Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Moar Medals & Achievements, because bling matters!

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

There has been a discussion going on for a while about how all the achievements in WoWS are basically all tied to "kill ships". While killing ships is important, it sometimes overshadows the true focus of the attention, which is winning the game. On Reddit, our tamed Shakespearean reviewer Little White Mouse has posted a topic to see which medals/achievements are possible to augment the ones we currently have. World Of Tanks has that medal/ribbon thing nailed down pretty good, with plenty of achievements to earn and to be hunted. Maybe you lot can come up with some more? If you do, try to have it not based on kills, but on stuff that is beneficial to the gameplay/teamplay. There is a dire need for positive reinforcement when you do your task for the team.

 

Some things that were already suggested.

 

Achievements:

  • David: as a bottom-tier ship, be the top of BXP earned among your team.
  • Goliath: as a top-tier ship, be among the lowest 3 of BXP earned among your team. Will not be awarded when detonated or dev-struck.
  • Get off my lawn: sit in a friendly cap and prevent the enemy from capping it for X duration due to your presence in the cap-circle.
  • I spy with my little eye something starting with an S: spot X ships which get damaged by your team-mates.
  • Kraken Denied: kill an enemy which has already killed 4 ships
  • Riot Shield: Bounce 100 shells and survive
  • Leviathan: kill 8 enemy ships
  • Spongebawb: obtain 1000% of your maximum HP in potential damage, and survive the battle.

 

(Historic) Medals:

  • Rodney's Medal: Be responsible for the permanent destruction of all main armament on an enemy vessel. Battleships only. During her duel with Bismarck, HMS Rodney fired with devastating effect on her opponent, playing a key role in disabling the Bismarck's main gun battery.
  • Scott's Medal: Score 5 citadel hits on enemy cruisers and destroy two enemy destroyers in a single match. Named after Rear Adm. Norman E. Scott of the United States Navy. USS San Francisco and USS Atlanta contributed to sinking Fubuki, Akatsuki, and Furutaka and heavily damaging Aoba under Scott's leadership off Guadalcanal.
  • Evans's Medal: Deal 6x your base HP in damage to enemy cruisers. Destroyers only. Named after Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans of the United States Navy. Under Evans's command, USS Johnston torpedoed the Japanese heavy cruiser Kumano at short range during the Battle off Samar during the Johnston's legendary last stand against a major portion of the Combined Fleet.
  • Tameichi's Medal: Deal 3x your base HP in damage to enemy destroyers and survive the battle. Japanese destroyers only. Named after Cmdr. Tameichi Hara of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Destroyers Amatsukaze and Shigure successfully participated in a number of successful night battles under Hara's command

 

 

Medals don't need to yield rewards, but maybe they can for the truly heroic ones. Maybe something like a "mission modifier" which grants you X times an increased XP gain in X victorious battles for the ship in which you've earned that achievement. The same modifiers as are currently sold in some premium-ship bundles.

 

 

  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
3,096 posts
22,124 battles

Yeah, why not. My other trouserleg still available. :Smile_medal:

medals.jpg.09ae657a55690a356bdc59b93e108025.jpg

BUT, what would also be nice would be to design a clan flag and to be able to mount it on on our ships and the Clan Port Flagpole as well. :Smile_smile:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles
18 minutes ago, MrFingers said:
  • Goliath: as a top-tier ship, be among the lowest 3 of BXP earned among your team. Will not be awarded when detonated or dev-struck.

 

 

 

Really like your post, except for this part.

Unless they make the following picture as a pixelised medal.

shame.jpg

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles

I would rather see Medals for actually playing the objective rather than more "ego stroking" ones! You know, to improve the game a a whole...?

 

50.000 spotting damage, 100.000 spotting damage, 1 cap, 3 caps, defending caps, blocking caps - something along those lines.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,979 posts
11,661 battles

This was the original thread where extra awards were suggested, including the correct "Get off my lawn" award and a couple other ones which were actually not related to kills or damage, but related to playing the objective.

 

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/98010-flamus-discussion-wows-the-focus-on-damage/

 

Seems theres actually a bit more to it. The original webpage with those suggested awards is here, including the Leviathan award.

http://shipcomrade.com/news/398/mentioned-in-dispatches.html

 

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

I would rather see Medals for actually playing the objective rather than more "ego stroking" ones! You know, to improve the game a a whole...?

 

50.000 spotting damage, 100.000 spotting damage, 1 cap, 3 caps, defending caps, blocking caps - something along those lines.

The "Get of my lawn" award was suggested as doing an x number of resets, not for blocking cap progression by sitting in it like how it's mentioned in the suggestions here.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 minute ago, NothingButTheRain said:

The "Get of my lawn" award was suggested as doing an x number of resets, not for blocking cap progression by sitting in it like how it's mentioned in the suggestions here.

 

With "blocking caps" I meant: While the cap is still neutral.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

Mikawa Medal - sink 3+ cruisers while in a cruiser, survive the battle  (based on first battle of Savo Island, August 8/9 1942).

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,979 posts
11,661 battles
2 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

 

With "blocking caps" I meant: While the cap is still neutral.

Doh, forgot to add that I actually fully agree with you. The awards that are suggested here, are mostly damage/kill awards which is the thing Flamu was actually trying to prevent with his video.

Was just trying to clarify the "Get off my lawn" bit :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Kingon Warmaster - destroy 3 ships, remain unspotted throughout the battle. 

 

Turkey shoot - destroy 40% of the enemy's bombers (might actually be one that you could scale).

 

Booky - get two caps, defend a cap five times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

bad boy- get reported by 4 or more people in one battle

cant kill cockroach- deal over 100% damage to one enemy ship that survives battle

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ELCH]
Players
66 posts
8,774 battles

We already have achievements and now emblems. We don't need medals on top of that.


What WoWS lacks most is team-oriented gameplay. Reward teamplay instead of promoting individuality or personal greatness ("stroke the ego" as someone put it). Award conditions like "5 cits and 2 DDs killed" promotes the same damage centric reward system that has been criticized so much over the past couple weeks. Don't do that. What we should be doing is trying to find measurable conditions that indicate team-oriented gameplay and then find rewards for that.
That said, I'm also not a fan of overly specific award conditions just to cram the medal into the exact historical context. "Only in Jap DDs" sucks in this regard..
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,660 posts
10,193 battles
9 minutes ago, robihr said:

cant kill cockroach

 

You mean Conqueror :Smile_trollface:

 

 

My suggestions:

 

At the end of the Rainbow there's a pot of gold:  Solocap D in North or A in Okinawa while playing a battleship.

 

This is not the Grand Canyon you're looking for: Travel through the passage in the middle of the Two Brothers.

 

Hakkō ichiu / All the World under one roof / Center of the World: Solocap B in Shatter

 

 

 

On a more serious note,

2 hours ago, MrFingers said:

There is a dire need for positive reinforcement when you do your task for the team.

 

Indeed, the game should give feedback so the ordinary players understand when they are playing the objective.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
118 posts
2,962 battles

As was mentioned (and some made videos about) I think we need more achievements/ribbons that aren’t related to dealing damage but promote (make more visible) actions that help the team win.

 

Here's my suggestions (based on OP). I modified a few from OP for balancing reasons. Bear in mind these don't require any specific rewards... just the recognition for positive reinforcement is enough for a start.

 

Public achievements  (those mentioned in chat):

Riot shield: Bounce or shatter x shells while less than y km from the ship that fired them.

Slippery Pete: Avoid x number of shells and/or torpedoes sent your way within y km.

Krakken’s tentacle: Get it for 5 Assistant ribbons (see Ribbons)

Fire director: Get it for 5 Spotter ribbons (see ribbons)

Get off my lawn: Reset the amount of capture points (capture progress) required to fully capture a cap  (reset points accumulate over all caps)

 

Ribbons

Assistant: Ship you’re spotting is killed by somebody else.

Spotter:  Ship gets damaged for over x % of HP due to shells/torpedoes fired while you were spotting.

Flag bearer: Victory points from caps you took (or assisted in taking) exceed x

 

PS:

The distance limits are there to prevent people sitting in a corner from getting those achievements.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

Hawkeye - be the first to spot 8 or more of then enemy team

Ninja - be the spotter for damage amounting to 30% of the enemy team hit points (sort of similar to confederate)

Nemesis - as a CV be responsible for spotting 50% or more of the enemy DD's that take damage when spotted (not your own damage, or perhaps yes to that, probably hard to code though).

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,116 posts
11,872 battles
4 hours ago, tank276 said:

Really like your post, except for this part.

Unless they make the following picture as a pixelised medal.

shame.jpg

Reminds me of BF2 medal, Purple Heart. Reward for having [edited]repeatedly handed on silver platter:Smile_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,449 posts

I don't think we need all the fancy difficult medals (like the Leviathan or the historical ones for example), but I do agree that we need more achievements/medals for being useful.

Spotting damage, blocking caps, resetting caps and capping deserve medals so newbies learn through fancyness that they're being useful.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
9 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Goliath: as a top-tier ship, be among the lowest 3 of BXP earned among your team. Will not be awarded when detonated or dev-struck.

A.k.a. the medal that your top-tier BBs will always farm? :Smile_trollface:

 

9 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Spongebawb: obtain 1000% of your maximum HP in potential damage, and survive the battle.

Seems awfully easy to get.

Lets see - randomly pick a DD (for example lets go Shima) which would mean... 179k potential dmg for it.

Shimas 12km torps have 356 490 potential dmg per full salvo - dodge one of these and you already have it

1 AP salvo from Montana - 162k potential - almost earn it from 1 salvo

I think I'm not going further with that, it's as easy as I thought :Smile_teethhappy:

 

9 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Be responsible for the permanent destruction of all main armament on an enemy vessel.

I've seen Richellieus, Izumos, Dunkerques and Lions go down to having just 1 turret active, but losing all of them - never seen that happening.

 

Ofc that's just me nitpicking, love the idea and more medals would be appreciated :cap_money:

 

7 hours ago, robihr said:

bad boy- get reported by 4 or more people in one battle

cant kill cockroach- deal over 100% damage to one enemy ship that survives battle

Now these 2 I want like right now :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
9 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I've seen Richellieus, Izumos, Dunkerques and Lions go down to having just 1 turret active, but losing all of them - never seen that happening.

 

Ofc that's just me nitpicking, love the idea and more medals would be appreciated :cap_money:

 

in all of my 8k battles i think i had one battle where i got all of my guns destroyed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CLADS]
Players
152 posts
13,220 battles

Please don't place rewards for only a certain ship class. We can clearly see what it does to the matchmaker

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
2,621 posts
42,802 battles

Braindead: If you sail into the channel on Two Brothers the first 5 minutes. Naturally it should be flashed big on screen.

 

To be more serious:

 

If you do several caps and defending caps I would say should be some sort of achievement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,264 posts
9,654 battles

As a light-hearted one:

 

Don't shoot, we're Republicans (survive x amount of friendly fire)

 

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,290 posts
3,698 battles
On 3/20/2018 at 12:10 PM, MrFingers said:

There has been a discussion going on for a while about how all the achievements in WoWS are basically all tied to "kill ships". While killing ships is important, it sometimes overshadows the true focus of the attention, which is winning the game. On Reddit, our tamed Shakespearean reviewer Little White Mouse has posted a topic to see which medals/achievements are possible to augment the ones we currently have. World Of Tanks has that medal/ribbon thing nailed down pretty good, with plenty of achievements to earn and to be hunted. Maybe you lot can come up with some more? If you do, try to have it not based on kills, but on stuff that is beneficial to the gameplay/teamplay. There is a dire need for positive reinforcement when you do your task for the team.

 

Some things that were already suggested.

 

Achievements:

  • David: as a bottom-tier ship, be the top of BXP earned among your team.
  • Goliath: as a top-tier ship, be among the lowest 3 of BXP earned among your team. Will not be awarded when detonated or dev-struck.
  • Get off my lawn: sit in a friendly cap and prevent the enemy from capping it for X duration due to your presence in the cap-circle.
  • I spy with my little eye something starting with an S: spot X ships which get damaged by your team-mates.
  • Kraken Denied: kill an enemy which has already killed 4 ships
  • Riot Shield: Bounce 100 shells and survive
  • Leviathan: kill 8 enemy ships
  • Spongebawb: obtain 1000% of your maximum HP in potential damage, and survive the battle.

 

(Historic) Medals:

  • Rodney's Medal: Be responsible for the permanent destruction of all main armament on an enemy vessel. Battleships only. During her duel with Bismarck, HMS Rodney fired with devastating effect on her opponent, playing a key role in disabling the Bismarck's main gun battery.
  • Scott's Medal: Score 5 citadel hits on enemy cruisers and destroy two enemy destroyers in a single match. Named after Rear Adm. Norman E. Scott of the United States Navy. USS San Francisco and USS Atlanta contributed to sinking Fubuki, Akatsuki, and Furutaka and heavily damaging Aoba under Scott's leadership off Guadalcanal.
  • Evans's Medal: Deal 6x your base HP in damage to enemy cruisers. Destroyers only. Named after Cmdr. Ernest E. Evans of the United States Navy. Under Evans's command, USS Johnston torpedoed the Japanese heavy cruiser Kumano at short range during the Battle off Samar during the Johnston's legendary last stand against a major portion of the Combined Fleet.
  • Tameichi's Medal: Deal 3x your base HP in damage to enemy destroyers and survive the battle. Japanese destroyers only. Named after Cmdr. Tameichi Hara of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Destroyers Amatsukaze and Shigure successfully participated in a number of successful night battles under Hara's command

 

 

Medals don't need to yield rewards, but maybe they can for the truly heroic ones. Maybe something like a "mission modifier" which grants you X times an increased XP gain in X victorious battles for the ship in which you've earned that achievement. The same modifiers as are currently sold in some premium-ship bundles.

 

 

 

I approve wholeheartedly of this initiative!

 

Feel free to send me a summary list of all the suggestions made and I will gladly forward them to the devs for consideration! :)

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,628 posts
20,483 battles

I really like the CC based achievements posted by @LittleWhiteMouse. Getting a Notser's medal would be hilarious, and it's high time we got something based on Jingles. That guy has been featured in Heliborne and Fractured Space already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×