Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

St. Louis Citadelled! IT IS POSSIBLE AFTER ALL!1!

23 comments in this topic

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles

Yo guys, forgive my childish excitement.

https://replayswows.com/replay/19663#stats

I didn't trust my eyes at first but in this match, I actually managed to citadel USS St. Louis! And with SMS Nassau no less, which I think is the BB with the smallest main battery caliber USS St. Louis can hope to meet.

shot-18.03.21_20.43.01-0128.Yeah.Baby.jpg

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,660 posts
10,193 battles

See! See! St. Louis can be citadelled reliably!!!

Spoiler

Replace St. Louis with cockroach to get it

• Funny 1

[TDD-1]
Players
4 posts
3,699 battles
Vor 12 Minuten, Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

citadel USS St. Louis

you know that your account may be locked if you cheat?

• Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles
20 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yo guys, forgive my childish excitement.

https://replayswows.com/replay/19663#stats

I didn't trust my eyes at first but in this match, I actually managed to citadel USS St. Louis! And with SMS Nassau no less, which I think is the BB with the smallest main battery caliber USS St. Louis can hope to meet.

shot-18.03.21_20.43.01-0128.Yeah.Baby.jpg

Nassau can citadel any ship on that tier.

St Louis can citadel St Louis, for over two years now...

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:

St Louis can citadel St Louis, for over two years now...

Well, I've only been playing for what? Five months now? and mainly lived on a diet of older Youtube videos... I had been wondering what the people back then got so excited about. St. Louis (from inside it) did feel rather squishier than expected after all that Jingles hype.

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles
  • nearly BB Hitpoints
  • lots of guns
  • good armor
  • lots of good guns!
  • very nimble
  • did I say she has lots of guns?
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
19 minutes ago, WolfGewehr said:

See! See! St. Louis can be citadelled reliably!!!

Hide contents

Replace St. Louis with cockroach to get it

:Smile_teethhappy:

You didn't need to include the hint for me to get it.

Only one person on this Forum could argue like that...

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,660 posts
10,193 battles
1 minute ago, Miessa3 said:

could argue like that...

For that you need Master's Degree in Gymnastics.

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles
Vor 17 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:
  • nearly BB Hitpoints
  • (etc snipped)

Yeah and I still usually get wrecked rather quickly whenever I take her for a spin... maybe I'm holding it wrong.

The one good thing is I can't rush in like an idiot because she's so slow.

Doesn't stop me from slouching in like an idiot though.

Players
2,979 posts
16,930 battles
33 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yeah and I still usually get wrecked rather quickly whenever I take her for a spin... maybe I'm holding it wrong.

The one good thing is I can't rush in like an idiot because she's so slow.

Doesn't stop me from slouching in like an idiot though.

St. Louis was as bad then as it is now. Jingles is fun but often speaks wrong or outdated information and has a childish delight for anything with lots and lots of guns. But just guns do not make Kolberg og St. Louis good ships.

Horribly slow and easy to kite & it can only bring a fraction of the guns to bear. 

It's only selling point is it used to be tough, but has been powercreeped.

The newer BB lines can actually hit whatever they aim at (Nassau, Orion, probably French too). 

SC and Kawachi are lucky to land one shell beyond 3 km range.

The newer dds (V25 in particular) can just rush and oneshot it, others get DW torps with OP concealment.

Also the high point of the US cruiser line has been powercreeped (Omaha used to be a GOD on tier 5)

Cleveland is decent, but other than DesMo on T-X i see no reason to play the line except farming xp and credits with the coming split. Better play russians or germans or even french CAs.

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles

If you get rushed and oneshot by a DD in St. Louis, you are doing it wrong. She is a ballerina, very nimble, and has enough firepower to take out any DD in two to three salvos at that range.

When using inexperienced captains,  she is the strongest cruiser at that Tier. Borgatyr is only stronger when using more experienced captains, since her guns get buffed by captain skills. All other cruisers are far behind.

And yes, even an Omaha has a hard time taking out a St. Loius that is entrenched between cover. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,111 posts
20,074 battles

St. Louis has a turtleback that protects her pretty well against any AP shell regardless of caliber.

Only problem is that her turtleback is extremely shallow, so BB caliber shells that hit below the waterline are guaranteed citadel penetrations as her 13mm side plating gets overmatched. Reliably hitting her below the waterline presents a problem however since low tier BBs are notoriously inaccurate.

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles

OMG I woke up today and was forced to noticed I had actually posted this garbage last night ;-) Omaha main gun dakka dakka doesn't even benefit from BFT as they are 152 mm. All it would get you is better AA.

But why am I under the impression my Omaha is still not quite as quick-firing as it used to be before I switched captains?

Maybe it's just because of the switch to the new gaming PC, which also meant high-def Audio, so the sound has really changed considerably.

=============================================================================================================================

Vor 11 Stunden, GulvkluderGuld sagte:

(Omaha used to be a GOD on tier 5)

I think she's still quite good. As long as you don't fall for the C Hull with two fewer guns.

Early on, when I was still mainly invested in the German line, I made the mistake of buying a Murmansk, which also lacks these two crucial main guns. It seemed a good idea at the time. Can't remember hardly any good games in it though. Never grew warm with that boat. Then like this  year came the first game in the 12-gun Omaha after unlocking BFT for the captain. Suddenly, everything made sense.

An experience like I imagine the first-ever hit of crystal meth must be like (see video).

Should never have put that captain on the Cleveland, even just without the BFT it's just not the same. Let alone without those extra guns. Dakka forever!

)

Edited by Nautical_Metaphor
It's all WRONG

[L4GG]
Players
3,275 posts
10,872 battles

Furutaka and emile are nicer.

Omaha was nice until I unlocked the others.

Recently I returned to furutaka again and it's still nice, I'm experimenting against t7 ships  and I think that I will exchange it's captain, for it's original captain that it's in Aoba or Myoko's. (I don't know yet.)

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,409 battles
10 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

after all that Jingles hype.

10 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Jingles is fun but often speaks wrong or outdated information

^

@OP, basically this.

Jingles is mainly an entertainer :) for tutorials / "how to's" you're better off watching other youtubers :Smile_Default:

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, lup3s sagte:

Jingles is mainly an entertainer :) for tutorials / "how to's" you're better off watching other youtubers :Smile_Default:

Yeah I had that figured out by myself a while back.

Each time Jungles calls a ship "good", you can bet on Flamu calling it "ridiculously broken overpowered" or "straight-up dirty OP" or something ;-)

(Except for the Atlanta.)

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles

Flamu has a tendency to go emotionally overboard and miss the middleground completly. Not a good way to judge ships.

Little White Mouse does the best and most detailed review of ships.

• Cool 1

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:

Little White Mouse does the best and most detailed review of ships.

Disagree.

Her review sold me on the POS Murmansk in the first place. Although it might have been outdated by that time.

Flamu's reviews and especially his builds work for me 100% of the time, despite my lack of tactical brilliance and hamfisted style.

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles

March 2016 might have been a hint.

And you have to like playing cruisers in a BB heavy enviroment.

• Cool 1

[XODUS]
Players
799 posts
4,866 battles
13 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • nearly BB Hitpoints
  • lots of guns
  • good armor
  • lots of good guns!
  • very nimble
  • did I say she has lots of guns?

The St Louis doesn't have armour
It has Coal & Guns

• Funny 1

Players
2,160 posts
4,794 battles

Even an AI can penetrate the citadel of the the St.Louis!:Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

Actually, I'm not really certain it is a St.Louis she's shooting at. It just looks like one to me.:cap_book:

[H_FAN]
Players
2,617 posts
42,733 battles
23 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

If you get rushed and oneshot by a DD in St. Louis, you are doing it wrong. She is a ballerina, very nimble, and has enough firepower to take out any DD in two to three salvos at that range.

When using inexperienced captains,  she is the strongest cruiser at that Tier. Borgatyr is only stronger when using more experienced captains, since her guns get buffed by captain skills. All other cruisers are far behind.

And yes, even an Omaha has a hard time taking out a St. Loius that is entrenched between cover. 

Agree, totally, Bogatyr when you get a high end  captain you may go beyond the 100 K mark , I have not done that yet with St Louis but several times in Bogatyr (even if i have played her more I average a lot higher and you will get a giant step up with AFT /BFT/DE. As the low tier BBs are unreliable to hit the CAs are good to play with. But it has been a power creep against Bogatyr , she was even better earlier before several BBs got their range buffed and St Louis too. And the RN BBs are the worst enemies, HE spam is difficult to counter in Bogatyr especially combined with their range. 

This shitgame (carry harder game) I played today, T3 MM so not so much hp:

Boga.jpg

Sign in to follow this