You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TerryCox

"Retarded"

133 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,594 posts
15,898 battles
4 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

The use of the word "retard" and it's related forms  in chat is beyond belief, not helped by the fact that many Youtubers use it frequently in their videos . As someone who worked for a Cerebral palsy charity for seven years, I assure it is both offensive and insensitive. Now I know some of the negative replies I'll get from people who have no experience with disabilities, the totally ignorant and those who are just mean spirited. I don't expect it to stop, there will always be horrendous abuse in online gaming,  I'd just like to raise awareness to the fact the use of this word is not acceptable and hope people can be considerate of the gamers who no doubt live with the effects of disabilities.

Though almost everyone on this forum would agree with you... there is not much that can be done.... Its the same as comments about I hope you get Cancer. any one that has seen it would not wish it on anyone..  

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles
22 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

The use of the word "retard" and it's related forms  in chat is beyond belief, not helped by the fact that many Youtubers use it frequently in their videos . As someone who worked for a Cerebral palsy charity for seven years, I assure it is both offensive and insensitive. Now I know some of the negative replies I'll get from people who have no experience with disabilities, the totally ignorant and those who are just mean spirited. I don't expect it to stop, there will always be horrendous abuse in online gaming,  I'd just like to raise awareness to the fact the use of this word is not acceptable and hope people can be considerate of the gamers who no doubt live with the effects of disabilities.

The issue is people are different, different experiences, etc. I imagine most people will use it out of anger, not because they have ill intend towards the people you have worked with, but was probably the first bad word that came into their head.

As for people using it deliberately, those types of people are just nasty in general and it shouldn't be tolerated 

Since it's the internet, nothing can be done, that said, i'm sure WG have forum policies for abuse on their forums and you can always submit a ticket the support staff or something 

[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Players
30 posts
12,097 battles

I know it won't stop, I'd just hope I make make some people aware of how unacceptable it is. obviously there are those like the one I just blocked who think hate speech is an acceptable side of gaming.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,888 battles

I kinda understand where you are coming from, I have the same thing with the word "cancer" . Even though I sometimes use the word "retard" I never really though serious of it, even if someone calls me like that, guess bcs its so frequently used, but again, its not an excuse.

• Cool 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,733 posts
9,234 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, TerryCox said:

I'd just like to raise awareness to the fact the use of this word is not acceptable and hope people can be considerate of the gamers who no doubt live with the effects of disabilities.

CoWZ05t.gif

It's time to stop EDIT because you dislike a word based on personal experiences.

Edited by Kampa1987
Flame
  • Cool 14
  • Bad 6

[SCRUB]
Players
7,998 posts
10,396 battles

No sh*t Sherlock ...

Anything used as an insult will always be offensive and insensitive, that's the entire point about insulting.

You and others aren't going to get insulted by someone in a sensitive, inoffensive way.

People know it's unappropriate and that is EXACTLY why they use it as an insult.

I wish people would simply stop drawing lines about what kind of insult were unacceptable or not, because quite frankly the idea that some insults are more offensive than others is incredibly flawed. Insult is insult and the intent behind it is to offend, period. Exactly how much it offends is the recipient's choice and has precious little to do with one term being arbitrarily more insensitive than another.

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[AAO]
Players
1,997 posts
10,201 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, Exocet6951 said:

It's time to stop EDIT because you dislike a word based on personal experiences.

Indeed.

Not only that, but also the underlying notion that reality will conform to our niceties, once we will abandon all the nasty words to describe it, annoys me extremely. Like replacing the "n word" (or forbidding it), will abolish racism and make those distinctions disappear.

Here in Belgium, and I'm quite sure in a lot of Western countries, a lot of effort has been put into place not to refer to ppl with Down syndrom as (the Dutch equivalent of) "mongoloids".

At the same time, 2 years ago there was some upheavel here, because since the NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing) exist, most *insert your beautiful term for those ppl here* get aborted anyway, the moment they are detected (somewhere around 90%).

Want to know what the upheaval was about? That the test costed €500, so the less affluent people couldn't afford it that easily, and that thus the "burden" got placed upon the poorer ppl. (paraphrasing the literal debate here)

Luckily, we solved that problem as well by reimbursing it with healthcare.

So now everyone can get rid of the unwanted with ease of conscience now, because first of all we don't discriminate by money, and of course we don't "insult" them anymore.

Well, at least until they are extinct, I guess...

Gotta love mankind sometimes.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

The sad part about the toxicity in this community is that for a competitive PvP game, it's actually fairly mild.

• Funny 1

[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Players
30 posts
12,097 battles

I fully expected people to condone it's use and give me PC/liberal bashing, the fact of the matter is it's hate speech. Personal experience has nothing to do with it, in my case it's just made me more aware of how insensitive a word it is. I only bring it to light due to the fact it's so often used, i'm not dictating to anyone what they should or shouldn't say, but anyone with a degree of moral fibre would avoid such terms. If political correctness is considered "the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." what is so wrong with that, hardly seems like fascism to me.

Those who continue to use the word I would consider 1. totally ignorant of it's meaning. or 2. So full of self loathing and hate they don't care.

Try and be creative with your insults, be original, maybe even funny, but without discrimination.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
2,436 posts
3,322 battles
1 hour ago, TerryCox said:

As someone who suffers from it himself I feel much the same way about people using Asbergers in the same sense. Goes for autism as well.

And don't even get me started on referring to anything in a computer game as cancer. <.<

• Cool 5

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,733 posts
9,234 battles
15 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

I fully expected people to condone it's use and give me PC/liberal bashing, the fact of the matter is it's hate speech. Personal experience has nothing to do with it, in my case it's just made me more aware of how insensitive a word it is. I only bring it to light due to the fact it's so often used, i'm not dictating to anyone what they should or shouldn't say, but anyone with a degree of moral fibre would avoid such terms. If political correctness is considered "the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." what is so wrong with that, hardly seems like fascism to me.

Those who continue to use the word I would consider 1. totally ignorant of it's meaning. or 2. So full of self loathing and hate they don't care.

Try and be creative with your insults, be original, maybe even funny, but without discrimination.

Fine, if you want to play like that, then your insinuations that I have no moral fiber is very offending to me, as someone with fragilized moral fiber.
It's clearly hate speech and if YOU had a moral fiber, you would stop doing that.

I wish this could be a hyperbole, but it just isn't.
This is EXACTLY what you sound like. 

The fact that you're judging anyone that doesn't share your views as amoral and full of hate is deliciously ironic.
And because I feel particularily cocky and provocative today, I'll even call it retarded out of spite for you calling me amoral and full of hate.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[CLADS]
Beta Tester
62 posts
9,194 battles

You had me until Hate speech. You and those stupid dictats from on high can all take a long walk off a short pier into some very deep water. Be offended, that is the cost of freedom.

• Cool 2

Players
111 posts
7,253 battles

Well there are [edited] in this game ... 

Why ? There is threshold ... to everything. Is casual who plays only few games per week at best retard even if he plays very bad ? No ... why because he doesn't focus on game and therefor can not be familiar with tactics and/or lack practice.

Now there is also ... other group of people playing horribly. And here is surprise they break 12-13k games ... no no no no no no no no no. They are NOT casuals. They are dedicated to this game. But what shocked me - i found few such profiles (not gonna link) - they make 0 , ZERO , NULL progress over hundreds , thousands of games. I cannot believe - because normal non retarded human being improves slower or faster but improves in stuff they do.

And i'm not talking about tilting - i have some bad days or deep long tilts. But not months long ...

I'm now talking about constantly playing , constantly bad and constantly not improving beings...

Now maybe i'm uneducated troll despite master degree at mathematics. But in my definition someone who treats something as his hobby/almost work - i'm talking about those 10k + players with horrendous performance - should improve over time more than in REAL WORK. Why this comparison to real work - some people don't like thier work so they often perform like mindless drones - can't blame them . But if you do something for fun (game right ? ) or it's your hobby like in my case is assembling and painting miniatures - you get better, like it or not. You learn more about it, you understand mechanics behind some techniques better and better.

THERE IS NO WAY to not improve in what you would call your hobby ! 

And there goes, ban me, brand me as evil forum poster - but hereby i call such people [edited]. After damn 10k + games someone should be at least decent - and i wasnt looking at all time performance but from last months ! Both are incredibly bad. And I saw how bad they are in game and how UNRESPONSIVE such people are - you try to work them as a team - NO FRIGGING WAY. NO. They REFUSE.

• Cool 1

Players
104 posts
6,565 battles
17 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

What's funny for one person is insulting for another and vice versa.

Then again a long long time ago insult were taken and never given.

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,286 posts
8,039 battles
2 hours ago, TerryCox said:

The use of the word "retard" and it's related forms  in chat is beyond belief, not helped by the fact that many Youtubers use it frequently in their videos . As someone who worked for a Cerebral palsy charity for seven years, I assure it is both offensive and insensitive.

You see that's the point with using insults.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,998 posts
10,396 battles
25 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

There is no difference between someone calling you one term or another, the intent is the same, they want to insult you and they're going to use whatever language they deem sufficiently insulting.

Also, do you want to know the difference between an insensitive insult and a funny one? Go on, think for minute before reading on ...

*tick* *tock*

The difference is you take less offense from the latter because you find it funny. But the intent is still the bloody same, they want to insult you, period.

Insults are insults and people will use whatever they feel. No amount of "please don't be insensitive" and declaring some insults more offensive than others is going to change that and the very idea of asking people to is doubly naive, because firstly those people who'd insult you won't be listening to a damn thing you're saying and secondly ... are you for real? Like, are you seriously asking for angry people to make sensitive insults?

Hello? Does the term oxymoron ring a bell?

Now go on, do tag this comment as "Bad" too because I'm explaining the mentality of insults to you and it just so happens that it's not what you want to hear because abusive people aren't the most considerate of people.

• Cool 1

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
32 minutes ago, TerryCox said:

i usually dont insult people ingame even though they can be incredibly stupid. but i understand that when you insult people you need to be insulting and not funny or witty. unless you are doing sarcasm.

i find word retard acceptable as an insult and as definition of people with mental disability.

when you want to insult someone "normal" for being stupid beyond what is possible for average human you call him retard. thus insult cause you are calling him mentally disabled person (although there are cases where i believe those "normal" persons are actually mentally disabled).

and if you call mentally disabled person retard it is ok also. it is only word that describes his condition and there is no hate in word. just PC people find it offensive and want to use euphemisms to describe same condition with different words.

• Cool 1

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
2 hours ago, TerryCox said:

the use of this word is not acceptable

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay!

Players
111 posts
7,253 battles
3 minutes ago, Geralt_z_Rivii365 said:

You see that's the point with using insults.

Btw Geralt nailed it, I never heard offensive word that wasn't supposed to be offensive. Kinda obvious lol.

If not retard  - then some other not so polite word.

This entire topic is trully stupid - come on. If someone is willing to stop hate and shittalking in internet - you gotta be better than Jesus himself. And that is not blasphemy, but real deal.

[KURLA]
Players
4,367 posts
16,858 battles

Since when someone's sense of entitlement to respect their feelings is enough of a reason to comply with it? Maybe it's time to grow some balls. After all - feelings are EDIT - to quote a remarkable artist.

Edited by Kampa1987
Insult