Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
haha_ufail

Mogami AP is un usable??

46 comments in this topic

[-EE-]
Beta Tester
22 posts
1,991 battles

So far ive made it though to the mogami in alittle under a week, and having played the atago and the following IJN cruisers regularly im pritty familiar with the playstyle used with these cruisers, but so far in CA vs CA combat ive had nothing but trouble doing any damage to other players with AP, even though everyone says "shoot AP at a cruisers waterline and deal huge damage"  i do it quite often in other ships but with this ship it doesnt seem to work at all, the past few games ive tryed swiching to AP in CA engagments and its almost like shooting 2 year old damp bamboo sticks at solid 10ft concrete walls with little to no effect, and then i get totaly deleted by a random shot into the bow of my ship with no citadel hits being posible where they landed their shots.... 

am i missing something, do i need to unlock some kinda of inner peace and learn the martial arts of their people tp make it work?

• Funny 1

[4_0_4]
Players
5,223 posts
11,385 battles

Let me guess, you still have the 155mm guns installed?

Beta Tester
18 posts

IJN AP is garbage compared to everyone else's. Spam fires (and some torpedos), that's all the line is good for these days.

• Bad 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, BombsAway sagte:

IJN AP is garbage compared to everyone else's. Spam fires (and some torpedos), that's all the line is good for these days.

Lol, no. My Ibuki already devastated Minotaurs with AP :cap_haloween:

@OP: AP is only good if you use 203mm guns and enemy is full broadside on less than (around) 12km.

For the 155mm guns, HE with IFHE skill is stronger against cruisers.

• Cool 1

[-EE-]
Beta Tester
22 posts
1,991 battles
5 minutes ago, Zemeritt said:

nah i got the 203mm's about an hour or so ago

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,215 posts
14,969 battles

With the 155mm guns you usually need to get within ~8km for AP to be able to score citadels against broadsiding targets in a reliable fashion.

The 203mm ones have a bit more leeway in that regard, but are also unreliable at greater ranges.

Beta Tester
1,937 posts
6,260 battles

You know sometimes (when not blaped) it can be hillauriois scoring 6+ citadels per salvo with mogamis 155's againt a cruser caught broadside provided you can get in range :cap_win:

Beta Tester
18 posts
14 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

My Ibuki already devastated Minotaurs with AP

A broken clock is right twice a day too, doesn't mean it's any good.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
15 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

@OP: AP is only good if you use 203mm guns and enemy is full broadside on less than (around) 12km.

For the 155mm guns, HE with IFHE skill is stronger against cruisers.

well, he's not far from the truth to be honest...

IJN AP is probably the weakest one of the bunch, and you will more often then not get unreliable results on everything but a flat broadside targets that are close to you.
Whereas KM/USN/RU cruisers can reliably punish broadsiding cruisers from 15km with ease, IJN are struggling with that.
Ofc, Minotaur is a bit of exception because DDs can pen his tinfoil armor :)

Players
1,058 posts
7,695 battles
2 hours ago, haha_ufail said:

So far ive made it though to the mogami in alittle under a week, and having played the atago and the following IJN cruisers regularly im pritty familiar with the playstyle used with these cruisers, but so far in CA vs CA combat ive had nothing but trouble doing any damage to other players with AP, even though everyone says "shoot AP at a cruisers waterline and deal huge damage"  i do it quite often in other ships but with this ship it doesnt seem to work at all, the past few games ive tryed swiching to AP in CA engagments and its almost like shooting 2 year old damp bamboo sticks at solid 10ft concrete walls with little to no effect, and then i get totaly deleted by a random shot into the bow of my ship with no citadel hits being posible where they landed their shots.... 

am i missing something, do i need to unlock some kinda of inner peace and learn the martial arts of their people tp make it work?

They need to be broadside on for you to shoot AP at them. If they are angled, use HE instead. I recommend 155 mm guns with IFHE.

Players
632 posts
7,668 battles

Brit CLs are floating citadels. I citadeled a minotaur end on at 10km with the 155 mm AP.  That said I'm in Australia with a ping of 179 so I mostly spam IFHE with the flags and demo expert, as citadels are very hit and miss beyond 6 km with any ship of mine. 

There is also armour layouts with spaced armour, torpedo bulges and sloped internal armour belts. UK CLs are the only thing easy to citadel from any direction. With everything else it requires a look at the armour layout to see if it's worth trying,  and at what range, with the guns you have. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,215 posts
14,969 battles
55 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

That said I'm in Australia with a ping of 179

This is off topic, but wouldn't you get a better ping if you go for the Asian server instead? Or do you not wanna deal with weebs? :D

Heck, that you're only getting a ping of 179 is pretty impressive imo.

Players
632 posts
7,668 battles
29 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

This is off topic, but wouldn't you get a better ping if you go for the Asian server instead? Or do you not wanna deal with weebs? :D

Heck, that you're only getting a ping of 179 is pretty impressive imo.

I was on the NA server but the people I played with were potatoes. Ping was about 80 there. I had friends on this server so I sold my old NA account and came here. I play cruisers and DDs, and just spam fire and torpedoes which mitigates the disadvantages of the ping.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,484 posts
5,953 battles

In the mean time,

I am in my hipper, spamming AP to the semi-broadside BBs and scoring 4 to 6K salvos! :)

Players
5,201 posts
8,071 battles
8 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

well, he's not far from the truth to be honest...

IJN AP is probably the weakest one of the bunch, and you will more often then not get unreliable results on everything but a flat broadside targets that are close to you.
Whereas KM/USN/RU cruisers can reliably punish broadsiding cruisers from 15km with ease, IJN are struggling with that.
Ofc, Minotaur is a bit of exception because DDs can pen his tinfoil armor :)

Except 100mm citadel plating is common citadel plating, especially on IJN cruisers. And even russian stronk 130mm need to be uncomfortably close to punch through that.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,253 posts
3,482 battles
10 hours ago, Zemeritt said:

That shouldn't be a problem, especially at ranges below 10-9km. 

10 hours ago, BombsAway said:

Thank you for your input, now sit down. 

IJN AP is perfectly fine when not used above its limits: bounce angles are average and miracles shouldn't be expected, but at a target tgat is sufficiently broadside, you'll do just fine with either the 8" or the 155mil.

The main problem with the IJN 8" guns is that between T5 and T9, they don't scale. At all. Really. The C-hull Furutaka has the exact same guns as the C-hull Ibuki, and while in the Aoba you can get the best results by using your powerful-for-the-tier AP in concert with your very powerful HE and 11 seconds reload, at T8/9/X things have evolved highly in terms of armour, so the same angles and ranges will not yield the same results with the same ammo. 

As for the 155mil guns, you shouldn't feel limited in any way. They are right comfortable guns, and under 10 km, you can tear a broadsiding cruiser a new one with AP with them (also you can go to town on broadsiding 14" BB's with AP, I once tore up a New Mexico and a KGV with AP from the side, taking 5-7k chunks off them by pointing my bow at them).

• Cool 4

[GWDYS]
Players
460 posts
3,139 battles
11 hours ago, BombsAway said:

But thats not true, like at all :Smile_teethhappy:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,673 posts
5,668 battles
11 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

*cough cough*, is there a ship in the game that cannot citadel a Minotaur?

(I suspect that even CV secondaries can do that, although never tried/had it happen lol)

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

With the 155s, AP is extremely situational and you'll need to get in suicidal close range for it to pen reliably. If you have IFHE you can get away using HE most of the time.

With the 203's the Mogami plays like a slightly upgraded Myoko, and AP becomes a good chunk more reliable at range, your HE is still good but you'll lose raw RoF.

Personally, stick with the 155s and IFHE and see the seas burn :cap_rambo:

Edit: This thread might be of use here

[SCRUB]
3,253 posts
3,482 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

*cough cough*, is there a ship in the game that cannot citadel a Minotaur?

(I suspect that even CV secondaries can do that, although never tried/had it happen lol)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it... 

Like really, IFHE CV spec cpt vs Minotaur bots + training room  :D

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
10,995 battles

Mogami is my most played ship, and her 155 AP are usable in rare situations. Like when you see cruiser sailing onto island with broadside to you, then you know it will be stuck there for some time, that is when you use those AP :). Other than that, just stick to HE, Until you reach Zao, then you can combine AP and HE in a battle with great effect. 

• Cool 1

Players
453 posts
9,935 battles

Zao AP is legendary on broadsides (yes, even on BBabies!)

By the way, it is super interesting to read about Mogamis at 5-8km range. Please explain me only one thing!

How the hell you are supposed to get that close to anything with Mogami? :D

[SCRUB]
3,253 posts
3,482 battles
1 minute ago, Exohoritis said:

Zao AP is legendary on broadsides (yes, even on BBabies!)

By the way, it is super interesting to read about Mogamis at 5-8km range. Please explain me only one thing!

How the hell you are supposed to get that close to anything with Mogami? :D

You are supposed to conserve your hitpoints as much as you can and in the end of the match you can afford so. Also, island cover. Coming out from behind an island with turrets facing to the rear quarter and catching an enemy cruiser brodside on at close range can be extremely satisfying. 

If you play a lot of games in the ship, you are bound to come up to situations where you'll be able to exploit the AP. 

It's situational, sure, but also effective in those situations. 

• Cool 1

Players
453 posts
9,935 battles
15 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

You are supposed to conserve your hitpoints as much as you can and in the end of the match you can afford so. Also, island cover. Coming out from behind an island with turrets facing to the rear quarter and catching an enemy cruiser brodside on at close range can be extremely satisfying. 

If you play a lot of games in the ship, you are bound to come up to situations where you'll be able to exploit the AP. 

It's situational, sure, but also effective in those situations. 

I was sarcastic, I am CA main. It can really work, however will not yield consistent preformance.

PS: A mogami az akkor is szar a nerf óta!  :P

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,121 posts
14,664 battles
23 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Like really, IFHE CV spec cpt vs Minotaur bots + training room  :D

That would not work. Even assuming 1/4 HE penetration and IFHE, you would need a bigger HE shell than that which exists in any secondary gun in the entire game.

11 hours ago, cro_pwr said:

Even ignoring the Zao's AP, the IJN AP shells still significantly outperform even the KM's AP shells when in comes to penetration and penetration maintenance. It's not great, but neither is most cruiser AP.

Sign in to follow this