You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

What is wrong with some DD Captains??

47 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
1,161 posts
20,886 battles

Played a game in my Fiji this morning, we had a Pan Asian DD on our side who constantly targeted opposition DD’s with his torps, now we all know ( well obviously not all of us) that you can not kill a DD With DEEP WATER torpedoes.

I sent at least 4 chat jessages to him that he was wasting his time firing them at opposing DD’s and he should target the New Mexico that was bearing down on our base, but no, he decided that once I had killed the DD he would ignore the New Mex and sail off towards there base leaving me to deal with the New Mex, managed to get 2 torps of my own into it and save our base from being taken but died in the process, but this gave our team mates to capture there base.

And just to rub salt into it, he got me a chat ban??, ( I did call him stupid and an idiot after his 4th lot of torps where fired at DD’s, but that was all)

• Funny 8

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Lel, when you use PA DDs and target other DD you even get a message that says something like YOU CANNOT TARGET THIS SHIP...

That guy must have been extra dense :cap_book:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

Players
985 posts
21,149 battles

Happens very often, that PanAsian DDs torping Smokes with DDs in it.  2 possibilitys: they do not know their torps or think, thats they are CLs in the smoke. 

[CATS]
Players
27,241 posts
14,525 battles

You play the game long enough to know that some players are "special". That has nothing to do with DDs.

• Cool 3

Players
2,305 posts

As a Yeuyang captain I have in the heat of battle fired against a DD then aloud gone "You damn Muppet" because I had for a second forgotten I am loaded with DWT. However, occasionally because they have a good range on them, I have hit other ships and claimed the odd kill. Someone doing it repeatedly though needs taking aside and clonking on the head until the knowledge that DWT's do not kill enemy DD's penetrates what must be a very thick cranium...:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Same thing that's wrong with a whole bunch of BBs / CAs / CVs aswell - they are potatoes

In this specific situation I'd guess that the reasoning is pretty simple - "me drop torp on he, he see torp, he not now torp cant hit he, he panic, he leve fog, he run a way!" (I don't think I can make that sound any stupider)

• Funny 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

Having said that, I have been on the receiving end of a set of torps that I thought came from a PA DD, thinking to myself, "lol, what a nub", ignored them, only to find that they hadn't come from the PA DD that I knew was there..... haven't ignored them since.

So yes, they can be used as a distraction to ships that they cannot hit.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,753 posts
12,048 battles
7 minutes ago, philjd said:

Having said that, I have been on the receiving end of a set of torps that I thought came from a PA DD, thinking to myself, "lol, what a nub", ignored them, only to find that they hadn't come from the PA DD that I knew was there..... haven't ignored them since.

So yes, they can be used as a distraction to ships that they cannot hit.

They are marked differently, though. Even though now they trigger the torpp alarm, they're still shown with circular markers rather than standard torp arrows if they can't hit you.

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

They are marked differently, though. Even though now they trigger the torpp alarm, they're still shown with circular markers rather than standard torp arrows if they can't hit you.

Useful, thank you. I mustn't have been on the receiving end enough to notice the difference in marker.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
3 minutes ago, philjd said:

Useful, thank you. I mustn't have been on the receiving end enough to notice the difference in marker.

Basically markers go like this:

• Round (dot) -> DWTs that can't hit you
  • Triangle -> normal torps
  • Triangle with a line above it -> DWTs that can hit you

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Basically markers go like this:

• Round (dot) -> DWTs that can't hit you
  • Triangle -> normal torps
  • Triangle with a line above it -> DWTs that can hit you

WG at it's finest - why not just have a different marker for torps that can't hit you..... (I am a great believer in the 'keep it as simple as possible' principle).

[TOXIC]
Players
4,753 posts
12,048 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

WG at it's finest - why not just have a different marker for torps that can't hit you..... (I am a great believer in the 'keep it as simple as possible' principle).

Well, admittedly - that information can be important. If there's a friendly DD (or a wreck of a DD) in the way of the torps, it might be important to know if the ship/wreck will "itercept them" or not. Imagine the whine threads along the lines of "I saw enemy torps, tried to hide behind a wreck and they just sailed under and hit me anyway"...

[XFS]
Players
206 posts
17,295 battles

They should take away all the markers, in real life there is no way of telling (yes I know this is only a game) I did actually know about the deep water torps a lot do not, but didn't actually know about the markers  

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

You don't need to specify "DD captains".

There's plenty players out there where I genuinely wonder how they even managed to install the game, no matter what ship class they're in.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,428 posts
8,346 battles

Will quote a Pan Asian DD player I had a month ago on my team (sadly)

"What's wrong with my torpedoes!? They are going under enemy ships!!!"

Lost the faith in humanity

• Funny 3

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
3 hours ago, Cyclops_ said:

...targeted opposition DD’s with his torps...

I have done this intentionally in a close knife fight, throw DW torps out there, and have gotten lucky... the other DD player flinches: a little pause, hesitation, as small turn.  Subconscious reaction after so many years of playing.  It might be a cheap tactic, but there are so many DD players better than me... I will take the edge.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Well, admittedly - that information can be important. If there's a friendly DD (or a wreck of a DD) in the way of the torps, it might be important to know if the ship/wreck will "itercept them" or not. Imagine the whine threads along the lines of "I saw enemy torps, tried to hide behind a wreck and they just sailed under and hit me anyway"...

I understand the principle of what you are saying, but that would suggest that a wrecked DD stays on the surface of the water and doesn't sink below it.... (which for ingame practical purposes I guess is what happens).

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,063 posts
10,875 battles

Played a game in my Fiji this morning, we had a Pan Asian DD on our side who constantly targeted opposition DD’s with his torps, now we all know ( well obviously not all of us) that you can not kill a DD With DEEP WATER torpedoes.

I sent at least 4 chat jessages to him that he was wasting his time firing them at opposing DD’s and he should target the New Mexico that was bearing down on our base, but no, he decided that once I had killed the DD he would ignore the New Mex and sail off towards there base leaving me to deal with the New Mex, managed to get 2 torps of my own into it and save our base from being taken but died in the process, but this gave our team mates to capture there base.

And just to rub salt into it, he got me a chat ban??, ( I did call him stupid and an idiot after his 4th lot of torps where fired at DD’s, but that was all)

Probably got you banned for using the wrong homophone of "their."

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,287 posts
3,683 battles

Colour me surprised... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 2

Players
7,144 posts
245 battles

Too bad wargaming doesnt include a section in their tutorial to teach players things like that and also redo the markers so that you know what is what.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,791 posts
14,064 battles
35 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Subconscious reaction after so many years of playing.  

In my case, even after only a few months (most of them with DWT in the game), I have a conditioned reflex to react to torps almost regardless; this makes lobbing DWTs at me, even when I'm in a DD, potentially useful as a distraction.

That said, it doesn't usually work twice (and sometimes not even once, if I already know the only DD nearby can't hit me), so the OP's experience of multiple salvos being fired at DDs does sound remarkably dim, even for a potato such as myself!

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

In my case, even after only a few months (most of them with DWT in the game), I have a conditioned reflex to react to torps almost regardless; this makes lobbing DWTs at me, even when I'm in a DD, potentially useful as a distraction.

That said, it doesn't usually work twice (and sometimes not even once, if I already know the only DD nearby can't hit me), so the OP's experience of multiple salvos being fired at DDs does sound remarkably dim, even for a potato such as myself!

I still freak when DW are fired behind me by my own team... bad past experiences.   

As for the DD in the OPs post...:Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

Players
203 posts
4,569 battles
47 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Will quote a Pan Asian DD player I had a month ago on my team (sadly)

"What's wrong with my torpedoes!? They are going under enemy ships!!!"

Lost the faith in humanity

He, he, yea sometimes you get amazed. Had a game where I was capping enemy base, tugged in behind a little low island in the dge of base focused by two cruisers a BB and a DD (i was last one left so what the heck. Suddenly I realise a Pan A DD have sneaked up on me from behind. Oh noooo, me thinks I'm a gonna, whereupon he proceeded to torp me from point blank range - not bothering to fire those good gun even once at me. I was like Whaaat?? and was actually so dumbfounded I did not even shot him as he gladly sailed past, not having made a dent in me...

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,692 posts
23,819 battles

It's all about knowledge.

And thanks to WG average player know WSAD and mouse only. Sad reality.

I wish to know how some players are using captains skills. When you can found india - delta flag on IJN DD or you see example like the one in this topic. Meh.