You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Excavatus

Poll for "X spot on Map mod"

X spots on the map Mod - What do you think?   

289 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this mod gives unfair advantage to the player who is using it, over the player who doesn't?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. WG said, "Applications and mods that help a player to aim in anyway that is not already avaliable in the game..." is forbidden to use. - Q: Do you think that this mod falls in the category of this official statement?

• Yes
    • No

240 comments in this topic

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,006 posts
10,859 battles

Today,

Mr/Ms @TigerMoth opened a topic about the mod in the title. He voiced his concerns.

There were both ideas for or against it but a lot of unrelated ideas and discussions happened under it.

If you want to read it, please do so here

and you can learn what that mod does there too, If you dont know.

So I decided to open up this poll.

Please feel free to explain why you answered as you did, here below.

and If we can stay away other subjects and posts and topics other than the questions asked, we can have a great shortened data for @MrConway, who already participated into the discussion and said he will adress our concerns and datas to the Devs.

Thank you,

PS: If you think there is a problem with the poll. Please tell me.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1

[IDDQD]
Players
2,097 posts
20,454 battles

for me this is obvious, are you able to reliably hit exact spot on map without mode? No. And with mode? Yes. So it gives aiming advantage.

• Cool 7

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

It clearly fulfills the criteria as they're outlined in the mod rules as an additional aiming help and as such shouldn't be allowed. Having a clear crossreference with the minimap when free aiming is something players without the mod don't have.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
3 minutes ago, Quetak said:

20:1 already? :Smile_popcorn:

All the Cruiser player are still in Kindergarten. Wait till 6 p.m. :Smile_popcorn:

[IDDQD]
Players
183 posts
15,988 battles

MonstroMarkers were banned and this mod still isn't, even though it's arguably worse of the two when it comes to the "golden rule" breach.. at least MonstroMarkers only showed enemy ship status that was observable by naked eye (fire). And this mod gives you clear advantage when firing against ships that have to remain relatively stationary.

But as far as I am concerned - perhaps better option than outright ban (which would be IMO difficult to enforce due to detection and false positive issues) would be to include this functionality in the base game, but either is better than current state of affairs.

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Voted yes, I had also opened a threat months back and pretty much delivered WG the reasoning as in "changes a mechanic". Should be banned immediately. 

Though, reading between the lines, I suppose wg doesn't have the capacity to shut this one down. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,006 posts
10,859 battles
5 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

How to make a biased and meaningless poll 101.

2 different questions, asking for people's OWN idea about something.

and they both have clear YAY or NAY answers.

Can you please elaborate?

Why do you think it is biased and meaningles..

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,434 battles
1 minute ago, Excavatus said:

First problem: No "I don't care", "Not sure" and "I have never used the mod" options.

Second problem: The 2nd question is irrelevant because... [see below]

2 hours ago, MrConway said:

We have debated and considered this mod several times and don't consider it to give much, or any, real world advantage in battles. If you have evidence that you think shows otherwise, please feel free to forward it to me.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,289 posts
3,698 battles

I appreciate what you are doing here, but as some have already pointed out, this poll is not set up in a way that it would offer a conclusive unbiased result.

I will however be noting the results!

• Cool 5

Players
606 posts

Well, looks like I'm in the minority. I kinda suck, but I have the minimap mod from aslains mod pack that includes this, and I have this X turned OFF(I think? I got the mod because I like the minimap transparency options) because I don't find any use for it. True, I don't play BBs, and don't encounter cyclones (not got any high tier ships) so that could bias my vote, but... I voted no both times!? :Smile_hiding:

edit: looks like Cyclones can occur to T5 ships, so change that to 'haven't encountered cyclones yet':Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
3 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I appreciate what you are doing here, but as some have already pointed out, this poll is not set up in a way that it would offer a conclusive unbiased result.

Then create a proper one yourself that satisfies your bosses.

This is looming for months now.

• Cool 6

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
16 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Well, it clearly violates the games policy on modding for WoWS yet WG are choosing to do nothing about it.

As others have said, if this poll doesn't fit your criteria, create one yourself :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
34 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Ignore the troll. If you look through his past posts he only ever posts trash comments and never comes up with anything original himself.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles

All mod should be removed. Only cosmetic mods should be allowed as it offer no benefit.

• Cool 13
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,004 posts
16,049 battles

You can ban the players who said ''NO'' right away.

But as our lovely staff mentioned, this topic is pointless, surprised didnt close it right there.

Players
3,272 posts
14,031 battles
1 minute ago, P2Win said:

All mod should be removed. Only cosmetic mods should be allowed as it offer no benefit.

Agree. I just want to use my Torpedoalarm Mod.

• Cool 1

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,362 battles
1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

PS: If you think there is a problem with the poll. Please tell me.

I'd say you should remove "unfair" from the first question. The fairness of the mod brings an inflammatory element and for me, that's immaterial to the question.

The rules state that no mod can provide a method of aiming which is not available in the standard client. The mod does exactly that. Either update the rule or ban the mod.

• Cool 1

[KLLCV]
Players
65 posts
11,902 battles

This mod doesn't make a difference for the majority of the player base in their game play (for obvious reasons). It does give though an advantage in combination with spotter plane when the BB tries to smoke shoot or even the cruiser.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

All the Cruiser player are still in Kindergarten. Wait till 6 p.m. :Smile_popcorn:

What's your deal with cruiser players really? 

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
1 hour ago, Quetak said:

for me this is obvious, are you able to reliably hit exact spot on map without mode? No. And with mode? Yes. So it gives aiming advantage.

you cant hit same spot reliably with or without mod cause of dispersion. aim lock when ship is spotted is what gives you accuracy.

1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

Please feel free to explain why you answered as you did, here below.

voted no to first question cause there was no option i dont care. and that is cause mod is too situational and it does nothing more than what you can already do with spotter plane if enemy is shooting in smoke (faster and with better results), or if you just remembered distance enemy ship was from you when he smoked or disappeared. in very specific situations x makes it easier to hit unspotted ships, but they are very rare and not worth all the commotion that is on forum.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
6 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

What's your deal with cruiser players really? 

Well, s/he says s/he's a DD player.

6 minutes ago, ElrogGA said:

This mod doesn't make a difference for the majority of the player base in their game play (for obvious reasons). It does give though an advantage in combination with spotter plane when the BB tries to smoke shoot or even the cruiser.

Yup. It only makes a slight difference for people who already know what they do and only really helps in a specific situation. I wouldn't say it's an unfair advantage. It is an advantage, but not a particularily big one.

It does conflict with the stated modification rules though, so it shouldn't be allowed on that reason alone. As it currently stands, it kind of flaunts the rules or provides a grey area, neither of which are desirable.

• Cool 4