You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_H_Nelson

"Gold of France" - Nice Campaign with worrying precedents?

11 comments in this topic

Players
3,441 posts
17,233 battles

TL;DR
Rewards feel about right for the level of difficulty of the Campaign.
You don't have to do the whole thing. You can play it just enough to get the tokens to complete the collection that gives you the French captain with special skills.
You can do most of the tasks in PvE, which gets all the players involved and keeps us peasants away from spoiling Random Battles.
I have one or two concerns about precedents set with this campaign, especially the one restricted to Tier 8 French battleships.
If you are hoping to win ship missions (as I was) then it is a big gamble. It may be better to just grind through the line as normal.

Rewards

Spoiler

1) New camos for "Dunkerque", "Gascogne" and "Richelieu" which are pleasant to the eye.
- In the case of Dunkerque and Gascogne no extra benefits are obtained over and above the supplied premium camo
- If you already had the camo on Dunkerque you get compensation in silver, which is very good
- "Richelieu" is a straight upgrade of a silver ship with permanent camo
2) Tokens for badges with a French theme that you cannot get elsewhere
- very nicely drawn, if you are into the badges "thing".
3) Flags & camos for completing tasks & missions.
- Only a few here and there, but about right for the level of difficulty
4) French Containers
- Flags, camos and tokens for your collection as standard
- the possibility of winning a ship mission for the Tiers 5,6,7 or 8 French battleship.

Missions & Tasks

Spoiler

Very "doable" and not as grindy as some events
You can do most of the missions in PvE or whatever combo of PvP & PvE you prefer
Some good elements in the design of the mission mission tasks, for example.
- tasks are based based on individual effort, rather than being dependent on others helping/kill strealing
- no "n kills of Russian/Japanese/German/etc ships"  and all that nonsense

The task restrictions concern me a bit
- it is fair to emphasise the use of French ships in the context of the intro of the new Battleship line (and the "French flavour" to the game at the moment)
- The tasks restricted to using "Aigle" are OK because you can win the ship by grinding missions for it - though it does make life easier to actually buy the ship. That is not new.
- The task that concerns me is the one where you must use a Tier 8 French battleship. You have three options:-
a) Buy a premium ship "Gascogne" which has had mixed reviews.
b) Do a heckuva grind through the French BB line to get to tier 8 in about a month before 0.7.3 arrives and the campaign is taken away.
c) Be lucky enough to get the Tier 8 "Richelieu" mission from a French container. Winning a ship AND instant access to mission tasks is a bit too much luck to give away IMHO.

Now I've completed the campaign, am I glad I did it?

Spoiler

No. Not really. But this was because I gambled on winning ship missions from the containers, and this involved many painful games in "Aigle", my "bête noire" (see what I did there) .
I collected almost all of the containers (only 3 missing), and did win the mission for "Normandie".  

On balance however, I calculate that it would have been quicker to simply grind through "Bretagne" and "Normandie" than do the Campaign.

TBH I feel like a break from the game until the next "big thing" comes along.

• Cool 3

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,902 battles
22 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

- The tasks restricted to using "Aigle" are OK because you can win the ship by grinding missions for it - though it does make life easier to actually buy the ship. That is not new.
- The task that concerns me is the one where you must use a Tier 8 French battleship. You have three options:-
a) Buy a premium ship "Gascogne" which has had mixed reviews.
b) Do a heckuva grind through the French BB line to get to tier 8 in about a month before 0.7.3 arrives and the campaign is taken away.
c) Be lucky enough to get the Tier 8 "Richelieu" mission from a French container. Winning a ship AND instant access to mission tasks is a bit too much luck to give away IMHO.

Well, I  did win 2 French BBs from the free regular containers dropped from the first 2 missions from 2 weeks ago.

But you don t really need Aiglen or tier 8+ French battleship, because:

1. First mission which can be done with any ship tier 5+ gives you 1 star.

2. Second mission which can be done with any French ship tier 6+ gives you 2 star.

(and it seems correct that a French related campaign should motivate the players to play French ships)

Just repeat these 2 missions for 3 more stars and with 6 stars and you ll complete each stage.

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

And yet campaign is perfectly doable for someone who doesn't have baguette boats at all. Time consuming, yes, but it doesn't require any feats of strength or pulling off impossible shenanigans on regular basis.

Players
636 posts
8,871 battles

And that is kinda the thing with these campaigns and events, to break up the normal game routine to keep the player base entertained ...

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,524 battles

I found it a pleasant experience.

A small campaign with a (for its size) generous time frame.

I did find gathering large amounts of ribbons with French BBs to be a bit rough, but I could have skipped that one if I didn't want to go for the "with honors". So that was self-inflicted pain.

37 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

[...] and this involved many painful games in "Aigle", my "bête noire" (see what I did there) .

Non! Ma petite dame! 

aigle_stats_20180305.png

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,062 battles
16 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

I found it a pleasant experience.

A small campaign with a (for its size) generous time frame.

I did find gathering large amounts of ribbons with French BBs to be a bit rough, but I could have skipped that one if I didn't want to go for the "with honors". So that was self-inflicted pain.

Non! Ma petite dame! 

aigle_stats_20180305.png

I'm with you @Nechrom, I love the ship. to this point she's the only DD I'm actually comfortable in, but I guess that's because she plays like a (very) light cruiser.

The campaign is fair. I'm nowhere near through it but that because I keep taking breaks because of teams...

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,149 posts
29,534 battles

I played Aigle for the complete missions, and got the unlock missions for the Richelieu on the 2nd to last container of Mission 3, and all done in PVE.

I think I received 4.5Mil credits for the Dunkerque camo, The Maid of Orleans camos for Richelieu & Gascogne (ship not owned) look nice.

Players
1,055 posts
5,362 battles

I've only received the tier 5 French BB from containers (so far) and don't have the Aigle yet so I've been limited to repeating the first two missions of each set to get the stars necessary to unlock the final tasks. It's annoying that the first task of each set is for tiers V-X and the second, French-specific, task is for tiers VI-X so I haven't played the BB at all. On the other hand, I now have a fully-upgraded Algérie so every cloud, etc. 

I intend to go back for the other tasks once I've completed the Aigle campaign and will see how far I get on the BB grind. I've completed the collection so everything else is a bonus. I probably wouldn't have played the French ships for a while if it wasn't for this campaign, I'd been getting back into my IJN grind, but on the whole it's fun to mix things up a bit. :Smile_Default:

[H_FAN]
Players
2,682 posts
45,110 battles

I guess one alternative could be for the French specific BB tasks, if they would have been lowered to say T6 it would be more fair to those who starts low, it is not easier to get lots of secondary hits at lower tiers which is a lot of the ribbons f.e. and the XP is also lower.

I have already fixed the campaign, I have only the T8 related left and I bought Gascogne as I wanted a trainer at higher tier than Dunkrque for the 10 p captains and up. So for me personally it was no big deal, but I speak for the newer players, some grind if you do not have the ships to mid tier or T6-8 interval I have no problem with. It is after all not a bad idea to have now and then missions that are easier with some specific countries and tech trees. Every mission can not suit every player optimally, if you ignore ships or are new player it will be more difficult as it should be.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,084 posts
11,417 battles

How long will this campaign exist?

Wonder what my chances are of completing this are without playing any Frog ships.

[Edit] I found it four weeks.  Won't bother.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,863 posts
17,958 battles

Yeah, if you want to do with honors it can be quite anoying if the only BB you got before was Bretagne or even none. And now I am somewhat torn in between actually playing the new line (which was my original plan) or free XP'ing the Richelieu and continuing from there.