ONE2]
Players
2,316 posts
13,602 battles
5 hours ago, Lotara_Sarrin said:

I've been trying exactly that, and it doesn't work, unfortunately. Usually, i'll down perhaps twenty to twenty-five enemy aircraft and spend a sizable chunk of the match using fighters to scout out targets or trail Destroyers. The team usually ignores this, kills one another, or spends the entire match running/hiding from the enemy team. Well, unless they spot the enemy Carrier, at which point they will abandon any desired to cap or fight the enemy team in favour of chasing it down, even if its entire complement of bombers has been wiped out.

Yeah, I can recognize the infamous "HEADLESS CHICKEN"-tactic here. Partial solution to this is; Play CV (but make sure you're VERY good at it or recruit one to play with) and Division up with a CV, a stronk AA ship, preferably with radar and a good BB player and the 3 of you could go a long way towards carrying the team.:Smile_Default:

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
2 hours ago, Lotara_Sarrin said:

Apologies for the title, but that really was the most polite way to phrase this. I'm not a good player by any stretch of the definition, usually average at best. The problem is, I keep being teamed up with those who seem to either be hell-bent on losing or simply cannot play. To give you some idea of what I mean, here's the last four matches I played - In one a Destroyer torpedoed our own Carrier at the start of the match and then sank himself, in another, the entire team refused to move out of the starting point and opted to circle it instead; in the third all bar one Cruiser and two Destroyers ignored the team pushing south in favour of chasing one enemy Destroyer heading north, and in the latest one a Cruiser repeatedly rammed his own team-members into islands and enemy firing ranges, while another turned side-on to a Destroyer and stopped dead in front of a full torpedo spread.

Is there any particular nation, ship or even type which might offset this at all?

If youre Unicum in CV, thats the way to go.

If not i recommend the following ships when its time to put on the carry hard pants.

Belfast

Akizuki

Kutuzov

Hindenburg

Conqueror

These ships i.m.h.o give zero fooks about the team and their performance, they are pretty much a one ship fleet that has their own support systems. You might not be able to pull of a win for youre team, but you will do great carrying regardless.

• Cool 1

[T_D_G]
Players
367 posts
8,002 battles
1 hour ago, Lotara_Sarrin said:

Another suggestion: play in division with friends or find a better player that would carry you and show you his decision-making, strategies and well, his insight of the game. I wouldnt mind playing some games with you tho, i'm lately more of a solo player but its always good to play in a division.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

@Lotara_Sarrin it is a question of attitude. You're asking for advice but actively arguing against the suggestions using a few anecdotes. It's not statistically possible for your teams to be always bad and the enemy not. There's frustration and confirmation bias in what you write. The quirk of teamplay is that if your team isn't doing what you expect, even if you're doing the "right" thing, you're wrong for thinking there's something you can do alone to carry. There's no point saying X tactic doesn't work because of the team. If the tactic is good and you keep doing it, it will work more often than not. Adapt the tactic to each game, play smart don't try too hard, don't blame the team, and if you do your best you will win more over time.

Players
10 posts
1,799 battles
14 minutes ago, VC381 said:

@Lotara_Sarrin it is a question of attitude. You're asking for advice but actively arguing against the suggestions using a few anecdotes. It's not statistically possible for your teams to be always bad and the enemy not. There's frustration and confirmation bias in what you write. The quirk of teamplay is that if your team isn't doing what you expect, even if you're doing the "right" thing, you're wrong for thinking there's something you can do alone to carry. There's no point saying X tactic doesn't work because of the team. If the tactic is good and you keep doing it, it will work more often than not. Adapt the tactic to each game, play smart don't try too hard, don't blame the team, and if you do your best you will win more over time.

No, it's not a question of attitude. It's a question of the skill of those I am teamed up with, and how to offset people who have the habit of either avoiding the enemy team, or killing one another over facing the enemy team. You can claim confirmation bias, you can claim frustration, but I gave you the basics of several situations in the opening post, and then another later on. What, are you next going to claim that i'm somehow seeing things wrong or misinterpreting one member torpedoing an allied ship at the start of the game? Or are you next going to say "Don't blame the team!" when a player spends the entire match shadowing my Cruiser and trying to ram it or push it into enemy gunfire?

I have asked for advice and I am getting it thus far, and thank you to those who have answered. The only one I am actively arguing against is you, because you seem to have approached this with a mentality of "No, it's not their fault, YOU'RE the problem here!"

Anyway, that aside, I appreciate those who did offer actual advice to this. Thank you, you have given me a few things to consider to be sure. I will definitely look into a few of the ships listed and consider attempting to join divisions more often from here on.

[POP]
Players
288 posts
7,146 battles

It's very easy to think inside your own head that it isn't you that fails but it's the team that's to blame for the failure. However it's extremely difficult to make other people believe that conclusion aswell.

[BS4]
Players
668 posts
4,905 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

There's no point saying X tactic doesn't work because of the team. If the tactic is good and you keep doing it, it will work more often than not. Adapt the tactic to each game,

That doesn't make sence.....since most tactics in this game requite a TEAM to execute it. Doesn't matter how Good the tactic is if there is no one to provide support or to co ordinate that tactic with you usually die...alone.

He's' not bloody John Wick...

TaOHfDB.gif

5 hours ago, Lotara_Sarrin said:

@Lotara_Sarrin  do you communicate via chat in game a lot?  Average tier for you is 3.8 and you will be plagued by players with perhaps below Average understanding of game. One of the Positive things you can do is to communicate your intentions as much as possible. gentle prods by chat telling people(drawing attention on mini map) what they need to do and why (use your F key commands, learn them by heart if you don't already) can shock those vegetables in your team out of doing the "ring around the roses " in the middle of the map and get them where you need them to be. If you abuse them they just dig their heels in harder usually. As a cv player you have a better Tactical perspective than most. Good CV players can usually provide excellent Advice to their teams and can be the ones who turn the tide by providing air support to the right tactic. Unfortunately The scenarios you described above are  standard at the moment and I know its very frustrating but this Game tends to have its downs followed by up's and visa versa much more than it used to.

With all due respect thinking their is a particular ship that can rescue you from all of what you are experiencing is a mistake. Its whatever you play best in because it best suits your style of play and in turn helps you play to its strengths. So play whatever your best in for now .... chin up don't give up...By the end of the week it will probably be going your way and somebody else will be writing what you have written.

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,555 battles
2 hours ago, Lotara_Sarrin said:

No, it's not a question of attitude. It's a question of the skill of those I am teamed up with, and how to offset people who have the habit of either avoiding the enemy team, or killing one another over facing the enemy team. You can claim confirmation bias, you can claim frustration, but I gave you the basics of several situations in the opening post, and then another later on. What, are you next going to claim that i'm somehow seeing things wrong or misinterpreting one member torpedoing an allied ship at the start of the game? Or are you next going to say "Don't blame the team!" when a player spends the entire match shadowing my Cruiser and trying to ram it or push it into enemy gunfire?

I have asked for advice and I am getting it thus far, and thank you to those who have answered. The only one I am actively arguing against is you, because you seem to have approached this with a mentality of "No, it's not their fault, YOU'RE the problem here!"

Anyway, that aside, I appreciate those who did offer actual advice to this. Thank you, you have given me a few things to consider to be sure. I will definitely look into a few of the ships listed and consider attempting to join divisions more often from here on.

But the point is you are indeed part of the problem. That is understable mind, you have less than 700 battles. You have just begun to play the game and more likely than not you are missing a lot of what is happening not only in your team but also on the other side of the hill. It happens to all of us, with 700 battles and with 7000.

I remember once crying foul in chat against my team mates because they didn't support my push, That's how you tank, I said. I probably had a few more battles than you but not many more. Now, on recollection, it's fair to say that what I did was not tanking but commiting suicide by yolo rushing a cap in my BB. Self-awareness of what you can do or not comes with experience. Or it doesn't come at all. Plenty of threads where the OP cries about his team mates ruining his experience and WR from people who are barely average.

Bottom line, for every TK or potato in your team (and as of today you are a potato) there is another in the enemy team. You will learn to appreciate they exist when you blow them out of the water because they keep sailing in a straight line.

Finally, as others have said, play divisions or simply play and learn and your stats will go up.

A superunicum player will carry games on a fishboat whilst poor players will suck no matter the ship they are sailing in.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles

The answer is  - any ship that you are good with.

Yeah, CVs are great for carrying, but - surprise surprise - they are just as good for throwing games and ensuring your team loses if you have no clue what you are doing with them

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,799 battles

Cvs is often the answer that surfaces, but I do not play them.

In lower tiers specialize in a few ships and be an expert in them. Cruisers like Bogatyr is a carrying ship with a high point captain. You need the DPM to wipe out pesky DDs something that will help your team very much. The BBs have to difficult against DDs, often overpens, some DDs are also very good..