soulmask

Is there much point going past T7?

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
88 posts
6,146 battles

Hello, please bear with me, i dont normally make thread's or post much, due to rewriting things over like 20 times,  anyway, recently i got the shokaku, now i have the lexington but stop playing us line over a year ago,

now i dont see myself as a bad cv player, but i know iv still got room to improve,  now my question is so far in the 7 game's iv had 5 have been t10 matchs 1 t8 and 1 t9, ok thast not much of a problem is about learning the in and outs of the aa while all so how people play,  but you all ways get that 1-2 player's that do nothing but complain towards you because you dont play how they want, or cant hit a dd, i feel like the t8 game play changes how a cv is played or that's just my confidence  getting kicked down due to these player's, so i feel like what iv done with the lexington and just let the shokaku sit in port, or gain more games under my belt with the Hiryu before going back to the shokaku?

all so is there a way for frights to stop mid strafe? seen it twice today where lexington fight have started to strafe but stop suddenly before my fighter can counter strafe or engage them from behide,

Players
1,421 posts
8,528 battles

Basically not. Already at tier 7 there are too much AA, and even worse with the defensive AA consumable. Hell, there even are dds with defensive AA which can easly hide on the smoke screen and shoot down all your planes at once.

Also, torps and bombs doesn't gets better at higher tiers. A tier 4 torpedo does the same damage than a tier 10 one.

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, soulmask sagte:

all so is there a way for frights to stop mid strafe? seen it twice today where lexington fight have started to strafe but stop suddenly before my fighter can counter strafe or engage them from behide,

Nope, there is none. I guess what you saw was just the glorious CV interface lagging ^^

Vor 1 Stunde, soulmask sagte:

but you all ways get that 1-2 player's that do nothing but complain towards you because you dont play how they want, or cant hit a dd,

Yes, T8 is where hightier starts and your team expects more from you and your CV.

This is partially correct, as you should know what to do at this level. But there are many players that have no idea about CVs and think you are their personal antiair babysitter.

You should just ignore the second type ^^

When someone criticizes you, think if he is right and you could have done better. Improve yourself with the feedback. But if it's just stuff like "noob CV y u no protect my solo bb at map border from enemy CV??" you can safely ignore him.

If you are unsure about your skill, staying at the lower tiers is perfectly fine. T7 is a good environment to train as the MM is nice.

Beta Tester
1,004 posts
16,051 battles

Theres no point in going past tier  6 even, last i played i was mostly mid tier on tier 6, as you go to tier 7 you get mostly tier 9. But overall, yeah, the comfort zone is up to tier 7.

Beta Tester
88 posts
6,146 battles

way i see it, first job scout the caps and try protect DD's form the other cv fighter spotting them, while all so going for a bomb strike on the DD's, than pick on ships that sail alone or have very little other around to add to the aa defence, all the while looking at my team and try to predict what targets the cv may go for, will stay at tier 7 and play some more there,   Thank you :cap_like:

yeah thought was rather strange with the fighter why was confused as hell xD.

[10GO]
Players
181 posts
12,124 battles

Midway is a monster and Hakuyru is still  the most powerful ship in the game. Essex and Taiho are fine. Shokaku is the boss of T8. It is worth going beyond T7, but you need to be merciless on your own mistakes. Bring useful divisions with AA support during prime time, as your opponents are likely to do it.

It's hard, but compared to competative Starcraft 2 it's still a walk in the park.

Players
3,130 posts
11,032 battles
19 hours ago, soulmask said:

Hello, please bear with me, i dont normally make thread's or post much, due to rewriting things over like 20 times,  anyway, recently i got the shokaku, now i have the lexington but stop playing us line over a year ago,

now i dont see myself as a bad cv player, but i know iv still got room to improve,  now my question is so far in the 7 game's iv had 5 have been t10 matchs 1 t8 and 1 t9, ok thast not much of a problem is about learning the in and outs of the aa while all so how people play,  but you all ways get that 1-2 player's that do nothing but complain towards you because you dont play how they want, or cant hit a dd, i feel like the t8 game play changes how a cv is played or that's just my confidence  getting kicked down due to these player's, so i feel like what iv done with the lexington and just let the shokaku sit in port, or gain more games under my belt with the Hiryu before going back to the shokaku?

You've won 4 of your 7 games in the Shokaku so don't worry, that's a good start.  

The first thing you come to peace with by being a CV captain is moaning.  Sometimes they might be right, sometimes they are wrong. But you play to the best of your ability, we all make bad decisions sometimes but at least we make them.  

I've had 2 Des Mon players 3.4 km away from eachother scream for AA cover :Smile_facepalm:.  Where i've also had a DD player being spotted for a long time screaming for help? Who i'm i going to help more? No brainer. 

Do we think the 2 Des Mon players will care and understand why you cant help them...They don't give a selfish S***. Not only will they moan but report you too even if you win :cap_tea:

Out of all the classes, CV's cant afford to be selfish.  Being Selfish in a CV loses games for the team more than any other.  Anyone who has played Clan battles at tier 8 know what i'm talking about.

I hate tier 8 games because of the god awful MM, but i enjoy playing the Enterprise because to me its something different.  Just get through tier 8 and get the Tahio or Essex if you prefer.  In stead of meeting higher ships alot, you will have more on your own level and even a few tier 8's thrown in too.

15 hours ago, Viktor_Lima said:

Midway is a monster and Hakuyru is still  the most powerful ship in the game. Essex and Taiho are fine. Shokaku is the boss of T8. It is worth going beyond T7, but you need to be merciless on your own mistakes. Bring useful divisions with AA support during prime time, as your opponents are likely to do it.

It's hard, but compared to competative Starcraft 2 it's still a walk in the park.

Single best piece of advice ^^.  The positioning of 2 AA div ships can completely alter the game for a CV player.  You need to do the same to be on a equal footing.  

Hakuyru with 2 8.4 km AA support Mino is the single best Div combo a CV player could ever wish for.  If the Mino players know how to troll tank and stay alive then your 75% on the way to a GG.  Makes me cringe thinking about it :cap_wander_2:

See all those CV players that have 70+ Win Rates? Yep, its all about Div's with AA ships.  Just take a look at what their SOLO stats are then compare that to 3 Divs? Its a shocking difference most of the time :cap_tea: 

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

It also depends on the reasons you play and what you get out of the game. For me the connection to the real ships is important and the way WG decided to implement CV progression annoys me and makes low and mid tiers pointless for me. Most of the historical big fleet carrier designs are T8+. Also while my micro isn't great I find the low squadron count and small reserves of lower tier ships doesn't satisfy the feeling of air power I want to be getting from a CV. I guess T7 is a sweet spot for MM, but the higher CVs are all powerful in their own right and fun with a bit of practice.

Players
3,130 posts
11,032 battles
12 minutes ago, VC381 said:

It also depends on the reasons you play and what you get out of the game. For me the connection to the real ships is important and the way WG decided to implement CV progression annoys me and makes low and mid tiers pointless for me. Most of the historical big fleet carrier designs are T8+. Also while my micro isn't great I find the low squadron count and small reserves of lower tier ships doesn't satisfy the feeling of air power I want to be getting from a CV. I guess T7 is a sweet spot for MM, but the higher CVs are all powerful in their own right and fun with a bit of practice.

You havnt played the Kaga have you? Only once have i ran out of Torp planes.:Smile_coin:

But your right, there is something majestic about ships like the Midway.  

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

You havnt played the Kaga have you? Only once have i ran out of Torp planes.:Smile_coin:

But your right, there is something majestic about ships like the Midway.  

Kaga (and Hiryu) are exceptions. I've recently re-bought the latter and though I want the former I can't justify the spend. Kaga is actually an excellent example of how I wish all CVs in the game were implemented (Enterprise too). Basically drop some T7s and 8s down 1 tier, maybe 2, so we get iconic big ships with lots of squads earlier,  balance by having weaker individual planes and the ships in early variants (less AA), remove time-travelling CVLs and CVEs and fill the gaps with important classes we're currently missing. Like Akagi. Damnit WG why you pick Kaga? If it was Akagi that would have been :cap_money:

Apologies for thread derail :Smile_hiding:

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,119 posts
20,088 battles

If you enjoy playing CVs there isn't much reason NOT to go over T7.

As for people moaning and whining about your performance, I can only quote what I stated in a previous thread.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:09 AM, El2aZeR said:

As a general rule of thumb no matter how good you are in a CV, at the end of the day someone is going to be salty. As you said, your team expects you to be everywhere at the right moment, most people do not understand your limitations as they simply don't play CVs, thus do not know the challenges you are facing.

There are also times when you just have to decide which flank you cover and which ships you abandon to their fate and no matter what decision you make or how correct it may be, at least one guy is going to whine and complain.

It's simply part of CV play at the moment. Don't let it bother you

I mean, just yesterday I had a Hindenburg complain about how bad I am. In that game I got Clear Sky, Confederate, High Caliber, Kraken and ended up on top of the scoreboard OUTSCORING the top player on the winning enemy team (I think I got a little less than 2k base exp or so). He managed to end up on the lower end of the scoreboard with less than 500 exp gained (though he wasn't in last place, which really says something about average player skill).

And I was captaining my Enterprise.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
88 posts
6,146 battles

CV's and DD are what i enjoy most in this game, what i'm going do is stay at T7 for a bit, if i'v done well may do the daily in the shokaku, cheers guy's

know coming to ask this question form people that player at the higher tiers will help :)

Yeah i find that most cases the people that whine do come near the bottom,

All so @El2aZeR your dam avatar is hypnotizing for some reason :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
176 posts
16,317 battles

For TL;DR

Hiryu tier 7 is still my most played ship. I play tier 7,9,10 CVs

Tier 8 MM is hard since 5 out of 7 times your a tier X wipping boy, And for CVs this is going to the extreme due to the exponential AA powerspike.

The shokaku is a great CV nice 2-2-2. But not vs tier X AA (or 4x dds, kidd.)

The Lex is OK. But will never be the 2-2-0 (2TB this is) powerhouse it was in CBT, due to intoduction of modals and capt skills, and direct nerfs (torp speed, flooding%, plane speed?)

Tier 9 is OK higher HP planes and have a modal to give it +5% (no where near to offset the +20% AA range) but it is doable. I throughly enjoyed The Tiaho, until "2017 year if the CV" was concluded with introduction of 4x DFAA & the KIDD.

Tier X, well if you like tier gameplay it is worth it. I had my midway and haka rust in port until I had to play tier X for the dmg emblem. And develop a little bit more liking for it.

But in general tier 7 is the sweet spot. Most balanced ship vs CV gameplay. To bad that that OP saipan is I  the same tier.

• Bad 1

[BOATY]
Beta Tester
21 posts
20,236 battles

T7 is definitely the sweet spot as Tombombardil rightly says. Well, unless you are actually playing against Tom in his Hiryu, in which case things get a lot trickier!

Saying all that though, I still enjoy playing Shokaku at T8. I just have to really play much more selectively against T10 matchmaking, drop the bombs on the DBs and be much more of an active scout/sighting player. 

My problems with Taiho play style is that I start to explore the limits of my own ability to macro flights of planes, that extra TB flight pushes me over the edge. 6 flights is all my melon can deal with. 

[DUSD]
Players
369 posts
7,382 battles

I quite agree. T7 is nice. MM is still pretty gentle while you first time gain ok'ish plane reserves compared to T7. 2CV battles sure but you always top tier them. 

I also agree on that AA division thinking. Played yesterday few games in my Ranger with full AA build Gneisenau with great results. Even bringed down unicum Saipan player which seemed very difficult. He just didnt expect that 7,5km manual AA umbrella no-fly zone around that ship.

Might sound unfortunate but I really consider not to even buy my Midway even while I have it reseached. Higher tiers madhouse, fun? 

[BOATY]
Beta Tester
21 posts
20,236 battles

With the incoming American CA split and a proliferation of US cruisers for a while, higher tiers seems even more bonkers to play!

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,119 posts
20,088 battles

Meh, BB overpopulation is going to persist so USN CLs won't be able to take aggressive positions and will get blown out of the water the moment they overextend.

I'm not too worried.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
12 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Meh, BB overpopulation is going to persist so USN CLs won't be able to take aggressive positions and will get blown out of the water the moment they overextend.

I'm not too worried.

If Worcester AA is going to be anything like Minotaur (and it should be, if not better), it can make an entire cap an instant death zone for planes from behind the furthest cover. It isn't going to be fun.