Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

Last stand

47 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
4,158 posts

Hello.

There is something troubling me for the last couple of weeks.

last_stand.png

Last Stand
When the engine or steering gears are incapacitated, they continue to operate but with a penalty

I am running the skill on ALL my DDs and even some cruisers that are known to break engine / rudder frequently.

Lately I have noticed on some ships (currently can confirm Kamikaze R with Yamamoto captain) that LS is not working as it should and is being completely ignored (at least when rudder breaks, can not confirm atm for engine failure).

For instance - my DD gets hit, the rudder breaks and I cannot steer at all. The ship just sails in a circle (depending where my rudder was when I got hit) ignoring all A/D commands.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but shouldnt last stand enable the rudder to operate with a penalty? Because mine is completely jammed and the only option is to burn damage control.

Ive noticed this couple of times already.... yesterday on my Kamikaze with Yamamoto Isoroku. Could it be a bug or am i just stupid and was living in the dark? :)

I know this is hard to prove, I have a replay of yesterdays game (@home) when this happened, but I fear that todays micro patch might prevent the replay to work.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,111 posts
20,074 battles
32 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Now correct me if I am wrong, but shouldnt last stand enable the rudder to operate with a penalty?

You're entirely correct. Rudder should continue to be operable but with a penalty as the skill describes.

Personally I haven't noticed any change, though. Then again I haven't played my DDs too much recently.

If it does happen to you your best bet is to record it then write a report in the official bug report thread.

• Cool 1

Players
182 posts
3,092 battles

Now that you mentioned this, I think this happened to me too last time I played.. I just instinctively burned damage con and didn't think much about it but yeah I do have last stand on my DD captains.

Maybe I check the replay when I get home (if it is still working).

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,358 posts
20,981 battles

I think last stand should be build in for destroyers. Its just so mandatory.. Why should BB;s get the "detected" skill for free but DD's still have to pick LS?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,188 posts
3,650 battles
27 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

I think last stand should be build in for destroyers. Its just so mandatory.. Why should BB;s get the "detected" skill for free but DD's still have to pick LS?

Destroyers also get the (no less mandatory) "detected" skill for free...

[UNICS]
Players
1,358 posts
20,981 battles
1 minute ago, Procrastes said:

Destroyers also get the (no less mandatory) "detected" skill for free...

When Situational Awareness ("Detected") was a skill bb's didnt take it and DD"s had to . Since they made it free BB's got this skill for free ( a huge buff imo) . Destroyers have to waste 2 points on a "mandatory skill" which is broken and makes your captain less generic

[NWP]
Players
2,823 posts
16,939 battles
4 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

When Situational Awareness ("Detected") was a skill bb's didnt take it and DD"s had to . Since they made it free BB's got this skill for free ( a huge buff imo) . Destroyers have to waste 2 points on a "mandatory skill" which is broken and makes your captain less generic

And DDs + CAs got an equally large buff by getting that skill for free.

A lot of BBs also have to waste 2 points on a 'mandatory skill' called Expert Marksman. 

Every class has these more or less mandatory skills.

[UNICS]
Players
1,358 posts
20,981 battles
2 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

And DDs + CAs got an equally large buff by getting that skill for free.

A lot of BBs also have to waste 2 points on a 'mandatory skill' called Expert Marksman. 

Every class has these more or less mandatory skills.

well alot of DD"s need EM to , but who would want LS on their battleship

[NWP]
Players
2,823 posts
16,939 battles
3 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

well alot of DD"s need EM to , but who would want LS on their battleship

And CAs and DDs need CE, some BBs can forego that skill.

CAs and DDs need IFHE or DE. BBs don't need it ( unless if you want to maximize your Mongueror griefing power I guess :cap_hmm:)

Almost all ships ( bar CVs) need Superintendent.

Then again, nobody is forcing you to take these skills, you can always go for some crazy build and suffer a bit more :cap_viking:

[THESO]
Players
4,158 posts
6 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Then again, nobody is forcing you to take these skills, you can always go for some crazy build and suffer a bit more :cap_viking:

That would work in a world where respec is free, since you know ... we earned the points and all ;)

But anyhow, please stay on topic guys!

[ONE2]
Players
3,088 posts
22,088 battles

WOOT! @nambr9 Not working? Oh Noes! :cap_wander_2:

I did not play DD much this weekend, but if this is the case it will be a cataratarasstrophy (or some such or other thingy) of nigh-Biblical proportions. BUT now that you mention it - It would explain, why during the weekend quite a few DD's I was firing at just got disabled and seemed to go dead in the water way more often than usual (played Cruiser all weekend).:Smile_ohmy:

Hmmh, they also still have that bug with the Aigle IFHE too, so purrhaps there is some larger issue with the Captain Skills at large then?:Smile_amazed:

Beta Tester
3,188 posts
3,650 battles
1 hour ago, Ysterpyp said:

You do have a point in that a skill that is all but mandatory, can easily become a skill point sink that effectively lowers the flexibility of a skill tree by removing one point from the equation. This is what happened with the 'Situational Awareness' skill, which is why it was a good thing to transform it to a permanent game mechanic.

And I agree that 'Last Stand' is more or less a given skill for any destroyer captain with an instinct for self-preservation. However, I do not think that it is warranted to hand it out for free. One of the balancing  factors with destroyers lacking citadels and being such small and hard-to-hit targets, is that if you do manage to land a hit, you can usually count on knocking out their engine or steering. 'Last Stand' mitigates this greatly, so much so that I think the two points' cost is well merited. But in a destroyer with slow-turning turrets, such as the Gremyaschy or the Blyskawica, I'd still choose 'Expert Marksman' as the first second-level skill (and then sail in fear until I got two more skill points, but that's another matter).

On the whole, I feel that the various ship classes are overall pretty balanced, these days - skill-wise and otherwise!

Edited: Now, back to the topic. Please bear with me, nambr9!

[THESO]
Players
4,158 posts
Just now, RAHJAILARI said:

WOOT! @nambr9 Not working? Oh Noes! :cap_wander_2:

I did not play DD much this weekend, but if this is the case it will be a cataratarasstrophy (or some such or other thingy) of major proportions. BUT now that you mention it - It would explain, why during the weekend quite a few DD's I was firing at just got disabled and seemed to go dead in the water way more often than usual (played Cruiser all weekend).:Smile_ohmy:

Hmmh, they also still have that bug with the Aigle IFHE too, so purrhaps there is some larger issue with the Captain Skills at large then?:Smile_amazed:

Currently I suspect its the Isoroku Yamamoto bug, but I will play more DDs this week to see whats going on.

There was certainly something wrong with the skill ... in multiple games I had in the past 14 days or so ... will look more into this in the next few days.

[-SAB-]
Players
94 posts
3,425 battles

I had it happen in one game too, 2 days ago. I believe it was on the T5 Panasian DD. I was smoked up and a blind shot takes propulsion out. And despite having LS, i was unable to move at all. I ate a torp and died because if it. I literally needed to move just a tiny bit to dodge, but it refused to do so.

After that, i was unable to reproduce the bug though.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,358 posts
20,981 battles
7 minutes ago, ForceM1782 said:

I had it happen in one game too, 2 days ago. I believe it was on the T5 Panasian DD. I was smoked up and a blind shot takes propulsion out. And despite having LS, i was unable to move at all. I ate a torp and died because if it. I literally needed to move just a tiny bit to dodge, but it refused to do so.

After that, i was unable to reproduce the bug though.

Maybe its because you dont have access to propulsion mod, even with last stand it can take a while to move when engines is knocked out esp without propulsion mod equiped. Could be wrong tho

On Topic:
I havent really noticed a problem. 

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,409 battles

I play a lot of DDs (also with Yamamoto), will keep an eye out

• Cool 1

[POP]
Players
628 posts
12,255 battles

By WG's own standards if a skill becomes mandatory it should be "inbuilt". That makes sense. Having the skill Last Stand in the skilltree, however, doesn't make any sense.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,088 posts
22,088 battles
15 minutes ago, Altsak said:

By WG's own standards if a skill becomes mandatory it should be "inbuilt". That makes sense. Having the skill Last Stand in the skilltree, however, doesn't make any sense.

Yeeah, they did say that at some point. But then again I have tried to use the same argument to get the CE skill amended so it would not be "mandatory on every single ship" but with no success so it is remotely possible they just aren't being consistent with their principles. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
18 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeeah, they did say that at some point. But then again I have tried to use the same argument to get the CE skill amended so it would not be "mandatory on every single ship" but with no success so it is remotely possible they just aren't being consistent with their principles. :Smile_Default:

Naw that can't be possible! WG is always consistent! Like they banned all the controversal symbols out of the vanilla client so you have to patch all those red stars in again. Oh wait.... :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

I know it wasn't working while you are retraining captain for new ship (maybe that was your case), but in all other cases it should provide movement / steering but with a penalty.
So if you have retrained captain with last stand, and you cannot steer at all, its a bug.

[THESO]
Players
4,158 posts
14 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

I know it wasn't working while you are retraining captain for new ship (maybe that was your case), but in all other cases it should provide movement / steering but with a penalty.
So if you have retrained captain with last stand, and you cannot steer at all, its a bug.

Yes I retrained the captain.

Currently its retrained for Kagero but I mostly use him on Kamikaze.

But I do that for many captains ... are you saying "some" are bugged and "some" are not?

If so .. than this is the BIGGEST bug i have EVER seen in this game !

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

nonono, if hes IN PROCESS OF RETRAINING, then the skill isn't working.
If hes retrained allready, then it should work.

At least it was like that before, not sure about nowadays.

[QUAK]
[QUAK]
Beta Tester
627 posts
9,363 battles

But even if he was in retraining, since the Kamikaze is a premium ship, it should work.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
5 minutes ago, KS1975 said:

But even if he was in retraining, since the Kamikaze is a premium ship, it should work.

You can start commander retraining from lets say Yugumo -> Shimakaze, then place it into Kamikaze while its retraining, and retrain it for Shimakaze while playing Kamikaze.

Sign in to follow this