You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BigBadBeef

Captain Retraining - keep old ship?

27 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
835 battles

Hello, A simple question,

I am grinding Down the german battleships line. I am about to get... 'Ze Bismarck [Insert german national anthem here]. Annyways, I agree with the rest of the community that this is the pinnacle of the german BB tech tree, at least as far as fast, manueverable battleships are concerned.

However as I intend to keep the Bismarck, I will continue to grind down the tech tree, as I am curious about "the big sausage". I would like to plan ahead, and I am curious:
If you retrain your captain for the next ship in line, does he maintain his proficiency of the previous ship in question?

I want to know because I am hoping not to need to train a new captain for the currywurst, and those retrainings are either lengthy or expensive!

[ONE2]
Players
3,086 posts
21,999 battles

You will still need to re-train the cap. Sorry about that. Keep the old ship, you will want to play mid-tiers sometime in the future anyways, so it would be a waste to have to re-buy ships again later on in order to do that. I have kept at the least 3 ships for each tier just for that purpose (Ok, not tier 1 but all the others).:Smile_Default:

Players
17 posts
835 battles

Thanks.

So how is captain training executed? Are they so dumb that the engineers have to bash their skulls with a hammer until "forget" enough room in their tiny brains for the next ship?:cap_money:

:Smile_teethhappy:

6,234 posts
10,682 battles
Just now, BigBadBeef said:

Thanks.

So how is captain training executed? Are they so dumb that the engineers have to bash their skulls with a hammer to make room in their tiny brains for the next ship?:cap_money:

One word: Vodka! :Smile_hiding: Or "Schnapps" if we talk about German ships.

Greetings

[ONE2]
Players
3,086 posts
21,999 battles
Just now, BigBadBeef said:

Thanks.

So how is captain training executed? Are they so dumb that the engineers have to bash their skulls with a hammer to make room in their tiny brains for the next ship?:cap_money:

Short answer, Yes they are... :Smile_Default:

You can buy instant re-training with Doubloons (expensive) or use some credits and then play a few games to get him re-trained.:cap_book:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
2 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Thanks.

So how is captain training executed? Are they so dumb that the engineers have to bash their skulls with a hammer until "forget" enough room in their tiny brains for the next ship?:cap_money:

German captains are efficient. They have exactly the amount of memory needed to be proficient in commanding one specific ship with no inefficient surplus memory.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Beta Tester
229 posts
9,540 battles
14 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Short answer, Yes they are... :Smile_Default:

You can buy instant re-training with Doubloons (expensive) or use some credits and then play a few games to get him re-trained.:cap_book:

and then use the little + icon next to your commanders name and use captain exp to finish the retraining without doubloons

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,394 battles
1 hour ago, BigBadBeef said:

Hello, A simple question,

I am grinding Down the german battleships line. I am about to get... 'Ze Bismarck [Insert german national anthem here]. Annyways, I agree with the rest of the community that this is the pinnacle of the german BB tech tree, at least as far as fast, manueverable battleships are concerned.

However as I intend to keep the Bismarck, I will continue to grind down the tech tree, as I am curious about "the big sausage". I would like to plan ahead, and I am curious:
If you retrain your captain for the next ship in line, does he maintain his proficiency of the previous ship in question?

I want to know because I am hoping not to need to train a new captain for the currywurst, and those retrainings are either lengthy or expensive!

That's why keeping a roster of reserve captains is so nice. I have my Tirpitz captain retrained as my Bismarck captain, my old Bismarck captain is driving the Big Freddy and will transition into the Sausage, while my old Gneisenau captain which I trained from the Nassau up, is driving the Gneis and the Scharn. In addition I also have a Fat Albert/Bayern captain which I use when I want to play some fun games. And those are only my German BB captains...

[ONE2]
Players
3,086 posts
21,999 battles
Just now, SgtTincan said:

and then use the little + icon next to your commanders name and use captain exp to finish the retraining without doubloons

Oh yeah, forgot that one... :Smile_amazed: I usually save those to level-up captains, who are "almost there" and I just need a "leedle more" to get the next skill. Good save, thanks! :cap_like:

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts
54 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

play a few games

At a 19pt commander, it's 125.000 XP that's needed. which is a quite a few games.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,394 battles
3 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

At a 19pt commander, it's 125.000 XP that's needed. which is a quite a few games.

That's only 7 games in which you have all the extra XP flags flying, the +200% XP doubloon camo, and earn Kraken Unleashed, High Caliber, and Confederate. Ez. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts
2 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

That's only 7 games in which you have all the extra XP flags flying, the +200% XP doubloon camo, and earn Kraken Unleashed, High Caliber, and Confederate. Ez. :Smile_trollface:

Ah, the infamous "Stage 5" of the old Weekly Missions, EU style.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,394 battles
2 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Ah, the infamous "Stage 5" of the old Weekly Missions, EU style.

Win, survive, and earn a Clear Sky. 

Prerequisite: Tier X DD.

I miss the old rewards, I miss the whole event based design where we had missions based on real life battles, but I sure as hell don't miss the old Stage 5.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
3 hours ago, Aotearas said:

German captains are efficient. They have exactly the amount of memory needed to be proficient in commanding one specific ship with no inefficient surplus memory.

And Soviet captains just drink enough vodka to forget everything when they celebrate getting new ship...

French captains likely have to surrender everything before they can move to other ship.

But what do others do...

Guess for Japanese captain it would be dishonorable toward ship to also be captain of another ship.

:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,406 battles

Italian captains on the other hand, should have their transfer costs halved. They are experts in switching sides ships after all. :Smile_trollface: 

• Funny 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,062 posts
10,871 battles
7 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

Thanks.

What matters is coin for WG. 

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
8 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Win, survive, and earn a Clear Sky. 

Prerequisite: Tier X DD.

I miss the old rewards, I miss the whole event based design where we had missions based on real life battles, but I sure as hell don't miss the old Stage 5.

"Stage 5" (with capital S) sounds like 

- a form of cancer or other bad disease

- a secret (sikrit) organisation

- a secret weapon

- a mysterious serum 

:cap_haloween:

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,609 posts
20,394 battles
41 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

"Stage 5" (with capital S) sounds like 

- a form of cancer or other bad disease

- a secret (sikrit) organisation

- a secret weapon

- a mysterious serum 

:cap_haloween:

Nah, Stage 5 was like that one relative you had to endure during family celebration. Like the creepy uncle constantly throwing around with pervy remarks, but who would help you big time that one time you were in a dark spot. Or the partially deaf aunt which stank of cat urine but had a big part of her inheritance reserved for you.

Sometimes the payout for Stage 5 was really neat, like the free Mikasa I got last year in the week of my cake day, sometimes it was meh. But the requirements were out of this world a lot of times.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
30 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Nah, Stage 5 was like that one relative you had to endure during family celebration. Like the creepy uncle constantly throwing around with pervy remarks, but who would help you big time that one time you were in a dark spot. Or the partially deaf aunt which stank of cat urine but had a big part of her inheritance reserved for you.

Sometimes the payout for Stage 5 was really neat, like the free Mikasa I got last year in the week of my cake day, sometimes it was meh. But the requirements were out of this world a lot of times.

I know what Stage 5 is (was), it's just what it sounda like if one is from the oitside :D

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
5 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

What matters is coin for WG. 

The thing is if they allowed a Captain to swap to a ship they used to command and back to their current one without penalty (consider the old ship, if fully researched, to be a ghetto premium in this regard only) they would sell port slots as people would retain or re-buy ships they liked.

I don't have that many Captains as I tend to move them up the lines as I progress so I've no real reason to retain most of the older ships unless I want to level up a new Captain just for that ship.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,062 posts
10,871 battles
6 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

The thing is if they allowed a Captain to swap to a ship they used to command and back to their current one without penalty (consider the old ship, if fully researched, to be a ghetto premium in this regard only) they would sell port slots as people would retain or re-buy ships they liked.

I don't have that many Captains as I tend to move them up the lines as I progress so I've no real reason to retain most of the older ships unless I want to level up a new Captain just for that ship.

While you're right a port slot is cheaper than the gold needed to retain as you switch silver ships.  They've obviously decided they make more money this way .  Like you I suspect they've made the wrong decision.  Then again they might also sell more premium ships as well off this present policy.