Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
walter3kurtz

Interface QOL improvements

19 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles

Changes to make the game more accessible to new players:

1. Make alt-interface and detailed ribbons the default setting (why put new players at a disadvantage);

2. Make the minimap large by default (again, why put new players at a disadvantage);

3. Enable last seen positions and ship names on the minimap by default (same).

Changes that improve the game for existing players:

1. Prevent players from entering battle without camo due to camo running out and pressing "battle on";

2. Give the option to (un)equip a certain flag on all ships;

3. Improve the ship carousel by making the names of ships that have no captain more visible (the whole ship carousel thing annoys me but this probably the most)

Feel free to add other simple suggestions but keep it simple. This improves the chance of a suggestion being implemented.

• Cool 8

[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,406 battles
1 hour ago, walter3kurtz said:

1. Prevent players from entering battle without camo due to camo running out and pressing "battle on";

Good points all, but this would be a priority for me. The amount of times I have forgotten to apply camo before a battle are more than I care to admit :Smile_hiding:

Just a pop up asking "Are you sure you want to proceed without camo?" or something similar should be more than enough. 

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles
56 minutes ago, Turin7 said:

Good points all, but this would be a priority for me. The amount of time I have forgotten to apply camo before a battle are more than I care to admit :Smile_hiding:

Just a pop up asking "Are you sure you want to proceed without camo?" or something similar should be more than enough. 

Yes. Especially since I have a large collection of camos and really do not want to play without it. Can't be too hard to create one freaking pop up warning you about this. 

Players
43 posts
6,541 battles

Good points

Another thing I would appreciate is when all players in a division has pushed ready it would count down from 10 and entered the queue. No need for the leader to push ready, and often the division leader asks if everybody is ready when all have declared so.

[ANV]
Players
551 posts
4,707 battles
2 hours ago, Turin7 said:

Good points all, but this would be a priority for me. The amount of times I have forgotten to apply camo before a battle are more than I care to admit :Smile_hiding:

Agree with this

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles
3 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

Feel free to add other simple suggestions but keep it simple.

Make rudder position always visible.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,848 posts
14,117 battles

Does the game have anything asking if people are sure they want to run a fail division? If there isn't, it might be helpful to add one (for those who aren't doing it deliberately)...?

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
124 posts
8,344 battles

When a player types something in the chat, blink her icon on the mini-map (in the same way as that of the F-key quick messages). At the moment, whenever someone says anything useful (e.g., 'come close to me, I have good AA ', 'DD go cap C, I'll support', etc.), i'd need to first check which ship she's in, then manually look for her position on the map in order to act intelligently (for example, I wouldn't take a promised support too seriously if it is coming from a border-hugging BB), which is quite inconvenient. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

Add a few seconds of grace time (delay) after clicking "Battle". Being immediately committed to a battle is annoying when you click "Battle" too soon. Sometimes I forget putting on camo or other stuff and I remember immediately after clicking. But I get instaqueued and there's no way back.

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,675 battles

The whole UI needs improving, it's ancient and out of date, cluttered, WG need to spend some money, and give the game UI a complete overhaul.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
8 hours ago, 13Ninjas said:

The whole UI needs improving, it's ancient and out of date, cluttered, WG need to spend some money, and give the game UI a complete overhaul.

To be fair they don't need to spend money, the modders have produced all sorts of enhancements which could be adopted as options in the main client.

@walter3kurtz points are very sensible as a start.

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles
15 hours ago, tamagotchi said:

When a player types something in the chat, blink her icon on the mini-map (in the same way as that of the F-key quick messages). At the moment, whenever someone says anything useful (e.g., 'come close to me, I have good AA ', 'DD go cap C, I'll support', etc.), i'd need to first check which ship she's in, then manually look for her position on the map in order to act intelligently (for example, I wouldn't take a promised support too seriously if it is coming from a border-hugging BB), which is quite inconvenient. 

Good one.

Adding to that would be the name of the ship of the one typing, it's stupid that you have to mod simple stuff like this.

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
7 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

Adding to that would be the name of the ship of the one typing, it's stupid that you have to mod simple stuff like this.

To be fair a lot of QoL improvements in WoWs such as smoke borders and minimap ranges all started out as mods.

It's almost as if WG is outsourcing their QoL development to the community. While they work on their aim-scope magic.

Players
1,193 posts
19,074 battles

The changes for newbies are pretty sensible. The camo issue... well, I could get used to a pop-up saying that you're without one, but that would make the game like Windows Vista always asking for confirmation, which is something I don't fancy. Not a real problem for me though: I equip flags, camouflages and consumables manually and that gives me time to think and avoid ending up with the same guys many battles in a row.

49 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

To be fair a lot of QoL improvements in WoWs such as smoke borders and minimap ranges all started out as mods.

It's almost as if WG is outsourcing their QoL development to the community. While they work on their aim-scope magic.

Modding has allowed many games to flourish too: Counter-Strike was born as a mod for Half Life, mods for Rome: Total War gave you the option of fighting in different environments (realistic Greece and Asia Minor, Iberian peninsula, Middle Earth), fan-made overhauls for the Hearts of Iron series even ended up as standalone versions, resources' mods in Kerbal Space Program were added to the actual game... The more people think about something the more options there are, instead of the monoculture and groupthink that would occur if everything was managed by the WG devs, although they should keep their privilege in pointing out what's acceptable and what isn't.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Players
1,910 posts
17 hours ago, tamagotchi said:

Agreed. This is why im using improved chat mod.

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
23 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

2. Give the option to (un)equip a certain flag on all ships;

+ give the option to unequip all signals of the currently selected ship with one click.

Also give a seperate option for the shipcarousel which hides ships that are marked to hide. A filter to hide all ships without captain would be helpfull too.

Overall nice suggestions you all made. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
34 posts

Hi,

would it be possible to change how the signals can be selected in exterior/signals menu? I mean, right now you have to click on selected flag and than mount it. There is some delay even if you have good pc before the game and probably server calculate bonus. This behaviour is a bit annoying.

It would be nice if it worked as: select all required signals and than mount them in one go. Same could be done with commander skills and in inventory when you want to sell items. And as a bonus, there could be small window which could show you, what bonuses you choose just to be sure you are mounting what you really want.

With regards

Cunnedda

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
10 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Honestly, that's not a bad idea. Mods usually show quite well what players actually want, so using those for the minor tweaks and UI changes makes it so they can implement those kinds of changes with far better accuracy relative to player needs. Otherwise it's very easy to fail to consider exactly what players want, since playing as a developer  can be very different from playing as a player.

Also, WG kind of sucks at interfaces. They've yet to make a team list where you can actually see the names of the players, and the port interface seems to run on sneaker net for confirming button clicks.

Sign in to follow this