Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
USSARIZONA_2015

Star Wars Tech Vs Arpeggio of Blue Steel Tech

10 comments in this topic

Players
49 posts
7,207 battles

Hey There Fellas,

Before any of you ask why I'm asking this, I am currently writing a story, and I am stuck at a problem. since Normal Ships cannot harm arpeggio Ships without using a vibration warhead, I was going to implement the Imperial I Class Star Destroyer as a way of countering the Fleet of fog, but would It work? can a Star Destroyer's weapons Break through an Arpeggio ships force field, or a "Klein Field" ? Or maybe better stated, Can a Star Destroyers Tech overcome Arpeggio Tech?

Thanks for any Info! 

Until Next Post,

USSARIZONA_2015

PS,

I'm an Idiot for asking this :S

Players
445 posts
4,044 battles

Hmmm, from what I understand the apparent invincibility of the Fog ships comes from their Klein field. If it is hit with enough energy, it can't redirect it and collapses, leaving the hull unshielded. One of the reasons that Humanity couldn't defeat the Fog was that naval guns, torpedoes and missiles don't have enough oomph (for want of a better word :-P) to make the Klein field collapse. Meanwhile, corrosive torpedoes and the almighty super-graviton cannons can deliver enough energy. 

Basically, if you have a cannon big enough (probably a laser cannon), you could get through the Klein field and begin to damage the hull.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,424 battles
On 11-3-2018 at 9:20 AM, USSARIZONA_2015 said:

Hey There Fellas,

Before any of you ask why I'm asking this, I am currently writing a story, and I am stuck at a problem. since Normal Ships cannot harm arpeggio Ships without using a vibration warhead, I was going to implement the Imperial I Class Star Destroyer as a way of countering the Fleet of fog, but would It work? can a Star Destroyer's weapons Break through an Arpeggio ships force field, or a "Klein Field" ? Or maybe better stated, Can a Star Destroyers Tech overcome Arpeggio Tech?

Thanks for any Info! 

Until Next Post,

USSARIZONA_2015

PS,

I'm an Idiot for asking this :S

Well firstly, a star destroyer is a capital space dreadnaught... Comparing one to say, Takao... Well, it's a different league.

Takao is a heavy cruiser the size of, well, a Takao-class heavy cruiser.

Quoting Wikipedia:

Displacement:
  • 9,850 t (9,690 long tons) (standard)
  • 15,490 t (15,250 long tons) (full load)
Length:
  • 192.5 m (632 ft)
  • 203.76 m (668.5 ft) overall
Beam:
  • 19 m (62 ft)
  • 20.4 m (67 ft)
Draft:
  • 6.11 m (20.0 ft)
  • 6.32 m (20.7 ft)

Quoting the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

1,600 m

Further more, a star destroyer is capable of space travel... As far as I know no ARP ship can even levitate. They can submerge, but if I recall correctly so can a Star Destroyer.

Star Destroyers were known to commit planetary bombardment... though, through datamined stats (http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-WeaponRange-Wars.html) it seems that their effective firing range at such a target would be around  75 kilometers.

Now, if we simply disregard all the tactical advantages, and were to place Takao infront of a Star Destroyer, and asked both to fire at each other the outcome is fairly obvious to me.

" Turbolaser firepower easily exceeds 6700 terajoules per shot, even from medium-sized cannons (the heavy batteries must have much more firepower). "

I was unable to find any direct numbers for the destructive power of SGCs from ARP, but, I can't exactly think of a way that any energy based weaponry the size of the SGCs in ARP could trump the firepower of an ISDs Turbo Laser Batteries. And considering that Takao was effectively disabled after a near-miss from a SGC during episode 2, AND that ARP ships had to open their Klein Field to even use this weapon once, I believe an ISD could easily penetrate Takao's defenses at nearly any range.

TL;DR:

The only thing going for an ARP ship would be their speed, as we saw the Millenium Falcon evade ISD fire during the Meteor Field Escape. If I were Takao, I would definetly consider becoming a submarine and sitting VERY quietly in some ocean-trench for a while... and hope that the Empire hasnt figured out how to pick up Active Nano-material signatures.

Oh fine fine, they do have one other trick I guess.

Spoiler

arpeggio-of-blue-steel-takao-gif.gif.d972497275bcc142879aea6d51025065.gif

Takao could always seduce Darth-Vader... Now THAT'd be an interesting story

• Funny 1

Players
19 posts
1,573 battles

So, this then brings us to the question of self guiding weapons like the proton torpedoes that, for example, the X-Wing can employ. Would they already be enough to punch through the shielding? With this you wouldn't even need an ISD and I believe the TIE Bombers should also be able to carry proton torpedoes.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,424 battles
1 hour ago, Schnittertm said:

So, this then brings us to the question of self guiding weapons like the proton torpedoes that, for example, the X-Wing can employ. Would they already be enough to punch through the shielding? With this you wouldn't even need an ISD and I believe the TIE Bombers should also be able to carry proton torpedoes.

That's a harder question; IIRC The main use of small fighter aircraft against enemy capital ships was to get inside the main shields and then attack the weaker hull-shielding. In what way this is compareable to ARP Klein Fields is beyond me, though.

Looking for a ship of similair dimensions of Takao I found the CR90 Corvette to be similair. These corvette-class ships were effectively oversized fighters. Their main purpose in fleet-engagements was the destruction of enemy fighters and bombers, targets the larger ships were incapable of reliably hitting. If Takao were compared to these corvettes in a similair way, and we assume that her Klein Field is a few notches stronger, I think that she would be a match for a fair number of X-wings or Y-wings... Say, 25? It ofcourse depends on her ability to reliably shoot them down. ARP ships seem to have full control of all their historical armament (as seen in the ARP movie where Iona uses her AA gun to combat incoming torpedoes), and I believe that rapid-firing lasers would be able to easily destroyer X or Y wings, as well as Tie Fighters.

Problems arise when we consider that even Takao relies on electronics, she herself BEING an AI after all. And as seen in the Rogue One movie, Y-wings equipped with Ion-torpedoes can disable even Star Destroyers.

https://vlipsy.com/vlip/rogue-one-ion-torpedoes-away-GpZ8gNXO

So, it's definetly one of those 'war-luck' battles. If Takao makes a mistake, she could see herself lose complete combat capabilities to a single similair strike. On the other hand, if she manages to maintain an effective barrage, she should be able to fend of most attacks. If this were the case, we would be looking at operation Ten-Go scenarios of hundreds of planes attacking a larger ship.

Other interesting points could be the lesser-seen weapons from the ARP series... Kirishima is seen to use some form of EMP using her float-plane-crane to destroy incoming small rockets during the Yokosuka port-battle. Perhaps a similair device could be used against fighters?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,357 posts
11,171 battles
3 hours ago, gekkehenkie50 said:

I'd be more interested in Darth Vader with Berserk Kongou :cap_hmm:

5c2546eec918dfd5ff96d57b3492e58b5283c3a0

• Funny 1

Players
445 posts
4,044 battles
14 hours ago, lup3s said:

I'd be more interested in Darth Vader with Berserk Kongou :cap_hmm:

5c2546eec918dfd5ff96d57b3492e58b5283c3a0

Now that Berserk mode Kongo even looked like the Death Star, and if it had been controlled by a cool and level-headed mental model it would have easily beaten Iona. I wonder if it would fare better than Takao against star destroyers?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,357 posts
11,171 battles
2 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Now that Berserk mode Kongo even looked like the Death Star, and if it had been controlled by a cool and level-headed mental model it would have easily beaten Iona. I wonder if it would fare better than Takao against star destroyers?

Takao would just seduce everyone everything :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
5,201 posts
8,071 battles

I might remember wrong, but it was hinted tactical nuclear bombs were ineffective against Fog ships. And then there is Mirror-Ring defense system available on highest ranking ships (Yamato, Musashi and Hiei), which is capable of redirecting any attack against vessel, though that require manual operation

Also klein field of Arpeggio boats vary considerably between ships, usually the bigger, more powerful boat the more abuse it can withstand.

Players
49 posts
7,207 battles
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, gekkehenkie50 said:

just why....  >_< 

Sign in to follow this