You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Boris_MNE

DOLPHINS LULZ

1st april  

74 members have voted

1. 1. 1st April joke?

• Yes
    • No

25 comments in this topic

1,548 posts
10,142 battles

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/have-a-flip/

History of Combat Dolphins

The use of combat dolphins is a historically confirmed fact, but few people know that simultaneous attempts to create small autonomous underwater vehicles in the form of dolphins were made.

e1b4f386-208a-11e8-8b78-ac162d8bc1e4_1200x.jpg

It is a known fact that, during World War II, Italy succeeded in employing a group of underwater carriers for transporting combat swimmers with an explosive charge. It was reported that a small autonomous vehicle, known as "Delfino Delphis" in the documents of the main naval headquarters, was designed on a secret base of the Italian naval special forces in the estuary of the Serchio river, not far from Pisa, starting from 1940.

The design of the vehicle was based on the results of research conducted in the 1920s–1930s by Guglielmo Marconi, a famous inventor and president of the Royal Academy of Italy, on his own yacht that served as a laboratory. After Italy surrendered in 1943, all project documents and the group of engineers were captured by a German special forces unit SS-Sonderverband z. b. V. "Friedenthal" and moved to the north of the country. There, on Lake Garda, in the area that remained under Mussolini's control, the work on the vehicle continued until the end of the war.

In-Game Model

When developing the dolphin model, we approached the task as we would any normal ship. We gathered a large number of photos and blueprints and took full-scale measurements in dolphinariums. Our "dolphins" are equipped with the most advanced technologies, allowing for high speed and manoeuvrability. A dolphin with an armament of two torpedoes can even compete with a destroyer.

e585c8ea-208b-11e8-8d1f-ac162d8bc1e4_1200x.jpg
9d99d8aa-208b-11e8-809f-ac162d8bc1e4_1200x.jpg

Dolphin Carrier

Dolphin carriers were designed on the basis of small landing craft. Dolphin vehicles were to be launched into the water through an airlock in the upgraded ship's ramp. The powerful Marconi radio equipment provided long-range remote control over the combat vehicles and required an extensive antenna system on board. In World of Warships, "dolphins" will launch from the fore end of a dolphin carrier. Players will be able to choose a dolphin carrier and send their "dolphins" to different parts of the map on a wide range of missions, be it reconnaissance, sabotage, or friendly ship protection by deflecting enemy torpedoes.

1da19ab0-208c-11e8-85b0-ac162d8bc1e4_1200x.jpg

Sound

We tried to put as much life as possible into our "dolphins" using sounds. What is a dolphin without its typical "laughter"?!

The sound that dolphins make to communicate is a unique phenomenon built on a combination of sound impulses and ultrasound. We spent a long time with real dolphins and consulted lead cetologists (whale experts). As a result, we managed to record more than a hundred hours of their speech for an authentic in-game atmosphere.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[BOTS]
Beta Tester
207 posts
7,201 battles

I will give credit where credit is due they have put a lot of effort into this, guessing this will be the April "fools" event if they are going through this much effort.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,637 posts
8,549 battles

April Fools content being used to try out a potential new class of ships? :cap_hmm:

I remember back when I suggested adding support ships that could control several smaller vessels like torpedo boats and even corvettes or frigates.

Should be interesting to see how they play when actually added to the game.

• Cool 1

[G-S-W]
Beta Tester
146 posts
7,565 battles

A little early for April 1st.

edit: if you watch the video you can also see the spaceships from 2 years ago.

I wonder if thats the first live test for "new aircraft carriers" :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,060 posts
6,109 battles
1 minute ago, Nechrom said:

April Fools content being used to try out a potential new class of ships? :cap_hmm:

I remember back when I suggested adding support ships that could control several smaller vessels like torpedo boats and even corvettes or frigates.

That was my thinking. The halloween events were the precursor to operations mode

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
427 posts
31 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Agree that April Fools.

Also agree that should be interesting, made a suggestion on the news post comments (which was downvoted within two minutes) that Dolphins might work against island-camping. Top speed surfaced of 16 knots and submerged of 8 knots would make it hard for them to engage moving targets, but stay behind an island too long and it could be painful.

Players
3,064 posts
13,729 battles

I don't see why we shouldn't have combat dolphins.

After all, when (if) Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers are added to the game there will be Swordfish bombers!  :Smile_hiding:

Oh the Huge manatee!  (Bonus point of you get the jokey reference)

[HEAT]
[HEAT]
Players
1,108 posts
31,816 battles

I think it's an April's fool ship class but i was excited when I saw they will introduce combat dolphins to the game. If WG is serious about putting them into the game then balancing them will be the key.

Beta Tester
110 posts
20,798 battles

Why can't they put this much effort into fixing the blooming laggy server that forces a client restart every 5-6 games due to stuttering, I'm all for having a bit of fun and previous April fools stuff has been good but really put your efforts into fixing something that is clearly broken and makes the game experience bad for a lot of people

Players
466 posts
5,039 battles

For anyone to not vote Yes here, it's beyond me... Lol

Guys, think scale of the model. They would be the size of a torpedo. With that detail in something that small the game would stutter even more than it does now. :cap_book:

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,733 posts
9,234 battles

WAIT JUST A SECOND.

WHAT'S THIS?
jl1c2e.jpg

Clearly offensive and unacceptable.
Anyone in this day and age using the word "midget" is retarded ! (lul)

Spoiler

This post is a mockery of another thread, for anyone confused.

• Funny 3

[XODUS]
Players
791 posts
4,741 battles

Well

At least we know who humanity is fighting

IN SPACE

Beta Tester
2,446 posts
3,342 battles

Obvious joke is obvious, don't even see the porpoise of that poll (pun intended)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,359 posts
11,200 battles

16kts - 8kts submerged :Smile_trollface:

1,548 posts
10,142 battles

I just realised something...

Even if that is just event, and if i take to grind it.... and it be fairly quckly because I  play lots of CVs....

I will get half milion FREE EXP after it is refunded when they take it back. Seems ez profit to me. PLS be an event.