You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TerryCox

"Retarded"

133 comments in this topic

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Offence is taken, not given. The fact that I might use words that you might not like is not my fault. There is a profanity filter, if you don't like certain letter combinations, then switch that on so you can't see it anymore.

The reason why I oppose this censorship is because I oppose ALL censorship. I am a strong proponent of free speech. And while I do not agree with what you say, because it goes against my moral fiber of free speech, I will defend your right to say it. So in this case I will defend the use of 'mean' words.

• Cool 3

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Whilst I was mainly referring to the actual original post, I think you're over-reacting somewhat to the the 'lacking moral fibre' bit further down the thread (as assume that's what provoked your ire?).

I don't read that as "all of person a's morals are superior to all of person b's", but rather a suggestion that continuing to use the word in question is suggestive of a certain moral failing; that's hardly an attack on someone's entire ethical framework. But that's just me.

Personally, I suspect that in a few years, all of these kids chucking around 'retard' as an insult will look back and cringe, in much the same way as I do, when I think of some of the terminology I used as a kid myself.

There is, of course, one other huge reason this word gets used as an insult: WG's profanity filter doesn't know to look for it yet! If most of my available insults were thus rendered unavailable, I might be tempted to use what was available...

No,I'm absolutely not overreacting.

This person judged my morals based on one word. 
He can't [edited] his way out of that by saying that it's open to interpretation.

"Those who continue to use the word I would consider 1. totally ignorant of it's meaning. or 2. So full of self loathing and hate they don't care."
"but anyone with a degree of moral fibre would avoid such terms."

Go ahead, find the misinterpretation in that. 
It's written black on white. If you don't agree that the word shouldn't be used, then you're full of self-loathing and hate, and you have no degree of moral fibre.

I frankly don't give a single **** what you find offensive or not.
You're allowed to say something I find offensive, and I'm allowed to get upset over it.
But the second you judge that I have no sense of morality based on it is the same moment I put you in the same category of religious nuts who look down upon me because I had premarital sex.
Because it's the exactly the same thing. One common act you feel is amoral, and you judge someone as such because they do that. Same [edited]logic.

• Cool 1

Players
509 posts
11,130 battles

Retard = Stupid Mother%$"% 

I'll keep using the word when I feel it's warented, if that offends anyone then go look up what Stephen Fry had to say on the subject of you being offended and then work out how much I care

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles

The question I would ask is: why do people feel it is necessary to use 'retard', which is generally agreed to be a slur, when 'f*ckwit" (say) also does a similar job admirably, whilst not being one?

Personally, I find it is splendidly possible to be enormously rude to people, without having to use slurs; it simply requires a modicum of imagination.

The key downside of that approach, of course, is that it often takes rather longer to type...

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts

Tw@t, c0ck and kn0bhead are generally as far as I go in game and that isn't very often at all and mostly over TS to Millhammer (or myself) when he/I c0ck up in a division. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Players
100 posts

The thing about it is the use of terms like retard, moron or even mentally challenged say more about the person using them, be it in anger or to trying and make a point than anything else.While it may not paint a complete picture of that person it does reveal much about them in those situations. Since insults are decisive in nature they person spewing them will have little to show for his efforts except continued frustration. The thought that a different form of communication might lead to better results is never considered, because in most cases the better results are not desired.

If these people want to be taken seriously they need to change the tone and wording of their statements, if they are fine with tossing out insults to briefly stem the tide of their frustrations then they do not need to change. The choice is theirs.

hate truck.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
37 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

But the second you judge that I have no sense of morality based on it is the same moment I put you in the same category of religious nuts who look down upon me because I had premarital sex.
Because it's the exactly the same thing. One common act you feel is amoral, and you judge someone as such because they do that. Same [edited]logic.

when i read this i remember one documentary...

i recommend not looking for sane persons and those below 18 years.. and all those who want to keep faith in humanity

Spoiler

this warning is for a reason

Spoiler

but seriously

Spoiler

i warned you enough, if you still want to watch it it is on you

Spoiler

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles

You know your argument holds no water at all when you're using your own subjective views on what's acceptable or not to use as an insult.

Also, if anyone of you self-righteous people ever used a term like "crazy", then I want you to know that you're denigrating the diseased and sickly.
Because that's the origin of the word "crazy".

Or using the word "dumb", originally used to describe the mute. So if you tell me the (current day very moderate) "You are dumb", according to you, you're literally using a word that denigrates handicapped people.

So apparently using those terms is not ok at all.
Language apparently has no business evolving, with all the linguistic faux-pas that comes along with that.

I'm dead serious though, you're MASSIVE hypocrites if you keep using "crazy", "dumb", "lame" or any of the very tame words we currently use everyday.

Players
2,529 posts
12,550 battles
5 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

You know your argument holds no water at all when you're using your own subjective views on what's acceptable or not to use as an insult.

Also, if anyone of you self-righteous people ever used a term like "crazy", then I want you to know that you're denigrating the diseased and sickly.
Because that's the origin of the word "crazy".

Or using the word "dumb", originally used to describe the mute. So if you tell me the (current day very moderate) "You are dumb", according to you, you're literally using a word that denigrates handicapped people.

So apparently using those terms is not ok at all.
Language apparently has no business evolving, with all the linguistic faux-pas that comes along with that.

I'm dead serious though, you're MASSIVE hypocrites if you keep using "crazy", "dumb", "lame" or any of the very tame words we currently use everyday.

"Idiot" or "moron" have quite innocent origins :Smile-_tongue:

[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
23 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

There's a better reason to avoid those words: they make you sound <shudder> American...

We're British, dammit - we have access to perhaps the world's finest selection of profanity, without having to use slurs!

• Cool 2

Players
6,325 posts
245 battles

Idiot means someone with an iq below 21 and is just beyond stupid, yet is used soo many times its almost worthless as an insult.

might even be a time where we use combo of shakespearean insults along with modern words in the future (whatever they maybe).

im pretty sure people only insult others out of anger rage and/or frustration, and rarely actually mean what they say.

i hope xD

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,028 posts

It's mindboggling how some of you defend your "right to insult". As if such a thing existed.

Here is an insult for you...

Everyone who is defending insults in one form or another as acceptable: Get your minds checked by a professional, please.

I sure hope your social behavior in the real world is better then what you show here.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
16 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Here is an insult for you...

Everyone who is using mlp pics in one form or another: Get your minds checked by a professional, please.

I sure hope your social behavior in the real world is better then what you show here.

ftfy

Also @Verblonde *coughcough* SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT you dislike 'muricans? Some would say that's

dun

Dun

DUN

RAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!!!!!111111111111

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
3 hours ago, TerryCox said:

I fully expected people to condone it's use and give me PC/liberal bashing, the fact of the matter is it's hate speech.

Well, claiming that using "retard" as an insult is "hate speech" just shot your whole credibility down.

Hate speech is a serious matter. It's a serious problem. AND it's a problem that's made worse by people like you who call EVERYTHING hate speech.

In fact, calling this "hate speech" is very much like calling someone a "retard" because he did something stupid. You (and other people like you) using the term "hate speech" the way you just did inflates said term. It makes "hate speech" essentially meaningless. Normally "hate speech" would be a serious issue, something that - literally - is a misdemeanor or worse in many countries. But when people like you throw the term around left and right? At some point calling something "hate speech" just has no effect.

If such silly things get labeled as "hate speech" then we need a new term for things that are actual hate speech and should be treated seriously (as unacceptable or even punishable). Because, let's face it: by the way you seem to define (or at least use) the term "hate speech"...  some 90% people use hate speech on regular basis. And if someone is used on regular basis by 90% of people, then it's ridiculous to claim that it's "unacceptable". It could be unsightly, insensitive, distasteful - but if almost everyone does it then it's, by definition, acceptable.

Therefore - as someone actually concerned about things like hate speech - I implore you to not lump together actual hate speech and the commonly use hyperbole of calling someone a "retard" to emphasize how stupid they (or some statement or action of theirs) is. Would it be better/nicer/more sensitive to avoid saying such things, even as an insult? Sure. But calling it "hate speech" is not only ridiculous but also harmful and insulting towards people/groups who really do find themselves on the receiving end of actual hate speech.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
11 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

ftfy

Also @Verblonde *coughcough* SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT you dislike 'muricans? Some would say that's

dun

Dun

DUN

RAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!!!!!111111111111

Not at all; I just don't want to sound like one...

Also, the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that Americans are not a race.

Players
202 posts
16,832 battles
47 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

[...]We're British, dammit[...]

Nope

48 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

[...]we have access to perhaps the world's finest selection of profanity, without having to use slurs![...]

Nope

• Cool 2

[_DIB_]
Players
164 posts
12,830 battles

Food for thought: What game are we playing? Oh ja, World of warships and in the Navy what are they called( Yes say it out loud) "SEAMAN"! One could be but hurt about that also, as it sounds like zwemmen tadpoles.

I been called plenty of things in my life time, specially military training. Yes, retarded ook. Ja, there has been times when I have had a DA moment, CRS, Or even a senior moment (now), but the responses to these moments or any other time doesn't make me want to post a whine section.

I am no saint either, I give it as I do also receive it back.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Not at all; I just don't want to sound like one...

SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT you don't like people who speak differently? You insensitive bastard, off to gulag for re-education you go!

Also, the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that Americans are not a race.

SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT 'muricans are not people? THAT'S RACIST!

I'm just using the same rhetoric as the pc crowd. And the "SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT" from the Jordan Peterson vs Cathy "my career is a meme now" Newman debate.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
7 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT you don't like people who speak differently? You insensitive bastard, off to gulag for re-education you go!

SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT 'muricans are not people? THAT'S RACIST!

Reveal hidden contents

I'm just using the same rhetoric as the pc crowd. And the "SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT" from the Jordan Peterson vs Cathy "my career is a meme now" Newman debate.

<chuckle>

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

good point OP. As a matter of fact I've always failed to see what any disability or disease has to do with a video game.

sure: call me the most lousy bad incompetent player of planet Earth. But wishing me diseases of disabilities? I don't understand. As a matter of fact I know players with diseases and/ or disabilities are active in wows. And I admire their drive and motivation to play as good as they can. With all the passion possible.

not to condone anything though. It is the internet. And fact is people tempt to project their own incompetence and self hatred towards others. It has made me grow hair on my teeth and making me take the choice not to give a FF about comments like that.

still highly appreciate your thread. +1 from me.

• Cool 4

[LEGIO]
Players
623 posts
9,256 battles
6 hours ago, T0byJug said:

I hope you get Cancer. any one that has seen it would not wish it on anyone..  

Yes that comment sucks when you have struggled with that crap so long :( Some say "grow thicker skin" when someone says that it´s a very bad comment. Maybe. But cancer is truly a hell. So thanks all who think such comments are low. A guy(small punk) wished me cancer once. ;y anwer was something like this" thank you mate, i wish you chemotherapy 2-3 times/week" His answer was just a simple FU. LOL. 

• Cool 2

[ASEET]
[ASEET]
Alpha Tester
278 posts
16,731 battles
3 hours ago, Turin7 said:

Again with the political correctness? You must be new here. And by here I mean the Internet. The risk of offending and being offended is an integral part of free speech and freedom of expression, if you cannot handle that, that's your problem.

3 hours ago, stewie533 said:

Offence is taken, not given. The fact that I might use words that you might not like is not my fault. There is a profanity filter, if you don't like certain letter combinations, then switch that on so you can't see it anymore.

The reason why I oppose this censorship is because I oppose ALL censorship. I am a strong proponent of free speech. And while I do not agree with what you say, because it goes against my moral fiber of free speech, I will defend your right to say it. So in this case I will defend the use of 'mean' words.

I just don't understand this mentality of "It's internet, just take it". Internet doesn't mean everyone should just spawn any bile they want.

Everyone doesn't need to be offence avoidant (as there will always be someone who gets offended no matter what you say), but there still should be some kind of manners and politeness. Sure free speech gives people right to have bad manners and be unpolite, but then they should carry their responsibilities and do not hide behind "it's internet, it's your problem" excuses. If someone acts in bad manners it is ok to call him out for that. Then it's up for that person to either apologize and change their behavior or just accept that people see them as rude and insensitive.

If people want to be rude and offend someone, sure they have right to do that, but they should not pretend that it is ok and normal because this is internet. How people behave when there is no, or only slight, consequences for them on their behavior tells much about their personality. And certainly they should not get themselves offended if someone then judges them on their (bad) manners.

Even if someone needs to be rude and offensive (for what ever reason) it should be done in skilled manner and not just throwing out what ever comes in mind offending people that were not meant to be offended or using words he is not actually meaning (like most of "cancer" and "retard" comments are used). This is same as with swear words where many use them without knowing what the words actually mean and not thinking what they are saying. If there is need to be intentionally offensive (or swear) then at least it should be done in proper manner and take responsibility on what is said. 

• Cool 4