You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JimmyJingo

AI Targeting

29 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
748 battles

What's with the ai targeting in scenarios? Some games they seem to completely ignore me, other games they focus me for the entire match and ignore even the objective ships. The way they select targets seems like they do it at random without any concern for the objective.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,094 posts
22,124 battles

Phew! So we'll be safe from Skynet for a few more years at least then.:cap_like:

sky.jpg.ed01d301a905f2d9c339a36490df6a7c.jpg

But otherwise Methinks they just automatically target the nearest ship or some such... :cap_old:

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles

Well, can't say I'm correct (I play coop not scenarios), but basically: spotted cvs (not 100% sure on that, cvs might be further down the line)>dds>cruisers>bbs. Bots seem to also take range and hp into account, maybe even angles.

But yeah, sometimes I just wonder: why aren't bots focusing on broadsiding paper cruisers that are closer to them than me and my bow on bb? Do bots use xvm or something? "Oh, this guy has nice coop stats, let's focus him first!" O_o

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,369 posts
9,371 battles
2 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Possible that they spotted you first and once "locked on" are unable to change targets?:cap_hmm:

They can fire at multiple targets at once, so that's unlikely

[WGB]
Players
198 posts
2,675 battles
1 hour ago, JimmyJingo said:

What's with the ai targeting in scenarios? Some games they seem to completely ignore me

Make the most of being ignored, make them pay for their ignorance.

Players
1,418 posts
11,061 battles

AI obviously targets softer ships (CL, DD) over heavy CA and BB. Prioritizes low HP heavily. I played several co-op games in DeGrasse trying to farm hits/ribbons and usually MM gave me T8 BBots which were really annoyingly persistent and hunted down all "homo sapiens" cruisers before even starting to defend vs battleships. Of course "homo" BB were not very "sapiens" in co-op, so it was typically down to full hp homo BB vs burned bot BB while cruisers were dead first & scoring first. 

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Took the Atlanta out for a few games and I felt that in each game I was the primary target for every bloody ship in the scenario. The final straw was being the focus for all the AI ships, doing nearly 200k damage, 8 kills and still losing. I have no idea what the non bots on my team were doing.

• Cool 1

Players
3,422 posts
16,738 battles

Another bot targeting gem that I encountered earlier this evening

When Cyclone hits and the enemy team have a carrier....

1) The carrier knows exactly where you are (even though you head for a remote place as an experiment)

2) Bots appear on an attack run no more than 3km away giving little reaction time.

3) Bot dive bombers seem unable to miss in this situation, even if you try evasive action

The other thing with the new Coop matchmaking is that carriers are so common that it's a no-brainer to fit a full AA spec to your ships.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,821 posts
18,448 battles

Afaik bots target the ships with lowest amount of health. Less ships = less guns (& torpedoes).

In this regard bots are already better than a lot of players ...

e.g. yesterday 3v2 but enemy was leading on points; time was almost up so we needed a kill to win. 40s of battle left and their 2k health Kutuzov gets detected ... I typed they needed to sink iy if we wanted to win, yet all 3 BBs kept shooting the nearly full health Gneisenau ... :Smile_facepalm:

Players
1 post
473 battles

A lot of ppl on here say they focus the nearest ship first or the one with the lowest hp and I can tell you they are both wrong.   No matter what ship I use DD, CL or BB I will get the bots attn. It makes no difference to them if I am in the front row or back row firing or not firing.  The CV will even make a beeline straight to me as well.   On most every co-op match I play, the bots salvo are almost 100% accurate.  I have been plugged sitting in smoke not firing 8-10 km away while with some players they will miss almost every shot.  And before all you slaggers get on here and talk your garbage about how good you are and others are not as good as you let me pump your veins full of chemo and see how well you play.  On my good days I play random and slaughter you potatoes and on my bad days, I stick with co-op as to try not to let the team down.  The updated bots are a bit tougher than the old ones.   WG is doing a pretty decent job with them considering it's not their main priority.  Can they be tough sometimes? Heck yeah, Are they a challenge most of the time? Most definitely but that's why we play, isn't it.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,127 posts
20,112 battles

The sad truth about bots is that they're better than a good chunk of the playerbase.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

The sad truth about bots is that they're better than a good chunk of the playerbase.

coop>pvp confirmed. A bit more focus on coop when wg?

[PFLEE]
Players
3 posts
446 battles

I'm glad it's not my imagination.  As soon as I am detected, doesn't matter how far away, every ship in range targets me and ignores the rest of the team. I would play the full match regularly but now it's been 3 or 4 days now and not a single match finished.  Destroyed in seconds.  And don't get me STARTED on the lag...

[THESO]
Players
4,198 posts

Bots have no fear .. and they dont hide behind islands or snipe at max range :)

What bugs me is even if you are not detected they know exactly where you are and shoot the same second they spot you with deadly accuracy.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

There is something definitely off on this.

I had 400k potential damage within 4 minutes of the scenario. All friendly BBs on full health, never the closest target. Literally at one point the AI DD was 4km from 2 friendly BBs and was instead shooting me, a cruiser, at 9Km. Same with the Aoba and Kuma that were near to that DD.

It's literally retarded.

• Cool 1

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles
On 07/05/2018 at 1:31 PM, nambr9 said:

Bots have no fear .. and they dont hide behind islands or snipe at max range :)

What bugs me is even if you are not detected they know exactly where you are and shoot the same second they spot you with deadly accuracy.

Same with torps. They can see your torps as you launch them and immediately maneuver to dodge them. It's so blatantly obvious that you can launch torps just to force them to immediately maneuver if they are focusing you. They do it instantly as the torps hit the water.

[THESO]
Players
4,198 posts

Atlanta in Herpes ... i mean Hermes.

So obvious.

Everyone is shooting you ... even the ones that you can not see yet :)

Thats how WG "addressed" farming in ops.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Atlanta in Herpes ... i mean Hermes.

So obvious.

Everyone is shooting you ... even the ones that you can not see yet :)

Thats how WG "addressed" farming in ops.

You mean bots in ops are now at the same level as the ones in standard coop? Oh no.... Totally unplayable, wg fix pls.

• Boring 1

[THESO]
Players
4,198 posts
21 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

You mean bots in ops are now at the same level as the ones in standard coop? Oh no.... Totally unplayable, wg fix pls.

What are you babling about? Take a chill pill.

Just for your information the change effected coop and ops in the same time.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles

Having played hundreds of scenario battles as BB, CA, CL and DD, I can  confirm that light cruisers are first targeted, then the heavy cruisers, destroyers are usually ignored unless very very close, and BBs are only targeted if there's nothing else to shoot at (either because the rest of players are sunk or not spotted).

Yesterday I finished a  game of Raptor in Warspite with 0 damage suffered (only around 30k potential) and 200k dealt.