Sign in to follow this  
Voncarsteine

Please explain my stats in BB's to help choose line

11 comments in this topic

Players
19 posts
1,731 battles

Good afternoon everybody, 

I tried different nations BB's because I wanted to see how they are. Haven't tried the Japanese yet because they don't appeal to me. Weird names I guess. 

I've seen videos about the different lines, the germans with their secondaries seem like fun. The americans with speed and historic Iowa class seems nice, but the road there is slooooooow. And Montana is apparently the weakest of the top tiers by far. The english are seen as simply HE spammers. 

Thing is, I like my Orion best of all my battleships. And I don't spam HE in it. I use it from long range, but inside 10 km I switch to AP for most targets. I use HE for dd's since it can almost insta-wreck them and HE for german battleships because of the turtleback. But hardly HE spamming. And I seem to fine in it. 

But I'm still not entirely satisfied about the way forward. Maybe I just do fine in tier 4. Maybe the Orion is overpowered and Kaiser is underpowered. Maybe this, maybe that. 

I thought to use my stats as a measure of each line and see which I would prefer over the tiers. But I'm not quite sure how to read the stats. Winrate is not saying everything, although winning a bad game is more fun than losing. Right now, I feel Orion is a blast. But does it stay that way? Is the tier 4 ship in any way a representation of the line to come?

Orion has 71.43% winrate , 1462 PR and 50115 damage ---> highest winrate, green PR and average damage. Does this mean I play it right? Or just better than average tier 4 battleship or better than average Orion? 

Kaiser has 61.11% winrate , 967 PR and 33641 damage  ---> ok winrate but I play it all wrong it seems. So I feel I shouldn't play germans because of my terrible PR and yellow average damage. Or is Kaiser just a weak ship? I know the dispersion is terrible. Which is suprising, seeing the dispersion stat is not THAT much worse than other ships, but in game the Kaiser can miss every shot in a salvo by a long shot. 

Wyoming has 60% winrate, 2198 PR and 54015 damage ---> lowest winrate, but best (purple) PR and average damage. This seems to me that the 'game' has very low confidence in Wyoming, so me being a purple player does not make the ship or me any good, just better than expected from a Wyoming. 

How should I read these stats? And can they predict which line I would like (suit me) best? 

[CATS]
Players
16,875 posts
11,568 battles

Ignore PR, it just compares your performance on that ship with other players of that ship.

It is completly useless when comparing between ships.

Stats are comparable when you have enough games. Since these ships are Tier IV, I doubt you have enough games in them.

Simple bad luck and luck can lead to the differences in WR.

Just decide what you like to play more.

Players
19 posts
1,731 battles
13 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Ignore PR, it just compares your performance on that ship with other players of that ship.

It is completly useless when comparing between ships.

Stats are comparable when you have enough games. Since these ships are Tier IV, I doubt you have enough games in them.

Simple bad luck and luck can lead to the differences in WR.

Just decide what you like to play more.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

So stats are no measure for the line. Can I assume the tier 4 ships are a decent sneak peek into the rest of the line? 

If so, then the germans are out for me. And I think the british or americans are the line to follow. 

[CATS]
Players
16,875 posts
11,568 battles

The lack of accuracy with german BB can be annoying, but they are the toughest BBs in game.

US BB are very well balanced, but have slow speed up to Tier VII. But that teaches you to make good tactical decisions.

UK BB are very well balanced too, but their weak AP annoys and you feel forced to use HE.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles
2 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

And Montana is apparently the weakest of the top tiers by far

Montana is everything but not the weakest 

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,142 battles
3 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

And Montana is apparently the weakest of the top tiers by far.

Kaiser is underpowered

giphy.gif

Monty's one of if not the best t10 BB, Kaiser's a lot of fun to play from what I remember.

On a more serious note:

RN BBs are often seen just senselessly spamming HE bcuz that's the easy thing to do, AP is still more than capable, and in many cases the better amo to use. These ships probably benefit the most from Expert Loader, even if the skill kinda sucks. Heavily lack armour against HE

US BBs are solid all the way from tier 6 and up, just got to get through the New York before it. Also AA power!

German BBs are probably the easiest to play, except that their guns tend to be less than unreliable at hitting stuff. Going closer to have better accuracy tends to have a good synergy with their secondaries.

IJN BBs are also a really good for starters, as while they may seem to lack armour compared to others (well, not compared to RN) they have great, reliable guns, good range and reasonable speed, plus probably the best kiting potential of any BBs (up to tier 8 as Izumo and Yamato are drastically different from everything that came before them)

French... They were just released, so can't say much about them. They seem to overpen a lot and have the same lack of armour as RN BBs, at least from what I've seen

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,554 posts
8,065 battles

Can I assume the tier 4 ships are a decent sneak peek into the rest of the line?

No. Tier IV is (on purpose) the least fun (because not

accurate) for me. Tier V or VI (or VII for US if spped is the problem) is were the real deal starts.

Especially for the IJN BBs as you just can't compare Myogi with a fully upgraded Kongo.

4 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

And Montana is apparently the weakest of the top tiers by far.

No. If you watched some streams on twitch with clans playing clan battles you will realize everyone is using Montana.

Not because it is op, but because it is the best at what it does which is sinking cruisers from longer ranges.

As far as I can tell Tier X BBs are mostly (with the exception being the stupidly op UK BB) very well balanced. Everyone brings their special something.

KM is best at brawling from midranges.

USN is very good at killing cruisers from range. (very accurate - not too much penetration to overpen)

The French brings heavy frontal firepower (many guns in frontal turrets) can't say much about them though as they are fairly new.

The IJN may be the last one that can actualy be punished for mistakes (citadel) rather easily but Yammy has the biggest guns in the game that are the only ones that can punch throuhg the nose of every BB due to overmatch.

RN is just op with too much fire chance coupled with still decent damage on their HE which makes AP almost irrelevant if you can't citadel something because they angle. On top of that it also gets more concealment than some cruisers like Moskva can dream of, a very hard (yes i know not impossible wilkatis) to hit citadel and a ridiculous heal.

Just go for the line that attracts you the most and if in doubt test all the Tier VI or at least Tier V.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
1,731 battles
20 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

giphy.gif

Monty's one of if not the best t10 BB, Kaiser's a lot of fun to play from what I remember.

On a more serious note:

RN BBs are often seen just senselessly spamming HE bcuz that's the easy thing to do, AP is still more than capable, and in many cases the better amo to use. These ships probably benefit the most from Expert Loader, even if the skill kinda sucks. Heavily lack armour against HE

US BBs are solid all the way from tier 6 and up, just got to get through the New York before it. Also AA power!

German BBs are probably the easiest to play, except that their guns tend to be less than unreliable at hitting stuff. Going closer to have better accuracy tends to have a good synergy with their secondaries.

IJN BBs are also a really good for starters, as while they may seem to lack armour compared to others (well, not compared to RN) they have great, reliable guns, good range and reasonable speed, plus probably the best kiting potential of any BBs (up to tier 8 as Izumo and Yamato are drastically different from everything that came before them)

French... They were just released, so can't say much about them. They seem to overpen a lot and have the same lack of armour as RN BBs, at least from what I've seen

Thank you so much. I hate those terrible shots in my Kaiser from inside 10 km where still all 8 shells just miss. Even with proper lead, it just misses so much. And from what I read, that’s not getting much better. 

I saw a video about GroBer Kurfurst, how its very good ship and better at everything than Montana (Flamu literally said Montana is the worst tier x BB) so that’s why I’m torn. Im not a good enough player to make a handicapped ship work for me. I should stick with better ships to compensate my gameplay instead :)

So, when looking for a BB line with good armor, good accuracy and able to push...... which line is it? I have a feeling I can have two out of those three. So losing accuracy means go German. Or lose armor and go American... 

[CATS]
Players
16,875 posts
11,568 battles

I should stick with better ships to compensate my gameplay instead :)

That does not really work. The differences are not that big.

US BB have good armor, just not speed, until Tier VIII.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,142 battles
4 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

Thank you so much. I hate those terrible shots in my Kaiser from inside 10 km where still all 8 shells just miss. Even with proper lead, it just misses so much. And from what I read, that’s not getting much better. 

I saw a video about GroBer Kurfurst, how its very good ship and better at everything than Montana (Flamu literally said Montana is the worst tier x BB) so that’s why I’m torn. Im not a good enough player to make a handicapped ship work for me. I should stick with better ships to compensate my gameplay instead :)

So, when looking for a BB line with good armor, good accuracy and able to push...... which line is it? I have a feeling I can have two out of those three. So losing accuracy means go German. Or lose armor and go American... 

German BBs are inaccurate overall, yeah, but, at least for the ones I've played, it's not unmanageable. BBs are always a RNGfest, just that some are more than others :Smile_teethhappy:

As for Flamu (or any other YouTuber / streamer) - as good as they might be, take everything they say with a pinch of salt. Personal opinions and playstyles can matter a lot for those reviews. Good information source, but it's not "all the truth and the only truth"

And actually, playing the good ships early on isn't the best thing to do. I liked how Strangers123 said it (paraphrasing here):

Get the crappy ships out first while you don't know any better so you don't have to suffer with them later when you understand how bad they are :cap_like:

Players
123 posts
3,307 battles

RN BBs can be that line which you look into when you just had a few terrible games and wish to get some satisfying damage numbers. That's pretty much it because its just a lot simpler when compared to other lines.

USN BBs really helped me learn to play and understand the roles of this class. Sure they are slow up to tier VII but that does not make them bad ships. I personally found them both reliable as well as functional in plenty of scenarios in battle, especially  when compared to Germans. You also require a really good German commander with appropriate skills to make those secondary armament work ideally in the first place. 

Ultimately, it's up to your preferences and your definition of having fun

BTW, don't judge a book by its cover. I remember ignoring the Japanese BBs because of their name but then I realized that they were pretty solid to play.

Sign in to follow this