You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grandorf

Still unsure about captain skills.

27 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles

Hi

I had a some doubts about Concealment Expert but you convinced me and 

nowadays I follow the lemmings and pick it.

Anyhow, what do you think about Adrenaline Rush?

Thats kinda mandatory pick but I dont see why. On a BB you gain 

close to 3 secs when health is down to 50% or almost 5 secs when 

its down to 10% health. 

Is that really justified? You would have to stay alive for over 2,5 mins with 

10% health before you get off 1 more salvo than normally.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
5 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

It's not very much, yes, but do you have a better way to spend these two points? ^^

People always throw it in as "mandatory" first 2 pointer. 

Why not Last Stand and/or Expert Marksman ? 

Minotaur gets off 4 more salvos per min with 10% health, 

good luck playing Minotaur with 10% health.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,113 battles
2 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Why not Last Stand and/or Expert Marksman ?

why would you take Last Stand on a not-DD? waste of points.

And AR usually gives you a lot more firepower over the course of a game than getting your guns on target a few seconds earlier.

• Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

why would you take Last Stand on a not-DD? waste of points.

And AR usually gives you a lot more firepower over the course of a game than getting your guns on target a few seconds earlier.

Well it doesnt give you more than perhaps 1-2 salvos per match. 

Thats only if you lose alot of health early on and dont heal.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,113 battles
Just now, Grandorf said:

Well it doesnt give you more than perhaps 1-2 salvos per match. 

Thats only if you lose alot of health early on and dont heal.

nonsense. unless you're playing like complete rubbish you will lose health, and shaving 10% off your reload gives you a lot more than an extra salvo or two. Plus, massively improved reload also means you can catch a lot more opportunities (like broadsides).

• Cool 1

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, Grandorf sagte:

Actually I wouldn't take it as first 2 pointer on most ships ^^

LS on DDs, EM on BBs and some CAs, not on CVs at all. Just a few cruisers that don't need EM get AR as first 2 pointer.

• Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

nonsense. unless you're playing like complete rubbish you will lose health, and shaving 10% off your reload gives you a lot more than an extra salvo or two. Plus, massively improved reload also means you can catch a lot more opportunities (like broadsides).

You usually sail around for 5 mins before you get to shoot at anything, you miss alot and

dont fire every time your guns are loaded. In a perfect 20 min game you could get 40 salvos, 

thats never gonna happen.

You are not sailing around for 15 mins with 10% health.

[SERBS]
Players
544 posts
16,439 battles

well i take it on my shimakazze i usually contest caps and then get back asap with about 30% hp .... so rest of  the game torping it is.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
7 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Actually I wouldn't take it as first 2 pointer on most ships ^^

LS on DDs, EM on BBs and some CAs, not on CVs at all. Just a few cruisers that don't need EM get AR as first 2 pointer.

Looking at figures most of these captain skills give you fractions, Even Expert Marksman 

on a slow BB gives maybe 1 second when somebody pops up besides you (90°)

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
3 minutes ago, repsrb said:

well i take it on my shimakazze i usually contest caps and then get back asap with about 30% hp .... so rest of  the game torping it is.

Congrats, you get 2 more gun salvos a minute.

[SERBS]
Players
544 posts
16,439 battles

um ,actually youre torp reload is faster too....

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
1 minute ago, repsrb said:

um ,actually youre torp reload is faster too....

Well, maybe 1 torp salvo more a game then...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,794 posts
12,260 battles
39 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Hi

I had a some doubts about Concealment Expert but you convinced me and 

nowadays I follow the lemmings and pick it.

Anyhow, what do you think about Adrenaline Rush?

Thats kinda mandatory pick but I dont see why. On a BB you gain 

close to 3 secs when health is down to 50% or almost 5 secs when 

its down to 10% health. 

Is that really justified? You would have to stay alive for over 2,5 mins with 

10% health before you get off 1 more salvo than normally.

When 50% hp down, you get 10% better reload. That's around 11% more DPM, assuming that you fire your guns whenever ready.

As for BBs specifically - I'm not that good with them and I don't really like them so I don't play much... but almost every match I play one, I find myself in a situation where I'm aiming at an enemy that's just about to hide behind an island, turn away to hide citadel or (being a DD) disappear. And in these situations a measly couple seconds of reload more or less make the difference between getting to take that shot or missing the opportunity. So... yeah. I think you can realistically expect to get extra 1-3 nice salvos a game in a BB as far as your main guns are concerned. More in high tier British BBs that can afford to go lower on hp because their heal is just THAT ridiculous.

Whether you consider these couple extra shots to be worth the points or not - you decide.

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles

What Im trying to say is that many of these captain skills are "pumped up". 

You dont gain as much per battle as one might think...

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
15 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Looking at figures most of these captain skills give you fractions, Even Expert Marksman 

on a slow BB gives maybe 1 second when somebody pops up besides you (90°)

And sometimes it is exactely this second which matters.

13 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Congrats, you get 2 more gun salvos a minute.

Torpedoe reload and CV aircraft rearming is affected as well.

I don't think you can calculate the use of this like you try to. This skill is not only useful if you have <10% health. As Tyrendian says it is also about catching more opportunities, e.g. enemies showing broadside because they think you still have to reload long enough for them to angle. If you can tank well in your BB the effect of this skill gets stronger and stronger during the battle. You might not start with 24 or 25 seconds right off the bat but as soon as you get damaged it takes effect.

I do it like Commander_Cornflakes. It is hardly a "mandatory" skill for me except if there isn't really anything else useful. It is more like a nice to have skill.

Why don't you do it like that: Look at every 2 points skill closely and then choose the one YOU think has the biggest effect. Or - if it is not your first 2 points skill - also take a look at the 1 point skills.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,794 posts
12,260 battles
6 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Well, maybe 1 torp salvo more a game then...

Considering what Shima's torp salvo can do? Doesn't sound like a bad deal for 2 points.

• Funny 1

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
5 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Considering what Shima's torp salvo can do? Doesn't sound like a bad deal for 2 points.

7 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

Why don't you do it like that: Look at every 2 points skill closely and then choose the one YOU think has the biggest effect. Or - if it is not your first 2 points skill - also take a look at the 1 point skills.

This is well said, players usually dont think things through and pick "what everybody else" says. 

So, thank you all again and hope somebody else also thinks hard on what they really gain 

from those "mandatory" captain skills.

P.S. Good point too: And sometimes it is exactely this second which matters.

Players
1,055 posts
5,362 battles
7 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

What Im trying to say is that many of these captain skills are "pumped up". 

You dont gain as much per battle as one might think...

I'll take a small advantage over no advantage.

Whether you think a particular skill suits your play style is a personal matter - I sometimes take LS on CL captains because I tend to play them aggressively (too aggressively in most cases) and it's been useful to get me out of sticky situations more than a few times. That said, I'm going to try running with AR instead because I'm (slowly) learning that you can't play a French CL as a DD-lite because the damn things are made of citadels held together with that cheap duct tape you get from the pound shop that loses its stickiness the moment you take it off the roll. 

Sorry, I think my La Glass-jaw grind might be affecting my objectivity. :Smile_sceptic:

[TACHA]
Players
240 posts
10,089 battles
7 minutes ago, Strappster said:

I'll take a small advantage over no advantage.

Whether you think a particular skill suits your play style is a personal matter - I sometimes take LS on CL captains because I tend to play them aggressively (too aggressively in most cases) and it's been useful to get me out of sticky situations more than a few times. That said, I'm going to try running with AR instead because I'm (slowly) learning that you can't play a French CL as a DD-lite because the damn things are made of citadels held together with that cheap duct tape you get from the pound shop that loses its stickiness the moment you take it off the roll. 

Sorry, I think my La Glass-jaw grind might be affecting my objectivity. :Smile_sceptic:

Nice, French CLs was my first line. Still have Emile Bertin, I love that ship and yes I have LS on her. 

Unfortunately the next 3 ships are very meh. Henry IV seems to get that Emile style again and  

does put out tremendous DPM. Saint Louis is pretty fun also.

• Cool 1

Players
1,055 posts
5,362 battles
25 minutes ago, Grandorf said:

Nice, French CLs was my first line. Still have Emile Bertin, I love that ship and yes I have LS on her. 

Unfortunately the next 3 ships are very meh. Henry IV seems to get that Emile style again and  

does put out tremendous DPM. Saint Louis is pretty fun also.

I'm only on the tier 6 as you probably gathered. Enjoyed the Emile enough that she's still in my port but the Glass-jaw seems to be near-enough hopeless at everything. I haven't taken LS off the captain yet and I'm glad because in my last battle I took a couple of citadel hits through the stern that wiped out the engine. In return I was able to fire one HE salvo from the rear turret and took out the engine of the enemy Algerie. So maybe I'll leave it on for a bit longer. I think the most frustrating thing is that the De Grasse is better in every way; there's literally nothing to recommend the tier 6 except the speed that allows you to get wiped out early enough that you've got time to play something else while you wait to get it back.

Anyway, this isn't a French CL moan thread and I should stop griping. :Smile_Default:

[NSVE]
Players
83 posts
13,821 battles

I think Last stand is under valued particularly when there are carriers. If you are immobile or cant manuever you are an easy target. as your positioning is easy to predict. Extra salvos can help but being ditw ramps up the damage you can receive. what benefit then the extra salvos when your ship is on the bottom of the sea?

[NSVE]
Players
83 posts
13,821 battles
33 minutes ago, Strappster said:

I'm only on the tier 6 as you probably gathered. Enjoyed the Emile enough that she's still in my port but the Glass-jaw seems to be near-enough hopeless at everything. I haven't taken LS off the captain yet and I'm glad because in my last battle I took a couple of citadel hits through the stern that wiped out the engine. In return I was able to fire one HE salvo from the rear turret and took out the engine of the enemy Algerie. So maybe I'll leave it on for a bit longer. I think the most frustrating thing is that the De Grasse is better in every way; there's literally nothing to recommend the tier 6 except the speed that allows you to get wiped out early enough that you've got time to play something else while you wait to get it back.

Anyway, this isn't a French CL moan thread and I should stop griping. :Smile_Default:

But as an Englishmen isnt there a little bit of amusement that french ships die quickly?

Nelson would be ecstatic!

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

It's a nice skill. It's very straightforward, a DPS boost.

For that first two-point pick it's Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman (unique captains with buffed EM, various ships with totally painful traverse), or Last Stand (DD's, French cruiser guy). I don't have room for AR on my 19-point Carrier guy. 

I especially love AR on my 19-point "zombie" battleship guys. They take Superintendent + High Alert + Jack of All Trades to be able to heal a lot. Tank in front lines for much of the game and those AR benefits keep racking up.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

Adrenaline Rush is a decent 2 point option (2nd 2 pointer in the case of every DD I can think of as Last Stand is obligatory) as it improves the reload of ALL armament. Main guns, Torpedoes, Secondary and AA guns.

Like all skill choices it's Captains decision and entirely up to you if you want it. Personally I use it on pretty much every captain if I have the points available.