You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

RPF in cruisers

12 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
3,310 posts
10,926 battles

Well, until now RPF never were use in cruisers (at least that I know of)...

And for some time now I'm thinking about it. And I know that only "spots" the general  position of the ship that's it's closer to you

And I would like to ear your opinions because it's a skill that demands 4 points, so not very cheap.

the advantages I got in mind are.

1) they will never suspect of the cruiser when you are in a flank with other ships or with a dd close by. (general use)

2) it would helps triangulate the ship position more accurate, when you are with other dd. (general use)

3) when the cv it's in danger of a lurking dd, or other ship. (specific use)

4) It Will  help if a red ship enter your lines, and if it is  a dd you will have much less trouble in the cat and mouse game. (specific use)

5) With RPF together with MM information you can buff your concealment, you can "see" a ship's there and if you can't spot to a certain point that only can be certain ships (that will spot you first like dds, cruisers and some BBs) and then it's up to you what to do. (general use)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Only cruiser line I use RPF on its captain is the RN CLs.

It's pretty useful in keeping track of unspotted DDs and more importantly gives a good idea how to angle in smoke against potentional torpedo carpets. Hydro does a good job not getting surprised by torpedoes, but it might still force you to abandon your smoke to avoid getting hit by the torps if you got caught broadside on ... which at least in my case is the purpose of such smoke torps against RN CLs, I know they have hydro and it's unlikely to nuke them in smoke, but works amazing in getting them out in the open and have someone else nuke them for me.

• Cool 4

Players
341 posts
11,275 battles

We often have a wide flanking cruiser (zao, henri, or a range Hindenburg if we dont have all the ships we need) with rpf on all our dds we can triangulate positions of ships like you mentioned. Personally I only ever used it on my shima for randoms and it worked pretty well.

Players
401 posts
7,897 battles

Its usefull only in CW pretty much, randoms there are skills you want that boost your AA or give quality of life changes. 

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
7 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Its usefull only in CW pretty much, randoms there are skills you want that boost your AA or give quality of life changes. 

I used to fully agree with you, but now that I've been sorta forced to use it on some cruisers twice for extended periods (needed for Clanwars, and I'm too lazy to respec back and forth all the time or train up a new high skill captain, so RPF in randoms it is...), I have to say I am not so sure I want to switch back after this season ends... Boosting your AA is all nice and dandy, but there aren't all that many CVs around anyway and the at least semi competent ones tend to avoid a Hindenburg anyway... and having RPF is neat in the very early game to get a sense of where enemy DDs might be going, it's occasionally useful in the midgame when the situation is right - and it can be an absolute match winner in the late game when you're trying to rat out that sneaky DD without having too many fish for lunch.

So, would I recommend it wholeheartedly for every cruiser? Nope. But I do think it's a viable pick in the current meta, at least for players that are good enough to properly make use of the extra information that RPF gives them.

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,310 posts
10,926 battles

So, I'm not the first one.

well, I was not expecting that (competitive ships being brought out).

And that leave me curious.

Because the videos I see always or almost always have the ship with two builds.

What's the difference between a ship for random and the same ship for competitive?

One it's more multipurpose and the other more specific oriented?

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Players
279 posts
13,544 battles

My Minotaur doesn't leave port without RPF.

• Cool 1

Players
1,567 posts
10,292 battles

Got 2 cpts for des moines, one include AA build another RDF build.

With DM i get once in 10 games carrier, and its questionaby worth AA build? And even when you do get CV game, ppl tend to avoid you.

On another hand, RDF advantages are obvious and I find them useful lots.

Players
3,305 posts
17,782 battles

My Nürnberg captain (19 p) has RPF for chasing DD.

I used the skill on Mogami too, but I'm back to IFHE.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,482 posts
10,120 battles

I think it is very usefull on most cruisers, especially if you play in divisions and you can communicate with other RPF-users. Also, you get a headsup when you are getting flanked by DDs if theyre closest to you. You get a notification if someone close is about to come around an island. I use it to determine the early movements of the enemies. Actually I use it on all of my cruisers except the russian ones.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

Got 2 cpts for des moines, one include AA build another RDF build.

With DM i get once in 10 games carrier, and its questionaby worth AA build? And even when you do get CV game, ppl tend to avoid you.

On another hand, RDF advantages are obvious and I find them useful lots.

Much the same reasoning here. I have RDF on a few of my T10 Captains for Clan Wars, but I like having it for Randoms too so may stick with it.

Most of my DD Captains have it for obvious reasons.