You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
whitebird2012

Change Smoke Screen Physics

Change smoke screen physics.  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should smoke screen be change so that players can no longer target enemys while within its cover?

• Yes
    • No

47 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
1,580 battles

As stated in the title there are problems with the current way in which smoke screens are being used.

When a player uses a smoke screen it obscures their position so that they're invisible however with the current game mechanic this allows any ship to start unfairly spamming other ships with impunity providing the targets are spotted (and last I checked infrared was limited if not at all existent on warships back then).

This often results in the smoke screen users getting a massive unfair advantages against BB players in particular or in other cases, due to the noobish nature of some players who group together, get torpedo spammed by a clever destroyer since they're all sitting in one smoke cloud ruining the whole team.

But perhaps the worst part about smoke camping is that it promotes camping not skill. Players need only press a single button to setup a smoke screen in a convenient place and they can just sit and spam from a safe distance with no effort to do anything else.

A way to fix this issue would be to keep the usual cover settings that smoke screens provide but reduce the visibility of the ship to 2km distance.

What do you guys think?

Note: I know this topic could upset the cruiser players...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[DD537]
Beta Tester
561 posts
9,354 battles

*edited*

Edited by Daxeno
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to flaming.
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
4,723 posts
11,324 battles
2 minutes ago, whitebird2012 said:

I am a dd player

You just happen to only play DDs which 90% rely on torps while playing BBs far more...

Players
3,144 posts
17,777 battles

Certain cruisers (RN) are built around the smoke mechanics. The idea you suggest would break them. Not to mention gunboat DDs. Smoke meta is no longer a problem in ranked or clan wars, there is no issue.

10 minutes ago, whitebird2012 said:

I am a dd player

Played 714 BB games 426 DD games.:Smile_sceptic:

Someone bring out the BB Bingo card

(on a serious note, try to play some of the other lines and gain a more complete understanding  the game)

• Bad 1

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
12 hours ago, whitebird2012 said:

I am a dd player

Yeah ... nope.

*edited*

Edited by Daxeno
  • Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,560 posts
20,714 battles

Smoke has plenty of counters. *edited*

Edited by Daxeno
  • Bad 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,353 posts
26,373 battles
1 hour ago, whitebird2012 said:

due to the noobish nature of some players who group together, get torpedo spammed by a clever destroyer since they're all sitting in one smoke cloud ruining the whole team

1 hour ago, whitebird2012 said:

Players need only press a single button to setup a smoke screen in a convenient place and they can just sit and spam from a safe distance with no effort to do anything else.

Can't be both.

• Cool 2

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles

Even though I would like a more realistic smoke, e.g. more defensive than offensive, I'am happy with the current state since the change for gun calibers.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Played 714 BB games 426 DD games.:Smile_sceptic:

Someone bring out the BB Bingo card

(on a serious note, try to play some of the other lines and gain a more complete understanding  the game)

Yeah well, for some people still count you as a X main player as long as said line has more games played than your new main line. I for example was a Battleship main, now I play DD. But since I still have 400-ish more games played on BBs than DDs some "elements" see me still as BB main, even thogh I only played 3 or 4 games in BBs the last 2 months and 200-ish in DDs...

[WGB]
Players
37 posts
147 battles
12 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

*edited*

Is it necessary to insult the OP? The OP is a fairly new player, as I am, you could give an explanation why his ideas will not work in a more reasonable & logical manner without having to parade his stats in order to further insult him in front of his peers.

Git gud. LTBR pls

• Cool 5

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
6 minutes ago, Podvoisky said:

Is it necessary to insult the OP? The OP is a fairly new player, as I am, you could give an explanation why his ideas will not work in a more reasonable & logical manner without having to parade his stats in order to further insult him in front of his peers.

Git gud. LTBR pls

Welcome to online communities lad.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
2,665 posts
11,390 battles
13 minutes ago, whitebird2012 said:

Well guess this was a predicatively conclusive yet some what cold response from the cruiser/gunboat players.

Tbh given your poor understanding of how smoke works base on your OP, i wonder why you would say something like that?

Rather than cold I would say that you lack the knowledge of how smoke actually works and how to deal with smoke, hence say, thinking smoke is unfair to BB players.

I mean sure its absolutely fair for RN CAs to be blapped by said BB players. How dare they play a line of ship that has no armour at all and rely on smoke as a balance to be able to dish reliable damage.

But hey what do I or the rest know. Perhaps you can enlighten us more on how to balance this entire game. 

Ps: reading your entire op you really don't have an idea of how smoke works. Perhaps get up to date with what changes have been made to smoke recently before making a proposal.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,353 posts
26,373 battles
14 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

Yeah well, for some people you still count as a X main player as long as said line has more games played than your new main line. I for example was a Battleship main, now I play DD. But since I still have 400-ish more games played on BBs than DDs some "elements" see me still as BB main, even thogh I only played 3 or 4 games in BBs the last 2 months and 200-ish in DDs...

OT: Since you have been at both end, are dd-s really overpowered and constantly spam BB-s with torps  while spamming HE from smoke and there's nothing to counter them?

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Podvoisky sagte:

Git gud. LTBR pls

I would help if he asked for help. He came here, stated something that is obviously wrong and he is by far not the first doing something like this.

And from my experience, players making these posts don't want help anyway. It's not worth my time to give advice to people who don't want it.

Just for you the short version:

• some ships absolutely need smoke the way it is now to have a chance -> british cruisers
  • smoke is easy to counter, doesn't need to be nerfed -> radar, hydro, torpedos, spotter plane, aiming skills, just staying out of range
  • smoke is not easy to use, you need very good positioning and timing to use it effectively

[WGB]
Players
37 posts
147 battles
6 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Just for you the short version:

• some ships absolutely need smoke the way it is now to have a chance -> british cruisers
  • smoke is easy to counter, doesn't need to be nerfed -> radar, hydro, torpedos, spotter plane, aiming skills, just staying out of range
  • smoke is not easy to use, you need very good positioning and timing to use it effectively

Thank-You.

Courteous advice, logical reply and very helpful.

Now I am educated too, your version has just advanced my knowledge into using smoke, right time, right place, and when to use it.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 minute ago, Profilus said:

OT: Since you have been at both end, are dd-s really overpowered and constantly spam BB-s with torps  while spamming HE from smoke and there's nothing to counter them?

The only pure gunboat I sometimes play in the Vampire at Tier III.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,353 posts
26,373 battles
15 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

The only pure gunboat I sometimes play in the Vampire at Tier III.

Since you didn't answer the question, i guess you meant NO. So maybe you aren't a BB main anymore :cap_fainting:

edit: or just realized there's much BB can do against DD.

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

Your vision is already reduced to 2 km while sitting in smoke, unless they shoot and are close enough to be spotted due to gun bloom in smoke. In this game, you can shoot at ships that are behind islands, just because a teammate of yours has a vision of that ship. You see everything your team sees in this game and I don't see a reason to change that.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

Smoke equipped cruisers and DD's rely on it and HAVE to have spotters your proposal is ill thought out, or plain not thought out at all.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
36 minutes ago, Profilus said:

Since you didn't answer the question, i guess you meant NO. So maybe you aren't a BB main anymore :cap_fainting:

It was more or less a "counter question" without the question mark. I mainly play german DDs, Tier VI and VIII and started with Tier IX a week ago (still stock).

I'am also an objective player so... How do I put it...?

People who play Battleships like I did (going in, leading the charge - to a certain point when I stopped careing because well... You're just a XP-piniata) are easy prey for torpedos unless they're really good at it and have the XP to know that I'am there. As of guns... I can't say much, I use the 150mm mainly to p*ss off Cruisers... But currently on Geade I have 50 kills with guns to 59 with torpedos and with Z-23 14/28.

Overall I think BB vs DD (the ones I play) is pretty balanced. You get popped as Battleship if you're stupid enough to get torped as well as I in a DD get popped when I'am stupid enough to let me get spotted.

My opinion, with whom I stand alone in this forum, is that Cruiser break it somehow. I can understand both sides, it can be funny one or two games to sit somewhere and farm Battleships or (especially fast reloading ships with hydro/radar) blow DDs out of the water with your supirior reload/number of guns/range (at higher Tiers)... Every Gopnik can do that, even average little me.

But well, this isn't about them even though in my opinion they're the reason why BBs camp the map border and Cruisers can be oneshotted by RNG...

As I said, I can understand both sides or in this case all three.

Several months ago there was a very good solution for this presented (from another player) but guess who was against it. Because that would have meant that certain someones would have to back up their mouth.

Good enough?

• Cool 2

Players
5 posts
1,580 battles
1 hour ago, pra3y said:

lack the knowledge

True, I tend to use smoke as a means of escape and nothing else. Generally when playing either DD or BB (I don't care what people say I still play DD today just not as much as BB) I have the mentality to keep moving as not to get hit while utilizing attacking gameplay though I'm changing that with the Izumo. The reason for the lack of experience is simply IJN DDs just can't rely on their guns to counter other DDs so I've never used the mechanics to the full effect.

As for "Cold" I was just being descriptive with my wording.