You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TerryCox

"Retarded"

133 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
1,372 posts
14,964 battles

I have to confess to not liking insults on line - I am pleased to say that I am rarely insulted but if I am, I don't take offense, but my opinion of the abuser is usually diminished. The same goes for people abusing others. I also think that the constant use of 'bad language' shows a lack of imagination; I quite like watching Flamu and Flambass on youtube but the constant swearing does become a tad boring.

• Cool 1

[TAYTO]
Players
756 posts
7,877 battles

A current "offensive" term we could use for the OP would be to call him snowflake.
I'm not sure how this would offend a snowflake, but it quite irritates some people.

Those irritated will claim to be offended, but that then asks the question "how has being offended affected your life?"

No one has ever died from being offended. Nor will they have suffered monetary loss. So, what's the point of being offended?

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,860 posts
9,421 battles

I'm much more annoyed by how some people don't understand how language works and evolves over time. The entire purpose of swearing and insults in language is to pick up powerful negative words. Certain words are used precisely because they still cause some negative reaction in people.

The only way to move on is to not start topics like these over what random people say and write on the internet.

If your point was to not use vulgar language and insults in-game at all, then fair enough. That's an opinion you can have.

But singling out trigger words only helps those words grow in power, which makes them even better for the purpose that they are used in modern language.

For instance, my mother has cancer and I still use the word as negative weight in other circumstances because that's how language works and using the word out of context does not diminish what she or my family has gone through.

• Cool 2

Players
1,243 posts
9,175 battles

Alas, it's a simple generational difference. Those who spent their formative years outside the Internet develop a simple instict: behave like a [edited], and you'll get a bloody nose. A lot of the younger people are "smart" enough to know that "hey it's the Internet".

Nowdays if you try to suggest maybe we should treat others with respect, all you'll get back is a bunch of rationalization and alt-right buzzwords (already going on strong on this thread).

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,860 posts
9,421 battles
14 minutes ago, jss78 said:

Alas, it's a simple generational difference. Those who spent their formative years outside the Internet develop a simple instict: behave like a [edited], and you'll get a bloody nose. A lot of the younger people are "smart" enough to know that "hey it's the Internet".

Nowdays if you try to suggest maybe we should treat others with respect, all you'll get back is a bunch of rationalization and alt-right buzzwords (already going on strong on this thread).

888.jpg

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
3,504 posts
14,541 battles
14 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

Can I just point out the irony that no one here would actually go up to a mentally handicapped person and call them [edited], thus nullifying the "hate speech" accusation.

Well, "mentally handicapped" is as outdated as "retarded" - "learning disabilities" is the current phrase. People certainly would - and do - bully people with disabilities and it's not a good idea to encourage or trivialise these actions by letting outdated terms like this become casual insults. 

13 hours ago, Turin7 said:

Again with the political correctness? You must be new here. And by here I mean the Internet. The risk of offending and being offended is an integral part of free speech and freedom of expression, if you cannot handle that, that's your problem.

The funny thing about the internet is that everyone assumes that it's the USA, and that there is some constitutional right to freedom of expression or speech. Clue: there isn't. Terms and Conditions apply. :)

• Bad 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,860 posts
9,421 battles
13 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Well, "mentally handicapped" is as outdated as "retarded" - "learning disabilities" is the current phrase. People certainly would - and do - bully people with disabilities and it's not a good idea to encourage or trivialise these actions by letting outdated terms like this become casual insults. 

Using words out of context does not trivialize actual bullying and abuse. The intent and context is what matters.

If words end up becoming more popular in a different context from their original one, then it is the new usage of these words which becomes normalized.

22 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

The funny thing about the internet is that everyone assumes that it's the USA, and that there is some constitutional right to freedom of expression or speech. Clue: there isn't. Terms and Conditions apply. :)

Except you'll find that the EU and most democratic countries have similar conventions when it comes to freedom of expression.

Private platforms such as this forum are of course at the mercy of its owner, just like in the US.

Freedom of Expression can of course be overridden by other laws when it comes to various situations where it intersect with other people's rights.

But as for insulting someone or using language they disapprove of, you're pretty much in the clear as long as you don't wander into defamation or racial/religious persecution territories.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
46 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

You know NOTHING about law.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
1,222 posts
6,492 battles

Growing a thick skin might not be the answer OP was hoping for, but you won't stop people from insulting anyway. I admit I do it myself also, too often for my liking. 

I've been insulted based on my job, religion and political views, but I just tried to ignore it. I suggest to do the same on the internet. If it really bothers you, you can always mute users.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,260 posts
6,980 battles

It's internet, not expecting a lot. Never did actually and don't care.

Players
5,976 posts
10,885 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, Aotearas said:

No sh*t Sherlock ...

Anything used as an insult will always be offensive and insensitive, that's the entire point about insulting.

You and others aren't going to get insulted by someone in a sensitive, inoffensive way.

People know it's unappropriate and that is EXACTLY why they use it as an insult.

I wish people would simply stop drawing lines about what kind of insult were unacceptable or not, because quite frankly the idea that some insults are more offensive than others is incredibly flawed. Insult is insult and the intent behind it is to offend, period. Exactly how much it offends is the recipient's choice and has precious little to do with one term being arbitrarily more insensitive than another.

How about just stopping insulting people at all? The game is perfectly playable without needing to insult people, even if they are idiots.

Whenever I see another idiot, I hardly ever mention this unless there is some tactical advantage to it. But still, I'd say this is an actual good reason to keep enabling the chat ban report thingy, even though the execution of that idea has its flaws. I'm perfectly fine with these people venting ingame against a chatwall so nobody else is bothered by the spam :Smile_great:

I think most people (even the ones like me who are barely above average) have experienced more then one battle in which they get called a retard and kept getting chatspammed by someone who is actually an idiot himself (along with a team result page mirroring this verdict).

On 3/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, Exocet6951 said:

Now for the fun part.

Define "attack"
I absolutely want you to try to compare an actual systematic discrimination of a group of people to someone saying "you're retarded" in anger on the internet.
Because that's totally not downright insulting to people actually victims of discrimination.

PS:

There, it may be a comedy show, but it's on point

I'm offended that you called me an animal.
You have to stop that at once because it's hate speech towards me: a person which doesn't identify as an animal.

If you dare to look down upon my comment, then you're being a massive hypocrite.

The purpose of an attack is to damage the other.

It gets more messy if someone gets attacked without there being a good reason for it (like for instance when someone had a rough day and is venting ingame by harrasing other players who have nothing to do with the reasons why he's venting in the first place).

If you damage other players while this damage is unwarranted and uncalled for, you damage the actual playerbase and thus the game itself. The one doing the attacks may not feel like this is the case, but it obviously is.

The fact that the attacker is often insensitive is to me not a good reason to protect the attacker from getting (for instance) chatbanned, as the flaw is with the attacker in this case.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:02 PM, cro_pwr said:

Welcome to the internet.

Hi! I'm Nothing! :Smile_great:

Btw, what's cro power?

On 3/10/2018 at 1:17 PM, Robber_Baron said:

Growing a thick skin might not be the answer OP was hoping for, but you won't stop people from insulting anyway. I admit I do it myself also, too often for my liking. 

I've been insulted based on my job, religion and political views, but I just tried to ignore it. I suggest to do the same on the internet. If it really bothers you, you can always mute users.

Not everyone can grow more insensitive. It's selfish to think that everyone is like you yourself are (which isn't the "you" that is referring to Robber_Baron btw), because this is not the case.

What has helped me much better is to realise that these people mostly are intactical unbrightlings, they just throw out the verbal mess to anyone who...happens to get in front of them while they boil over.

In Dutch there is a saying amongst little kids: "You are what you say I am". It's true :Smile_great:

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles
12 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

The purpose of an attack is to damage the other.

It gets more messy if someone gets attacked without there being a good reason for it (like for instance when someone had a rough day and is venting ingame by harrasing other players who have nothing to do with the reasons why he's venting in the first place).

If you damage other players while this damage is unwarranted and uncalled for, you damage the actual playerbase and thus the game itself. The one doing the attacks may not feel like this is the case, but it obviously is.

The fact that the attacker is often insensitive is to me not a good reason to protect the attacker from getting (for instance) chatbanned, as the flaw is with the attacker in this case.

TL;DR:

"I don't want human beings to be mean to each other any more"
That's all fair and good, but that's not going to change.

The discussion the OP brought forward isn't if you chatban the person being mean, but if you go as far as to villify the person for using a specific word rather than another.

In his case, it's a word he dislikes because it's related to his line of work.

It's not the attack of insulting. It's the act of making people who use a certain word look like (in his own words) people with no moral fiber and who are full of hate.

So what?

It's insensitive. So what?

Language evolves. 
What's now common phrasing with no notion of insensitivity was decades ago phrasing that could have been considered mean, as demonstrated by my example of the words "crazy", "lame" and "dumb", which originally refer to mental and physical handicaps.
I'm dead ****ing serious that you're a massive hypocrite if you take offense to the word "retard", but have ever used "dumb" or "crazy".

I'll let that sink in for a while.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

How about just stopping insulting people at all? The game is perfectly playable without needing to insult people, even if they are idiots.

Whenever I see another idiot, I hardly ever mention this unless there is some tactical advantage to it. But still, I'd say this is an actual good reason to keep enabling the chat ban report thingy, even though the execution of that idea has its flaws. I'm perfectly fine with these people venting ingame against a chatwall so nobody else is bothered by the spam :Smile_great:

I think most people (even the ones like me who are barely above average) have experienced more then one battle in which they get called a retard and kept getting chatspammed by someone who is actually an idiot himself (along with a team result page mirroring this verdict).

Optimally yeah, people simply shouldn't be jerkasses. That should go without saying.

I just find the idea that some insults are worse than others ludicrous. Saying some insults are unacceptable and asking for less offensive insults is just so mindnumbingly naive ... nevermind that if we employ reverse logic, having unacceptable insults also means there's acceptable insults. Where would one draw the line?

OP doesn't like the term "retard" as insult. I can empathize. He's free to not like it and by all means he's also welcome to ask people politely not to use it. But anything more than that is just trying to create a personal safespace. And when he asked for funny insults he entered hypocrisy territory, because who's to say that whatever OP thinks is a funny insult isn't something that someone else thinks is just as inappropriate as OP thinks about "retard" ...

And quite frankly, that kind arrogance of trying to judge an insult worse than others combined with such willfull ignorance about the subjective feelings of others and what they think is more offensive (or not) is something that I find incredibly inappropriate.

[QTAZ]
Players
465 posts
5,923 battles

23 hours ago, TerryCox said:

The use of the word "retard" and it's related forms  in chat is beyond belief, not helped by the fact that many Youtubers use it frequently in their videos . As someone who worked for a Cerebral palsy charity for seven years, I assure it is both offensive and insensitive. Now I know some of the negative replies I'll get from people who have no experience with disabilities, the totally ignorant and those who are just mean spirited. I don't expect it to stop, there will always be horrendous abuse in online gaming,  I'd just like to raise awareness to the fact the use of this word is not acceptable and hope people can be considerate of the gamers who no doubt live with the effects of disabilities.

Stop being so sensitive and easily offended. The world is a mean place, if you can't handle few slurs in a video game, well... just man up and stop starting funny forum crusades. This is a warfare game, lad.

[R3B3L]
Players
808 posts
23 hours ago, TerryCox said:

I'd just like to raise awareness to

... the fact that we are a community built around the machinery of war. Or so.

We say to kill someone when we just mean to sink his virtual ship and we call others retarded when we are just unhappy with his combat-performance. Which is not nice, sure, but it hurts no one and is part of online-gaming.

• Cool 2

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

In Dutch there is a saying amongst little kids: "You are what you say I am". It's true :Smile_great:

Is true, can confirm. So

Xnm50VE.jpg

pls no bulli

• Cool 1

Players
5,976 posts
10,885 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 4:46 PM, Exocet6951 said:

TL;DR:

"I don't want human beings to be mean to each other any more"

Lets not go into this direction, shall we.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:20 PM, Aotearas said:

Optimally yeah, people simply shouldn't be jerkasses. That should go without saying.

I just find the idea that some insults are worse than others ludicrous. Saying some insults are unacceptable and asking for less offensive insults is just so mindnumbingly naive ... nevermind that if we employ reverse logic, having unacceptable insults also means there's acceptable insults. Where would one draw the line?

OP doesn't like the term "retard" as insult. I can empathize. He's free to not like it and by all means he's also welcome to ask people politely not to use it. But anything more than that is just trying to create a personal safespace. And when he asked for funny insults he entered hypocrisy territory, because who's to say that whatever OP thinks is a funny insult isn't something that someone else thinks is just as inappropriate as OP thinks about "retard" ...

And quite frankly, that kind arrogance of trying to judge an insult worse than others combined with such willfull ignorance about the subjective feelings of others and what they think is more offensive (or not) is something that I find incredibly inappropriate.

My thought is that if these people are actually less sensitive anyway, then giving them prolonged chat bans won't be as bad as well. These people are less sensitive overall, right? So just have people be able to report them (which is largely already possible and kinda works blah blah) and the more insinsitive poeple can type into their chat ban wall all day and everybody will be happy! :Smile_great:

I don't really mind too much the term retard, but some other terms are really just stupid. Being stupid is not a crime in itself (obviously), but someone else already mentioned an important point in that the humna being is a social animal of some sorts.

And why nitpick about what the OP thinks about some word? I don't get what he does wrong. I mean you say what he supposedly did wrong, but I just don't see it.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, orzel286 said:

Is true, can confirm. So

Hide contents

Xnm50VE.jpg

pls no bulli

I don't really get it.

I do however get the kind of people who do this kinds of stuff and it's part of the problem. Blaming others for their own stupidity (and finding reasons to do so).

Bullying is a whole other matter, but is part of how this problem presents itself.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
10 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

And why nitpick about what the OP thinks about some word? I don't get what he does wrong. I mean you say what he supposedly did wrong, but I just don't see it.

And inadvertedly you've just proven my point.

Different people dislike different things with different intensity. There is no single objectively bad, worse or worst insult. It's all in the eye of the beholder. The only thing that stays objectively the exact same is the intent behind an insult, whether someone uses one slur or another makes no difference in that regard. And no amount of "be nice to me" is going to change the fact that someone being abusive is just that, abusive. The exact words being thrown around are nothing more than a formality.

Players
5,976 posts
10,885 battles
47 minutes ago, drmajga said:

... the fact that we are a community built around the machinery of war. Or so.

We say to kill someone when we just mean to sink his virtual ship and we call others retarded when we are just unhappy with his combat-performance. Which is not nice, sure, but it hurts no one and is part of online-gaming.

Wouldn't very few people who play online games which include ending other digital lives not understand the concept behind it being a game?

But it also mostly depends on the context of the situation (including the person saying this).

I'm not sure what your point is though, what you way seems pretty much obvious to anyone here?

Players
4,367 posts
16,858 battles

I feel insulted by the fact that someone dares to forbid me using words like retard.

Where is your god now?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
5,976 posts
10,885 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, Aotearas said:

And inadvertedly you've just proven my point.

Different people dislike different things with different intensity. There is no single objectively bad, worse or worst insult. It's all in the eye of the beholder. The only thing that stays objectively the exact same is the intent behind an insult, whether someone uses one slur or another makes no difference in that regard. And no amount of "be nice to me" is going to change the fact that someone being abusive is just that, abusive. The exact words being thrown around are nothing more than a formality.

Well of course there is stuff that's ibjectively bad, worse or worst when it comes to insulting. But it's not as simple as designating one word some set amount of butthurtpoints as (which we actually obviously agree upon) context is also important.

People who think they have some sort of right to throw verbal insults my way do damage the game (even if the attacks they throw at others wouldn't damage themselves, that's totally irrelevant here) as this game is about having fun.

BVesides, the solution is purrfect! Just chatban these people after (repeated) offenses and/or attacks so they can keep typing and ENTERing all the chat abuse they like all day long! (WIN!) and everybody else can play the game without these kinds of people fauling up the chat area for them (WIN!).

There's really no reason to take these people seriously, as they cannot behave seriously. Venting out some kind of frustration, do that by shooting digital shells not digital verbal abuse. This is about warships slinging heavy metal to each other and most people are not waiting to log in just to arrive in some ocean-wallpapered chatroom to see their gameplay be annoyed by these sorry people.

There, everybody happy :Smile_great:

On 3/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, 44smok said:

I feel insulted by the fact that someone dares to forbid me using words like retard.

Where is your god now?

But you can! Except that with a chatban noone will see you type it. Problem solved! :Smile_great:

[QTAZ]
Players
465 posts
5,923 battles
7 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

But you can! Except that with a chatban noone will see you type it. Problem solved! :Smile_great:

I often feel that people who would like to "chatban" others on the web or in vidya, are seriously troubled by being unable to do the same in real life. [edited] won't stop being [edited], because you forbid other people to call them [edited]. :cap_haloween: