Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_chQ82JL8bq48

WG - EU Law issue

24 comments in this topic

Players
11 posts

WG seems to refuse to delete personal data. No reason provided whatsoever. Two tickets mentioning EU law "Right to be forgotten" closed without any justification.

Also they have information on their web page they will delete the account if requested, but somehow looks like fake information.

Now the question come: Do they sell our phone numbers and emails and contacts to 3rd party companies like Facebook do?

a0awDLP.png

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles

Well first off: I can only assume that this discussion is better suited in a PM directly to MrConway / Lordofdroid instead of the Gameplay section of the Forum.

Second: Do you intend to stop playing the game? Last time I heared WG deleted the account data after player request (though that was a long time ago). Could very well be just the standard support answer.

Greetings

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
962 posts
17,184 battles
7 minutes ago, yoursexygranny said:

WG seems to refuse to delete personal data. No reason provided whatsoever. Two tickets mentioning EU law "Right to be forgotten" closed without any justification.

Also they have information on their web page they will delete the account if requested, but somehow looks like fake information.

Now the question come: Do they sell our phone numbers and emails and contacts to 3rd party companies like Facebook do?

a0awDLP.png

from EULA:

" 1.04. Wargaming.net may suspend, terminate, modify, or delete accounts at any time for any reason or for no reason, with or without notice to the owner of the account. Accounts terminated by Wargaming.net for any type of abuse, including without limitation a violation of these rules or the EULA, will not be reactivated for any reason. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violations of these rules, the End User License Agreement (EULA), or other Wargaming.net policy. Players may cancel any account registered to themselves at any time by following the instructions on the Website. Wargaming.net may stop offering and/or supporting any service at any time. "

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/announcement/17-world-of-warships-game-rules/

support link:

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/articles/4/

somehow i think u might not provived what they want u to in case of account deletion request? what did u wrote?!....

Players
11 posts

Yes, i do not want to play anymore. Too old and time is running fast :)

I provided all he info as they requested. Must be a only support person related issue, he/she may not be familiar with the law.

Thanks for the PM info. I will give a try and sorry for wrong section.

[FAIL]
[FAIL]
Beta Tester
217 posts
6,095 battles
10 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

from EULA:

" 1.04. Wargaming.net may suspend, terminate, modify, or delete accounts at any time for any reason or for no reason, with or without notice to the owner of the account. Accounts terminated by Wargaming.net for any type of abuse, including without limitation a violation of these rules or the EULA, will not be reactivated for any reason. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most account suspensions, terminations and/or deletions are the result of violations of these rules, the End User License Agreement (EULA), or other Wargaming.net policy. Players may cancel any account registered to themselves at any time by following the instructions on the Website. Wargaming.net may stop offering and/or supporting any service at any time. "

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/announcement/17-world-of-warships-game-rules/

Cancelling an account is not the same as requesting all your information to be deleted unless WG state it to be the same somewhere in their documentation.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts

Independent from the fact that this has nothing to do with gameplay:

Did you bother to ask why they can't delete your account?

As WG already removed an account created by me on my request, I can say with certainty that they can and will remove them. It does take a lot of time for their database to be cleaned up though. There is some personal data they'll need to keep for a while, like finacial transactions, before they can remove such data.

Edit: On further reading...

http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/article-17-right-to-erasure-'right-to-be-forgotten'-GDPR.htm (that's the rule as it will be starting May 25th, didn't find the current text in my quick search)

There are rules and regulations on when they have to remove your data. There are exceptions listed. If you want them to remove your data based on this, you'll need to let them know that you base your request on this. If they can't comply with the request you can request to know why.

Edit 2:

Right now it seems this rule text is still in effect

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2001:008:0001:0022:EN:PDF

By that rule you can only demand a removal if the data usage is unlawfull (article 16). At least that's how it looks to me. But I am not a lawyer, so don't cite me and ask a real professional instead.

• Cool 2

[TOAST]
Players
190 posts
2,527 battles
2 hours ago, yoursexygranny said:

Why would you give them your phone number? and my email addy I use, was made for this game only, never ever use your personal daily used email addy, Are you MAD!!!

Beta Tester
527 posts
3,366 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

It's people like you that Facebook, Snapchat and google alike make their money from.

When you enter your phone number and e-mail, they sell that information to other companies (read) and spam you with "offers".  That's how "free to use" stuff works today, ads are irrelevant.

The more you know.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
15 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

It's people like you that Facebook, Snapchat and google alike make their money from.

When you enter your phone number and e-mail, they sell that information to other companies (read) and spam you with "offers".  That's how "free to use" stuff works today, ads are irrelevant.

The more you know.

Funny thing, out of those I'm only registered on Google, and that same only bcuz of YouTube.

Also people like you get overly paranoid, noone cares about your little meaningless life and what you do

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts
40 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Also people like you get overly paranoid, noone cares about your little meaningless life and what you do

You didn't follow the news lately, did you?

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
527 posts
3,366 battles
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

You didn't follow the news lately, did you?

Hey, don't break his bubble of trust to social media companies.

I also find it strange that WG doesn't delete your account when you ask for it. It should be an mandatory option for you to do so everywhere you create an account.

[FRDF]
Players
175 posts
2,810 battles

Wrote longer and maybe little too aggressive post, but instead posting that I would like to just say that no I dont trust social media companies.. but you are naive if you think your info is not out there by not using them, or requesting data remove from one server :)

• Cool 1

Players
11 posts

Hi, i din't shared my telephone number. I'm not so naive :) I just want my account to be deleted and with this my email address and any other contacts.

In WG Privacy policy is mentioned that email is considered as private data.

I asked to delete my private data. They keep refusing. I opened 3 Tickets, mentioned EU law directive and the consequences if they will not do so.

Still refusing...

24L07Iz.png

So it will get official.

Btw, they offered me to transfer the account to another of my email address. lol what a solution.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,255 battles
17 hours ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

The more you know.

Honestly never had any such 'offers' sent to any of my inboxes, and sending them to my 'spam' folder wouldnt seem like such a big deal to me. Only reason I have FB is for free tickets in giveaways and in-game like-for-free-stuff :fish_book:.

Sure I'm all for privacy, and if information about me that I did not want made public was made public I'd get pretty angry... But adverts being customised to my search results? Sure, maybe they'll finally show something useful on YT.

[XODUS]
Players
714 posts
3,774 battles

the process is there and VERY thorough for account deletion and there are multiple identification checks which include

The ISP you were using when you created the account 
Your Bank Statement of any transaction
Your Physical Location when you created an account (Town & Country)

Phone number

Email Address

Username

that is six checks

And seeing as i do this for the day job that is adequate to meet UK & EU law. 
Even GDPR, yes you have the right to be forgotten but individual companies can set the criteria that needs to be met in order to "be forgotten" because there is a financial records and personal identifiable information involved this needs to be stringent.

For the Record five checks for account deletion is the MINIMUM that i recommend at work
Most Companies are going for up to seven, eight or nine depending on industry

for someone like a Private Health Company they could also ask for

National Insurance Number
Date of Birth
Marital Status
Annual premium 

etc etc etc

and i've probably bored you all to death so off to fight the malware bandits in the wild web

Players
11 posts
1 hour ago, JaiFoh said:

the process is there and VERY thorough for account deletion and there are multiple identification checks which include

The ISP you were using when you created the account 
Your Bank Statement of any transaction
Your Physical Location when you created an account (Town & Country)

Phone number

Email Address

Username

that is six checks

And seeing as i do this for the day job that is adequate to meet UK & EU law. 
Even GDPR, yes you have the right to be forgotten but individual companies can set the criteria that needs to be met in order to "be forgotten" because there is a financial records and personal identifiable information involved this needs to be stringent.

I provided all the information.

WG stated in Privacy Policy they will keep copy of the personal data because of financial reason. I understand that because of money transfer, but i asked my public data to be deleted. And i do not understand why they refusing my rights for it. They must follow the law like anyone else, not that they will create their own law. I found that i can get in touch with privacy@wargaming.net. So i'm here now.

The next option is to inform National data protection authority

National data protection authorities: 
Each EU country has to have at least 1 data protection supervisory authority. They make sure that data protection law is correctly applied and handle any complaints about breaches of the rules.

You should send your complaint in writing to your national data protection authority. In some countries there is a standard form for complaints or complaints can be sent by email.

If the supervisory authority finds that data protection law has not been respected, it can order data to be erased or destroyed, and can ban further data processing by the data controller in question. 

... and can ban further data processing by the data controller in question

the ban will be nice :)

Beta Tester
347 posts
12,041 battles

There's no difference between "public" data and non-public data.  The company holds data about you, and may continue to do so as required by law for its own purposes.  (For example, my company is compelled to retain 11 years worth of financial transaction data.)  Your request for deletion might have been refused simply because they don't keep anything beyond what's absolutely necessary.

Az

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,784 battles

Guys, please note that we are not yet at the 25th May date - so the GDPR law is not in effect. So current laws apply.

[XODUS]
Players
714 posts
3,774 battles
1 hour ago, yoursexygranny said:

I provided all the information.

WG stated in Privacy Policy they will keep copy of the personal data because of financial reason. I understand that because of money transfer, but i asked my public data to be deleted. And i do not understand why they refusing my rights for it. They must follow the law like anyone else, not that they will create their own law. I found that i can get in touch with privacy@wargaming.net. So i'm here now.

The next option is to inform National data protection authority

That is actually correct from a UK Law point of view, as it is corporate law for them to retain financial transactions and accounts for up to six years as an example. 
And its because of this that the right to be forgotten law was repealed for the right of erasure of public facing data but not financial as it was pointed out in a legal case that if a company was forced to delete all data for a user and it included finance data then they were in breach of other financial regulation.

I am more inclined to believe that they are being VERY thorough as one company i have worked through basically requests that after your email request that you mail off copies of original documents that have been counter signed by an authorised person (eg a solicitor or a bank manager) to confirm they are real in order to process the deletion request. 
So the same principle of when you are taking out a Mortgage. 

But if you are based in the UK, the the Data Protection Act 1998 which does not contain these rights currently and the GDPR regulations that this particular element is contained in does not come into force until May 25th across the entire EU.

And the law applies to any business doing business within the European Economic Area rather than where a company is based. 

[-F-H-]
Alpha Tester
422 posts
4,369 battles

How-To delete your Account

Submit a ticket to Support.

Provide the following information:

• Name of the Internet Service Provider at the time of Account creation.
  • City and Country of registration.
  • Phone number bound to the account. When applicable.
  • Proof of payment* (Bank Account/Paypal logs/ Online phone record, etc.) related to purchases performed on your account. When applicable.

Email screenshots are not valid. Remove any information unrelated to Wargaming.net

• Confirm you want us to DELETE your Account.

*To prevent Account Deletion by unauthorised access, we need to confirm the request as legitimate.

Simple copy paste from the WG site. So yes, WG has to delete your data, but also they can't just delete your account just from a simple request. Imagine if you forgot to log out from a shared computer. Your brother/wife/child/stepmother/cat/dog/evil ego/mini me/inner devil/best friend decides to play a prank on you and sends a "delete account" request. Bam, account gone, all money time effort you spend is gone forever.

But no worries, as they delete all of your information, they will of course delete the information you provided in the ticket aswell. So give them what they need and then you are out and your data is save from WG.

Not as if the powerfull companies/secret services have them anyways.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 1:58 PM, yoursexygranny said:

a0awDLP.png

While I usually don't mind people discussing these kind of issues here, this post is a clear misrepresentation of the facts in the ticket as well as our conversation with you there.

We are of course willing to delete accounts on request, but are less happy to do so when it is abused by requesting multiple deletions and then roll-backs of said deletions - we really have more important things to do.

/closed

• Cool 7