Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EgyptOverseer

T8+ BB aim

27 comments in this topic

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

I am fine with people calling me noob or other obvious slander for the subject of this topic, and this is mainly due to the fact that I am genuinely at my wit's end.

I grinded the US BB line first, and since starting in September I only now managed to get to the Iowa beyond its stock configuration.

I experienced the usual problems through the line, but I learned to adapt and managed to get a decent run on all ships up to the Colorado.

Then I got the NC, and was salivating at the high praise it had. Grinded most of it in ranked, and got me to Rank 1.

Now started the problem. On the Colorado I perfected the aim so that despite the dispersion I would still get the good hits on the enemy broadsides. Hell, I even became a brawler, pulling frequently high damage/high potential damage, and frequent kills. When I got the NC I realised the dispersion was way better, so naturally I expected the high damage to continue. What I found, however, particularly at the Rank 5-1 bracket, was that the shells hit more and more consistently, but 1k pens became the norm. In the NC I went quickly from 100k+ matches to 30k+ ones. The devastating strikes I was dealing on the Colorado, and on the NC (at Rank 20-10 Bracket) all but dried up. Same aim, same shell hits, but now I can't even remember the last time I punished a broadside cruiser or BB. On the Iowa it's just more of the same. It's literally easier for me to citadel a broadside Cruiser at 7Km range with my T6 De Grasses than it is to do the same with the Iowa. I am regularly doing high damage with other BBs in other tiers, but this NC/Iowa bracket seems to be the Bermuda triangle for damage. I honestly don't know what I am doing wrong, particularly because I am able to do higher damage against the same ships on lower tiers, but on this one nothing works. Waterline, bow line, mid section, bow/aft, you name it.

Is there some kind of secret aim club for T8+ ships that I am unaware? Like a specific place you must aim that I am unable to see on all the videos I researched and battles I played? It literally feels like I have been given a dice to roll with nothing but blank faces. I am beyond tired of being able to hit manouvering DDs at 12Km+ ranges but somehow only get 1k pens on broadside stationery Cruisers and BBs at 7Km.

At this point I hope that there is something obvious that I am missing, because I have lost all hope and enjoyment in playing this line, and I do not have the will or the wanting to grind the remaining 250k XP to unlock the Montana, particularly because it's sold as an Iowa with an extra turret, essentially.

I am really hoping on some community guidance, because at this point I just feel like selling the Iowa, rebuy the Colorado and just stick to it as the highest US BB tier I can enjoy.

P.S.: I know about bow tanking, armor angling, lead time for BBs and lead time for different speed cruisers, waterline aim for normal BBs, bow line for stronger armor BBs, etc. If I can hit a manouvering DD at 12Km then hitting the target is clearly not the issue. I actually think the majority of kills I got so far in NC/Iowa is DDs. My issue is permanently seeing the shells hiring the broadside targets and doing nothing more than 1k pens, or 4k pens when I am lucky and I hit that stupid narrow aft section of cruisers that somehow deals more damage than the shell that hit them straight at the midsection SS or waterline...

• Cool 1

[AOBA]
Moderator, Players, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,953 posts
13,801 battles

The US BB's are Brawler ships until Tier VIII from then on their "favorite" distance is between 12-17 km. Beyond that point the japanese BB's are more accurate but your shells can still deal massive (precise) damage. Just keep in mind that the american BB's carry the smallest guns with "just" 40,6cm shells. The bestway to attack cruisers isn't blank range because your shells are flying a straight line right through the cruiser and you only get overpenetrations. If the cruiser comes very near try to wait until he's slightly angled so that the thicker armour activates your shell correctly. 

On BB's hoverever try to hit them below their B turret or their bridge structure. Normally the main armour begins slighly beyoung this point allowing you either a citadel hit or a massive penetration without shattered shells. 

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the point blank issues, but I would not consider 12Km point blank and it still gets the same results.

About the B turret, I do know that one. Still gets no results for me of significance, although that is particular to point blank range. At the usual 12km to 16Km range I aim fairly central.

I actually see the shells hitting the same places I was getting the devastating strikes before on the Colorado, NM and NC (Ranked 20 to 10). They are just not doing the damage they were doing before and I am clueless as for the reason.

Another common hit for me is the 0 damage hits on enemy turrets, even on Cruisers. Isn't it amazing that it's easier to hit small items on Cruisers at 17Km range that do zero damage than it is to find their citadel at  less than 12Km?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,161 posts
20,120 battles
1 hour ago, EgyptOverseer said:

I actually see the shells hitting the same places I was getting the devastating strikes before on the Colorado, NM and NC (Ranked 20 to 10). They are just not doing the damage they were doing before and I am clueless as for the reason.

By applying a bit of logic a hit location that may grant you a citadel hit in a Colo will not necessarily do the same if you're captaining an Iowa/NC. It simply can't be compared this way because these are three different weapons you're talking about. Ballistic properties such as shell arcs, speed, penetration power and underwater ballistics are entirely different from gun to gun. Iowa fires the same shell as NC but uses a different gun to do so, changing ballistics significantly. Colorado has a different gun and shell altogether.

Another common hit for me is the 0 damage hits on enemy turrets, even on Cruisers. Isn't it amazing that it's easier to hit small items on Cruisers at 17Km range that do zero damage than it is to find their citadel at  less than 12Km?

0 damage hits always occur when hitting modules, regardless of whether they penetrate. At long ranges your gunnery is inevitably more inaccurate than at short ranges, thus you'll be hitting what you're aiming for less often. At 12km you're less likely to have shells slam into AA guns and the likes unless you actively aim for them.

As for actual citadel hits, try aiming for the waterline to go for underwater hits. Citadel overpenetrations are a thing and Iowa has the best ballistic properties out of the three you named, thus is the most likely to overpen.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,315 posts
10,929 battles

First of all.

I am fine with people calling me noob or other obvious slander for the subject of this topic, and this is mainly due to the fact that I am genuinely at my wit's end.

I grinded the US BB line first, and since starting in September I only now managed to get to the Iowa beyond its stock configuration.

I only managed.

Are you in a race?

There's players with fewer battles than you that are in t10 and there are players with more battles than you and they aren't even close to t10.

I'm not even talking about skill acquired along the way.

Pace yourself, enjoy the ride.

second, not only the ships differs but also the players up there.

third, perhaps you are burning yourself up.

Have you tried  training room or co-op? If so, how it went?

Is it possible that you are a bit scrambled (after all it's a lot of ships).

I eared in one of the lasts Jingles videos, that Iowa has the same guns than NC but the barrels are longer, so there is a difference in shell velocity, could be that?

701m/s vs 762 m/s

type of grouping?

(that doesn't may seem a lot, but e.g. the Sherman couldn't penetrate the Tiger but the Sherman firefly could, the difference? same calibre but longer barrel)

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Interesting. So the extremely high amount of overpen may be actual citadel overpens? Genuinely didn't know that was a thing.

So how does one avoid those? It seems incredibly easy for anyone else that puts videos out with the Iowa and NC, but it's literally all I get. Overpen city, with at least one 1k or 4k pen every now and again.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
17 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

First of all.

I only managed.

Are you in a race?

There's players with fewer battles than you that are in t10 and there are players with more battles than you and they aren't even close to t10.

I'm not even talking about skill acquired along the way.

Pace yourself, enjoy the ride.

second, not only the ships differs but also the players up there.

third, perhaps you are burning yourself up.

Have you tried  training room or co-op? If so, how it went?

Is it possible that you are a bit scrambled (after all it's a lot of ships).

I eared in one of the lasts Jingles videos, that Iowa has the same guns than NC but the barrels are longer, so there is a difference in shell velocity, could be that?

701m/s vs 762 m/s

type of grouping?

(that doesn't may seem a lot, but e.g. the Sherman couldn't penetrate the Tiger but the Sherman firefly could, the difference? same calibre but longer barrel)

2510 battles is a low number? This is the only line (together with US cruisers) that I am above T6. Over 100 Battles in any tier should be enough to progress to the next one until reaching T8, I think. I don't really play ships after I unlock their next tier unless I love them or I have sufficient port space.

I did enjoy the ride (except the Pepsi, because it takes a special kind of masochism to enjoy the Pepsi lol) and was pretty consistent until now. The usual struggles at stock, but after 20 or so battles upgraded it usually gets better.

I do take your point about player level, which is why I only take shots once the correct broadside opportunity appears, hence my frustration.

In terms of co-op, hard to learn a ship against bots, especially with the severe deficit you start running into at T9+ per battle. I did training rooms when the citadel-gate became public with this update, but static ships are hardly a good measure.

I am scrambling only in the sense that the disappointment of this T8/T9 situation has made me frequently grind other lines instead, plus these new campaigns and missions require specific ships too.

In terms of gun difference, I do hear that, but my issue is on why I get such low damage salvos, even when I mimic almost perfectly other player salvos from what I learn in their videos. Literally I see their shells hit with the same groupings and similar distances from target, they hit citadels, I get overpens and 1k pens.

The main burnout for me is being in a BB in matches where Cruisers and other BBs don't even bother to angle and manage to survive the whole match, any turn I make is an instant citadel even if I am unspotted, and I am essentially resorting to DD snipping in a BB, which for me is a complete backwards logic.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,161 posts
20,120 battles
12 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

So how does one avoid those?

As I mentioned above, aim for the waterline. Underwater hits (which are completely realistic btw) are also a thing. Shells that hit the water first have their fuses activated, if they then continue on and penetrate the citadel you will score a citadel hit accordingly.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

As I mentioned above, aim for the waterline. Underwater hits (which are completely realistic btw) are also a thing. Shells that hit the water first have their fuses activated, if they then continue on and penetrate the citadel you will score a citadel hit accordingly.

Thanks for the tip, although my aim is always waterline (except German BBs). I didn't know the fuse activated when it hits the water so that is really important info. :cap_haloween:

It does leave me however in the same place. Is it that these shells are so heavy that effectively it's just RNG? Yamatos also struggle with citadel overpens on cruisers?

Overmatch mechanics make it so that damage is guaranteed, right? If that is the case, why are overpens not an issue with overmatch, or am I completely wrong?

[L4GG]
Players
3,315 posts
10,929 battles
27 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

2510 battles is a low number? This is the only line (together with US cruisers) that I am above T6. Over 100 Battles in any tier should be enough to progress to the next one until reaching T8, I think. I don't really play ships after I unlock their next tier unless I love them or I have sufficient port space.

I did enjoy the ride (except the Pepsi, because it takes a special kind of masochism to enjoy the Pepsi lol) and was pretty consistent until now. The usual struggles at stock, but after 20 or so battles upgraded it usually gets better.

I do take your point about player level, which is why I only take shots once the correct broadside opportunity appears, hence my frustration.

In terms of co-op, hard to learn a ship against bots, especially with the severe deficit you start running into at T9+ per battle.

I am scrambling only in the sense that the disappointment of this T8/T9 situation has made me frequently grind other lines instead, plus these new campaigns and missions require specific ships too.

In terms of gun difference, I do hear that, but my issue is on why I get such low damage salvos, even when I mimic almost perfectly other player salvos from what I learn in their videos. Literally I see their shells hit with the same groupings and similar distances from target, they hit citadels, I get overpens and 1k pens.

The main burnout for me is being in a BB in matches where Cruisers and other BBs don't even bother to angle and manage to survive the whole match, any turn I make is an instant citadel even if I am unspotted, and I am essentially resorting to DD snipping in a BB, which for me is a complete backwards logic.

Take it easy, relax. I'm not saying that's a low number

your post it's teeming with frustration. That's all.

you are wrong about Co-op, it's a perfect environment to test your guns and try to see what's the problem, to work around it and by your answer, you didn't go there yet or to the training room.

you are up against some formidable dds, I know some of them, they tend to bruise my ego also. But I worked around it. 

that's a good thing take a break and go for something else, then you can come back more refreshed

p.s.- My turd it's rusting in the harbour waiting for the US split.

[UNICS]
Players
66 posts
19,803 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, EgyptOverseer sagte:

any turn I make is an instant citadel even if I am unspotted

Clearly HAGGGS!

Spoiler

Dont start your turn when you are spotted ->wait till you are unspotted then make the turn. An enemy might have already fired before you went unspotte. You have to consider longer range ->shell has a higher traveltime.

• Funny 1

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
11 minutes ago, 000_LULU_000 said:

Clearly HAGGGS!

Hide contents

Dont start your turn when you are spotted ->wait till you are unspotted then make the turn. An enemy might have already fired before you went unspotte. You have to consider longer range ->shell has a higher traveltime.

Lol. I know that. Funnily enough, I do exactly that, to the point where before becoming unspotted I am full speed, then become unspotted, reduce to half speed and turn, but that magic dispersion means the salvo that was aimed at my broadside 2 miles from where I was supposed to be still finds my citadel. The frustration increases because those get me, but I aim at a stationary Chappa at 12 Km fully broadside and get 4 overpens, 1 shatter and 1 1k pen. :cap_old:

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
19 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Take it easy, relax. I'm not saying that's a low number

your post it's teeming with frustration. That's all.

you are wrong about Co-op, it's a perfect environment to test your guns and try to see what's the problem, to work around it and by your answer, you didn't go there yet or to the training room.

you are up against some formidable dds, I know some of them, they tend to bruise my ego also. But I worked around it. 

that's a good thing take a break and go for something else, then you can come back more refreshed

p.s.- My turd it's rusting in the harbour waiting for the US split.

Lol. Your humour is appreciated, good sir. :cap_like:

I am currently grinding the Baltimore. Still waiting for the hull+gun upgrades that take me from the ridiculous long reload to a normal reload, but I have no issues getting 2k XP matches on it, thankfully.

I have unfortunately decided to grind the IJN line, which left me having to free XP past the Myogi, because after 20 matches became clear it was never meant to be played in the first place.

My main stress relief is the GC. No issues with being a T5 in a T7 match. In that thing I can pull 140k games with 4 kills in a T7 match, lose and still have fun while angling against 2 T7 BBs and tanking a T7 HE spammer at the same time. :cap_rambo:

One match on the Iowa is enough to make me feel the most inept captain in the surface of the planet however. T7 BB full damage pens on a GC? No problem. On a Iowa it's like a game of finding Waldo.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,161 posts
20,120 battles

Is it that these shells are so heavy that effectively it's just RNG? Yamatos also struggle with citadel overpens on cruisers?

Any ship can struggle to do so depending on target armor, angle, ballistic properties, penetration power and distance. For example just recently I had to engage a broadsiding Edinburgh at extremely close range in my Hindenburg and I scored nothing but overpens on the citadel area. Only the few shells that managed underwater penetrations actually scored citadel hits.

Penetration is not RNG, dispersion however is. Aiming for the waterline is one thing, actually hitting it is another. BBs are the most inaccurate class by far, if RNGesus says no then no matter how good your aim is you won't see success. Best thing you can do against that in an Iowa is to take the accuracy upgrade, as that'll transform her into the most accurate BB in the game inside ~12km.

RNGesus will always be capable of trolling you however no matter what you do.

Overmatch mechanics make it so that damage is guaranteed, right? If that is the case, why are overpens not an issue with overmatch, or am I completely wrong?

Overmatch means that damage is guaranteed, yes. What type of damage however still depends on the penetration formula. Overmatch basically guarantees overpen damage but nothing else as the fuse threshold still applies. If you overmatch a thin plate full broadside, that'll usually be an overpen. On the other hand if that same plate is angled heavily enough for your fuse to get armed then that's guaranteed penetration damage.

E.g. if you hit a broadsiding 25mm plate with a 406mm gun that'll usually result in an overpen as the required armor thickness for the fuse to arm is 68mm (afaik). However, if that same 25mm is angled heavily enough so that the effective armor thickness becomes 68+mm then the fuse will arm accordingly, giving you penetration damage.

This is ofc assuming the target is wide enough for the shell to not leave the ship before exploding.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
28 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Any ship can struggle to do so depending on target armor, angle, ballistic properties, penetration power and distance. For example just recently I had to engage a broadsiding Edinburgh at extremely close range in my Hindenburg and I scored nothing but overpens on the citadel area. Only the few shells that managed underwater penetrations actually scored citadel hits.

Penetration is not RNG, dispersion however is. Aiming for the waterline is one thing, actually hitting it is another. BBs are the most inaccurate class by far, if RNGesus says no then no matter how good your aim is you won't see success. Best thing you can do against that in an Iowa is to take the accuracy upgrade, as that'll transform her into the most accurate BB in the game inside ~12km.

RNGesus will always be capable of trolling you however no matter what you do.

Overmatch means that damage is guaranteed, yes. What type of damage however still depends on the penetration formula. Overmatch basically guarantees overpen damage but nothing else as the fuse threshold still applies. If you overmatch a thin plate full broadside, that'll usually be an overpen. On the other hand if that same plate is angled heavily enough for your fuse to get armed then that's guaranteed penetration damage.

E.g. if you hit a broadsiding 25mm plate with a 406mm gun that'll usually result in an overpen as the required armor thickness for the fuse to arm is 68mm (afaik). However, if that same 25mm is angled heavily enough so that the effective armor thickness becomes 68+mm then the fuse will arm accordingly, giving you penetration damage.

This is ofc assuming the target is wide enough for the shell to not leave the ship before exploding.

Great help. Thanks! It really helps understanding the mechanic. :cap_like:

As for the Iowa upgrade, I have it from the start. Shells mostly cooperate. It's just about understanding why the majority of my salvos do 2k damage on broadsides. My main issue is actually hits on cruisers, because BBs I already expect some issues with penetration. It's when I shatter on cruiser superstructure that it gets me also, especially German cruisers. Edi overpens I already take for granted. The cruisers I feel sorry for are the IJN ones. I always get the most ridiculous citadels on them like the ones that clip their aft. Having said that, I had an Atago eat 5 citadels and still finish the game with 70% health, so...

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Well, shell must not exit the ship to deal penetration damage. Overpen is basically what it is - shell left the target, whether due to not armed fuse or shell armed, but run out of ship to explode within.

3 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

As for the Iowa upgrade, I have it from the start. Shells mostly cooperate. It's just about understanding why the majority of my salvos do 2k damage on broadsides. My main issue is actually hits on cruisers, because BBs I already expect some issues with penetration. It's when I shatter on cruiser superstructure that it gets me also, especially German cruisers. Edi overpens I already take for granted. The cruisers I feel sorry for are the IJN ones. I always get the most ridiculous citadels on them like the ones that clip their aft. Having said that, I had an Atago eat 5 citadels and still finish the game with 70% health, so...

Iowa have quite higher shell velocity due to longer barrels (50 caliber length compared to 45 in NC). That means following:

-shells have more penetration (duh)

-shells are more likely to exit ship before exploding

-shells travel at flatter trajectory, which makes below waterline penetrations more difficult to pull off, especially at shorter ranges

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Maybe worth spending some solo time in the Training Room shooting at a variety of T8/9/10 cruisers and BB's at different ranges and angles.the bots can't be made to move, but it may help you get a better feel for the point of aim on those ships with the guns you now have.

I'm sure you aim well (better than I do more than likely) and would benefit from the simple practice, it's boring, but it can help.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

by the way @EgyptOverseer, on a more general note since the tips you've gotten already are very solid:

A lot of this seems to be perception on your part as opposed to actually performing that poorly. Your stats in both the NC and Iowa are very solid. Yes, your NC is only marginally higher on average damage than your Colorado - but that's hardly surprising considering a) the Colorado gets much much friendlier matchmaking and b) the NC seems to have been your first foray into the weird and deadly world of top tier gameplay. So it's very natural that you'll take some time adapting to that, and just looking at your performance you're doing a very creditable job of it.

Especially if you stick with the attitude you've demonstrated by coming here and making this thread in the manner you have :Smile_great:

• Cool 3

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
4 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

by the way @EgyptOverseer, on a more general note since the tips you've gotten already are very solid:

A lot of this seems to be perception on your part as opposed to actually performing that poorly. Your stats in both the NC and Iowa are very solid. Yes, your NC is only marginally higher on average damage than your Colorado - but that's hardly surprising considering a) the Colorado gets much much friendlier matchmaking and b) the NC seems to have been your first foray into the weird and deadly world of top tier gameplay. So it's very natural that you'll take some time adapting to that, and just looking at your performance you're doing a very creditable job of it.

Especially if you stick with the attitude you've demonstrated by coming here and making this thread in the manner you have :Smile_great:

Thank you very much for your kind words.

And thank you to all that participated in the topic. I somehow expected to end up being called a noob, to git gud and the like. :cap_fainting:

It's good to see positive interactions here. Much better than the usual game chat ones. :cap_wander_2:

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 minute ago, EgyptOverseer said:

I somehow expected to end up being called a noob, to git gud and the like. :cap_fainting:

well, if you want you can still get those reactions! You'd just have to complain about how unfair and rigged the game is to produce your bad results, blame your teammates, claim hacks by your opponents, lash out at anyone that wants to give you advice, that kind of thing... 

People tend to get what you deserve 'round here in my experience; much like you've gotten exactly the kind of reactions you deserve with the attitude you've brought in here :Smile_teethhappy:

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,660 posts
10,193 battles
12 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

People tend to get what you deserve 'round here in my experience

Ut sementem feceris, ita metes  ;  As you sow, so shall you reap

Indeed, these forums help the ones asking humbly for help and troll the ones who just pour nonsense claims.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Instead of opening a new topic I decided to dig up this one of mine on the subject.

Iowa is now one of the rarest ships to find in the MM, and the global stats for it are tanking hard.

I have no issues admitting I have an appalling WR with it, but so far the only ship I target that I can consistently do damage to is the Minotaur. All others it's still overpen city.

Funnily enough, the games I deal most damage in are the ones I use no cammo on and just go Kamikaze charging into a cap from the start out of sheer frustration with the ship. I have been advised by other the dispersion mod may be bugged so I should remove it, but I am not selling a 3 million credit module or using doubloons to find out. After having played most ship lines, I can confidently say this is the first ship that has made me give up on grinding the line further. It takes ridiculous damage when bow on because of the concave bow cheek, so you can angle and still get citadelled through the bow by non-Yamato BBs because of the flat armour angle the cheek creates.

Anyone still enjoys playing the Iowa (after the superstructure bug that made it take no damage was fixed, that is)?

P.S.: This is not about buffing the Iowa or anything like that. I just still wonder why it consistently underperforms despite being the T9 BB with most battles played.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,161 posts
20,120 battles

Anyone still enjoys playing the Iowa (after the superstructure bug that made it take no damage was fixed, that is)?

Have to admit, I haven't touched the Iowa ever since I got the Missouri but then again the latter is essentially the same ship.

Iowa's bow shape is actually formed very well to bounce shells bow on. It's just that it's also very long, if your angling isn't perfect you're more likely to eat penetration damage. Also her superstructure is huge, taking pen damage to that even when angled isn't a rarity.

Never experienced a citadel through the bow ever since they lowered it however.

Combine that with her vulnerability to HE/sAP shells or torps and you get a BB that won't stand up to prolonged punishment as well as others. Basically Iowa is a :etc_swear: bow camper comparatively speaking. Always has been, really. I tend to find much more success roaming instead.

Global stats for Iowa have always been weak ever since FdG came out. Even before she enjoyed a rather slim margin over the Izumo aka one of the most hated BBs ever. It's not surprising why, either. She's a hard ship to do well in, one introduced to the game when gimmicks™ weren't a thing yet.

If you don't click with the Iowa, you're unlikely to find the Montana very appealing either as she has pretty much the same playstyle (stay at mid-range, abuse concealment).

On the other hand if you do choose to master the Iowa, you've essentially mastered BB play in general.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

@EgyptOverseer I do really like Iowa. I had a very shaky start in it, similar stats to yours through the stock grind, but I knew before I played it that it was a ship I would like so that kept me going. It just took a while to click. Best way I can describe it is it's basically an oversized cruiser. Roam on the edge of your stealth, pick vulnerable targets, hold fire if you have to until you position for the perfect shot then *blap*. You really need to predict where the enemy will be, where they will turn, and plan your own position accordingly to punish them while leaving yourself a route to slip away. Flanking is usually a good idea.

It's not a bow tanking ship. Directly bow on it bounces fine but it's far too easy to flank and even slight angles off the bow result in lots of damage taken. Plus it's way too hard to extract yourself from that kind of position and you're wasting your speed doing that. You can briefly turn in to bow tank if your route allows enough cover to turn away afterwards, or if you're chasing. You don't want to be forced into a position where you have to stop bow in. If you're flanking a stronger enemy group, turn away to kite before revealing yourself by firing.

I'm pretty sure there is no bug with the dispersion module. I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see one of those shots where instead of spreading out all the sells merge into one and hit as a single solid block. Unless of course they all miss, then I blame my aim. That's the curse of the accuracy, it absolutely does not leave any room for aiming errors. But it also erases health bars like it was Microsoft Paint.

As I said the ship is not your traditional BB. In fact, you haven't played any of the other BBs that have that playstyle (Kongo, Amagi, Hood would be my examples). That's probably why you're having a bit of trouble adjusting. Put on your cruiser mindset and see how that works for you.

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
11,316 battles

you need sometimes to get the hang out of the american superheavy 16" shells, but when you do, they become devastating. I see that all the others gave you very solid advice. Mine is:   

Try to lead a bit more than you used to be. It did the trick for me. ANd don't worry, the Montana (my first tier 10 since cbt) that i bought less than a week ago, is an amazing ship

Sign in to follow this