Obazukki

Questions about Wows statistics

14 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
442 battles

I'm relatively new with wows (less than 250 battles) and few days ago I came across issue with 'my stats', when someone told me that my stats suck bad,-  especially my WTR.

Got interested and indeed, I found out that there are stats about my gameplay out there.

I found detailed information about my win rate and battle performance by each ship and tier but couldn't find anything about WTR? My question is, what is WTR or is there any such?

Another question is, why these individual stats are open for all? I can see that it's nice for yourself to monitor your progress and all, but is there a way that these stats can be hidden from public? I mean, as I said, I'm new to the game and not ashamed my performance as I play for the fun of it and not to compare my stats against others. I just don't really understand why someone would bother to dig out co-players game stats in a first place and start mocking someone about those. Shouldn't this be just about having good time.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,186 posts
10,963 battles

WTR is the rating used by https://eu.warships.today/

It's a combination of average damage, kills and winrate to compare players with each other.

Yes, it's possible to hide your stats, here: https://worldofwarships.eu/de/community/accounts/

Though I wouldn't really recommend it as players with hidden stats usually have a reason to hide them and are considered even worse than players with bad stats.

Also stats are a good way to evaluate your gameplay and look for things you can do better.

Some players look up other players stats. Mostly in the game to see which players in their and the enemy team are good or bad.

This can be helpful if you want to know who is dangerous/with which players good teamplay can be possible etc.

And yes, there are a few players that may use these stats to start flaming in chat.

But you should just ignore these idiots ^^

(And report them for Misbehaviour in chat)

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,497 posts
6,358 battles

WTR (from Warships Today) or PR (from WoWS Numbers) are comparing your performance in the ship to the average of that ship.

WTR (according to their page) is made up from

• Average Damage - 50%
  • Average Kills - 30%
  • WinRate - 20%

PR is (or at least seems to be) a bit more complicated, as the formula ends up as 

PR = 1166.7 * nDmg + 333.3 * nKills + 500 * nWin - 850

where that n means normalized a.k.a. compared to average

So that would mean PR is made up from:

• Average Damage - 58.33%
  • Average Kills - 16.67%
  • WinRate - 25%

So as you can see they only count your individual performance and completely disregard any teamplay ("oh but it's already included in your WR"), making them one of if not the most useless stats ever.

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,397 posts
8 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Though I wouldn't really recommend it as players with hidden stats usually have a reason to hide them and are considered even worse than players with bad stats.

Everyone, please keep believing that this is true. It will make it easier for me to sink you. :cap_haloween:

@Obazukki

It is your choice if you want to hide your stats or not. There is no shame in hiding them. No matter if they are good or bad or what others tell you. There is also no shame in bad stats (just don't pretend you are good, when you are actually not). Some players simply are not as good as others. Having your stats available will help others to analyze where exactly you might need help should you come asking for help to improve yourself.

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
442 battles
45 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

WTR (from Warships Today) or PR (from WoWS Numbers) are comparing your performance in the ship to the average of that ship.

WTR (according to their page) is made up from

• Average Damage - 50%
  • Average Kills - 30%
  • WinRate - 20%

PR is (or at least seems to be) a bit more complicated, as the formula ends up as 

PR = 1166.7 * nDmg + 333.3 * nKills + 500 * nWin - 850

where that n means normalized a.k.a. compared to average

So that would mean PR is made up from:

• Average Damage - 58.33%
  • Average Kills - 16.67%
  • WinRate - 25%

So as you can see they only count your individual performance and completely disregard any teamplay ("oh but it's already included in your WR"), making them one of if not the most useless stats ever.

Thanks for this.

This WTR looks to me somewhat weird measurement for ones overall performance. For example, when I play BB and have hitted / burned  opponent ship so, that she has only few hit points left, I usually don't want to waste anymore full salvo for her, but rather find next victim, while I leave final kill to be executed by own cruisers or destroyers. In this sense, 30% weight for kills is misleading and doesn't really tell very much about your contribution for battle.

Also, win rate doesn't give you always justice you deserve although nice general indicator. Sometimes I've been destroyed at the very beginning of the battle without  contribution, but my team has managed to win. Also, I've seen several occasions when team mate has been afk whole time and still gets credited for win. PR seems more sophisticated in this respect although still having heavy weight on win rate. Would be nice if there would be some kind of indicator based largely on just plain XP with some adjustments for taking in account the potential damage your ship is able to deliver.

Now when I've found this stats section of wows, I've been doing my own investigations and  I can't believe how many extremely good players there are, just amazing PR and WR ratings with thousands of battles hanging at their belts.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,497 posts
6,358 battles
43 minutes ago, Obazukki said:

Thanks for this.

This WTR looks to me somewhat weird measurement for ones overall performance. For example, when I play BB and have hitted / burned  opponent ship so, that she has only few hit points left, I usually don't want to waste anymore full salvo for her, but rather find next victim, while I leave final kill to be executed by own cruisers or destroyers. In this sense, 30% weight for kills is misleading and doesn't really tell very much about your contribution for battle.

Also, win rate doesn't give you always justice you deserve although nice general indicator. Sometimes I've been destroyed at the very beginning of the battle without  contribution, but my team has managed to win. Also, I've seen several occasions when team mate has been afk whole time and still gets credited for win. PR seems more sophisticated in this respect although still having heavy weight on win rate. Would be nice if there would be some kind of indicator based largely on just plain XP with some adjustments for taking in account the potential damage your ship is able to deliver.

Now when I've found this stats section of wows, I've been doing my own investigations and  I can't believe how many extremely good players there are, just amazing PR and WR ratings with thousands of battles hanging at their belts.

Winrate averages out after a while. Basically how I look at it - WR matters very little up to 50 games played, after that you can see the trend going. Before 50 - a simple win / lose streak changes too much

Players
4 posts
442 battles
11 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Winrate averages out after a while. Basically how I look at it - WR matters very little up to 50 games played, after that you can see the trend going. Before 50 - a simple win / lose streak changes too much

True what you said. In a longer run these 'outliers' will peter out eventually.

However, funny as I more or less stated in my first post that I don't really care about my stats and so on, but now I've kind of found new objective for my wows mission. Not just to grind up couple of t10 ships, but also try to maintain my WR somewhat decent over 55%. Likely not going to happen once more skilled players come up against at higher tiers but one's gotta have challenge. Also, I'm having serious issues with some ships that I just can't make work with me, which rapidly has massive effect on stats with my limited number of games played. So I guess, I'd be content just being at average level and enjoying just the game.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,397 posts
5 minutes ago, Obazukki said:

True what you said. In a longer run these 'outliers' will peter out eventually.

However, funny as I more or less stated in my first post that I don't really care about my stats and so on, but now I've kind of found new objective for my wows mission. Not just to grind up couple of t10 ships, but also try to maintain my WR somewhat decent over 55%. Likely not going to happen once more skilled players come up against at higher tiers but one's gotta have challenge. Also, I'm having serious issues with some ships that I just can't make work with me, which rapidly has massive effect on stats with my limited number of games played. So I guess, I'd be content just being at average level and enjoying just the game.

If you don't rush through the tiers but stay in them for a while, to learn the pros and cons of the various ships you are facing and how the playstyle changes, you can keep that winrate at 55 % or even increase it.

It also helps if you take a look at ships and shipclasses you normally do not play. Learn their weaknesses to work against them, as well as their strengths to see how others defend against those.

• Cool 2

[8BIT]
Players
95 posts

It depends on how you want to  play the game, if it is for fun then be careful not to become a "stats junkie", it will only start to stress you out and the fun part of the game will go. You will become disappointed with your stats, and eventually stop playing. If thats what you want and it does not stress you then go for it. Just remember your stats will start from DAY1, and you will get punished for your defeats.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
2 hours ago, Obazukki said:

Also, I've seen several occasions when team mate has been afk whole time and still gets credited for win. PR seems more sophisticated in this respect although still having heavy weight on win rate. Would be nice if there would be some kind of indicator based largely on just plain XP with some adjustments for taking in account the potential damage your ship is able to deliver.

Some AFKs have even gotten Solo Warrior...

But XP available from WG's stats is "contaminated" and useless:

Premium time with its XP boost is included in it instead of showing normal base XP.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,488 posts
10,344 battles
2 hours ago, Obazukki said:

Thanks for this.

Always finish ships. The next moment it might go back to stealth, go behind cover or your teammates do not manage to finish it. The target might come back later and bite you. Even a second to live longer might give an enemy the opportunity to devasting strike you or a teammate. Never ignore a low health target!

Sometimes you do 7 kills, Confederate, High Caliber and lose anyway (as happened to me yesterday). The odd games even each other out. What stays is your average performance.

• Cool 1

Players
15 posts
147 battles

Dont let the stats destroy your gaming experiance. Try to improve your gameplay but to much focus on stats can devalope gaming addiction.

• Cool 1

[ASEET]
Beta Tester
118 posts
3,953 battles
On 26/03/2018 at 12:06 PM, Taralack said:

Dont let the stats destroy your gaming experiance. Try to improve your gameplay but to much focus on stats can devalope gaming addiction.

I don't know about addiction. If I am having a bad day I won't be playing that day since I fear that it would affect my performance and then my stats, so I just skip playing.