You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Infiriel

Wide spread torpedoes

Do you ever use wide spread torpedoes.  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever use wide spread torpedoes.

• Yes
    • No

35 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
488 posts
8,055 battles

So.
Are there people using wide torpedo spreads?
Aren`t you afraid os battleship-sized gaps from 4km onwards?
Why you use it? (or not).

Beta Tester
1,004 posts
16,036 battles

like mentioned,  feeling out the smoke or making some blind shots to force the oponent change course.

Beta Tester
158 posts
8,409 battles

Area denial, torping smoke (if I dont see gunfire) or panic drops in close range to force my enemy to react or at least distract him.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,434 battles

If I'm really uncertain how ships will turn I'll sometimes use wide spread if there are no better targets.

Other times I might combine one tight with one wide just to get the effect of both.

Beta Tester
47 posts
14,606 battles

As above when randomly going for smoke

Also sometimes  2 wide spreads offset by half a single width  is I feel sometimes better than 2 narrows with no overlap

Also British cruisers where the wide is equivalent to a normal narrow

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,003 posts
10,815 battles

I use widespread for torping in DD close quarter knife fights.

I use widespread sometimes If the enemyship is on lowhealth and currently maneuvering

I use widepread to for area denial.

I use widespread in RN cruisers sometimes.. If I dont have enough time to launch them one by one.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Never use widespread, no. Even blind torping DDs in smoke I'd rather run the risk of torping the wrong part of the smoke screen but present the enemy DD with as little chance as possible to fit between the torps if I do happen to find him. Better that than a flat low chance to hit.

• Cool 6

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles

Yup - mainly to try and distract and/or 'herd' the target; that, and to try and goad people in smoke into moving.

Narrow spread if actually trying to kill/badly damage a solid target.

Occasionally use a pair of wide spreads (slightly offset) too, with a small delay between launches; the idea being that the target easily dodges the first set, thinks "haha! w4nker - missed me!" and then blunders into a torp from the second spread that's coming through the gap they just went through themselves. This is more to do with the first set of reasons though.

Reliable(ish) damage: narrow spread; most other reasons: *maybe* use wide spread...

• Cool 1

Players
1,910 posts
1 hour ago, Infiriel said:

So.
Are there people using wide torpedo spreads?
Aren`t you afraid os battleship-sized gaps from 4km onwards?
Why you use it? (or not).

I never use wide spreads. 

I still get battleship-sized gaps with narrow spreads, so no point making it worse imo. But i'm happy when ppl launch wides spreads at me :D

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,291 battles

Only time I use widespread is on RN cruisers because I dont feel like a mesh from the singles and would rather just dump them into the water

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

I voted no, but I'll qualify it.

I only use wide spread in very specific circumstances and rare occasions, Shima may use 2 narrow 1 wide or at suicide range on others. 

The number of times I've seen T8+ DD's using nothing but wide spreads at spotted targets 7-10 km away is enough to make me cry into my beer.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,003 posts
10,815 battles
28 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

I never use wide spreads. 

I still get battleship-sized gaps with narrow spreads, so no point making it worse imo. But i'm happy when ppl launch wides spreads at me :D

One battle I got into a close quarters fight with a Khaba in my yugumo..

totally out of my choice..

I launched 2 wide spread.. then TRB and 2 narrow spread.. he managed to dodge all of them over 5kms..

just I was about to die..

I think it was the exact same moment when he hit the enter on chat (HAHA! Noob DD) and my shell detonated him :)

• Funny 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,754 posts
12,048 battles
59 minutes ago, rvfharrier said:

Never use widespread, no. Even blind torping DDs in smoke I'd rather run the risk of torping the wrong part of the smoke screen but present the enemy DD with as little chance as possible to fit between the torps if I do happen to find him. Better that than a flat low chance to hit.

THIS. I don't really get the "wide spread into smoke" idea - sure, you can be sure that enemy DD will be in the spread... but he must REALLY screw up to not dodge that one torp that might luckily be heading into his direction. And there's even a good chance that he won't even be hit if he goes AFK (just as if you've torped the wrong part of smoke) - the gaps in wide spread are HUGE.

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles

Not using wide spread when in any of my DDs. In the past I sometimes used 2*wide then 2*tight in Mogami and Ibuki, but not anymore.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
29 minutes ago, eliastion said:

THIS. I don't really get the "wide spread into smoke" idea - sure, you can be sure that enemy DD will be in the spread... but he must REALLY screw up to not dodge that one torp that might luckily be heading into his direction. And there's even a good chance that he won't even be hit if he goes AFK (just as if you've torped the wrong part of smoke) - the gaps in wide spread are HUGE.

For me, it's not about hitting the hiding DD (in the unlikely event I do, yay, of course) as such; it's more about making him move, which will either mess up his aim and/or perhaps make him poke outside the smoke, in which case he's probably in big trouble.

This sort of thing is probably not going to work on the average forum inhabitant - they're almost all too good - but it'll work on people like me often enough to be worth a punt.

That said, I would guess that something like 90-95% of the torps I fire overall are on narrow spread (excluding RN etc ones where narrow = single)...

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,065 posts
10,888 battles

If I'mare fighting other Dds close up the fanned out spread is advantageous.  If I'm trying to sink capital ships at range then never.

[SINT]
Players
938 posts
21,206 battles

Guilty. Spray and pray sometimes hit even when played as a way to force ships to either show broadside to teammates or eat atleast one torp.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,614 posts
20,423 battles

I use it sometimes. There's nothing more hilarious than a ship blindly driving into a torp sent out as area denial.

Players
2,156 posts
4,794 battles

If you have three launchers, it can be an (surprisingly) effective strategy to fire two salvos focused and the third as a 'surprise' wide-spread to screw up your target's evasion. I've had a surprising number of sucessful hits in my Shimakaze by firing one launcher a little behind the guide, one a little bit ahead, then the third wide-spread exactly on the guide.

Having said that I wouldn't use wide spread under any other circumstances, for torping smoke I prefer narrow spread and watching which end of the smoke is spawning most recently and aim my torpedoes there, then fire the second salvo behind that. Of course, if I have legal hax RPF I just aim where the guide says.

I used wide-spread pretty much exclusively with RN CLs, until I unlocked Neptune and Minotaur. It's pretty fun to be able to surprise opponents with their torpedoes - of course don't fire all of your single-shots on the guide, you're just asking for a failure.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,369 battles

Sometimes I use widespread with RN CLs or Gallant.

Sometimes I use widespread with DDs with 3 launchers (e.g. Akatsuki or Shimakaze) when blindly torping a smokescreen (usually 2 narrows next to each other and a widespread over both).