VC381

Best destroyer at Tier 7?

63 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
2,928 posts
5,746 battles

There was a nice thread over in the cruiser section so let's do this here too! With cruisers I had a lot of experience and strong opinions. Here I'm not as well versed but been playing DDs quite a bit recently so looking to learn a bit and maybe re-buy some keepers.

My experience so far:

Mahan: not played, went free XP from nothing to Benson in a moment of madness a long time ago. I kind of want to try but that concealment puts me off

Shiratsuyu: on this now, seems quite versatile and fun actually but I wish the guns fired a bit faster

Akatsuki: on this as well, strong on paper but can be a bit frustrating due to size and clunkyness

Minsk: not bought, skipped thanks to having both T8s from split. I've kept Gnevny but I'm kind of tempted to try this too. Worth it?

Maass: I have good memories of the German DD line, very versatile, can do everything well enough, but I moved my captain on to Z-23. I think Gaede was more fun than Mass, not sure if this is worth a re-buy

GM: this looks really, really good but I'm not interested in the rest of the line and lazy to grind just for it. I hope we get something similar in the British DD line, that I look forward to!

Anyway that's more of a personal summary than a ranking but it's just to get us started.

Over to you!

• Cool 1

Players
90 posts
6,848 battles

You right about mahan she's really depend on CE to become good.

With a 10 skill point captain she does the job, a good universal DD.

Some prefer the short range torp because they are more faster but i really advice to take the long range one you can really deny some area and get some good hit on a target who's not paying attention and you get 12 of them just need to be used of the 3rd launcher (on the other side of the boat)

It s the only T7 dd i grinded so far but im close from the one from RU line 

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,635 posts
24,455 battles

Mahan - good universal boat. The trollish torp setup can surprise enemies.

Shiratsuyu - very hard to do well in if you aren't really good at timing torps and using the booster. Hated the boat, but went through it for the Akizuki.

Akatsuki - way better torp boat than the Shira. The guns are workable and the fast torp reload make it into a dangerous bote. Going to buy the perma camo for it soon.

Minsk - good flanker, but has to play like a fast cruiser. Bad concealment and suicide torps preclude capping.

Maass - the combination of hydro and 5 guns is really good, the torps are ok. I think it's the best universal boat at tier, ahead of the Mahan.

Gadjah - I really wanted to love this boat, but the slow torp reload and low velocity guns brought me nothing but disappointment. In skilled hands really dangerous.

If you want a universal DD good at capping, torping, and scouting, I would go with either Maass or Mahan. When it comes to torpedo boats the Akatsuki is king in my opinion, as it can pump out 9 10km fishes every minute or so without giving anything up. If you want a gunboat buy the Leningrad, it's like the Minsk but with workable torps. 

The Gadjah has a problem of being unique in a line of very inconsistent ships, I did great in the Fushun since I had the Anshan, hated the Jianwei though. If you haven't played the line, leave it, most likely we will be getting the N-Class later on.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,951 battles

Leningrad - a much much better Minsk on paper (both are good, but L should be much better, although that doesn't work for my performances in both).

Both IJN T7's are decent, with the Shirat' being better than the Akat' overall (played both post Shirat' nerf). Nice torps on both and the guns better on the shirat, stealth very good and decentish nimbleness.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,635 posts
24,455 battles
5 minutes ago, philjd said:

the guns better on the shirat,

That's not true, it might be your perception but stat wise Akatsuki has better guns.

Let's compare them:

Akatsuki Shiratsuyu
Number of Guns 3x2 2x2, 1x1
Range 10,4km 11km
Rotation Speed 6,9 deg/s 6 deg/s
Dispersion 92m 97m

All the other stats are the same, so the same damage, fire chance, reload, speed etc.

Akatsuki has more guns that turn faster and fire tighter, she has less range than the Shiratsuyu.

In a straight up gunfight my money would be on the Akatsuki every time.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,928 posts
5,746 battles

Yeah, the Akatsuki is better on paper but the guns (and the whole ship really) feel less usable because she's big, visible and sluggish. That is my opinion of the comparison between those two at least. But although I've had great games in both I'm not head-over-heels for either.

I get the same vibe about the rest, good analysis and opinion so far but no strong emotions. It's as a if a few ships are good but none are stand-out great, am I right?

[SCRUB]
Players
508 posts
8,055 battles

Scharnhorst, because it has torps, moves like a DD, and beats every DD with 350mm armor belt :P

/OT

Gadjah is the best gunboat, since you have both great, and reliable firepower (unlike Sims or Mahan with their rainbow arcs). It can also stay smoked up with next to no downtime between smokes - which is why it`s better than Leningrad that relies on it`s agility, and praying to RNGesus for survival.

On the other hand if you want a torpboat I`d say Shiratsuyu, because it has way better concealment than Akatsuki, which despite being in "Torpedo focused DD branch" also has only one more torpedo, and no Torpedo Reload Boost available. And again at this thier IJN torps are the best torps.

[KOKOS]
Players
120 posts

I haven't played Minsk and Akatsuki but all the others are pretty good.

Maas and GM stand out because they are cool ships in otherwise rather uninspired lines, while imo there is little reason to play the rest once you are past them.

Tied for most fun are the premiums - Leningrad and Atlanta (the best gunboat dd in the game after all).

Players
538 posts
7,057 battles

Minsk is good, though it isn't exactly a destroyer when you play it. Haven't played the others, so I can only speak for the Minsk. It has pretty much unrivalled firepower, though needs expert marksman to make the turrets actually turn. The agility is average, but it can outpace any other ship at this tier. As mentioned before, the torps are so useless that you are already dead if you find yourself in range. Overall a good DD to support a stealthier one near caps, or to harrass BB's and draw fire in the open. I guess Leningrad is just superior though as it can act as a torp DD with 8km torpedoes if need be.

• Cool 2

Players
386 posts
13,039 battles

Think its name is the Leningrad XD. I have played all of them, even the blyskas on my sons account. The 6.6 detect, with torps that beat the kievs with a short reload, some epic 14km range and its fast as hell. In addition to a large hp pool, great Russian guns (minsk guns) I will happily gun down all other equal tier dds and higher up ones, (maybe not the kiev, sims, trashkent, fletcher, and the german t9) but everything else. The gaja is a close second, for me its to fat and eats bb pens because of that, but in a knife fight a gaja and lenin are quall. (from testing I have done in the training room)

• Cool 2

[SOCKS]
Players
790 posts
5,620 battles

-Mahan: PLayed it a long while ago, got it really scared of it because I heard everywhere it was so mediocre. 61% WR and 1430 WTR later, I moved on to Benson, after having a very nice grind. Yeah, concealment ain't really splendid but none of the T7s concealment is great anyway. And the 3rd torpedo launcher is a surprise very few account for when rushing a smoke.

-Akatsuki: If you like sneaky torpedo boats this one is very good. I don't particularily like that gameplay tho so I didn't like it. It's a dangerous foe tho, and a very good DD.

-Shiratsuyu: Don't have it yet. Someday I'll get the hatsuharu and grind it. Someday when I feel masochistic. I lately don't :P.

-Minsk/Leningrad: exactly same boat but Leningrad has 8km torps so is far better. They're the best trolls of the tier. Nothing like speeding from here to here at almost 50 knots firing at targets 14km away while people consistently fail to hit you back (at those distances this things are almost unhittable). Not a lone early game "rush capper", but is an excellent backup for a stealthy DD who's going for the cap, running maybe 4-5km behind it. Dunno if it's the "best" DD or not, all I know they're an absolute riot to play and the most fun you can have in this game (that's why I purchased the Leningrad after all, after having several hysterically funny games with the minsk) and is the last thing you want to see beyoond 6-7km in any other DD (because he'll blast your face with those tense trajectory 130mm guns while you struggle to hit him, specially if your guns are low velocity ones).
Beware: captain AFT demanded. CE is only optional and not really a great skill for this ship. You don't care about being spotted, you care about being at 10+km while firing and running at 50knots, and for that CE is useless.

-Maas: don't have it yet (close, 30k-ish XP left in the Gaede, but still not there), but for me it looks like a terrific ship...as long as there's a good driver. It demands HE/AP ammo switchovers all the time even when fighting against DDs (because 128mm HE is so crap) and intelligent use of hydro. And it has a lot of HP. Only problem I can see with this DD is the same as all german DDs: their smokes are next to useless.

-Gadja Mada: infernal hellish napalmthrower with DW torpedoes and permasmoke capability. For me this is the best T7 DD bar none. Deepwater torpedoes hit like a ton of bricks, but won't hit DDs so they are a bit tactically limited when dealing with smoked opposition. But that's good because otherwise this ship would be outright OP instead of just borderline OP.

-Blyska: don't have it and don't plan to (see no use in having a polish captain), but each time I've faced one it's been a heck of a ride no matter my mount. I've grown to recognize it as a very dangerous opponent, so I guess it's really good. Can't say tho.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,928 posts
5,746 battles

Ooh some love for the Minsk! Interesting! I do have a couple of spare Russian captains kicking around, I might give her a go at some point!

@RAMJB the reason you don't think T7 DDs are stealthy is because you haven't played Shiratsuyu :Smile_glasses: 5.8km, outspotted only by Kagero and Yugumo and even then only barely.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
2 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Minsk is good, though it isn't exactly a destroyer when you play it. Haven't played the others, so I can only speak for the Minsk. It has pretty much unrivalled firepower, though needs expert marksman to make the turrets actually turn. The agility is average, but it can outpace any other ship at this tier. As mentioned before, the torps are so useless that you are already dead if you find yourself in range. Overall a good DD to support a stealthier one near caps, or to harrass BB's and draw fire in the open. I guess Leningrad is just superior though as it can act as a torp DD with 8km torpedoes if need be.

Actually Minsk and Leningrad have rather low raw DPM.

So they need to make enemy destroyers miss by keeping distance and using speed to have "fair" damage trade ratio.

Though not that Minsk should even be that first line DD, but second line support/long range spammer.

Leningrad again can do double job as gun&run long range spammer and rush to surprise torpedo launch position/get far away before torps are spotted hybrid.

With torp boating benefiting Concealment Expert high speed allows it to take cap early before enemy battleships/cruisers can get close to support their DD.

7 hours ago, Titan_net said:

Tied for most fun are the premiums - Leningrad and Atlanta (the best gunboat dd in the game after all).

Scharnhorst beats Atlanta in armor and hp, plus you can get 8km secondaries which are nice when being top tier. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
4,142 posts
23,275 battles

Leningrad or Blyskawica for the gun boats.

Shiratsuyu for torpedoes and concealment.

Sims for team support.

Mahan / GM for universality.

• Cool 2

[FMP]
Players
76 posts

Leningrad as said above.

GM is actually really good and T8, 9, 10 only gets better with better concealment and mighty DW torps. I would strongly recommend you watch more youtube video escpecially about T9 and T10 PADD line. :cap_rambo:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,928 posts
5,746 battles

So I've been focusing on IJN DDs recently and although I'm having fun in both T7s my WR is <50% so I guess I'm not doing as well in them as I thought. Anyway Maass is the only mid tier DD I seem to have solidly good results in. Been playing Soviet DDs (Gnevny and Kiev) to see if I can remember if I liked that style before I spend credits on Minsk, but my results aren't great there either. :Smile_honoring: to be honest I remembered we're getting HMS Cossack at some point. That looks like a must have!

Players
538 posts
7,057 battles
6 minutes ago, VC381 said:

I remembered we're getting HMS Cossack at some point. That looks like a must have!

Sadly its in an unhistorical refit. Cossack was sunk before the Tribals were refitted with the twin 4" AA mount in place of X turret. If they gave Cossack its original armament of 8x 4.7" guns and a reload to balance it against the others at T7, it would be much better. I suppose we could even forgive those god-awful firing angles for A and Y turrets. It may be worth waiting for the actual Royal Navy DD line, let's see how they stack up against the competition (gimmick super-torps, mad chance of detonating other ships? :Smile-_tongue:)

• Cool 2

Players
52 posts
7,056 battles

without a doubt, Leningrad is the best of the t7 that i played, WTR wise Akatsuki 1410(35 games), Leningrad 1320(84), Błyskawica  1216(55) but than i look at WR Leningrad 61,9% and the others 49% and 48,5%.

Not even going to put Mahan because they are crap, i just wanted to get to fletcher since it was more of hybrid.

Even better to make a point, frags per match on top 3 DD, Fletcher 1,17 Shinonome 1.16 Leningrad 1,31

Leningrad is the most fun t7 dd i played and the most disapointed was Blyskawica (was expecting much more from it) it is not half the ship Leningrad is, i got Blyska first but after getting Leningrad my feelings was "why didn't i get this one first it is so much better".

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

Haven't really played any of them other than Shiratsuyu and Mahan, and the latter was a long time ago. So I have experience with one of them. Which is a good ship if you're good at being sneaky and good at aiming and timing torpedoes. The guns are rather punchy for a DD, but slow firing. Makes for good kiting, though, since the arcs are good.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

Gadjah Mada for me. Right out better than Mahan, Maass, Akatsuki and Shira. Haven't played Blyska, Lenin/Minsk or Sims, but I doubt they can hold a candle to GD when it comes to carrying games.

[SOCKS]
Players
790 posts
5,620 battles
10 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Gadjah Mada for me. Right out better than Mahan, Maass, Akatsuki and Shira. Haven't played Blyska, Lenin/Minsk or Sims, but I doubt they can hold a candle to GD when it comes to carrying games.

After having grinded it, I disagree with "Better than Maas". In fact Maas is pretty much the closest thing to a direct counter for GM. Given the Mada's almost permasmokes ,hydro is key at the time of disrupting  it's playstile. Not only that but you usually get them on the wrong footing while they're firing away in smoke. You come ,activate hydro and before the dude notices something's wrong he's under a hailstorm of fire from everyone in sight.

And Minsk's short range torpedoes mean she has a harder time carrying - but Leningrad has 8km ones and indeed  carries games like a boss.

• Cool 1

Players
205 posts
5,325 battles
On 3/16/2018 at 11:24 AM, VC381 said:

Akatsuki: on this as well, strong on paper but can be a bit frustrating due to size and clunkyness

Over to you!

Well!. You're spot on with that assessment, to me Torp boats are all about Detectability Range by Sea, this has the worst by far of all my boats i've played in the DD lines, 7.2 with 3% camo at the moment. 

Torp boats should be quick, nimble, and sneaky. But the Ataksuki is the most frustrating thing ever until all the other DD's are out of the game, I'm a fairly new player (400 Battles now). I didn't know about moving Ship Captains from boat to boat until i was at the Mutsuki so i don't have the level 4 Concealment skill, I'm 2 points from it, which is a loooong way right now. I have all my flags on for bonus captain Xp, and even a Camo but its a long what when you don't get much score due to being spotted and the then all the ships in 10k range unleash hell on me. My Det at sea with Camo is 7.2km's.. every game i get matched with more DD's than in my team so i have to try and play it like a Leander/Emerald... move in .. smoke up.. try pick off a DD with random torps into smoke, I enjoy the extra turret for sure, and i do make good use of it but its not supposed to be a Gun boat. If i wanted a Gun boat i would've stuck with the Pan-Asia or USN line... 

My frustration levels at the matchmaking right now is making me not want to play any more. I am loosing interest faster than I'm loosing games, my only hope is to get matched up with a few teams where they nuke the other teams DD's early on.. but i'll have wasted all my flags by then +333% commander XP flags by then /sigh =/ 

AtaksukiDefeats.JPG

[ALYEN]
Players
3,077 posts
4,508 battles

Hmm ... I'd say Leningrad followed close second by GM. However I have only played the Russians and Akatsuki (did not yet take out the Shira). Mahan looks to be the JOAT of the tier, needs good player skill to make it work.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,254 posts
21,983 battles

Fiji. :Smile_trollface:

Mahan is a great ship if you have enough captain skills to sate her needs.

• Funny 2