Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zlaraki

How am I getting detected in smoke without shooting?

21 comments in this topic

[_WOTS]
Players
96 posts
2,455 battles

So I was gone for a while, longer than a year so I dont know what changed exactly. In my last few games I got detected by enemies quite alot through my smoke as a DD without firing a single shot. The nearest enemy was 7 km away. Those were not blind shots as the detected warning popped up and it didnt go away while I was in the smoke. Can someone tell me whats going on?

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles

What Tier are we talking about? Could you (while in smoke) see the enemy shooting at you?

Got a replay from the last time it happened?

Greetings

[_WOTS]
Players
96 posts
2,455 battles

Happened first in tier 6, happens more frequently in tier 8 now. Yes I could see all of them.

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles

Was it just the "!" for being spotted? Because at that tier there are quite a few ships that can slot 'Radar' (which would fit your description of 7km away). Or it was an enemy German DD that did just spot you but didn't shoot. German DDs from T6 upwards can slot Hydro acoustic search to spot ships in smoke.

Greetings

[SCRUB]
Players
6,914 posts
9,129 battles
9 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Happened first in tier 6, happens more frequently in tier 8 now. Yes I could see all of them.

Reads suspiciously like radar.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,543 posts
6,375 battles
2 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

So I was gone for a while, longer than a year so I dont know what changed exactly. In my last few games I got detected by enemies quite alot through my smoke as a DD without firing a single shot. The nearest enemy was 7 km away. Those were not blind shots as the detected warning popped up and it didnt go away while I was in the smoke. Can someone tell me whats going on?

At 7km, exactly fitting tiers you mentioned, that's a Radar - a consumable that many cruisers, a few DDs and Missouri have.

Other than that, with quite a bit shorter range there also is a much more widespread consumable - Hydro

And other than that - stop being a wallet warrior mong, go back to your low tier ships instead of ruining high tier games with your tier 8 premium. You have just 350 games played - that alone (excluding the fact that you haven't played for a year) is enough reason for you not to play high tiers. God damn learn how to play the game, learn the basics. Stop free-xping everything just to get up quicker.

• Cool 3

Players
88 posts
4,088 battles

.Radar/hydro are your worst enemy when you start to reach those tiers

Look on the wiki to know every radar/hydro ship and their range.

At every start of the game look what you are facing it will give you an idea if you have to play more passive or if you can be more aggresive

[_WOTS]
Players
96 posts
2,455 battles
8 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Was it just the "!" for being spotted? Because at that tier there are quite a few ships that can slot 'Radar' (which would fit your description of 7km away). Or it was an enemy German DD that did just spot you but didn't shoot. German DDs from T6 upwards can slot Hydro acoustic search to spot ships in smoke.

Greetings

It was the usual detected sign in orange. I read that Hydro accoustic detects 3.48 km to 4.92 km. There was no one at that range nor was there any smoke opposing me on the enemy side. Strange.

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles
Just now, Zlaraki said:

It was the usual detected sign in orange. I read that Hydro accoustic detects 3.48 km to 4.92 km. There was no one at that range nor was there any smoke opposing me on the enemy side. Strange.

Hmm without a replay (or at least a screenshot) I doubt we can give more help. Radar at that ranges reaches out to 8.5km (T7), 9km (USN and RN T8), 11.7km (RU T8), 9.5km (USN and RN T9), 11.7km (RU T9), 10km (USN and RN T10) and 11.7km (RU T10).

So either you misread the detected sign (which can happen, they're both orange) and were either detected via radar or hydro (but the ship using the hydro didn't shoot) or something else is amis which can be hardly resolved only by describing different features of the game.

You said you were in a DD while it happened? Did you shoot your guns before you used your smoke?

Greetings

• Cool 1

[_WOTS]
Players
96 posts
2,455 battles

Thanks guys for the replies! I will be more cautious next time. Its kinda hard fighting over early objectives against that type of enemies. it completely shuts down the other DD from pushing. I heard they also nerfed the torps which is fine but they did actualy hurt IJP DD line I would imagine since they heavily rely on torps. Now in higher tier I feel like the [edited] instead of a "destroyer". Im still rather new when it comes to wow so time will tell. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
6,914 posts
9,129 battles
15 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Aside from hydro, the higher tiers get an additional consumable that can spot you in smoke and/or behind islands: surveillance radar. Found on regular ships at tier VIII on the US and RU cruisers (so New Orleans/Chapayev upwards) and on some tier VII premium ships (Atlanta, Indianapolis and Belfast). RN CLs can also opt to use radar instead of smoke from tier VIII onwards, same as the PA DDs (though theirs is short ranged).

US radar is typically medium range but longer duration (9km at tier VIII with 25 seconds duration, 9,5km at tier IX with 35 seconds duration and 10km at tier X with 40 seconds duration), whereas the RU radar has longer range (11,7km at all tiers) but shorter duration (iirc 15 seconds at tier VIII, 20 seconds at tier IX and 25 seconds at tier X ... I could be wrong on the tier VIII and IX duration, been a while since I played those).

RN radar is the same as US.

PA radar is short range and duration (don't know the numbers from the top of my head).

Aside from those ships, there's also the tier VII premium ships I mentioned (8,5km range and 25 seconds duration on Atlanta and Belfast, 10km range and 25 seconds on Indianapolis) and the premium Missouri at tier IX also gets radar (normal US tier IX radar).

Oh and the Black, premium tier IX US DD, also short ranged, short duration (don't know the exact numbers).

edit://

Ninja'd by Allied_Winter ...

• Cool 2

[_WOTS]
Players
96 posts
2,455 battles
22 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

Hmm without a replay (or at least a screenshot) I doubt we can give more help. Radar at that ranges reaches out to 8.5km (T7), 9km (USN and RN T8), 11.7km (RU T8), 9.5km (USN and RN T9), 11.7km (RU T9), 10km (USN and RN T10) and 11.7km (RU T10).

So either you misread the detected sign (which can happen, they're both orange) and were either detected via radar or hydro (but the ship using the hydro didn't shoot) or something else is amis which can be hardly resolved only by describing different features of the game.

You said you were in a DD while it happened? Did you shoot your guns before you used your smoke?

Greetings

I think it might have been the radar since the closest enemy on 7km was actualy a cruiser. I dont think I shot before I smoked it. I was trying to get the objective going and giove my team some info. The enemies were approuching so I thought smoke might save me some time to escape but itj didnt help at all, after7 sec trying to manouver my escape I eventualy died.

Thanks again guys for the trouble, you even mentioned all the ships which possess the consumable.

• Cool 2

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles
1 minute ago, Zlaraki said:

I think it might have been the radar since the closest enemy on 7km was actualy a cruiser. I dont think I shot before I smoked it. I was trying to get the objective going and giove my team some info. The enemies were approuching so I thought smoke might save me some time to escape but itj didnt help at all, after7 sec trying to manouver my escape I eventualy died.

In that case: Yeah, welcome to the radar tiers. I'd suggest two things: play yourself up to a radar cruiser to learn how one uses radar, and maybe another (different) destroyer line to learn how non torpedo destroyers fare in these days.

Also: No trouble at all, you asked in a friendly manner, no cheating accusations. So thank you too!

Greetings

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,743 posts
4,631 battles

In addition, try to pay attention to the mini-map: there are some very common radar cruiser spots on nearly every map (often centralised positions near capture points) and if the cruisers/Missouri are spotted somewhere else, you can play more aggressively.

Try to memorise radar ranges as well. This will help you greatly when avoiding or baiting radar usages.

[BS4]
Players
664 posts
4,900 battles

I would like them to use different symbols for when your detected by radar or hydo'd. you could then have an idea how long you'll be spotted and who' s spotted you (if its not immediately obvious) and be able to make the appropriate decision. Or is it supposed to confuse you on purpose?:cap_hmm:

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
4,018 posts
10,852 battles

+1 from me for asking advice before flaming on the forum. Most answers are given. One more possibility: an enemy with Target acquisition got real close. He/She'll spot you before you do him. Getting into a cap, smoke and lay stationary has indeed become obsolete about a year ago. Laying still in smoke is as big of a taboo as showing broadside towards a BB. Always keep "wiggling" for and aft. Even when smoke pewpewing: good players will pinpoint you and blind shoot you through your gun flames. On the move makes it much harder to hit you. But beware not to make the potatoe dumb *ss mistake I made: forgetting you're going backwards, keep TV-ing and gently glide out of your own smoke screen..... That was a very swift lesson I learned. IIRC I was exactly having the speed of 0 when I became literally dead in the water when I tried to speed back into my cloud.

[TOAST]
Players
190 posts
2,527 battles

Those were not blind shots as the detected warning popped up and it didnt go away while I was in the smoke. Can someone tell me whats going on?

So you have been away for a year, well done, you gained your sanity back.

Did you expect the game to freeze whilst you were in the twilight zone? no, well the game changes, like everything in life, maybe before you jumped back in your ship and started the engines, you should have read about the changes that have been made since 0.6.2.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/update-notes-main/

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles
3 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

If you were the Z-23 on two brothers today it was me radaring you. Oh and that was 7.5km pan asian dd radar. 

[SCRUB]
Players
2,255 posts
7,335 battles

The most likely answer is: Undetected German DD using hydro (not shooting, only spotting).

He can come 2.1km from you, and you still can not see it from smoke, if there are no other allies spotting it.

Sign in to follow this