KingOfTheScreen

Backround updates are available?

5 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
178 battles

I am Thinking whether the auto update feature currently available in the client updates the game in the backround or does it open the client when it does this.

I am asking this coz i don't want the client opening up now and then when there is an update, and i cant wait all week for an update to be released to see how it would work.

Also i would like to know what the two features are in the client update settings; first one "enable automatic updating" downloads the update and installs it when it is available and the second "enable download of updates" download the updates early and installs it when it releases officially....so what is the difference between the two? and all this happens in the backround, unknown by the user or does it open the client as an application in the taskbar?

Thank you for your time.

4 answers to this question

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

"enable automatic updating" has the updater run in the systemstart/systemtray when your computer is running and will not start the client. But the Launcher will start and you have the Icon too.

wg_update.thumb.png.924a82ce19cdf5c05613

So you don't have to start the Launcher manually to get the update but it will download as soon as it is available.

As long as I have played WG games there has never been any update that was made available in advance, so the second option is kind of obsolete in my book

If you run the original Launcher there are only the 2 Options explained:

Launcher.thumb.PNG.d5ba71b5646e68d5c978c16bc1b5254c.PNG

If you run the Gamecenter the Options are for all Games

810_06.png

Players
277 posts
16 hours ago, KingOfTheScreen said:

second "enable download of updates" download the updates early and installs it when it releases officially....

Test server option if you haw any WG public test server clients downloaded. A good option for newbies and game reviewers to try new things.

16 hours ago, KingOfTheScreen said:

download the update and installs it when it is available

You basicaly use this if you don't want to lounch the client itself for updating your games "manually". It' runs in the backgroud aka systemtray and uses up your PC resources and monitors your your telemetry data sending some back to WG.

This whole  auto update manager thing usually is only used on public pc's and by lazy people. The times of unaffordable fast internet speed are ower by now and developers update their products on a faster pace, so its small chunks of data in small timeframes now.

Players
2 posts
178 battles

Ok.

So now i have both the options enabled, does that mean the launcher will open up when the update is being downloaded and installed?

if yes, is there a way to make the updater such that the updates will be downloaded and installed in the background without any launcher/client opening up.

Thank You very much.

Players
277 posts
On 2018-03-25 at 1:39 PM, KingOfTheScreen said:

So now i have both the options enabled, does that mean the launcher will open up when the update is being downloaded and installed?

Now both the official version and the test server version will be downloaded. Way less to download at release of a new patch to.

On 2018-03-25 at 1:39 PM, KingOfTheScreen said:

if yes, is there a way to make the updater such that the updates will be downloaded and installed in the background without any launcher/client opening up.

No. The louncher has to start after OS in the background systemtray  due end user agreement to allow foreign programs to utilyse your PC if enabled.