Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hawg

Module Incapacitations by Ship Class

6 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Players
483 posts

After a recent battle in a DD where I felt like every time someone even sneezed on me my engine module was incapacitated, I decided to do a completely unscientific sample of how often some different ships had modules incapacitated.   I did 12 battles each in DD's, BB's, & CA's.  I used several ships of each in Tier 8 and 10.    (I run preventative maintenance on all my DD's, and Last Stand, I don't run either of those on my BB's or CA's).

Here is what I observed:

• 20.9% of hits received on my DD's resulted in a module either being incapacitated or destroyed
  • 12.7% for my BB's
  • 10.3% for my CA's

If I narrow that to "critical modules" (steering, engine, guns torps) the numbers are:

• 9.9% for my DD's
  • 0% for my BB's (had none)
  • 2.6% for my CA's

Average per battle for the 36  battles (12 each class):

• Hit 34.7 times with 7.3 disables and 3.4 critical for my DD's.
  • Hit 141.3 times with 18.0 disables and zero critical for my BB's.
  • Hit 68.9 times with 7.1 disables and 1.8 critical for my CA's.

I realize this is too small a sample to make any sweeping conclusions.   I also realize that different ships within each class may be more susceptible to Module Incapacitations than others.   But I figured I'd share my observations anyway as "food for thought".

A couple of other thoughts:

• BB's  & CA's get hit a lot more than DD's so it makes sense that the chance of a disable is less.
  • Having your torps knocked out and having to wait 120 seconds after repair for the reload is a big castration for a DD, same for a slow reload BB, but they have more turrets and reload on for example Yamato is "only" 30 seconds.
  • An engine or steering disable for a DD when it is trying to escape while under heavy fire (even with Last Stand), is a very punishing thing.
  • Having an engine or  steering disabled, repair, immediately disabled again, is enough to make you break your monitor.
  • Your first three captain points in DD's pretty much are mandatory to help deal with disabled modules.
  • There does not seem to be any sort of "bad luck protection".   I had one battle in a DD where I was hit 27 times resulting in 14 module disables, 5 of which were back-to-back critical.   I had another game in that same ship (Khaba) where I was hit 28 times and only 2 modules disabled, both critical.   So there is a lot of variance.

All of this makes me wonder if this entire module disable mechanic is broken, unbalanced, or even just unnecessary.    What is it that WG thinks this brings to the game.   Would the game as a whole be better off without it?   What do you think?

Players
2,928 posts
5,080 battles

DDs are tons of equipment crammed into a small not armoured hull. Bigger ships have a lot of places they can get hit where there are no modules, and some key modules are well protected.

There is no different chance to lose a module on ship type, if the shell hits the module and has enough pen, you can lose it. Difference is on a DD any hit is very likely to be on a module (see above). But the whole DD is much harder to hit, so if you're taking so many hits your modules are always broken in a DD you're doing something wrong.

[HOO]
Players
483 posts

The problem is no just one of probability though, its also the impact when a disability happens, and I think DD's not only get them far more frequently, but the punishment when they do get it is far worse.   I don't see the balance justifications for that.  

And just to be clear, I mainly play CA's ... I rarely play my DD's.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,318 posts
11,751 battles

the shells fired on your are the size of your torps! what do you expect :)

On a more serious note..

as a DD main here, I suggest you dont get seen :)

or you will suffer.. and you said you are using last stand,

dont immediately repair your steering If Its damaged.. If your engine is working, It is enough for evasive moves.

Use engine modification, which will give you %50 less time to reach top speed

when your engine knocked out.. wait till you drop half speed then repair it..

and dont get seen :)

• Cool 1

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
243 posts
8,410 battles

Most of the time, DD's are trying to enter combat without having the enemy shoot back at them. When they do get hit though, last stand makes engine and steering gear incapacitations largely meaningless. Also, DD's don't really mind having a fire on them or getting a turret incapacitated. Torpedo tubes getting incapped can be a huge problem sometimes. However, considering that all other incapacitations are inconsequential most of the time, this is what you should be saving your damage control for. Let's not also forget that you can lessen the impact by simply firing the torpedos before you are getting shot at.

But that is the price you pay with any class you enter the battle with. DD's just happen to be easily damaged because they're not designed to weather incoming fire.

Sign in to follow this