Rusty_9

Tier V vsTeir VI

6 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
465 posts
1,906 battles

So, about to unlock the Bogue. I'm guessing the play style is similar to the Langley? But, thinking ahead a bit here... what do i do in 2 vs 2 matches where one pair is Tier VI? I can't strafe/counter-strafe and am wondering what is the best approach (apart from cautious)? Is it possible to tell who's planes i'm about to engage in my fighters (T5 CV's or T6's?)?

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
19 posts
4,095 battles

Yes, the Bogue is very similar to the Langley, besides the slightly higher number of reserve plans and the slightly faster carrier speed.
As for playstyle, it is what you would expect from low tier CV play, try to engage enemy fighters in friendly AA, try not to be wasteful with your very limited plane reserves and so on. Remember, CV's are always mirrored to the best of MM's ability (At least as far as I know) with perhaps the exceptions around tier 7-8 (since there is more than just one American and one Japanese at those tiers.)

And how to tell which CV's planes you are engaging? Look for the Roman numeral above the enemy squad and compare it to the tier level of planes of the enemy carrier. It is always a good idea to "scout out" the potential enemy CV's stats in the tech tree, knowing is half the battle, after all :)  As for the Bogue, it starts with tier 4 (IV) fighters, which can and should be upgraded to tier 5 (V).

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[SSA]
Players
591 posts
16,468 battles

The saving grace here is that many ppl at t6 either aren't aware of or just are not using strafes and/or manual drops.

If you want to be able to plan ahead a bit more just have the profile tab of the website open in the background

and alt-tab out while the match loads to check your enemies stats in the respective carrier. Below 50% wr you're usually, but not guaranteed safe from strafes.

IF the enemy does do strafes (of you expect him to) try to predict when he'll strafe and pull your fighters (and ofc bombers) out of the way EARLY (ideally during the setup-phase of the barrage).

Flying unpredictably and not having your strike-planes grouped together when enemy fighters are closing in makes it hard to get good strafes off

and a failed strafe can buy you time to click-engage (if opportune) with your own fighters, retreat or close in on a surface target.

Only do that if you're expecting the enemy to strafe though, since it obviously makes it easier for the enemy fighters to just catch up and engage.

Also remember: It is possible to leave a fighter engagement via a strafe (at the cost of 1 fighter plane to the one leaving), that strafe will shoot down planes like any other one,

so be catious about flying close to engaged enemy fighters if the opponent has strafed before.

Above strategies are ofc still valid when you'll be able to strafe yourself.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,157 posts
6,717 battles

Just go to the frontline and use the carrier´s weapons against the enemy. Nobody expects a carrier to do that.

Players
958 posts
7,533 battles

It becomes a bit like playing against an AS carrier. You need to play conservative and ultimately lower your expectations a bit. You'll also be against T6 or at worst T7 AA, with lots of defensive fire.

Especially early game, look for strongest friendly AA bubbles, and use those to keep your planes safe. Be patient, towards late game you'll get stragglers who're vulnerable to your strikes. But study those ships well: T6'ish some ships are still in near WW1 AA spec while others are murderous. The variation is huge, and critical for you.

Look at what the other friendly CV is doing -- is he tying lots of enemy fighters and creating an opening for you?

While you can't strafe, you can strafe DODGE. So practise this, it'll serve you well later. When the enemy gets greedy, try to dodge the strafe so he ends up over your team's AA. Then immediately click on his plane and lock him in dogfight over that AA.

While I think it was an awful decision to mix T5 and T6 CV's, fortunately it's quite rare to run into T6 CV who's really good at strafing. So it's normally not as awful as it might.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,642 posts
5,356 battles
On 7/30/2018 at 4:30 AM, jss78 said:

.....While I think it was an awful decision to mix T5 and T6 CV's, fortunately it's quite rare to run into T6 CV who's really good at strafing. So it's normally not as awful as it might.

For what it is worth - I totally agree with this - but, it also gives a (very) hard lesson in how CV game play changes at T6 so should prompt new players to investigate the 'WTF just happened' and investigate/learn in preparation.