Sign in to follow this  
Kro_Tar

BBs and Other Questions

8 comments in this topic

[GKXS]
Players
6 posts
2,969 battles

First of all; Hello Forum! its my first time i write here, i'am playing for near 1 year now, as you can see in my profile i dont have so much battles because i spend most of my time in cooperative, only in the last time i started with  casual battles (i played the season only to see how it is).

I tryed Cruisers, DD and BBs, and im feeling that BBs role is what i like, but sometimes, when i play im feeling im not doing the right thing, im not in the right place. 

I keep looking guides and gameplays about BB, and always they seem to be in the right place. 

So..

I have to play more, more and more near 1000 battles to completely understand how to position myself? 

I have to shot to an enemy (if broadside) always even if i know that i get spotted and punished? 

Is better to wait that enemies are near 10 km or is ok to fire at max range? 

I try to move alot, bow-on, getting my broadside hidden, and sometimes i try to stop and reverse staying bow-on, keeping bow-on and going 1/4, then reverse again, if a bb is going bow-in versus me, i take aim on another ship, sometimes Cruisers, and if i can i go for DDs.

The main question is, what im doing wrong? is there any tips or trick that can help? maybe something i cannot see? 

Thank you in advance for who will answer me, and i'am sorry for my english, i have to improve my language too :cap_book:

[CATS]
Players
27,372 posts
14,548 battles

It all depends on what Tiers and ships you play.

Some general guidelines:

• stay with the team
  • Change course and speed regularly when enemy DD are nearby
  • support the caps your team attacks
  • Stay defensive in standard battles
  • Use islands for cover when you have to turn and show broadside, plan your course in advance to be able to do that

[GKXS]
Players
6 posts
2,969 battles

Hello ColonelPete, at the moment im playing the tier 5 japanese BB, and Tier 8 Roma, tirpiz and Alabama, first to learn, second to save up exp to unlock the yamato. 

Sometimes i try to push in when i feel is the right thing to do, and this 50% works, and 50% not work, so i have to learn more when i have to push and when not.

Stay Defensive: Sometimes i do it, but im feeling that im only camping and i hate it.

Thank you again for the tips, i will try to do all of them while playing! 

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
48 minutes ago, Kro_Tar said:

I have to play more, more and more near 1000 battles to completely understand how to position myself? 

I have to shot to an enemy (if broadside) always even if i know that i get spotted and punished? 

Is better to wait that enemies are near 10 km or is ok to fire at max range? 

(..)

The main question is, what im doing wrong? is there any tips or trick that can help? maybe something i cannot see? 

All of those would probably be answered if you actually played your way up instead of throwing your wallet at the screen and starting to play tier 8 with literally no previous experience :fish_palm:

Yes, you need to play more to get better. Positioning is a case-by-case thing, generalizations would be so vague they wouldn't help anything. You can drop some of your replays here if you want them analyzed by others - that's a better way of asking "what should I have different there"

With a BB you sometimes need to be a bit patient with your shots, it's not a cruiser or DD where you get a fresh shot off every few seconds. At the same time There's no reason to hold your fire if there's a good target to shoot at. You have 30s after each shot to find a target and get ready to fire at it, that's often plenty of time. And if you are broadside - just start turning to angle, vary your speed

If you have the shot - just take it. Closer range shots simply have better dispersion than long range shots. At the same time intentionally sitting at max range makes you pretty useless

As for the last one - again, that's where replays would come in.

8 minutes ago, Kro_Tar said:

at the moment im playing the tier 5 japanese BB, and Tier 8 Roma, tirpiz and Alabama, first to learn, second to save up exp to unlock the yamato. 

Tier 10 isn't a magical "I'm allpowerful & unstopable now!!!" zone, grind your way towards it instead of failing at tier 8 enough times that you can FreeXP your way up to tier 10 where you can fail even more. Use FreeXP to unlock modules if you can't stand the ship stock, don't skip the ship itself.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,362 posts
9,361 battles

DO NOT use premium ships to skip an entire line to tier 10. This is the worst possible thing you can do.

You need to learn how to play at each tier and most lines cannot compare to each other. If you for example keep playing your roma and tirpitz and then use that xp to unlock a Yamato, with the only other IJN BB being a kongo, you'll be in a world of hurt.

Neither kongo nor your 2 premium tier VIII BBs can really compare with japanese tier 9 or tier 10.

What I suggest you do is use that free xp you save up to upgrade the ships, while you play standard line ships to unlock the next one.

ninja'd by @wilkatis_LV

What you have to watch out for is that IJN battleships aren't really meant for pushing. They are arguably the hardest BB line to master , especially if you have no experience in playing high tier ships in randoms, so keep that in mind.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GKXS]
Players
6 posts
2,969 battles

Thank you very much for your answers, you made me realize that skip a whole line to get to Tier 10, it's the worst thing and I do not even have to think about it.
So, I will gather your advice and concentrate on playing the line and learning the ships well.

55 minutes ago, domen3 said:

What I suggest you do is use that free xp you save up to upgrade the ships, while you play standard line ships to unlock the next one

I will do it for sure, because I want to become a good player and not the player "who skips lines up to tier 10"

59 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Tier 10 isn't a magical "I'm allpowerful & unstopable now!!!"

After playing the Yamato in the public test server, I was falling into this trap, so I thank you because with this sentence you made me feel like a "child" who aims to have the ship of tier 10 without knowing how to play.

Thank you again because you managed to make me understand my completely wrong approach to the game, I will change, and I will focus more on the real game, instead of launching my wallet to have a ship that I am not yet able to play. I will focus on Kongo and use the accumulated experience only to unlock the modules and do the same with the other ships.

• Cool 4

Players
2,393 posts
20,812 battles

Positioning is the most important and most difficult factor in BB game play. It takes longer than even learning to aim well. You need to be patient and think several steps ahead.

Watch lots of Flamu videos on Youtube, like this one:

Or this one:

Regarding if / when to shoot an enemy, you need to weigh the possible penalties against the benefits, all the while bearing in mind the overall objective of winning the game, and possible minor objectives you decided to pursue earlier in order to achieve the overall objective. Put more simply:  when in doubt, ask yourself questions like "What am I trying to do here? What will the target do when I open fire? Or even other enemies that I maybe don't even see yet? How likely is that to ruin my plan?"

Which of course presupposes that you have a plan in the first place.

Any plan is better than no plan at all.

Most of us do have a sort-of plan most of the time but it's usually a half-baked one. So it can help to just spell it out for yourself. Just say out loud why you are doing what you are doing.

Or better yet, get Aslains mod pack, enable replays, watch your replays and reflect on your plans and decisions while watching. "At this point, I did X to achieve Y. But instead, Z happened and I was screwed. I should have done A much earlier, at point B in time, instead of bitching at my team mates in chat."

Like that.

If you're squarely bow-in, you can get citadelled through the bow armor, which is not angled in that position. Keyword overmatch mechanic. So better to at least have a slight angle at all times.

Players
55 posts
4,133 battles

I would recommend all ship types at least to Tier 5-6. DDs BBs Cruisers and even Carriers. They all teach you different things. Some things might be more important for your class (BB) some less, but all of them are important. Playing DD you will learn value of concealment. Playing cruisers you will learn how to shoot from behind island and when you want to shoot or stay in concealment. BB teach you how to angle. So really you have to play them all. I think focusing on one line and one type of ship will hurt your learning. You will be doing wrong things not seeing options just because you didn't play ships that require you to play differently.

heh I play USN cruisers... Phoenix/Omaha teach you how wiggle if you can to evade shots, Cleveland teaches you how to shoot from behind island and stay cloacked, Pensacola teaches you value of concealment (when you want to fire and become visible and when not)

Sign in to follow this