Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Premium Ships - Camo "layers" bug - Rust etc removed when camo added.

10 comments in this topic

[-IAN-]
Players
2,023 posts
6,839 battles

Hi All, this is something I noticed after a Reddit comment about whether people like seeing the "Rust" look on ships and it looks like there's a bug in the way camouflages are applied to premium ships.

If you add any Camo to a "silver ship" then the ship keeps it's "built-in" layer of rust visible on top of the camo i.e. the camo is layered below the rust -

wows440.jpg

Yet with Premium ships, if you apply a different camo than the one which already comes with the ship, the camo layer is applied on top of the Rust layer, hiding it .e. the camo is layered above the rust, and this applies all the various camos I've tried (about 20 I've got) -

Camo Off - Rust visible

wows446.jpg

Camo On- Rust NOT visible

wows443.jpg

Camo Off - Rust visible

wows445.jpg

Camo On - Rust NOT visible

wows444.jpg

I've tried this on the 19 premiums ships I have and it's the same on all so, while it's in no way game breaking it might still something that needs looking at. It would also be interesting to see if player want to keep the rusty look (I prefer it) to the clean Premium look.

Modder
215 posts
8,704 battles

The textures contain a mask that defines to which part the camouflage is applied (e.g. the hull) and which part is kept free (e.g. the deck). If the rust is visible with the camouflage on, that means that the rusty parts are masked out. If the camouflage covers everything, that means that the mask has been designed like that. So it's not a bug, but a conscious decision by the developers. I guess they want the ships to look shiny and attractive with their premium camouflage on, so that more people buy them. I like the rustbucket look, but judging by how many rust cleanup mods there are around, I always figured I'm in the minority.

You could change this with a mod that takes the relevant textures and changes the camouflage mask. Depending on how the mask looks, that could be relatively easy or a little more complicated.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,290 posts
3,698 battles

The lack of rust when having camouflage applied is an intended feature of premium ships, being premium they are "more shiny" :Smile_medal:

I am not sure how feasible it would be to implement a toggle for this, but if there is enough demand I will gladly forward the idea to our devs!

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,628 posts
20,483 battles
21 minutes ago, MrConway said:

The lack of rust when having camouflage applied is an intended feature of premium ships, being premium they are "more shiny" :Smile_medal:

I am not sure how feasible it would be to implement a toggle for this, but if there is enough demand I will gladly forward the idea to our devs!

I think a global "rust" toggle would be great.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,859 posts
14,121 battles

I'd prefer to have the option of a 'rust' toggle, although since I hadn't noticed this difference between silver and premium ships, it's clearly not a massive issue for me personally...!

[-IAN-]
Players
2,023 posts
6,839 battles

@MrConway - So it's a genuine "Not a bug, it's a feature" then! :Smile_teethhappy:

Thanks for clearing that up. As mentioned above, while I prefer the rust it's not game breaking in any way and now we know it's designed like that I don't see much need to change anything.

[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,406 battles

Wasn't aware we were enjoying such a "feature". You learn something every day I guess :cap_hmm:

In any case, I second the "rust" toggle. The more customisation options we have, the better.

[NED]
Players
2,063 posts
8,050 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

Please also consider a toggle for all kinds of camo's for those who are not fond of all the hyper colorful camo's.

It would be a bit of work but i see no reason why this wont pay out when more and more special occasion camo's are released.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

Lived in look is much better than the 'just out of the box' one :)

Keep the rust for all ships - but the toggle would be great.

[NED]
Players
2,063 posts
8,050 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

Lived in look is much better than the 'just out of the box' one :)

Keep the rust for all ships - but the toggle would be great.

Every bit of player customization helps.

Overall i like the way the game is developing but the forced cartoonish camo's is something i find highly annoying even more so when i am faced with a camouflage that has fantastic bonuses to credit and xp income but its looks like something that would never be used on a real ship.

Sign in to follow this