64 comments in this topic

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Dont buy this crap.

Yes, im a relatively newcommer, but seriously im loosing more than ever buying a "premium" piece of crap.

[edited]yawn WoW.

0/10 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles

And?

Buying something doesn't mean you will automatically win. This game is not pay-to-win and if you are a new and unexperienced player, you can lose with any ship.

Especially if you buy a premium ship that is on a higher tier than your other ships.

And seriously? This is "loosing more than ever" for you?

1d2ff4bf58.png

(Not including the other stats, but if your Dresden has twice the average damage of your Graf Spee, than there is something wrong with your playstyle.)

• Funny 1

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Okay, YES i am new, i did try to read about every ship, i watched Flamu's videos, i aint a dork. But man, should have stuck with my ship, not this prem shizzle.

• Boring 1

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

And let me ask this simple question, why does Graf Spee at 140 dkr. have 2 torpedo tubes?

Kinda useless for a semi battleship, no?

• Bad 1

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Yes Graf Spee has a lot of health, and health potions, which is quite good, but it wouldnt make any difference whether i went afk or not, whether team won or not.

• Bad 1

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

"(Not including the other stats, but if your Dresden has twice the average damage of your Graf Spee, than there is something wrong with your playstyle.)"

Totally agree, Dresden rocks. But man at lower ranks, wins comes way too easy, to suck us in.

• Bad 1

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
18,218 battles

Graf's actually a pretty amazing ship in well-accustomed hands, and can pack a tremendous punch to anyone taking this beast lightly (I've learned the hard way: 'Yay, lower-tier cruiser, let's just open up a bit, aim with all guns, shoot, wooot, this'll work, aim again, and...WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!). Just give it time, and a lot of games - you'll get to know her inside-out!

Getting started is always the hard part. Not just because of learning something new - but because the captain still lacks skills. Once you get that concealment upgrade, you'll really be able to decide when and where to attack - and by that time you'll already "feel" what to do and what not to in her. 

Some suggestions:

1. Use premium consumables, if you didn't so far (buy them for credits, of course) - these will give you much more resilience and chances to recuperate after mistakes.

2. In the early stages of the game, especially when you're lower-tier, start off defensively, and NEVER rush into battles. On the other hand, if you are lucky enough to have smoke-bearing british cruisers around you, tag along for a spot in that smoke (however, you might want to wait until you have the Concealment expert skill)!

3. Take advantage of the weekly operation! It's for T6's - and a great place to test what this boat can do. In just 4-5 games, you'll see how the enemy spawns, and how this operation goes. Due to the enemy being bots, you can easily deal damage by letting other allies get closer. Or just exploit the terrain. Lots of things work there. Not exactly a free-win-operation like Hermes was, but you still have a good chance to win - lots of credits, exp, and practice!:)

The first battle I ever had in WoWS was in a Kutuzov. I was thinking about downloading the game for a very long time, about a year. I learned from another Wargaming game, WoWPlanes, that a T8 premium can solve any and all exp/credit problems, and they can really provide for a fun game. I wanted something that was relatively easy to handle, and generally plays support. On paper, the Kutuzov seemed like the best choice for what I wanted (help shoot down planes - even though I had no idea whatsoever of how planes even participate in battles lol), so I bought it after entering a friend's invite-code, and Voila! I failed miserably. Not even sure if we won or not, but I remember doing about 10k damage. For the next 300-400 battles I averaged 40-50k damage, trying to somehow copy Flamu's corresponding video, to very little avail. The instant I was detected, I smoked. After overrunning, I backpaddled, usually (but not always) surviving this error. Then, I would wait so joyfully in there, firing salvo after salvo after salvo after torpe...torpedo? Oh god, no, not again...Boom. Or just sit in the smoke, with everything disappearing from sight (no one to spot...), but too afraid to move. At 16-17 km's range. Oh, and did I mention torpedoes on their way?

It took until only recently, about two months ago, that my stats suddenly started to rise drastically, compared to myself. This was approximately around the time that I got the IFHE skill on my captain. Now I can often manage 100k damage, sometimes 140-150's. I'm starting to use fakesmoking, fiddling with the throttle while avoiding enemy attacks, sometimes even baiting enemy fire from others, and just doing random stuff that I didn't dare to before - and sometimes get away with it (alive or dead lol), only to realize that "whoa, this seems to work - let's use it again!". I have a very flat learning curve, apparently needing hundred(s!) of battles before I feel comfortable in a ship - and I still have a long way to go, too - but I can definitely feel the effort paying off!

The Grad Spee will be the same, or even better, if you give her the chance to eventually prove herself! I can guarantee that in just a few battles after your commander gets to level 10, at the latest, you'll really feel different! She's a great ship! Not your typical cruiser - playing the GS is indeed a bit more difficult - but as you get accustomed to her - you'll really start returning all that pain! :D 

• Cool 3

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

And here we have another great case of "I'm new so I have no idea what I'm doing so playing a higher tier ship against players who have probably played thousands of games sounds about right" :fish_palm:

You are losing only bcuz you are pushing yourself upwards, learn the basics and then start climbing. You don't like the ship because you have no clue how to play it - 100% of your experience has been low tier "YOLO420RUSHB360NOSCOPE" crusiers, absolutely different from anything you'll meet above tier 5, especially a semi-BB.

• Funny 1

Players
8,355 posts
9,213 battles

Graf Spee is a T6 ship, so it gets a lot worse matchmaking than low-tier boats. It still isn't a bad ship though. It is special and it likely is one of those premiums that actually are unique experiences that didn't fit into the tech tree and which are pretty balanced overall (similar to Atlanta). Insofar, it certainly is not a ship to be recommended for captains with as few games as you have, as you simply do not have the experience to make the most out of Graf Spee.

I would recommend you first learn more about the regular ships, before playing Graf Spee, while letting the ship rest. If you don't have fun with it, don't play it, not like you need to grind to the next ship. But once you actually have like 1-2k battles and played more T6 and maybe even T7 ships with a 50+% winrate, you can go return and reevaluate the Spee. I'm no master in the ship, it certainly is not an easy ship, but it has its strengths and if one can play to those it can be pretty nice.

33 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

And let me ask this simple question, why does Graf Spee at 140 dkr. have 2 torpedo tubes?

Kinda useless for a semi battleship, no?

Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Mutsu and Kii are full BBs and have torp tubes. And I doubt people will tell you those are useless. The torpedo tubes on the Graf Spee, like on most cruisers, will not allow you to torpedo targets from stealth like a DD, but they still are a credible threat to enemies. Best used, either to harass enemies while you run away from battleships, or to torpedo an enemy from close-range, making up for the relatively mediocre to poor dpm. For a cruiser, these torpedoes are actually pretty good. Not IJN, but the next best thing, imo.

Players
8,355 posts
9,213 battles
1 minute ago, Wolffireman said:

Fine, i need to grind. But thousands of games, before i have a fair chance?

It's easier reached than you might think. I would not focus as much on the number though, because even after a thousand games, one might still be total potato.

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Yeah yeah but whats the point of being a fake battleship, when all it does is getting me in the wrong range of the enemy battleships?

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Ok, my only point is i wanted to buy a fairly simple and agile beginner ship. But after reading all the guides and watching all the vids, theres simply isnt one.

Maybe Alabama, but i suck at battleships too.

There is no entry level at all, is what im saying. 

Just grind.

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It's easier reached than you might think. I would not focus as much on the number though, because even after a thousand games, one might still be total potato.

Fine, im a potato now, and im a potato after 1000 games.

Even more makes my whining valid. There is no entry, just the hardcore living.

• Cool 1

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

No my serious question is, is there a role for undergunned quasi battleships cruisers like Graf Spee? 

lal no way, team is dead, by the time, Graf has hung back.....

Players
8,355 posts
9,213 battles

Main strength of the Graf Spee is, it has two things typically found on BBs, which are quite large caliber guns and repair party. These two mean you can just kill most enemy cruisers with some skill and as a cruiser (especially if you run German hydroaccoustic search) you can wreck DDs. Against BBs, most cruisers are weak and it is best to not try to solo them at all. Not that Graf Spee cannot be brutal against BBs. But you cannot fight them on their terms. And for that, you need to learn the game more

4 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

Ok, my only point is i wanted to buy a fairly simple and agile beginner ship. But after reading all the guides and watching all the vids, theres simply isnt one.

Maybe Alabama, but i suck at battleships too.

Just grind.

Stay with tech tree ships. They are free and most often they are competitive. Buy a premium when you played other ships that are comparable and found those to your liking. For example, if you like the North Carolina, feel free to buy an Alabama. Don't buy Alabama without knowing what it is like at all, because you never played T8 battleships before. This way, you know what you are putting your money into.

4 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

Fine, im a potato now, and im a potato after 1000 games.

Even more makes my whining valid. There is no entry, just the hardcore living.

Noone said you'd still be potato after 1,000 games. Just, try your best to learn as you play. Try to think about what worked, what did not work, what you could do better and so on. Then, after a thousand games, you might be at the point where you can play the Graf Spee and have some ok success. It's a hard ship.

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
18,218 battles

Motivational video:

The good thing about this video is that it shows how to hide, what happens when these beasts of guns hit their mark, and what those few torpedoes can do. :D 

As for buying a user-friendly, relatively easy premium ship...I don't know. There aren't too many options nowadays. A good idea might be to start the normal tech trees after some research on them (and to judge preliminary which one would suit you the most) - all the while not giving up on the GS. :) 

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Very excellent advice, indeed. However im sick and tired of loosing on graf spee, and i regret spending money on ships, when free to grind ships yield way better results.

Boogles my mind, why im paying for crap.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
24 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

Maybe Alabama

Tier 8 = NO

200.gif

26 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

There is, and it's called tiers 2 through 4

In current rotation only Yubari seems to be available. And you don't even need a premium ship, you're perfectly fine playing all kinds of silver ships available to you.

• Cool 2

Players
8,355 posts
9,213 battles
13 minutes ago, Wolffireman said:

Very excellent advice, indeed. However im sick and tired of loosing on graf spee, and i regret spending money on ships, when free to grind ships yield way better results.

Boogles my mind, why im paying for crap.

Don't pay, play for free. Buy ships that you are pretty sure you will like, such as buying an Atago if you like other high-tier IJN cruisers. Graf Spee has nothing comparable though, but that just means, you should try to learn the game more before buying the odd boats.

Now, please don't be too bummed, go play, have fun with free content, keep the Graf Spee around and maybe later you'll be able to have fun with the ship. I personally bought two premiums in my entire career, which were the HSF Harekaze and HSF Graf Spee (which basically is the same ship, just the weeb edition) and I regret neither. Though, I find Graf Spee far harder to play than the Harekaze.

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles

Erm yes i did grind upto tier 5 as a noob. I dont see ur point?

Graf is tier 6. 

There is no entry level, just grabbing your cash.

Players
28 posts
1,149 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Don't pay, play for free. Buy ships that you are pretty sure you will like, such as buying an Atago if you like other high-tier IJN cruisers. Graf Spee has nothing comparable though, but that just means, you should try to learn the game more before buying the odd boats.

Now, please don't be too bummed, go play, have fun with free content, keep the Graf Spee around and maybe later you'll be able to have fun with the ship. I personally bought two premiums in my entire career, which were the HSF Harekaze and HSF Graf Spee (which basically is the same ship, just the weeb edition) and I regret neither. Though, I find Graf Spee far harder to play than the Harekaze.

Yeah you are totally on spot, yet buying a ship just aint worth it as a noob. Fine, yet paying some cash to a game, would normally yield a relatively small upgrade, not a freaking lame downgrade. And yes i realize skill cap would increase my chance of yielding a paid vehicle. But cmon it shouldnt be a downgrade from scratch. Just lame game development tbh. Its a good game, yet paying made me want to quit even more.

• Boring 1