Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TerryCox

"Retarded"

133 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Players
62 posts
18,017 battles

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender.

 

Now there are way to insult people which does not invoke "hate speech" Though I expected these kind of responses, the level of ignorance by some of you is beyond belief.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NAVOC]
Players
721 posts
6 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender.

 

So for example, someone attacking a group of people for using words s/he/it doesn't like is hate speech? 

 

 

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Players
62 posts
18,017 battles
1 minute ago, Niibler said:

 

So for example, someone attacking a group of people for using words s/he/it doesn't like is hate speech? 

 

 

Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
2,652 posts
9,794 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, Exocet6951 said:

 

CoWZ05t.gif

It's time to stop EDIT because you dislike a word based on personal experiences.

 

No. it's not just a word.

In the society each and every single one of us have a posture and a social protocol towards each other.to be able to live in the society.

the human being as other animals were meant to have especial tools (social behaviour) to be able to live in a society.

This type of behaviour leads to nowhere.

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles
33 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender.

 

 

Now for the fun part.

Define "attack"
I absolutely want you to try to compare an actual systematic discrimination of a group of people to someone saying "you're retarded" in anger on the internet.
Because that's totally not downright insulting to people actually victims of discrimination.

 

PS:

 

There, it may be a comedy show, but it's on point

 

18 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

No. it's not just a word.

In the society each and every single one of us have a posture and a social protocol towards each other.to be able to live in the society.

the human being as other animals were meant to have especial tools (social behaviour) to be able to live in a society.

This type of behaviour leads to nowhere.

 

I'm offended that you called me an animal.
You have to stop that at once because it's hate speech towards me: a person which doesn't identify as an animal.

If you dare to look down upon my comment, then you're being a massive hypocrite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,228 posts
4,952 battles

How about we just keep on reporting anyone who we feel has crossed the line in game for misbehaviour in chat and try to at least keep the forums civil, rather than this namecalling? (@both sides)

 

As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,504 posts
14,541 battles

+1 to the OP. There are plenty of generally offensive terms that can be brought into play to imply contempt or anger without needing to resort to pejorative terms for people with disabilities. This one is a double fail because not only is it extremely offensive.... it's also a rubbish Americanism that makes everyone who uses it sound like Donald Trump. Stop using it today and you make the world a better place and make yourself appear less stupid. Win-win!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
4 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

... it's also a rubbish Americanism that makes everyone who uses it sound like Donald Trump

I think you're giving Trump too much credit here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
5 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

 it's also a rubbish Americanism that makes everyone who uses it sound like Donald Trump.

That's awesome! I'll use "retard" as often as I can from now on. #MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
Just now, orzel286 said:

That's awesome! I'll use "retard" as often as I can from now on. #MAGA

I prefer North Korea's response insult:

 

"dotard"

noun
  1. an old person, especially one who has become weak or senile.

 

It's so wonderfully descriptive and it just so happens that the word looks like someone put Donald Trump and retard together. NK's insult game is stronk!

 
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles

Can I just point out the irony that no one here would actually go up to a mentally handicapped person and call them [edited], thus nullifying the "hate speech" accusation.

However, he judged anyone disagreeing with him on that point amoral.
So in essence, no one using the word villified by the OP caused any emotional turmoil, but the judgement from the OP sure did.
You know what I call that?
 

 

Delicious irony.
People legitimately making an issue out of a non-issue, and making people turn to vocal disagreement, something the very word OP is trying to get people to stop using would never have done.

 

 

PS: Out of everyone here, and everyone calling me retarded ingame, the most insulted I've felt so far today is by the OP, who DARES to judge me despite not knowing me based on my language.
The only douchebag I see in this thread is you, OP.
 

  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles

On the whole, I agree with the OP: there are certain words which consensus indicates are unacceptable in polite society, and should not be used - even as/especially as insults.

The difficulty arises from the fact that a) this is the internet, which is not exactly known for knowing where the boundaries of civilised discourse lie b) where these boundaries lie changes drastically with time (I cringe when I think of some of the insults thrown around when I was a kid), and c) too many people lack the wit and/or vocab to be able to insult others creatively, which is pretty much a prerequisite if you want to avoid the distasteful slurs.

As for the *why* of trying to avoid such slurs - it's pretty basic: even if you wouldn't be so rude to whatever person/group you are using as an insult, merely using such slurs demeans those people in your own mind, even if only subconsciously. If you use a racist slur, say, as an insult, you are implying that whichever race (in this example) is somehow lesser, and so worthy of being used as an insult. I'm pretty sure we all know this though - as far as I can tell, most people on here have pretty good brains...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,176 posts
6,671 battles
20 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

 

It's so wonderfully descriptive and it just so happens that the word looks like someone put Donald Trump and retard together.

 

 

 

HIvTONt.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,044 posts
10,498 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

On the whole, I agree with the OP: there are certain words which consensus indicates are unacceptable in polite society, and should not be used - even as/especially as insults.

 

May I remind you that the OP judged anyone's morals as inferior if they didn't comply with his?
Where does that land on the acceptability scale in polite society?

 

Because one word used as an insult in common language is far less acceptable to anyone I know than someone consciously looking down upon someone based on their own morality when it comes down to the use of language.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
2 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

 

 

A LEAF on eu server?  But why?


I'm originally from Brighton (by way of half a dozen other bits of the UK), and most of my mates are in the UK, hence I'm on the EU server for WOWS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:


I'm originally from Brighton (by way of half a dozen other bits of the UK), and most of my mates are in the UK, hence I'm on the EU server for WOWS...

Maeks sense. You really sounded like a true leaf with all that politness and crap though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
306 posts
5,559 battles
30 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

I prefer North Korea's response insult:

 

"dotard"

noun
  1. an old person, especially one who has become weak or senile.

 

It's so wonderfully descriptive and it just so happens that the word looks like someone put Donald Trump and retard together. NK's insult game is stronk!

 

Y'know, I've always been meaning to look up the meaning of that word since I heard it in the LOTR movies but I never really thought much about doing it. 

tumblr_m7cx0v0Fgp1rbaxuco1_500.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
14 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

 

May I remind you that the OP judged anyone's morals as inferior if they didn't comply with his?
Where does that land on the acceptability scale in polite society?

 

Because one word used as an insult in common language is far less acceptable to anyone I know than someone consciously looking down upon someone based on their own morality when it comes down to the use of language.

Whilst I was mainly referring to the actual original post, I think you're over-reacting somewhat to the the 'lacking moral fibre' bit further down the thread (I assume that's what provoked your ire?).

I don't read that as "all of person a's morals are superior to all of person b's", but rather a suggestion that continuing to use the word in question is suggestive of a certain moral failing; that's hardly an attack on someone's entire ethical framework. But that's just me.

Personally, I suspect that in a few years, all of these kids chucking around 'retard' as an insult will look back and cringe, in much the same way as I do, when I think of some of the terminology I used as a kid myself.

There is, of course, one other huge reason this word gets used as an insult: WG's profanity filter doesn't know to look for it yet! If most of my available insults were thus rendered unavailable, I might be tempted to use what was available...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,020 battles

giphy.gif

 

Again with the political correctness? You must be new here. And by here I mean the Internet. The risk of offending and being offended is an integral part of free speech and freedom of expression, if you cannot handle that, that's your problem.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
4,816 posts
11,806 battles
1 minute ago, orzel286 said:

Maeks sense. You really sounded like a true leaf with all that politness and crap though.

I sounded like this before I got here! My default position is generally to be polite, until someone gives me a reason to be otherwise...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×