You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Aigle marathon, how's your progress been so far?

129 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,770 battles

I bought it on release day, and after 10 or so games got used to it. Very powerful if played as a cruiser rather than a DD, because it's not the best at knife fighting unless you can get a few good volleys in without reply.

Overall it's a 'different' ship with a very different playstyle to any other dds, and rewards patience and aim.

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
6,980 battles

Monday, probably

[BBMMX]
Players
1,024 posts
5,103 battles

Got it earlier today after one battle in the Algérie that netted the remaining half of the required damaged modules - gotta love that French HE and BBs with plenty of AA guns. :Smile_playing:

The only mission I felt stressed about completing was the 4 torpedo hits and a win but that's more because I have a habit of chasing a mission rather than simply focusing on having a good battle. Didn't have many issues with the so-many main battery hits missions because I have an Atlanta and Akizuki.

Speaking for myself, I think this campaign was pitched at just the right level. I didn't need to play for 12 hours at a time to complete anything and had the option to skip missions with the 18/26 set-up. Obviously it helped that I have enough ships to tackle whatever mission came up but if I hadn't, I would only have completed the missions I could complete for the mission rewards.

First impressions of the Aigle are that it's great for a free ship! The guns are fun, I'm using Main Battery Modification 2 to speed up the traverse and the 5-second reload is still perfectly usable. Haven't hit anything with the torps yet but I'm using the 6-point captain so no CE and from what I've read, it's not going to make much difference anyway. I gave him DE and I'm beginning to think maybe BFT would be a better choice for the first 3 points to make the most of the DPM as it doesn't seem to start an excessive amount of fires that would warrant choosing DE first.

[L4GG]
Players
2,652 posts
9,794 battles
8 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

finished it, played the Aigle once and instantly regretted every single millisecond that marathon made me spend extra on WoWs. Dear Lord that thing is a tragedy... got to be one of, if not the least fun ship I have ever played, including Stock Amagi of old, original Pensacola, T22... Aigle is worse than all of those combined.

Impossible, worst than the Turd, pfff I don't believe you. Ahahahahah

errr. almost finishing the 7 th mission.

but I'm occupied with other things

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
19,089 battles
10 hours ago, MrFingers said:

So, how is that set of missions going for you lot?

Managed to finish it today.

The part with the 4 torpedo hits and a win proved to be a bit complicated, as I managed only either four torp hits OR a win for about eight games. Until I managed a 15 torpedo hit, 120 damage done win in my Minekaze.

The it was a couple more battles for the other mission, which I finished today.

So.. over all... might be a bit hard for players who only play a couple battles every day...

Edit: Oh yeah... impressions of the Aigle...

Well...

It's not really a DD, is it? Turns like a BB, good AA, fast guns... seems to me more like a british cruiser without a citadel. Not too bad, but probably hard to play for some players not used to the british cruiser playstyle.

I wouldn't try to cap in it, even if I got paid for it though.

[ARYA]
Players
592 posts
15,226 battles
8 hours ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

Had to skip the aircraft mission. There were simply no planes to shoot down and I won't play carrier just to complete it.

I did it in two random battles with Cleveland 

[DAVY]
Players
2,543 posts
12,713 battles

i finished the last two yesterday morning, it took 3 battles, one in the Kamikaze (torp hits/win) and 2 in the conq (100 modules)

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles

Finished the Marathon on friday, have had my doubts for the "do 70k and win" and the "150 main battery hits and win".

First random battle:

Shes great for Standart Battles but in Domination Mode i still try to figure her out... That Cruiser detection range is horrible but the torpedos hit like a truck.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,024 posts
5,103 battles
35 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Edit: Oh yeah... impressions of the Aigle...

Well...

It's not really a DD, is it? Turns like a BB, good AA, fast guns... seems to me more like a british cruiser without a citadel.

Good AA? Which Aigle did you get?! Mine has an AA rating of 8! :Smile_amazed:

Haven't played a battle with a CV yet but having sat in smoke while burning down a Bismarck, I'm still very pleased with it. Did well in chasing down and finishing off a Leningrad that was on low hp too, it's a pretty good anti-DD ship while not being so fat that BB AP still over-pens. I'm already sold on the CAs, this DD has won my respect and if the BBs turn out to be decent ships, I may become a complete Francophile!

• Funny 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
9 hours ago, Nechrom said:

Come on now! You serious?! :cap_wander_2:

for me personally, yes. Played two battles in the thing (to get the 600k credits campaign mission), and I'm pretty damn sure i will never touch that thing again. Will keep it in port because selling premiums is dumb, but... I can't imagine ever wanting to take it into a battle. Ever.

YMMV of course, just because i hate her doesn't mean anyone else will...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
19,089 battles
9 minutes ago, Strappster said:

Good AA? Which Aigle did you get?! Mine has an AA rating of 8! :Smile_amazed:

Well, at least she HAS a rating of 8 at T6. Compared to many other DDs at that tier that is much, right? :Smile_hiding:

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,559 posts
25,298 battles

After finishing this weekend missions I'm two short of 18. I doubt that I will be able to do next one, 1.75k base XP but one after that shouldn't be a problem. After that I would just need one out of last six.

[CWOWA]
Players
12 posts
16,022 battles

Jesus Christ, how can you bring such garbage into the game. I know its free but that is not an excuse to produce yet another premium that nobody is going play as soon as the campaign missions are done. If you had copied any other T6 DD like you did with Makarov it would have been better. More then just disappointing. 

• Cool 1

[BBMMX]
Players
1,024 posts
5,103 battles
22 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Well, at least she HAS a rating of 8 at T6. Compared to many other DDs at that tier that is much, right? :Smile_hiding:

It's the same AA as a stock Gnevny (which gets 14 with the B hull), a stock Fubuki has 15 and that's the next-worst I can find right now. It's only better than the Gallant (2) which is delivered by a crew member standing on deck throwing rocks at enemy planes.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
19,089 battles
2 minutes ago, Strappster said:

It's the same AA as a stock Gnevny (which gets 14 with the B hull), a stock Fubuki has 15 and that's the next-worst I can find right now. It's only better than the Gallant (2) which is delivered by a crew member standing on deck throwing rocks at enemy planes.

Thanks... that comes from always having my AA disabled on DDs except when playing my Sims. :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 hour ago, Bublon13 said:

Jesus Christ, how can you bring such garbage into the game. I know its free but that is not an excuse to produce yet another premium that nobody is going play as soon as the campaign missions are done. If you had copied any other T6 DD like you did with Makarov it would have been better. More then just disappointing. 

If she hadn't that Cruiser-ish concealment she would be unbalanced. But I don't know it that 10 more meters in comparison to the 1934 class of the germans (Gaede) justify 400 meters of concealment...

In Domination the ship feels a bit useless.

If Wargaming stays by these "Large Destroyers" this could be the Tier VIII https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogador-class_destroyer

~138 meters long... :cap_fainting:

Players
9,321 posts
10,955 battles
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

If she hadn't that Cruiser-ish concealment she would be unbalanced. But I don't know it that 10 more meters in comparison to the 1934 class of the germans (Gaede) justify 400 meters of concealment...

If Wargaming stays by these "Large Destroyers" this could be the Tier VIII https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogador-class_destroyer

Tashkent and Khabarovsk are +-139m long. 8 guns of hard hitting 139mm/50, which should fix long range performance of these guns.

1322277979335.jpg

• Cool 1

[CWOWA]
Players
12 posts
16,022 battles
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

Don't know...

Not a knife-fighter with that gun placement and abysmal turret traverse, oh and did I mention that turning circle?

Surely not a sniper with 700 m/s

With better (much better) concealment one at least could argue: torpedo-boat. But even then I would prefer Gaede even though I'm not a fan of German DDs.

IMHO: just broken 

[KAKE]
Players
2,418 posts
5,535 battles

17/26 so far. There was one task I didn't have time to do (I think it was the "win and finish top three" one).

I don't know if I'll bother to try for the 1750 xp, though. I could possibly manage it with a fair bit of luck. I've been above 2k a few times. But I don't know if it's worth the hassle.

The 150 main battery hits I did in the Fiji. When it comes to farming main battery hits and/or ribbons, few things can beat Royal Navy cruisers. Maybe some of the US ships with the 5" guns, if you can manage the shell arcs of those.