You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom

I don't understand air-to-air exchanges

20 comments in this topic

Players
21 posts
292 battles

Playing CV feels crap right now. At T4 I can't strafe so I'm left with 'click on enemy planes and hope for the best' but then it seems to be decided largely on RNG. I've just been in the game where the enemy carrier sent his entire airforce to get me, and even though I had my fighters and a friendly CA to fend them off, not only they took off 3/4 of my hp but I also lost my fighters? 

And once you do find yourself with less fighters, you are basically worthless because no air superiority means no bombers and torp bombers either.

So it feels like I get into the game, and if I lose more fighters for some obscure reason it's just over. Same for them of course, I'm not saying I'm always the one who loses, but it seems to be down to a dice roll. Surely, I must be missing something?

[XTREM]
Players
1,387 posts
9,577 battles
Just now, SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom said:

Playing CV feels crap right now. At T4 I can't strafe so I'm left with 'click on enemy planes and hope for the best' but then it seems to be decided largely on RNG. I've just been in the game where the enemy carrier sent his entire airforce to get me, and even though I had my fighters and a friendly CA to fend them off, not only they took off 3/4 of my hp but I also lost my fighters? 

And once you do find yourself with less fighters, you are basically worthless because no air superiority means no bombers and torp bombers either.

So it feels like I get into the game, and if I lose more fighters for some obscure reason it's just over. Same for them of course, I'm not saying I'm always the one who loses, but it seems to be down to a dice roll. Surely, I must be missing something?

failing to understand WG logic, you are,  young padawan.

• Funny 3

Quality Poster
2,900 posts
7,903 battles
15 minutes ago, SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom said:

but then it seems to be decided largely on RNG

You are correct: In a click on engagement between let's say two Langley's (without any upgrades/signals on the ship and without captain skills) the squad that first loses a plane, will mostly lose the duell too. 

So if you want to win engagements: Have as much upgrades/signals and skills on your ship and try to engagem enemies only over friendly AA.

Greetings

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,646 posts
13,071 battles
6 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

You are correct

Actually there seem to be a lot of hidden mechanics in fighter combat. For example I found that if you "intercept" an enemy on the move you're usually going to win that fight despite having the same numbers/tier/skills and so on. Same thing while or shortly after the enemy is turning. Likewise there seems to be a pretty harsh penalty to strafing, getting caught while or immediately after strafing is usually a death sentence for your fighters.

Could just all be my imagination but I've been using these effectively for over a year now and they've rarely, if ever, let me down.

Quality Poster
2,900 posts
7,903 battles
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Actually there seem to be a lot of hidden mechanics in fighter combat. For example I found that if you "intercept" an enemy on the move you're usually going to win that fight despite having the same numbers/tier/skills and so on. Same thing while or shortly after the enemy is turning. Likewise there seems to be a pretty harsh penalty to strafing, getting caught while or immediately after strafing is usually a death sentence for your fighters.

Could just all be my imagination but I've been using these effectively for over a year now and they've rarely, if ever, let me down.

Interesting? I'm gonna pack that on my 'QnA question' list.

Greetings

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,187 posts
10,969 battles

I guess even WG doesn't know how the fighter mechanic works and it was just a bug that became a feature without anyone knowing :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

I know it, but I won't tell you cause I don't want to give away that advantage :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 1

Quality Poster
2,900 posts
7,903 battles
28 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Reveal hidden contents

I know it, but I won't tell you cause I don't want to give away that advantage :Smile_sceptic:

You know ... the two rules of success:

1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. ...

:Smile_hiding:

Greetings

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
2,153 posts
13,905 battles
2 hours ago, SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom said:

Players
21 posts
292 battles

But yeah, if that's the case I simply won't be playing carriers. If RNG can screw me over so hard and getting screwed so hard is so bad (as in: complete loss of air control, out of fighter planes) then playing CV is bound to be a source of pure frustration for me. The spread on my main guns is already testing my patience, this is too much.

Quality Poster
2,900 posts
7,903 battles
3 minutes ago, SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom said:

But yeah, if that's the case I simply won't be playing carriers. If RNG can screw me over so hard and getting screwed so hard is so bad (as in: complete loss of air control, out of fighter planes) then playing CV is bound to be a source of pure frustration for me. The spread on my main guns is already testing my patience, this is too much.

Take note though that this behaviour changes at T6 and above. From that tier onwards, manual (so called "alt attacks", because you use the 'alt' key to enable them) are available. With that you get for fighters a so called 'strafe'.

You set up a path (ideally with enemy planes in that path) and your fighters fly along that path uninterrupted and get a damage boost (but also an increased ammo usage). 

That way you get a tool to demolish the enemy CV quite heavily. It's considered one of the core skills of a CV player to 

a) be able to set up good strafing runs (e.g. to strafe down all enemy torpedo bombers before they can drop compared to just 'left click' attack them but they still are able to drop their torpedos).

b) recognize when the enemy CV is about to strafe your own planes and evade the strafe (since the planes fly along the path, if you move your planes out of that path, then the enemy strafe did nothing).

Her an example from Farazelleth:

Greetings

Players
21 posts
292 battles

I played CVs before this patch was introduced but that was a very long time ago BUT it was enough to familiarise myself with the concept. I actually was startled why I couldn't do it at first.

The guy did mention that RNG extends to strafes too. 

Quality Poster
2,900 posts
7,903 battles

Technically: Yes it does, because the underlying mechanics don't change.

But since your DPS goe through the roof it rarely matters.

Greetings

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,037 posts
13,946 battles

play t6 cv. where skill actually means something

[AXIS]
Players
1,089 posts
2,385 battles
11 hours ago, SirLloydHigginsBoomBoom said:

Easy solution: Integrate World of Warships with World of Warplanes lol

That would be fun. Fighting over a point, trying to get to the bombers and then the atlantas aa ability activates and all enemies fall from the sky. 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,554 posts
4,752 battles
2 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

play t6 cv. where skill actually means something

You do have to grind up through T4+5 first though, good place to learn what you need to know even if you can't practice all of it/them before getting to T6. :)

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,554 posts
4,752 battles
4 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I don't understand the logic of strafing. The other manual attacks seem to make a lot more sense.

I look on it as 'getting the jump' on your target - so a surprise attack that if it works, you win, if not, then you are left vulnerable.

• Cool 1

Players
1,867 posts
5,852 battles
46 minutes ago, philjd said:

I look on it as 'getting the jump' on your target - so a surprise attack that if it works, you win, if not, then you are left vulnerable.

Well, sounds plausible enough to me :Smile_great:

• Cool 1