Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

WoWs, Kancolle, and morale

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

TL;DR read second section.

Some of you would already have guess the content based on the title ... something like "Kancolle facilitates "morale" better than WoWs" right? Ye, pretty much that. (This btw is the TL;DR)

The problem I have with WoWs is that it is depressing on my morale. Back when my morale was at its height for WoWs, like way back, years ago, when almost everyone had high morales, I created the notes for WoWs, which was a lot. However, as morale dipped, people abandoned ship on WoWs, and morale on the playerbase changed from impatient to nervous to concerning to panic and outright rage and whatever else beyond, I canned the notes, and much activity on WoWs.

Now recently, facing another fail-c-c-combo observed (just can't bare to look anymore), I canned whatever attempt I was doing at porting some ideas from the notes painstakingly to fit into current WoWs. And whatever else I also had in mind.

Back when I did the notes, part of the auxiliary attempts was to analyze a bunch of other "relevant" games. WG did, too, back then giving us a list of "also played games" in one of their questionnaires (a long long ago), which included a lot of the popular games at that time including Kancolle. And part of the recent chain of events just reminded me of a particular point in the analysis.

It was how Kancolle was good for morale. No, not in the straightforward sense that "it has anime girls of course it's good for """morale""" ". But in an artistic sense. Think, for the years after it was released, countless imitators and look-alikes emerged, some with better context, some with better game design, some with better producers. But Kancolle's popularity is supreme. This is not something to be taken for granted ... because according to that logic, World of Warcraft shoud never fear another MMO, and PUBG would be popular until year 2100.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

It is how Kancolle succeeded in an artistic sense. For instance, the characters in Kancolle are drawn in a way that is very "human". In such that they are not artistically exaggerated, but artistically treated. To be highly artistic is to be overdone in style ... they would be characterized too obviously, too final, leaving no room for "possibilities". That is the problem with 99% of its imitators ... they design the characters too comical, too exaggerated, too highly characterized into complete stereotypes ... even if they took pains to still make them highly varied, uniquely designed, and logically workable. They are still "unacceptable" in an artistic, humanistic sense. Of course, like Blizzard's WoW franchise including Hearthstone, sometimes it fits the context to be comically and enjoyably so. But otherwise, depending on the context, the artistic perspective, a stance, an air, of treatment, is what makes the product to be "coherent and enduring". 

Fine art is to be natural yet profound, mundane yet singular. It leaves open possibilities, it treats the subjects as unique and self-aware. The form of the system, even the portrayal of the context itself, is not necessarily the conclusion ... the medium is but the medium, a possibility of expression, and not the end to itself. The art style, the settings, is but the medium to something more expressive, more innate, and not the product itself. (To you anime nerds out there, this is the problem with most of recent anime ... industry develops, the medium and product becomes an end to itself instead of but using the medium to express ... art. Yes, even the few most popular and "artistic" ones.)

The reason Kancolle was able to achieve something serendipitous like this , (it was originally envisioned to be mediocre vapor-ware, with a very limited audience, same as the also recent surprise hit "kemono friends"), was likely, precisely because it was only envisioned to be but a brief expression of some specific content with minimal systems. As for latter imitators, simply because of the existence of a pre-established structure of logic, in something known as "kancolle", they were robbed of a chance to develop "naturally, artistically, holistically and humanly". Their products were but pale products, no matter how much production went into them, no matter how much "scientific and smart" business tactics and system designs they used, no matter what other high-potential contexts they chose. The product would never be complete in an artistic sense, never appealing in a truly human way, never fully realized, and all the more harder so, now that some version of it already existed. But when Kancolle was designed, it was just "something nice, something fun", which was coincidentally, how some of the longest-enduring titles in gaming history, how some of the biggest companies today, started.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Some of you may already have a feeling that I am all but short of rolling my eyes and saying "all of this was said in mind to WoWs, and WG", and how games are but "the medium", which is about true. WoWs had to face the legacy of WG and WoT. It was extremely systemized and over-engineered. It is pale, soulless, boring, demoralizing (synonymous with toxic), and gross under-representation of the full possibilities of its context. It fails in both an artistic and engineering sense. But not in business ... but then again a lot of the "imitators" made good enough cash, as did PUBG ... the players are not very picky, in general, and cash does not equate to quality, necessarily.

And disclaimer, while WG did try, as I did say before, in a myriad of ways and colossal effort, with "great respect to the playerbase and even the context", they were but all for naught. It was like how the imitators tried, with more production, context, other tricks and cleverness that in the end, cannot substitute, nor surpass, pure artistic merit. This was what WoWs could have been, and what so many players tried, and failed, to make WG see. And those from which I am feeling the deathly call of, in this demoralized session of mine. 

How hard would it be to design the game in a way that offers at least a little bit of possibility, for instance, in building defensively versus offensively versus utility? To just offer a bit more showmanship and host skill, just a little bit more artistic sense, ....

If someday WoWs becomes a state in which it can actually raise morale. I will return, and if it returns to the height of morale akin to back when notes was created, I will return to the level of the notes.

I leered into the window of the figurine toy store. The small army-men, each uniquely postured, coloured and lifelike, masterfully designed, were entrancing. I subtly memorized their postures, for reference. The accompanying officers, cannons, tanks, vehicles, sets buildings, a single one costing more than a premium ship ... I would have killed to have some of those when I was younger. But now, when I actually could, I could no longer enjoy them anymore ... their magic was for the more deserving, and pure.

Yet I doubt any but a select few would actually be able to get their hands on enough of these to fully enjoy them, when they could. 

But WoWs reaches to any and all. At a potentially zero cost. To the engineers and would be interested in the scientific aspects of the ships ... to the artists who would be well-receiving of anything fun and expressive ... to those interested in history, who would be amazed by seeing them come to life. To game designers who would enjoy, for once, to play a game. (that's not true, a lot of game engineers actually transition to pure software engineers). But you get the idea. This context would do well if it was better portrayed, and had further reach.

WoWs has potential, I have always said so, and I will always say so. Whether I say it in a bitter, resentful way, or in a cheerful way with accompanying ideas expressed concisely, depends on my morale.

(And whether I say it at all, depends on how much of a flying barge I give to it. Currently, approaching zero.)

But then again, who am I to criticize them? They will continue to sell their army men, and I will leer at them from the opposite side of the window. It has always been how things are. What I think of them, be it good or bad, is really, just what I think.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

ERRRR I am so absent-minded... I forgot what I truly wanted to say with this again, (like I ways do) .... an important point:

It is this "un-concluded possibility", if applied to match-session design, can help to alleviate the pressure of a win vs lose, so players can simply enjoy the process of the game itself, when the match is still undecided, or who cares does it even matter what the outcome is, the process itself, the sights seen while happening, the pure experience of it all, the spectacle, the grand scene and corresponding feelings ... is the most enjoyable. 

This is ... idk, somehow linked to how the "Kancolle" characters are designed in an un-final, not obvious, sense? errr this is stretching it a bit far .... how to explain it ...

Oh wait I forgot, I don't give a flying cat. And I said goodbye. Ahahahaha cya. (I'm just too lazy to explain the point.)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

No idea what your point was. You really need to work on your TLDR's, they are meant to be short and concise, I fell asleep reading yours. :fish_sleep:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,636 posts
8,549 battles

While I disagree with your general glum outlook on the game as it is, I do agree that it could benefit from more personality and a reason to get invested beyond just wanting to play with some ships and collect them.

Sometimes I think WG plays it too safe when it comes to features which run little risk of causing damage to the game. Everything is rolled out slowly over a long time, often in installments. For changes potentially effecting balance that's a good thing, for other changes and addition I think they could benefit from working up to something big and release something you can really get excited about.

The last time they changed something which fundamentally altered my day to day play, was the containers replacing daily missions.

Everything since then has been very situational and dependent on what and how you play.

Campaigns and collections were good additions, but still they are just streamlined and improved vehicles for mission driven content. They lubricate the grind, so to say.

Players
453 posts
9,935 battles

Matey my mouse scroll get rekt again...

Have not read, +1 though, as per usual. :)

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,673 posts
5,668 battles
6 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

simply enjoy the process of the game itself,

^My TLDR.

If I didn't I wouldn't play... 

I enjoy the fundamental principle of the game, how it actually works (yes annoying details on occasion), the ships themselves, with the variety of cammo's, even have the Kancolle captains collection in my port for vocal variety. Some ships being fundamentally great fun to drive (Atlanta/Minotaur/Akizuki, Harekaze etc) but mostly, it's playing against/with 23 others which offers challenges that are fun/enjoyable/frustrating at times, that you will not get playing against an AI.

[ZPT]
Players
191 posts

So..... You wall text like a champ! Congrats! Let's see who is the bravest forumite that actually manages to read all the way to the end and express his opinion in 2 words or less! 

Sign in to follow this