gyrostabilizer

What to do in IJN destroyer in beginning of the game

11 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts
4,133 battles

Hi,

What do you do in IJN DD in the beginning of the game? I go scout with my Isokaze, then I meet another destroyer. Isokaze guns are slow to turn and reload time is long, so I am at disadvantage. Should I run away and leave my team?

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,131 posts
21,904 battles

Normally you have a slight concealment advantage, so you see the enemy before he sees you. If you turn sideways in time you can keep him detected for your team while you are undetected. (Check the blue dotted circle on the mini map.)

Your torpedoes are pretty strong against DDs.

If you do get detected you should run towards your nearest friendly while firing back at the enemy. Stop firing if you can get undetected (your concealment blooms to your maximum gun range for 20 seconds when you fire your guns). You can use your smoke if you get focused too much (don't sit in it, use it to run away undetected).

Don't rush to the cap with speed boost at the beginning, you will outrun your friendlies and they will be too far away to support you. Better use the speed boost when you have to run away from the enemy.

• Cool 5

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles

IJN DDs have the worst guns but the best stealth. Your tactic should be to scout in front of your team and spot enemy DDs. Don't use your guns if you can't win for sure (enemy DD already weakened and you can go stealth again fast). Best is if you can do so without being spotted yourself, in that case continue until your team kills the DD.

A good tactic is to turn around in front of the cap and move in backwards. That way you can run faster if necessary without receiving too much damage.

If you get spotted, don't start to shoot, run away and if he shoots you, he will be spotted for 20s from further away.

Losing a few HP is no problem, but if too many shoot you and you can't go stealth fast enough, use your smoke. But don't waste it unnecessarily.

Don't forget that you are the eyes of your team. If you smoke yourself, enemy ships may go stealth as well and your team can't shoot them.

So use smoke only in an emergency or if someone else can spot. You can of course use it for teammates too, though it's mostly useless for BBs.

Situations where you should use your guns are to finish off weakened enemies when no other enemies are in your spotting range and from smoke.

• Cool 3

Players
55 posts
4,133 battles

The biggest challenge there is for me to stay hidden from enemy destroyer. This is the art. I have to consider that enemy destroyer can pop 3 km from behind an island and then there is no chance to run from him without smoke. My ship's stealth is better... maybe ... I still don't have Concealment Expert captain. My hope is my team kill enemy destroyer faster than their team kill me. If I run to my friends I stop being "eyes of the fleet" because my concealment range is big, but not spotting range. The one who is in the front does the spotting. Once spotted myself my only advantage that I can dance and do matrix style dodges, while cruisers and BB's can't.

Not sure I know how to torpedo enemy destroyer. Is impossible for me to hit him from say 5 km because they are fast and when in battle they change directions every few seconds. Maybe I should tease them into launching torps at me. Evade them. Try to close distance and launch my torps from close. If I survive his torpedoes or he even launches them because cannons are so good against Japanese destroyer :).

So yeah surviving first battle is the hardest part for me. If I do then it becomes easier, because I am so invisible :D

[TAYTO]
Players
813 posts
8,612 battles
12 hours ago, gyrostabilizer said:

The biggest challenge there is for me to stay hidden from enemy destroyer. This is the art. I have to consider that enemy destroyer can pop 3 km from behind an island and then there is no chance to run from him without smoke. My ship's stealth is better... maybe ... I still don't have Concealment Expert captain. My hope is my team kill enemy destroyer faster than their team kill me. If I run to my friends I stop being "eyes of the fleet" because my concealment range is big, but not spotting range. The one who is in the front does the spotting. Once spotted myself my only advantage that I can dance and do matrix style dodges, while cruisers and BB's can't.

Not sure I know how to torpedo enemy destroyer. Is impossible for me to hit him from say 5 km because they are fast and when in battle they change directions every few seconds. Maybe I should tease them into launching torps at me. Evade them. Try to close distance and launch my torps from close. If I survive his torpedoes or he even launches them because cannons are so good against Japanese destroyer :).

So yeah surviving first battle is the hardest part for me. If I do then it becomes easier, because I am so invisible :D

Your first sentence is what you need to learn - you have a stealthy ship but you need to just play her more and learn where other DDs will go. If you know where other DDs will be, don't get so close to where they are.

Running away to your friends will keep you alive and able to spot later in the match. It doesn't matter if you temporarily stop becoming the eyes of the fleet, it matters more if you permanently stop being the eyes of the fleet.

It doesn't matter too much if you can't torpedo an enemy DD, use your torpedoes to stop them going where they want to go. Think of them as area denial weapons first, but you might get lucky and hit a few of them.

You can fire 6 torps on a wide spread every 37.8 seconds with Torpedo Armamnent Expertise, that's a lot of area DDs won't want to get into. Use this skill while working towards Concealment Expert.

My most kills are in Isokaze, she's great fun when you understand what she can do and how you need to play her. Keep playing her and have fun learning her.

shot-17.06.21_18.08.00-0088.jpg

shot-17.06.21_18.08.10-0961.jpg

shot-17.06.21_18.08.31-0087.jpg

• Cool 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,131 posts
21,904 battles

Don't sail too close to islands were enemy DDs might be. Keep islands outside of your concealment circle and you can't get surprised by enemies.

The easiest way to torpedo a destroyer is to spot him, let him smoke up and then torpedo the smoke. This won't work against experienced players. Other than that you need experience to predict where people might go to. Just play and try your best, your torpedo reload is pretty short so you can get a lot of practice with the Isokaze.

And I would advise you not to go alone, you have a much easier time if you have support behind you. Enemy DDs won't engage you if they have to fear being demolished by cruisers and BBs.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
18 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Don't sail too close to islands were enemy DDs might be. Keep islands outside of your concealment circle and you can't get surprised by enemies.

That applies to any destroyer.

Without knowing what's on other side of island it's you who might get surprised.

And now there's also hydroacoustic search to worry about.

It's very good to roughly remember its range:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Hydroacoustic_Search

In short, don't try to ambush German cruiser from behind island or smoke...

Unless you have enough support to make it sink fast if it tries to push at you.

• Cool 1

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

Remember to factor in your turning circle when you play. Don't charge bow in too deep into the unknown, try to spot them when you are side on to stay undetected. Approach them slowly in this manner so that you can kite their detection. If you choose to go for the gunfight, never get surprised and aim your guns towards the target in advance, just like you do with a battleship. With IJN DDs, you typically want to kite away after shooting once. You also want to have some kind of advantage when you engage the enemy DD, not a fair fight. Look at the minimap and see whose fire support is at better position. Call targets on them and give your fire support time to react before you choose to engage. You can also choose wait and let them handle it.

• Cool 1

Players
55 posts
4,133 battles
On 3/21/2018 at 12:19 AM, DB2212 said:

My most kills are in Isokaze, she's great fun when you understand what she can do and how you need to play her. Keep playing her and have fun learning her.

Awesome game btw !

• Cool 1

Players
2,432 posts
20,890 battles
Am 20.3.2018 um 10:14, gyrostabilizer sagte:

The biggest challenge there is for me to stay hidden from enemy destroyer. This is the art. I have to consider that enemy destroyer can pop 3 km from behind an island and then there is no chance to run from him without smoke. My ship's stealth is better... maybe ...

They don't pop up out of thin air though. You must have some idea by now of where the spawns are and from what direction to expect the enemy.

I sold Isokaze much too soon, basically skipping her. Started in the German DDs, which play completely differently in the low tiers ("suicidal pathologic aggression" is the term, I believe. You should try it some time.) I have been regretting it over months and will buy her back the next time there's a port slot discount, which is in two or three weeks or so.

Of course you need to be a bit cautious in that kind of ship. Don't let yourself be pressured into attempting to cap at any cost when the situation does not warrant it. Maybe just sniff around outside the circle first. That is also a part of avoiding detection.

Mind the minimap, which you should zoom fairly big. If there are cruisers heading toward your cap, there will usually be DDs in front of  them that you just can't spot yet. Your first goal is to find out how many and which ones. You know which ones are on the enemy team because you have studied the team members list at the start. You can bring it up during the match  by holding the TAB key. But most of the time, not all enemy DDs are heading your way.

Other times, there are no cruisers coming. Maybe it is one of the times the enemy will just hand you a cap. They sometimes do. For any number of reasons. You might have an eye out on the neighbouring cap and maybe just go for that one instead if it is nearby and seems unmolested.
In any event, if there are no cruisers coming, eventual enemy DDs will have no immediate back-up, increasing your chances.

Many DD players immediately pull their smoke whenever they arrive in a cap circle. Turn it into your advantage. If you avoid being spotted by anyone else, and don't shoot your guns, they can't see you. You have a rough idea from where to expect their torps - they have less of an idea from where to expect yours. Strive to drop your torps into the smoke so they arrive at least somewhat broadside. Also spread out your torps. Some enemies will sit still in the cloud - the more advanced move back and forth. Some even pull engine boost for better acceleration, and steer around to avoid being broadsided.

All will react, in some fashion and at some point of time, when they notice their cap is being blocked. Maybe they drive out of the smoke to see what's going on and spot you for their back-up. Try to anticipate from their DD type and previous behaviour, use every scrap of info. Build up experience consciously by reflecting each game. You will be wrong many times. Deal with it by becoming more patient.

Zitat

I still don't have Concealment Expert captain.

That takes a long time. Ways to shorten it:

• Do not play a great variety of ships, keep to the same few ships over and over so the Commander XP accumulates faster on just these few captains. However, if you do that, you learn less about how other ships play. And that is something you want to know.
  • EDIT: Also play lots of Space Battles because you get 19-point captains for those, and ergo make a LOAD of Elite Commander XP. With Special signals, even mediocre games routinely yield over 7K Commander XP.
  • EDIT: also there's the space missions, some of which are for random battles. https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/pluto-is-a-planet/ Here you can win space containers, some of which contain Sci-Fi space camo, which gives you 100% extra XP and 100% Commander XP on top of that. So for a 1500 base XP match, it gives your commander 4500 Commander XP. Other times they contain special flags, see below.
  • Signals that boost commander XP, learn where to get those, besides regular containers. You will need at least a few T5 ships for campaigns and daily missions etc. Bismarck collection boxes from the Premium shop have a lot of special signals with high boost factors like the Dragon flags and Hydra, if you're not opposed to spending some money.
  • Talking about pay-to-win ;-)  a Japanese Premium ship - maybe buy Yubari, you can learn a lot from playing her and you can transfer your Isokaze commander back and forth without retraining cost. He gets increased commander XP while he's there.

Zitat

If I run to my friends I stop being "eyes of the fleet" because my concealment range is big, but not spotting range.

Your team only loses the advantage of having you if you actually pull back behind your most advanced cruisers. That doesn't happen so fast, and if it happens, chances are they are in so close combat they can spot the enemy themselves. In any event, they lose much more of an advantage when you die - but for good. EDIT: pulling back behind the front ships initially can be a valid tactic in standard battles with carriers. Ever so often, you get a carrier who goes after DDs first and if they get a good cross drop, they can take you out..

Now chances are you will die a lot sooner than the others in a DD anyway in most games. Your goal is to make it as good a trade as possible. (Although that may be the low tier German DD mindset talking.)

Zitat

Once spotted myself my only advantage that I can dance and do matrix style dodges, while cruisers and BB's can't.

You're also usually faster than bigger enemies, and at least about as fast as their DDs. So running away should get you unspotted quickly. You want that. If you're spotted and you launch torpedoes, they will also be spotted, right from launch, all the way in. Often, that means you might not even bother, except if you're so close the target has no chance to evade anyway. If there's an enemy plane over your head, that will also spot your torps early, even catapult fighters.

Once you are unspotted, you can regroup and try again. If you don't manage to get unspotted and don't spot the spotter, there is a persistent SOB on your tail who wants you dead. You need to do something about that, like call your team mates in chat, turn the tables on him and get him killed. ASAP.

Zitat

Not sure I know how to torpedo enemy destroyer.

Often times, torpedoes are not the first weapon of choice against DDs. That said, there's always a chance to get them while they are smoked up.

To get them when they are not smoked up and moving all over the place, you need to think about where they will be going, and shoot some "predictive" torps in that general direction, ideally while unspotted and possibly without target lock, so as not to spook them. (More.) (Because they will always be spooked to a degree when they are spotted, especially if can't spot the spotter.) EDIT: Here's another replay of mine to illustrate. Nothing stellar, "sealclubbing" with a 10-point concealment expert captain against lower-tier ships in my Minekaze. But still, I was outnumbered, outgunned, and they could have given me severe trouble with their hydro and cat fighter. https://replayswows.com/replay/20377#stats

Or another way is of course torping higher tier DDs, because some are a lot less agile than you. Compare this lil replay here <g>

https://replayswows.com/replay/19718

This also goes to show how much I disagree with some other players' advice in this thread to "not hug islands." To the contrary. Often, that's exactly what you want to do. That approach around that island before the first kill is straight out of the Atlanta textbook.

But the main weapon is your F3 key. Be a rat. Be a snitch. Get him spotted - call your team mates' fire on him. Keep doing it until your mates have done their duty. Be a pain about it. In chat if need be. Afterwards, hit the F12 key to thank them. Of course you also need to try and position yourself - and them - so they are in a place where they even have a shot at the enemy DD.

Also bear in mind your chances are often better when kiting, which means sailing away from him, goading him into pursuit, dodging his fire while popping the odd pot shot back at him. This even goes for DDs with much better guns than Isokaze. It is basically just a very small step from downright disengaging, which is also something you always want to consider. Can also work great against BBs and Cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
2,432 posts
20,890 battles

Also, if you're in an adventurous mood, you can of yourse always drive INTO the smoke screen of an enemy DD.

They usually don't expect it if you're unspotted to begin with, sometimes you can torp them from super close range and in eany event you spot them for your team mates.

So best tell them beforehand "going in" in chat so they're ready.