Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BarthalomewKuma

stuck on island

41 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
124 posts
8,516 battles

So any ETA when WG does something useful about being stuck in island and you cannot move no matter how you manouver ? 

 

Sure it happens every 200 games or so ... but when it does .... oh my god. WHEN IT DOES.

 

Then nothing else counts just today i spent 10 minutes in game trying to get myself unstuck from island.

 

HOW HARD it is to actually make mechanics that ships would bounce from island, instead of being stuck there forever ?

 

I repeat it doesn't happen often, but when it does - frustration level is beyond imagination. Nothing you can do, you my aswell go back to port.

 

It really brings nothing healthy to game or player ... or anything . 

 

Happens I won that game , not like i did anything when i was stuck at island forever. So it's rant about not winning games. It's about completely stupid game mechanics. Neither my team benefit from that neither opponents ( they didn't farm me or win game at all) - it just basically cancel me out from game - least i was stationary fortress montana in cap ...

 

You may ask how it happend ?  I was doing HARD turn to avoid getting hit by torps - and so i landed on island not nose in but broadside ... and its always the same story - you can get there that way - but you can't leave ... EVER.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
124 posts
8,516 battles
2 minutes ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

So you want a tugboat or what?

no  i don't want tugboat or feed your e-peen , since obviously by tone you enter this discussion its your sole purpose.

 

I want mechanic like this to be gone, via autobounce or such. 

 

Because even if you want to be internet hero you would agree that being stuck on island via slide in broadside for 10+ minutes isnt exactly fun and engaging gameplay would you ?

 

So I guess you are done with Tugboats i hope...

 

And it's not "bad driving" as mentioned it happens often out of necessity like dodging not expected torps , unless taking them is ... "solution"

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts
9,033 battles

Doesn't address the real problem, but I've helped people get unstuck before by ramming them.   Works best if they are on the enemy team ::cap_haloween:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
3,290 posts
10,901 battles
1 hour ago, BarthalomewKuma said:

So any ETA when WG does something useful about being stuck in island and you cannot move no matter how you manouver ? 

 

Sure it happens every 200 games or so ... but when it does .... oh my god. WHEN IT DOES.

 

Then nothing else counts just today i spent 10 minutes in game trying to get myself unstuck from island.

 

HOW HARD it is to actually make mechanics that ships would bounce from island, instead of being stuck there forever ?

 

I repeat it doesn't happen often, but when it does - frustration level is beyond imagination. Nothing you can do, you my aswell go back to port.

 

It really brings nothing healthy to game or player ... or anything . 

 

Happens I won that game , not like i did anything when i was stuck at island forever. So it's rant about not winning games. It's about completely stupid game mechanics. Neither my team benefit from that neither opponents ( they didn't farm me or win game at all) - it just basically cancel me out from game - least i was stationary fortress montana in cap ...

 

You may ask how it happend ?  I was doing HARD turn to avoid getting hit by torps - and so i landed on island not nose in but broadside ... and its always the same story - you can get there that way - but you can't leave ... EVER.

Lucky bastard it's what I got to say.

A cruiser or even a dd never have your luck.

yeap, that happened to me a few times.

Beaching on broadside it's more difficult because not always you can go sail again.

So avoid islands

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
124 posts
8,516 battles
54 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Lucky bastard it's what I got to say.

A cruiser or even a dd never have your luck.

yeap, that happened to me a few times.

Beaching on broadside it's more difficult because not always you can go sail again.

So avoid islands

 

 

Yeah last thing I would want to see is some drive by with torps to my belt :)). Yeah that part can be considered lucky hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
630 posts
8,785 battles
1 hour ago, BarthalomewKuma said:

no  i don't want tugboat or feed your e-peen , since obviously by tone you enter this discussion its your sole purpose.

 

I want mechanic like this to be gone, via autobounce or such. 

 

Because even if you want to be internet hero you would agree that being stuck on island via slide in broadside for 10+ minutes isnt exactly fun and engaging gameplay would you ?

 

So I guess you are done with Tugboats i hope...

 

And it's not "bad driving" as mentioned it happens often out of necessity like dodging not expected torps , unless taking them is ... "solution"

Omg .... you just analyzed the crap out of me

 

Like you said, it happens every 200 games or so ... cant say I remember having it happen that often so prolly a so small problem that it's not Worth its own thread tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
341 posts
11,236 battles

Well its mostly because of crap hit boxes I assume?  Some islands you seem to be over 200m away and you can run aground. Then you have others you simply love tap and they bounce you off. WG logic works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,065 posts
10,903 battles
2 hours ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

So you want a tugboat or what?

That was the ugly single guy's version of The Love Boat.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Every 200 games or so? Under my pic it says over 4k, and yet.... I think just once I beached myself in a position where I didn't have enough time to get myself out of (with the emphasis on DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME).

 

Generally speaking it's just your rudder being locked in the wrong direction, straighten it out or invert it, maybe go backwards a tiny bit. You can get unstuck from pretty much anywhere.

 

Plus, pretty sure there is some system already in place, that very slowly (with a lot of emphasis on that) pushes you off the island that you are beached on. I swear I can remember someone talking about it in... could have maybe been one of KoTS castings? Well, not sure when and what was said, but a mechanic like that definitely was mentioned

 

38 minutes ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Well its mostly because of crap hit boxes I assume?  Some islands you seem to be over 200m away and you can run aground. Then you have others you simply love tap and they bounce you off. WG logic works well.

Funny thing really, did you know islands don't generally tun into a vertical fall right down as soon as the waterline starts? Shallow waters and stuff.

Mind = blown for you?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
4,195 posts

Admit it... its funny. I remember screaming in the monitor "MOOOOVEEE #@€&**@#€" while torps were aproaching. I stood up and left the room ... but i could still hear the blast.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
257 posts
3,083 battles

personally i would like it if they expanded upon islands and address island hugging make it that you can run aground causing you to taking damage in the form of taking on water as you have just ripped open your hull on coastal rocks. the bigger the displacement the quicker you run aground

 

make situational awareness a thing.

 

BB's should run aground at say 1/2 a km cruisers 300 meters destroyers 100 meters CV's 800 meters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,758 posts
12,054 battles
23 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Generally speaking it's just your rudder being locked in the wrong direction, straighten it out or invert it, maybe go backwards a tiny bit. You can get unstuck from pretty much anywhere.

That's not necessarily the case. I mean, given enough time, sure, but it can take minutes of fiddling with your rudder and engine before you manage to unglue yourself. This can be bad enough that often - if not 100% sure I can clear the island - I end up steering straight into it. Because if you ram into the island head-on at full speed, you just stop, never stuck. If, however, you ALMOST manage to turn... it can get REALLY nasty. It's usually not a big problem with sticking out parts of an island, but if you happen to drift sideways into a flat "wall"... or, worse, if it's not flat but curved inwards... oh, boy.

This is a bit ridiculous, but the general rule is: only try to avoid an island if you're sure you'll manage to do that. Otherwise better ram into it at full speed as if you wanted to cut through: you'll be able to reverse and maneuver right away.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

bouncing off islands? Oh, so that idea is why you gave this thread the tag "makes no sence" [sic!]? :fish_palm:

seriously though, yes it's annoying - but much less so than something as idiotic as islands made of rubber would be... Better if there's actually some punishment for failing to avoid islands, even if it does sometimes lead to getting stuck (and I haven't gotten completely stuck yet... takes a minute or two of wriggling sometimes, or you have to use the minimap trick, but so what?)

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
730 posts

" Then nothing else counts just today i spent 10 minutes in game trying to get myself unstuck from island. "

 

Send the replay to Jingles so he can play his lift muzak and we can all have a good laugh.

 

Keep an eye on your mini-map and zoom out between shots so it happens once every 2000 battles instead of 200.

I'm all for leaving it in the game, as avoiding running into islands is all part of the skill of being a ship captain.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,758 posts
12,054 battles
46 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

bouncing off islands? Oh, so that idea is why you gave this thread the tag "makes no sence" [sic!]? :fish_palm:

seriously though, yes it's annoying - but much less so than something as idiotic as islands made of rubber would be... Better if there's actually some punishment for failing to avoid islands, even if it does sometimes lead to getting stuck (and I haven't gotten completely stuck yet... takes a minute or two of wriggling sometimes, or you have to use the minimap trick, but so what?)

Rubber islands would be bad, but some extra consumable under 0 that would push you off the island? Small tug boats could even appear, optionally each equipped with a big goldfish rowing furiously, trying to get you out of the mess you got yourself in :Smile-_tongue:

After all, running aground already stops you, then there would be the time (idk. 10 seconds?) it would take the consumable to work, all the while you'd be otherwise immobile... but we'd be rid of the frustration of spending minutes on trying to wiggle back and forth between pieces of terrain that are sticky to hard to predict extent - it's not always easy to guess which part of your ship is actually stuck and what exactly.

 

Although it should be said that the problem is somewhat minor - being badly stuck is less common than being detonated AND it requires you misjudging your turn in the first place (when running straight away you can hit an island head on but it takes EXTREME bad luck to get stuck without drifting in a not-as-sharp-as-you-hoped turn). So even if the result can be surprisingly severe (compared to normal interaction with islands) it's not a result you had no way of avoiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WCWVE]
Players
1,033 posts
16,609 battles

I got stuck once on the old style islands of ice, when I turned I ended up with bows on one island and stern on another island, explain how that is possible and how to get out of that, you can not go forward and you can not go backwards so no matter where you turn the rudder you were not getting off of those islands 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TAYTO]
Players
812 posts
8,593 battles
4 hours ago, BarthalomewKuma said:

no  i don't want tugboat or feed your e-peen , since obviously by tone you enter this discussion its your sole purpose.

 

I want mechanic like this to be gone, via autobounce or such. 

 

Because even if you want to be internet hero you would agree that being stuck on island via slide in broadside for 10+ minutes isnt exactly fun and engaging gameplay would you ?

 

So I guess you are done with Tugboats i hope...

 

And it's not "bad driving" as mentioned it happens often out of necessity like dodging not expected torps , unless taking them is ... "solution"

Oh come on, you ran aground. Deliberately, or otherwise, it's something most of us do at some in-opportune moment. Sometimes you get stuck, sometimes you don't.

 

If we're talking mechanics of boats hitting land/rocks, they don't autobounce.

 

On the plus side, you were protected from torps on 180 degrees, why not look upon that as a bonus :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Remove it? No thanks, wouldn't trade this memory for the world. Celebrate that you were able to fail so spectacularly in a way not many will ever achieve.

 

b8KoKgy.jpg

 

And look on the bright side, at least you didn't get stuck in a cyclone!

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
3,290 posts
10,901 battles
3 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

I think we've all been there at some point...:Smile_teethhappy:

 

wcs2396.gif

 

 

yeap, Weymouth  it's perfect for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles

This is what I like about my Aurora. If I hear the island collision warning I can calmly look around, decide which way to turn, then turn and be almost absolutely certain I'll make the turn. Though in extreme cases I might also have to slow down from my high 18kts speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×