You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TigerMoth

WG: Please Ban The Mod That Place 'X' on the Map

269 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Having seen yet another thread about people being blind shot, I think it is about time WG banned the mod that places an 'x' on the map where you are aiming.

This is clearly a violation of the EU policy at Mod Policy

5aae1ee7db381_ScreenShot2018-03-18at08_05_49.thumb.png.897dfa4461d14068abe94f958f6ccb3e.png

I use this mod myself, and find it quite affective at resetting the cap when DD's have smoked up.

I reported this problem to Ph3lan and MrConway on Jan 6th and not had any update. Maybe we can get a thread to draw their attention to it?

• Cool 17
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,675 battles
14 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

I thought it was in both legal Modpacks.

14 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

I use this mod myself, and find it quite affective at resetting the cap when DD's have smoked up

So if you believe it is a violation of "Game Rules" and you use it, you also admit violating "Game Rules", and should get an account strike.

I have never used it, so, can somebody, preferably @TigerMoth upload a replay of how effective this mod is?

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
1 minute ago, 13Ninjas said:

I thought it was in both legal Modpacks.

Yes, this is the problem. WG are violating there own policies. Which is why they are such a joke.

1 minute ago, 13Ninjas said:

So if you believe it is a violation of "Game Rules" and you use it, you also admit violating game rules, and should get an account strike.

I have never used it, so, can somebody, preferably @TigerMoth upload a replay of how effective this mod is.

I use the official mod pack, so I can't be violating the rules, surely? :Smile_Default:

Not trawling through replays, but will keep an eye out for a suitable game, for you.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,675 battles
2 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

Not trawling through replays, but will keep an eye out for a suitable game, for you.

I don't mind waiting, but a bit confused, you declare this mod a cheat, but have no proof on hand to back it up.

So does it lock on the target, even in smoke? I didn't think that was possible.

Edited by 13Ninjas
OP You stated CHEATS in your keywords
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
7 minutes ago, 13Ninjas said:

I don't mind waiting, but a bit confused, you declare this mod a cheat aid, but have no proof on hand to back it up.

So does it lock on the target, even in smoke? I didn't think that was possible.

I didn't declare it a cheat. Please read my post carefully.

I pointed out that this mod goes against WG's policies, specifically, "Any mod that helps a player to aim in a way that is not already in the game".

• Cool 2

[SERBS]
Players
478 posts
14,705 battles

yes , many high ranking clans are using this too giving them unfair advantage , put an X on minimap too where your last position was when you were spoted , which is very usefull for radar and hydro use ....

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
43 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Having seen yet another thread about people being blind shot, I think it is about time WG banned the mod that places an 'x' on the map where you are aiming.

marker 1.png

5aae1ee7db381_ScreenShot2018-03-18at08_05_49.thumb.png.897dfa4461d14068abe94f958f6ccb3e.png

I use this mod myself, and find it quite affective at resetting the cap when DD's have smoked up.

I reported this problem to Ph3lan and MrConway on Jan 6th and not had any update. Maybe we can get a thread to draw their attention to it?

Seems reasonable to look at this. I don't use mods and I too would like to see what it looks like ingame. I support the removal of this mod if possible.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,394 battles

I have used this mod before, now I don't. It's not because I think it's cheating, but because it isn't as helpful as people think. Shooting people in smoke is easier if you either use spotter plane or watch the ship fire from smoke. A skilled player won't just stop dead in his smoke but will move around, making the X useless. The only people getting hammered by this mod are bad players who sit still and expect good things to happen to them. Such people have given me really nice dev strikes in the past.

And using this mod against players which are visible and moving is a joke, if you need a mod to shoot people like that you probably have problems playing the game either way.

• Cool 10

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,673 battles
1 hour ago, 13Ninjas said:

So if you believe it is a violation of "Game Rules" and you use it, you also admit violating "Game Rules", and should get an account strike.

That only means, he is attempting to violate the rules. :Smile-_tongue:

(Since the Aslain mods seem to be considered legal by WG staff.) 

Alpha Tester
3,018 posts
11,800 battles

I still use the vanilla client and have to wonder why, apart from aesthetics, people would want mods like this of any sort. It's actually very disappointing that people cannot play even a game without needng some sort of unfair or inappropriate edge over another person. Says a lot about them. Of course they'll justify it all away why they do it,  it's human nature to make petty excuses in this regard, use defense mechanisms when caught out, or blame the other guy such as 'well it's in WG's modpack, why not?'. Everyone wants everyone else to follow the rule book on the forums, in game chat and elsewhere, but they can attack the very essence of the game with stupid stuff like this.

• Cool 14

[TACHA]
Players
1,447 posts
16,064 battles
5 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

I still use the vanilla client and have to wonder why, apart from aesthetics, people would want mods like this of any sort. It's actually very disappointing that people cannot play even a game without needng some sort of unfair or inappropriate edge over another person. Says a lot about them. Of course they'll justify it all away why they do it,  it's human nature to make petty excuses in this regard, use defense mechanisms when caught out, or blame the other guy such as 'well it's in WG's modpack, why not?'. Everyone wants eveyone else to follow the rule book on the forums, in game chat and elsewhere, but they can attack the very essence of the game with stupid stuff like this.

I agree with you. I have at times played with the mod pack, but as it no longer works after upgrades, I rarely reinstall as most mods actually make the game look worse. The targeting mod (showing angle of ship) is useful but observing can do the same - the X marks the spot is, I agree, at very least bending the rules - might explain more hits I have had hen smoked up - though I put it down to the 16 shells fired by the Lyons!!

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
1 hour ago, triumphgt6 said:

The targeting mod (showing angle of ship) is useful but observing can do the same - the X marks the spot is, I agree, at very least bending the rules

I find that the X mod is more useful than the angle mod. I only really use the X mod because it's included in the minimap mod I use (mainly for the transparent circles, which I find to be easier to see with lots of circles active). Forgot if there's an option to turn it off, but since it's apparently legal and doesn't really affect me much anyway, it's just there. It is useful for determining range if you don't have any landmarks and the enemy isn't shooting. It's marginal, but it's an advantage. It's also in theory not any new information, since you do have the distance number at the aiming reticle and you can determine distances on the minimap by the circles you do have. That requires looking at two places on the screen as well as calculating the exact distance, though.

The ship angle mod is roughly the same as the direction lines (clarifying heading) on the minimap, and there's little point in having both.

The only other mods I use are those that move the interface around and a bit of information (shell and torpedo ranges) on the ship icons in the lists.

My opinion is that the X marks the spot mod should be banned.

3 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Is this mod in the official mod pack? What's it's name?

Not sure of the name, but as I mentioned, it's included in one of the minimap mods.

• Cool 3

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,675 battles
2 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

I didn't declare it a cheat. Please read my post carefully.

Look at your keywords in the header. :cap_haloween:

Still no replay I presume? I so badly wanna see how (As you stated) -- > "effective" this X mod is.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles
7 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Not sure of the name, but as I mentioned, it's included in one of the minimap mods.

I use Aslains and there its part of the minimap mod - I think from Autospy.  I like the customizable minimap like transparency or simply the letters/numbers being on the other 2 sides but I could very well do without the X.

In fact I have so far never used the X. I can shoot at ships in smoke alright with or even without the spotter plane - so I dont need a very inaccurate X. In that sense I wouldnt be sad to see it gone because it honestly looks a little "dubios" I admit.

One word of caution tough: Even with the X gone, people will still get shot to shít in smoke even with or without the spotter plane. I have done it before the X was introduced in Aslains and I can naturally still do it after the X is gone. So dont overvalue any potential removal-inaugurations. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 5

Players
630 posts
8,771 battles

It's not that hard to hit People hiding in smoke as they seem to think

A stationary target using its guns is easy to hit

A moving target using its guns is a tad harder but still not that hard

If X marks the spot gives you an edge no matter how small it is it should either be removed or implemented in the game for all, that should be taken into consideration by the Developers ...

• Cool 5

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles

Of course noone's gonna claim that this mod gives you a huge advantage, but that doesn't mean it's perfectly fine. It might still give a small and situational advantage, and thats problematic, since it still is an advantage others do not have. And if you say "Its so minor it really  makes no difference", then I have to ask: Why bother using it at all?  

• Cool 4

Players
2,831 posts
19,595 battles

well i'd like an official word on this cause  its not a clear violation like OP said.

i never used it cause i think its really not that usefull.

but i'd like to know if WG considers this leagal or not since its somewhat unclear where the line is at the moment

Modder
351 posts
6,420 battles

What's the point of this discussion? It's posted on the official WG forum, so the mod itself is legal. Period.

Vote for close.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles
2 minutes ago, OlliN said:

What's the point of this discussion? It's posted on the official WG forum, so the mod itself is legal. Period.

Vote for close.

Personally I don't care too much either way, but obviosuly he's not declaring it illegal, he's arguing for WG to look into banning this particular mod (and in the process remove it from the official modpack). Posting about stuff that might provide an unfair advantage should be removed from the official modpack is just as valid as posting about in-game balance. Just because something is allowed does not mean that it's never ever going to get changed or changes should not be considered. 

Therefore it makes perfect sense to make a post about it. 

If you don't like a thread, do what any sensible person does and ignore it.

• Cool 4

Players
231 posts
4,857 battles
17 minutes ago, OlliN said:

Vote for close.

What's the point of this discussion? Heroin is available over the counter from any pharmacy so it's legal. Period.

What's the point of this discussion? Women aren't allowed to vote so not letting them vote is legal. Period.

What's the point of this discussion? Your feudal lord can kick you out of your house and take it from you so it's legal. Period.

I could go on but I hope you get the point.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles
17 minutes ago, OlliN said:

Noone is disputing the legality of the mod. The point of the discussion is: Does WG actually care which mods get their official approval?

• Cool 1

Players
274 posts
10,732 battles
4 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

marker 1.png

He's says while using the angling mod!.

In any other game, a mod that removes intended skill elements, gets you banned for cheating, the fact that some of these ahem "mods" are allowed says a lot about the playerbase and WG.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
1 minute ago, KHETTIFER said:

He's says while using the angling mod!.

In any other game, a mod that removes intended skill elements, gets you banned for cheating, the fact that some of these ahem "mods" are allowed says a lot about the playerbase and WG.

The angling mod doesn't give any information that isn't already readily available. You can clearly see the same on the minimap. I've used it, and most of the time I forgot I had it because it didn't offer anything I didn't already know.

What mods WG considers fair or not doesn't say anything about the playerbase.

• Cool 2

Players
4,503 posts
7,604 battles
1 hour ago, havaduck said:

I use Aslains and there its part of the minimap mod - I think from Autospy.

It's the middle one of the un-named pack of three, the one with "direction lines".

I tried it out in training, it's certainly possible to reliably hit stationary BB whilst blind (about 50% from 10 km in Leander), I imagine it's also useful for hitting ships in smoke and for lobbing shells over islands when the target is obscured.

• Cool 1