You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
llHEROll

Is destroyer commander III set to high?

13 comments in this topic

[EIRE]
Players
37 posts
10,452 battles

i not bad at dd, but for the love of god best i can average is 27000, is emblem set to high for first badge at 33000, considering some games i get blown out in a few mins

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,522 battles

I’m by no means a great player but I average 45k in destroyers, so doubt its set too high.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,409 battles

You need to consider that the emblems are aimed at showing off. So only really good players can have them, otherwise they would be worthless. Not that they are too hard to get, mostly it's a question of being good enough.

Looking at your stats I'd say you just need to get better at DDs to qualify for it.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
7 minutes ago, llHEROll said:

i not bad at dd

sorry to shatter your illusions, but yes you are. There is all of one destroyer that you are significantly better than the average, and that is the Sealclubber Deluxe Clemson. Most other DDs of yours are bad to dreadful.

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

it's just fine. My T8 average was something like 60k (can't see it anymore,because it disappears after 100 matches) and T10 average is now 78k after 61 of T10 matches

PS. Yes you are bad in dd with that average.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

What I think is wrong is that it's all based on damage. That's far from the highest priority in a destroyer when it comes to what wins games. It's also more based on tier than performance.

I haven't actually played that much since the emblems were introduced so I haven't gotten the required matches in for them, but even someone like me who's only somewhat above average can almost manage the last emblem in DDs, and maybe get it if I try to farm more damage.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
17 minutes ago, llHEROll said:

considering some games i get blown out in a few mins

There is your answer.

If you find yourself not surviving the opening stages of a game somewhat consistently, then you're putting yourself into the wrong positions. Maybe you're too aggressive, or you fail to properly account for the enemy opposition (better DDs, radar ships, CVs scouting you). Obviously you can't do much damage once you're sunk.

Provided you know how to consistently land your attacks (torpedoes and/or gunboating), surviving for longer should fairly easily see you to pass the damage threshold set by the emblem requirements. If you're already averaging 27k damage when you die very early in a noticable amount of games, getting the additional 6k damage difference shouldn't prove to be much of a problem once you dealt with the early sinking.

___

And I just took a glance at your profile to see that the only DDs you have that are eligible for getting the emblem are the Kiev (which you seem to have skipped with free XP) and the Tashkent.

Without knowing much more exactly how you play, if you end up getting sunk early in those ships, I suspect you're pushing too close to the enemy (and probably relying too much on smoke). As a tip, try playing those ships more like you would play a cruiser. Rather than be the first to rush to caps, support the other DDs from a small distance apart. Let him spot ahead for you so you don't run into nasty surprises. With your guns (and with 42% hitrate I can assume you know how to hit with them), help your fellow DDs out by shooting the enemy ones. Engage enemy cruisers and battleships at the edge of your range (where you can still comfortable hit them, but have enough time to react to incoming shells to dodge).

You should really only attempt to get caps if there's no DD that could spot you (since they WILL spot you a lot sooner than you spot them) and even then only if there's no other ship you could pepper with your HE shells (or if you're on too low health to do so in relative safety). Basically russian gunboats only ever cap if either they, or the enemy is doing something really, really wrong.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,753 posts
12,048 battles
1 hour ago, llHEROll said:

i not bad at dd, but for the love of god best i can average is 27000, is emblem set to high for first badge at 33000, considering some games i get blown out in a few mins

DD thresholds are actually pretty low. They could be a problem for someone sticking exclusively playing DD-hunters, but the more all-rounded gunboats or hybrids? It's really pretty easy to meet the quota.

Your problems are two-fold

1. You play lower tiers (of the emblem-farming range) and have little experience in them.

2. You're an average player. Emblems are meant to indicate some level of accomplishment, so they generally require above-average performance.

If you often die very fast, you probably should work on that. DDs need to work hard from the start of the game - but if you die, it usually means that (while trying to earn your pay) you overextended and got punished. High damage doesn't necessarily mean being useful (DDs need to counter enemy DDs and there's not much damage to be farmed there) but your damage values are pretty low still. Benson has a global average of almost 30k. Kiev of almost 33k. Tashkent over 36k.

You seem to be fighting hard against enemy DDs at the beginning (since your damage is much worse than winrates) - that's not a bad thing, but you still need to plan these engagements so that you survive them rather than not. Especially since it doesn't look like you bring the enemy down with you all that regularly.

Basically, you need to work on balancing early aggression and staying alive - if you manage that, you shouldn't have much problem with claiming the DD emblems. So far you're really pretty new to high tier DD play - you don't have 100 battles between all your t8+ DDs! You have A LOT to learn and get used to - it's only natural that your results (and ability that gives birth to them) aren't very good from the get-go.

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

This is very easy in PA DDs as you'll always find willing potato BB to damage farm.

I got the top T9 or below DD award without really looking for it whilst grinding up to Yue Yang.

Players
2,963 posts
16,897 battles

Play Khaba, 100k dmg average not impossible :Smile-_tongue:

In other dds, I tend to fight dds too much and early, but tend to take them down (or have my team do the dirty work) so I only average 55k in gearing overall and around 70k in the last 90-100 TX dd games.

Got my emblem without ever playing for it.

5 hours ago, AnotherDuck said:

What I think is wrong is that it's all based on damage. That's far from the highest priority in a destroyer when it comes to what wins games. It's also more based on tier than performance.

It should be %hp dealt, not total hp, but that is my gripe with all WG damage stats...

Players
309 posts
6,030 battles

Tbh I feel like they could have created one additional emblem for each class, something that would provide a decent challenge.

for example 95k in TX cruisers.... not too challenging. make another one for 120/130k

[TOXIC]
Players
4,753 posts
12,048 battles
45 minutes ago, Tekacko said:

Tbh I feel like they could have created one additional emblem for each class, something that would provide a decent challenge.

for example 95k in TX cruisers.... not too challenging. make another one for 120/130k

I personally am more sad that the only two emblem types are:

1. damage farming emblem

2. emblem that won't mean anything at all in 2-3 months

The damage emblems are all about, well, absolute damage (not even % damage) making them useless for bragging rights. Imagine a CV that nukes 3 tX DDs vs one that kills a single BB through alpha+DoT. Which one helped the team more?

The "top 3 of winning team" emblems are much more interesting - but it's irrelevant since there's no limit on how many past battles are taken into account. You can be a potato among potatoes - once in a while you'll have a great game. Over enough games, unless you are an AFK bot, you WILL get these emblems...