You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Arnianor

Target Aquisition Mod vs Concealment Mod

46 comments in this topic

Players
35 posts

Hello there!

I was wondering on which ships you would prefer Target Aquisition over Concealment, and why. 

Now I know, some similar topics were written on the US forum, but those are over a year old by now, and some things changed (new lines, DWT etc).

So, what's your take?

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,038 battles

Depends mostly on the ship and how you intend to use them I guess - For BB's I have taken the Target Acquisition mod (I have IJN BB's so any hope for concealment is pretty much lost anyways, I saw no point) and for CA and DD the Concealment mod. :cap_old:

• Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

I go for concealment mod on everything.

TAM proximity spotting bonus is way too circumstancial to be of much use and the torpedo spotting bonus isn't like to help much against torps that I haven't already been evading with the sporadic use of WASD hacks.

Compared to that, the additional concealment lets me engage better on my terms, disengage when it gets too hot or overall is just too valuable not to use for some ships (DDs for example, duh). Plus the 5% max dispersion penalty bonus that kicks in every time someone shoots at me. The bonuses for that mod are just much more consistent and reliable imo.

• Cool 12

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

There's not a single ship that I'd mount the target acquisition mod onto, concealment is simply too important. The tiny handful of ships that don't have Concealment Mod 1 have got Steering Gears Mod 3 instead.

• Cool 10

[SCRUB]
Players
483 posts
8,046 battles

TAM is mostly worthless, because it`s too situational. It can be useful if you want to rush smoke, but then again if you shoot you`ll be spotted anyway. Same for spotting - generally all ships can spot as far as they can shoot or further.
And last but not least torpedo spotting is rather questionable, since it`s only really useful for IJN torps - all other have concealment so low, that if you are caught broadside against torps you are not dodging them anyway.

On the other hand concealment mod is a must-have for DDs since being outspotted is a huge deal (except maybe khaba, and other russian gunboats). Same goes for CV`s.

On cruisers i`m experimenting with rudder mod, since i find an ability to reliably dodge shells far more useful than the ability to sneak 1-1.5km closer to a cap, or disengage at slightly closer distance. Still it`s always Rudder, or Concealment.

For BB`s TAM might be of some use (especially aforementioned IJN BBs), but considering that CM still provides dispersion debuff it`s still better at increasing survivability even if you are unable to disengage due to garbage concealment. And you should never be as close to anything in a BB so that TAM`s proxy spotting is actually useful.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles

Concealment on 95 % of cases.

I used TAM on the Grosser Kurfurst when I had a full secondary build on it and was always eager to push first line.

But concealment is better for me  in general, even for the example above.

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,038 battles
19 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

For BB`s TAM might be of some use (especially aforementioned IJN BBs), but considering that CM still provides dispersion debuff it`s still better at increasing survivability even if you are unable to disengage due to garbage concealment. And you should never be as close to anything in a BB so that TAM`s proxy spotting is actually useful.

Yeah, I guess you are right. WG has not at all considered and balanced the upgrade trade-offs it seems. The only case in which TAM might be a viable alternative to Concealment would be, if it actually nullified the +5% dispersion bonus Concealment gives to the targeted ship. This would be a fair trade-off and perhaps mean that the player would have several (or even just 2) viable alternatives to choose from instead of always choosing Concealment by default for every single ship (THAT IS BOORIING), as is the case right now.(there doesn't seem to be any "Real" choice is there?).:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
938 posts
21,204 battles

Maybe WG should buff TAM in such a way that it becomes a viable option against Concealment (or rudder). As it stands now TAM remains the inferior option. As stated before even BB (that cannot equip the rudder module) with very bad CE stats equip CE because of the additional dispersion bonus. A bonus that, by the way, was added to the concealment module in a more recent buff makint CE an even better option.

I am not sure how a buff to TAM could be both good enough to be competetive with the other options and not be game breaking.

Maybe double the TAM bonus to assured detection to 4KM (only usefull for smokes since no dd has less then 4km spotting range) and larger detecion of torps? Althoug this will make dd’s torps irrelevant and DW tops no longer assured suc6. 

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

I tried out the Target Acquisition Mod for a few weeks on my secondary built Tirpitz, found it pretty much useless.

I have no ships without the Concealment Mod (not a Khaba player, maybe it's pointless on that, I'm not qualified to say) which I find a shame as it's a lack of flexibility that the game could use.  

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Concealment on everything, it's not even a competition between those 2. It's like having Usain Bolt vs some fat guy on a 100m sprint

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,038 battles
2 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I tried out the Target Acquisition Mod for a few weeks on my secondary built Tirpitz, found it pretty much useless.

I have no ships without the Concealment Mod (not a Khaba player, maybe it's pointless on that, I'm not qualified to say) which I find a shame as it's a lack of flexibility that the game could use.  

Yeah, i agree. It's kinda like the "Situational Awareness" captain skill was long before (gives "Detected" warning, when you have been spotted). Everyone had to take it on everything so it became meaningless and is now automatically given to everyone.:cap_yes:

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

I have no use for this module either. If your concealment is bad it's worth buffing (and you get better returns on the %). If your concealment is good it's worth maxing. On some cruisers, rudder mod for troll dodging times.

I think some BBs maybe can use TAM if you really hate torps. Alone it's "meh" but it stacks with Vigilance so maybe like that it's worth it? But a high tier module slot and 3 captain points is a steep price to pay just to get away with being a bit lazy with WASD...

Yeah, TAM could use a buff to be an option people would actually want. It would actually be perfect if sight range was overall reduced, I never understood why we can see further than we can shoot.

Dispersion reduction to stack with the other module that does that (or let you take something else) would be pretty good too. In the spirit of the mod, maybe it could buff your radar range as well. That would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Players
3,279 posts
19,066 battles
1 hour ago, Arnianor said:

Hello there!

I was wondering on which ships you would prefer Target Aquisition over Concealment, and why. 

Now I know, some similar topics were written on the US forum, but those are over a year old by now, and some things changed (new lines, DWT etc).

So, what's your take?

Concealment mod for every ship.

Players
4,503 posts
7,604 battles
29 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

WG has not at all considered and balanced the upgrade trade-offs it seems

IIRC TAM was a kind of first attempt to combat "torpedo soup", but the spread of radar and other changes have made it pretty much redundant.

• Cool 1

Players
161 posts
9,012 battles

Using Concealment Modification on every ship except Mogami and Khabarovsk at the moment (have Steering Gears Mod 3 on them).

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Because everyone uses Concealment mod, you're pretty much forced to take it too.

WG likely intended for TAM to be for BBs but stealth Battleships are the norm until they nerf the concealment builds they can equip.

• Cool 1

Players
2,597 posts
12,958 battles
2 hours ago, Fubucky said:

Using Concealment Modification on every ship except Mogami and Khabarovsk at the moment (have Steering Gears Mod 3 on them).

I've kept concealment on mogami, as it is more a question of turning circle (and the size of the citadel) with that ship - if you aren't already quite angled, I doubt you'll be evading a lot.

I too have the steering gears 3 on khaba (though not a fan of the ship) & on the hinden on my alt account (hint by @Sander93 if I'm not mistaken), since the concealment stays quite garbage with the module anyway...

Everything else is concealment, cause as @Negativvv suggests, it's not really an option not to if everyone else does it. Never experimented with TAM.

(I still have fond memories of running into that kagero with TAM in the last ranked while in my lo yang. Never had I been so confused when hardspotted in smoke :D)

[SERBS]
Players
480 posts
14,742 battles

concealment module on all ships , dd, cl,bb,cv.  it also affects shell dispersion and helps to take less damage.

[ARYA]
Players
597 posts
15,596 battles

most of people are using Concealment so if you are not (even in IJN BBs) they can outspot you and finish ...

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
243 posts
7,528 battles

Concealment mod in almost every ship that has access to it... And those that don't have it are using steering gears mod. 3.

So yeah, don't use TAM on any ship.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

The last straw for me was using my then brand new GK without the Concealment Module or the Captain Concealment Expert.

If you spawn badly such as on the far west side of North you are simply dead from the start. You can't get into cover and people pretty much spot you from spawn so you get focused to hell as there's no other targets available.

I waited until a free respec then I used the ship again...

Also Concealment saves T8 BB from pain and helps them survive when bottom tier. As BBs are low volume of salvos with a high alpha they are ideally suited to slipping into stealth between shots whereas Cruisers need to fire constantly to hope to get out respectable damage unless they get lucky with fires. Which leads me back to the Cruiser issue: Why bother playing them when BBs are simply more effective for equally skilled players? There's even a selection of BBs that out spot their same tier Cruisers (or come so close it's not worth even playing hide and seek with them). How is it balanced when say a North Carolina can potentially kill the same tier Cruisers in one salvo but they need to HE spam for something like a few solid minutes of sustained fire?

I was going to suggest the game is inherently unbalanced but I don't think it's true. Tweaks would fix a lot of the class issues.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles

Concealment over TAM everytime for me, as many pointed out TAM it too situational, it isnt worth 4points (for me at least) :Smile_honoring: