You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Raptor Rescue (22 - 29 March) - Lets hear your stories of Epic Wins and Stupid Losses!

23 comments in this topic

[-IAN-]
Players
2,013 posts
6,816 battles

Hi All,

As I liked reading funny/heart-rending stories in the previous topic on "Killer Whale" I thought I'd start one for Raptor Rescue with my own story -

Despite doing a fantastic job in the T6 Premium Molotov (check those Citadels out baby!), which was mainly due to so many broadside IJN cruisers, and carrying my team so hard my back still aches, we lost out on a 5 star win by 1 second as our Leander, which stuck next to the Raptor through-out the game, despite being told to speed up at least 3-4 times AND SAYING WILCO, decided too late to try and accelerate past the Raptor in the last 1km-ish and failed, allowing the Raptor to cross into the exit zone barely 1 second before him.

wows447.jpg

2nd game - I did absolute garbage, I got torped by the very 1st DD (idiot Ian), friendly torped by 2 different friendly ships (no damage but very distracting) and got 15K and 1 kill - Still came 5th in a complete loss -what a bloody team!!!!!

3rd game - did "OK" in a Buddy, waiting for my Molotov to come off cool down.

4th game - Molotov's Back BABY!!! A very good team performance and I didn't feel like I'd had to carry this one, despite hitting a better XP than the 1st game, really enjoyed this game.

wows448.jpg

The mission felt extremely easy compared to Killer Whale (which means I'll be playing more of it) which I think was mainly due to the lack of bot DD's I'd guess (only 4-6? in the whole mission) and the general lack of enemy ships to sink (ran out of Bots by the end a few times) so I think this could do with a slight tweak with the "last" attack (2x BB and 2x Cruiser) having another 2-3 T4-6 cruisers added.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles

guys, guys, I can't stress enough about C5. (map location)

It's a tactic that I apply often when I'm in Bayern (lack of speed) in Raptor.

Go there after the second wave (Aoba, Kuma, Myoko) , one or two ships the most, you can mess up the bots.

you can catch the Aoba, the Kuma and some dds that show up there.

then you move forward to the next island, there you will encounter the bbs the Aoba and Kuma.

Not only you give some breeding room to the rest of the guys but also  you are in a position to cut off the second cv. If your teammates don't get it.

With a cruiser, the last part may be tricky but it's doable.

Buddy strikes again.

I end up with less than 1000 hp but I was in a cruiser doing what I usually do with a BB.

strikes again.png

strikes again.png1.png

strikes again2.png

[SOCKS]
Players
790 posts
5,620 battles

My five last games (3 of them in my recently unlocked Z-23, 2 in the misnk) went the same way.

1-We won the initial stages of the game, either getting multiple caps in domination or establishing solid map control in standard.

2-Once in the position where all the team has to do and wait for the enemy to make a move (because otherwise they'll lose for sure), they didn't and kept on pushing.

3- team died.

4-We lost a game we had essentially locked for a win in the first 5 minutes of the match.

None of them were exactly "epic" from my standpoint, usual 20-to-50k damage, one or two kills per game, but playing the ship well (capping, contesting and forcing enemy DDs out of dangerous area, area torping, hunting enemy DDs stalking my team's big ships, that kind of stuff). Nothing spectacular, just solid performance on my part. But all loses nonetheless.

and of course when I remarked that the team was throwing away the game there was the inevitable toxic answer of "cri more" or "salty dead dude is already complaining" (last one was quite the answer, given that I was alive when it appeared in chat".

And of course the inevitable "it's a game, it's not about winning but about having fun".

Seriously, I'm having it with that answer. Who, in this world, plays games only to throw them away and lose them?. The fun part about playing a game is competing to win. Losing CAN be fun if it was a close deal and good performance on both sides, but straight out throwing away the win in a stupid fashion, WHO finds THAT fun?.

Maybe it's me that I don't have enough wisdom to understand such depths of the human psyche....or maybe it's just potatos making excuses. But really, that stupid answer gets me.

Anyway, yeah. 5 loss streak of games that should've been a 5 win streak. Gotta love this game and it's players O.o 

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles

What about epic useless morons.

Apparently I've got reported for being a camper, me. Ahahahahahahah.

Guess who?

And that [edited] is ranked 16 th.

Perhaps was he that stole a lot of kills from me.

ass.png

ass1.png

ass2.png

Hashtag Butterdoll sad.

Players
306 posts
5,559 battles

I'm glad I got 5 stars on this one last year 'cause the amount of people who are more than happy to sit in the repair circle for most of the map, yet can't be bothered to shield the engineer ship from fish, is staggering.

[-IAN-]
Players
2,013 posts
6,816 battles
5 hours ago, Captain_Strawberry said:

I'm glad I got 5 stars on this one last year 'cause the amount of people who are more than happy to sit in the repair circle for most of the map, yet can't be bothered to shield the engineer ship from fish, is staggering.

IIRC there's a 2 DD torp ambush in the middle of the map just after the Engineer ship becomes active and my 3rd game (mentioned in OP) in the Buddy was were I, as the only cruiser around (after 3 others went chasing the CV in the bottom right), had to fight the 2 DD's making them waste torps on me rather than the repair ships which in a long unmanoeuvrable ship like the buddy went as well as you can imagine!

Considering the amount of times this, fairly easy scenario has been around, it's still amazing at the number of players who just don't know what to do!

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,251 posts
Vor 17 Minuten, IanH755 sagte:

IIRC there's a 2 DD torp ambush in the middle of the map just after the Engineer ship becomes active and my 3rd game (mentioned in OP) in the Buddy was were I, as the only cruiser around (after 3 others went chasing the CV in the bottom right), had to fight the 2 DD's making them waste torps on me rather than the repair ships which in a long unmanoeuvrable ship like the buddy went as well as you can imagine!

aye, this is one of the crucial situtations in this scenario. You need one or two cruisers that go ahaed of the own bot ships to deal with these DDs and also the Kuma. But usually you can write this in chat and nobody cares...

And another common stupidity: One DD that ignores everyhing else and heads straight to the south west for the second CV. While they usually can kill the CV, they are more or less out of the game. And it is no problem to kill the CV later when you play 'normal'

I had one game yesterday with 2 BBs (one of them me), 2 CAs and 3 DDs. The first cruiser managed to be dead before the first three enemys were dead, one DD went straight over the map into the south west to deal with the second CV there (and while he was able to sink the CV, he was also sank by the CV), another DD and the second cruiser went to hunt the CV in the south west (and didn't manage to kill it but were killed by the bots...), so only one DD and we 2 BBs were there to guard the Raptor and his friends. Our third DD stayed very close to the raptor so the BBs had to deal with the DDs in the ambush. And of course this is not was BBs are made for. While we managed to get them, we ate to many torps and then died later in the fight with the last wave...

So imho there is (still) one 'design' problem: WG allows up to 3 DDs in this scenario. But you need at max only 1, more are useless, only makes you miss firepower and hitpoints... I hope some day WG will introduce a DD hardcap of 1 in scenarions, since in most scenarios DDs are by far not as usefull as the other classes...

[SCRUB]
Players
3,818 posts
18,336 battles
2 hours ago, Klopirat said:

So imho there is (still) one 'design' problem: WG allows up to 3 DDs in this scenario. But you need at max only 1, more are useless, only makes you miss firepower and hitpoints... I hope some day WG will introduce a DD hardcap of 1 in scenarions, since in most scenarios DDs are by far not as usefull as the other classes...

Sometimes I play the Farragut in the Ops - most of those times I don't do much damage, but I can easily wreck bot DDs and I have a great smoke screen to cover my allies (e.g. for the Raptor between islands).

[-IAN-]
Players
2,013 posts
6,816 battles

Yeah multiple DD's in this mission are a waste (1 max is OK) as Cruisers DPM is King of this Scenario while a CV is extremely handy for spotting but the biggest "problem" I've encountered so far on the majority of the teams I've played with is that People don't seem to understand or know the "roles" of their ships. So you see full health BB's stuck to the engineers boat behind an island while the cruisers are out tanking damage and taking on 4 ships, or DD's who don't know how to scout or smoke up ships (to prevent the bots seeing the friendly convoy), cruisers who don't do AA or anti-DD duties etc.

Which means that the few people on a team who KNOW what their role is are very heavily carrying the rest of the team and, with some ships, there's only so much carrying you can do. However when you get a team which has 3-4+ "good" players (not even super-unicum types) on it the Op is a simple 5 win without issue and they are quite enjoyable games.

Here's two examples, in my first match today  the "Citadel Machine" Molotov, with the help of 2 other "good players", was able to help the team to a 5 star win (the 4th place 2x XP camo Cleveland did nothing to earn his "average" XP other than plane kills which are too heavily rewarded - would have been under 700XP without them as he didn't shoot at a single DD).

Yet in the second game, without wishing to sound boastful, I was clearly the only player on the team with a clue on how to play either my ship or the game in general - BB's went chasing CV's, DD's sat next to the Raptor and did nothing (not even smoked), Cruisers & BB's fired not stop HE at broadside cruisers at under 10km, a RN BB not firing until a target was about 10% health before firing a broadside to "get the kill" (1st time he shot so not stuck reloading) etc and without my efforts we'd have even lost the game rather than getting a low 2 star win (on the easiest scenario) as I torped the last BB on a Yolo rush as he headed to our unprotected Raptor with 1 friendly RN BB still hiding behind an island and the New Mexico hunting the CV in the bottom of the map (never killed it either).

Yet despite the very obvious problems caused by people who clearly don't know how to play the game or want to get better at it ("It's just a game man, I play for fun") I really still like the Scenarios.

PS More Results screens in the Spoiler -

Spoiler

The "easy" game first and the "carry" game 2nd.

wows450.jpg

wows451.jpg

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,251 posts
Vor 5 Minuten, lup3s sagte:

Sometimes I play the Farragut in the Ops - most of those times I don't do much damage, but I can easily wreck bot DDs and I have a great smoke screen to cover my allies (e.g. for the Raptor between islands).

sure, 1 DD is/can be fine (if he knows what he has to do/should do, for example go not hunting on the other side of the cap) and so I don't want them to be "banned" completly them from scenarios. But for the things you list 1 DD is enough, you don't need 3 DDs for this. And with so many DDs you will lack AA (especially when there is no own CV), firepower for higher range and hit points to tank damage...

[SCRUB]
Players
3,818 posts
18,336 battles
2 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

sure, 1 DD is/can be fine (if he knows what he has to do/should do, for example go not hunting on the other side of the cap) and so I don't want them to be "banned" completly them from scenarios. But for the things you list 1 DD is enough, you don't need 3 DDs for this. And with so many DDs you will lack AA (especially when there is no own CV), firepower for higher range and hit points to tank damage...

I understand your point.

Regarding AA, I slot Def AA (and Man AA) on my Farragut when I play Ops with CVs :Smile_hiding:

[-IAN-]
Players
2,013 posts
6,816 battles

Just had an absolutely epic game with a team of 3-4 "good" players where people played their "roles" perfectly and we'd killed all the bots before the Raptor even left it's 2nd Stop point. I think I played really well this game and by the end I was doing 6-11k damage salvos against the two broadside BB's (did over 43k just to the Kongo in AP only) and I came away with 2165 base XP, 210k+ damage with 22 citadels and 6 kills with a whopping 13k ship XP earned, 9.6k+ Free XP, 38k Captain XP without the daily XP bonus and 472k credits (Screenshot in Spoiler).

I've still got my Cleveland/Buddy/De Grasse to take out and play for their 50% daily XP bonus but the Molotov is just so OP at this particular scenario (T9 guns) that I'm having too much fun!

Spoiler

wows452.jpg

[-IAN-]
Players
2,013 posts
6,816 battles

Well maybe I should have taken my Cleveland and Buddy out earlier :Smile_teethhappy:

Getting just as many citadels, and just a good scores with both, although the HE only firing Queen Elizabeth tried as hard as possible to lose the Buddy game for us until the Leander stepped up to save the Raptor from being torped by the 6km away Aoba which the QE2 was busy ignoring while he missed HE volley after HE volley at the 11km away Kongo. How on earth do people get to T6 and STILL not know the difference between HE and AP. WG have got a huge amount to do with improving the knowledge base of it's players!

Results in the Spoiler -

Molotov - 3 kiils, 1650+ Base XP & 10K Ship XP etc - and EVERYONE survived which is a 1st for me, although the whole team played well, even the bottom guy.

Cleveland - 5 Kills, 1600+ Base XP & 11k Ship XP etc

Buddy - 8 kills, 2000+ Base XP etc & my highest ship XP yet at 14K ship XP etc

Spoiler

wows453.jpg

wows454.jpg

wows455.jpg

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles
15 hours ago, IanH755 said:

Considering the amount of times this, fairly easy scenario has been around, it's still amazing at the number of players who just don't know what to do!

Go via c5 (after the second wave) you can get the lot from there, a ship or two there plus the rest of the team can put that ambush in a crossfire.

and if you are lucky or good and in on time (you have to be there, so, time it right)  you can finish the Aoba and Kuma as they pass the island at your left. and citadel them to the kingdom come.

that way they will never be a threat.

you know @IanH755, I've been reading the things that you say about your Molotov (I'm more of a buddy kind of guy).

but as I'm dead tired from work,  my blood isn't pumping as it should, so  I decided to give it a go in my Cleveland.

p.s.- Nice to see you back.

cleve4.png

cleve5.png

.cleve7.thumb.png.b974dbd6005aa55cdeecc6558c049cfc.png

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles

rough.png.e5d327795cc96cebabb4ae263598bc64.png

there.

it's what I usually do in my bb and with some of my cruisers.

if you get in time to C5 you can even stick a citadel or two in the Aoba and Kuma in that gap in C4, wait then take one at a time as they reach D4, then sink the dds.

after that proceed forward you can citadel the next batch of cruisers or put some fires through the C4 gap as you pass by.

angle your ship and take down the cruisers. (usually they go via C2 and C3)

next thing, if the red cv survived, you are now in range to sink it (it can be as close as 3km, pay attention to the planes there will be some torps), if not, you can start working on the red bbs.

Instead of being pined down by the bots you give your team the ability of crossfire.

If they are shooting at you, they will, the raptor it's not being focused.

you can be the safety net to your team regarding the Ryujo.

the last bots will shoot at you, relieving the rest of the team from enemy incoming fire.

p.s. if the second wave cames from the bottom you will have less time, you have to be quick but still you have the time to intercept them as they reach D4.

If you spent more time than the you liked, one alternative it's D6, close to the island but be aware of torps there will be a lot of them in your way.

the first attempts will not go smoothly, but with practice you will gain the notion when to be, where to be.   

Beta Tester
3,186 posts
3,628 battles

I have just played and lost two games in this operation.

In the first one I was in my Duca D'Aosta, which - given the many lower-tier ships you face - can be a surprisingly effective ship in Operations. I took quite a beating from the first two waves of incoming enemy ships, and then I went down shielding the repair ship from an on-rushing Kuma, but all in all I made a fair dent in the enemy fleet. The two Nürnbergs that had gone carrier hunting returned just in time to support the last dash toward the exit, when an enemy Myogi went all kamikaze on us and rammed the Raptor. Game over, as in totally. Sorta funny, all told.

The next game I was in my De Grasse, and I had joined forces with a Leander in taking down the cruiser-supported carrier in the southeast. Considering that we had two destroyers in the team, diverting two cruisers to this task may have been a mistake. I got back in time to face the main attack, but by then it was only me and the Leander left, and the Raptor was sunk. So yeah, I think this qualifies as a "stupid loss".

Beta Tester
3,186 posts
3,628 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎23 at 11:08 PM, Butterdoll said:

rough.png.e5d327795cc96cebabb4ae263598bc64.png

there.

it's what I usually do in my bb and with some of my cruisers

Thanks for some very interesting suggestions, Captain!

I have so far refrained from going off in the direction you indicate, in the belief that I would just go down to massed HE fire and torpedo attacks. But maybe I have been overcautious. What ships would you say work best for this tactic?

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Thanks for some very interesting suggestions, Captain!

I have so far refrained from going off in the direction you indicate, in the belief that I would just go down to massed HE fire and torpedo attacks. But maybe I have been overcautious. What ships would you say work best for this tactic?

So far, Bayern, Cleveland and buddy.

I tried with Normandie but nothing special so far.

Things to keep in mind.

I've done this because of bayern's  lack of  speed, this largely depends on time it right. So the first attempts probably will go kind of meh...

with the cruisers the first kill zone it's awesome (the second two but it's trickier)

in the first red X you have to stop to wait for them but be aware of kuma's torps (the second ship) and the dds (torps and HE, so play with 1/4 speed and reverse speed while shooting and citadeling.

you have to citadel for making a dent in them.

Depending of the ship, but let's take Cleveland.

As you reach C5 wait for the detection sign, you have to be ready then because you have 1 shot each (Aoba and Kuma) through the gap, after the kuma, turn your bulls eye to D5 and wait for that Aoba to appear again you have 3 shots after that aim for Kuma (you will sink them both or make them easy for your team to kill them). be aware of the two destroyers sink them if you can.

After that use that gap again (be slow) to put some fires at the bbs or citadel one of the cruisers.

Be aware if your team sunk the second cv or not.

As you leave cover at B3 usually you have the two cruisers perfect broadsiding you but be aware you have to tank against two bbs.

after sinking the two cruisers you now have to live, time  your retreat right. between the bb shots.

if the cv it's still there go outside the island at C2, be aware of the bbs and planes.

if the cv was already sunk you can focus on the bbs.

Beta Tester
142 posts
1,078 battles

One of the worst losses in Rap resc. With 3/7 players 4-5 km behind raptor the entire time, 1 cruiser searching for carrier that spawns to the south the entire time (because of our carrier player's early strike on the carrier it hugged the J line the entire time) and it ended with me and my BB having to take on all the aircraft from the 2nd carrier, Fire from 2 BB and 2 Cruisers, and 1 DD. With the other 3 players (New Mexico and 2 cruisers that i cant remember the types) were all in the 90-100% HP but didn't have the courage to put their ships in danger,,, Match ended in a loss with raptor getting sunk just 2km from the escape circle.

One of the best games i had right after. Everyone was doing perfect job. Everyone finished alive with over 50% hp and over 6 minutes on the timer. Everyone was helping each other out, No one was behind the carrier unless to get bit of repair from the rep ship, Before Raptor went out to the spot where the 2 DD's and 2 CL show up everyone was in positon to shoot. 11/10 performance.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles

I've decided that during the weekends I'll play my tier 6s and 7s in operations instead of getting my nerves wrecked in random battles, and it seems to work. Much more relaxing.

I've played most of my tier6 ships this weekend, to get XP for some captains, and of all this weekend games I'd remark this one.

shot-18_03.25_12_10_10-0090.thumb.jpg.b48d12bdebc2a483bc8405ed94fd9aee.jpg

I think current Cleveland is very strong in this scenario, as you can just push the DefAA button and simply ignore carrier planes while you shoot at the enemy, something you can't do with the rest of cruisers. I never reached this level of damage with any other ship in this scenario, not even BBs.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,818 posts
18,336 battles

Decent battle with Budyonny, and a Tactical Expertise with randoms as well!

C7BxOjO.jpg

[L4GG]
Players
3,263 posts
10,868 battles

Well, at first I meant to came here to put some of my games.

By the way: update.

as I come out of cover at b3 sometimes there is a Myoko+ Aoba instead of a Kuma, when the Myoko appears he will go strait to b3.

At C5 a couple of dds will screen where you are making more difficult to get the Aoba and Kuma at D4.  Guess is the game adapting to that.

If you or your team don't get the dds they will spot you for the bbs.(Kongo).

Moving on.

I've been notice a trend in the last few days.

Apparently some of the salt usually found in random it's contaminating the operations, I don't like that.

it's turning a relax and joyful place in something else.

Just now a poor bastard in a QE ate 8 torps, at the end when he wrote in chat.

At least I shielded the raptor from 8 torps

one guy replied

[edited]off.

I checked the chat and there wasn't anything else, just that.

It's just getting old.