You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

35 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
1,580 battles

Before we go any further I do have experience with the Dunkerque with its two forward turrets and I deliberately bought this ship in order to get used to the unusual gun configuration that would be on the Izumo. In other words I know how to play the ship.

The Izumo as a battleship at tier 9 is simply just not cut out for the tier. The Amagi would be better suited for tier 9 than the Izumo. Due to the large size of the Izumo it has poor concealment even with the upgrades resulting in many occasions where a cruiser can spam HE rounds without revealing their position to me that's how bad it is.

The 410mm guns are nothing short of shotguns and that's with the B Hull. They do little damage if they even hit the target and completely fail to penetrate an Iowa at 5km. Playing with the Amagi these guns were good even with the RNG.

Just simply put the Izumo a fire magnet and I'll confess I've enjoyed shooting at them with the Amagi the ship is an easy target to hit. There were many design prototypes back in  the 1930s with Izumo being one of them, perhaps WG should look into finding something else or rearrange the tech tree like they did with Japanese destroyers, i.e. the Fubuki becoming tier 6.

What do you guys think, is it worth keeping it at tier 9 on the Japanese tech tree or should another ship take its place?

Beta Tester
2,813 posts
7,256 battles

For a T9 IJN BB, Musashi all the way, now i did skip Izumo but that was when she was prebuff, im saving silver now to buy her. 

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,062 battles

Every line has a stinker, and believe it or not a lot of them are at tier 9.

Dunkirk is, I think (I'm not up to Izumo), nothing like Izumo. Get Nelson, which is closer in playstyle.

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
Vor 45 Minuten, whitebird2012 sagte:

In other words I know how to play the ship.

No you don't.

Dunk plays nothing like Izumo because Izumo has a third turret. You have to turn to use it and can't just stay bow-on like with Dunk.

Vor 49 Minuten, whitebird2012 sagte:

Due to the large size of the Izumo it has poor concealment even with the upgrades

14.5km is okay, Izumo isn't made for CQC anyway.

Vor 50 Minuten, whitebird2012 sagte:

resulting in many occasions where a cruiser can spam HE rounds without revealing their position to me that's how bad it is.

That's not the concealment, that's just bad map awareness.

Vor 50 Minuten, whitebird2012 sagte:

The 410mm guns are nothing short of shotguns and that's with the B Hull.

Guns don't depend on the hull :fish_aqua:

Vor 51 Minuten, whitebird2012 sagte:

Izumo a fire magnet

Maybe you should get rid of the useless Secondary Spec and get some Fire Prevention and Basics of Survivability instead :cap_hmm:

I really like the Izumo. Strong guns, very tanky against AP, a gun layout that makes her special. I don't want her removed, she is fine where she is.

shot-17_12.07_17_37.09-0628.thumb.jpg.299e3555bef0e76ff6206faed0204757.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Alteranatively you could git gud.

Izumo's a great ship if you stop showing your broadside to everyone

5 hours ago, whitebird2012 said:

The 410mm guns are nothing short of shotguns and that's with the B Hull.

4 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Guns don't depend on the hull :fish_aqua:

To be more precise - they don't anymore, at least not as far as I'm aware. You used to get those "old style" turrets on (A) hull like you have on the Mutsu and Ashitaka (far worse accuracy, damage and penetration) but (and correct me if I'm wrong) - that's a thing of the past.

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
638 posts
9,703 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

git gud

And what does Git Gud mean??? :cap_hmm:

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Izumo's a great ship if you stop showing your broadside to everyone

I actually think that she has exceptional broadside armor, quite tardproof :fish_haloween:

Players
4,604 posts
7,604 battles
8 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Every line has a stinker, and believe it or not a lot of them are at tier 9.

Would it be fair to say that T9 is not a particularly comfortable spot for any BB (Missouri excepted), they're not that much of an upgrade over T8 but get much worse MM?

T8 is the misery zone for cruisers, possibly T10 for DD?

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
23 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

possibly T10 for DD?

Haha, no. I hate tiers 2+3 - wayyy to chaotic and maps are super small :cap_book:

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

Comparing T9 BBs with T8 BBs is a little weird, since several of the T8 BBs are extremely strong, and perform decently in T10. T9, on the other hand, is pretty much T10 matchmaking with worse than T10 ships.

Izumo is more accurate than Amagi. Amagi has one more barrel, but needs to show more broadside to fire all of them. With the higher

Izumo is far stronger bow-on, while Amagi handles far better, so they offer completely different playstyles. And if you can't do well with Izumo's playstyle, you're better off not getting Yamato or Musashi.

[NKK3]
Weekend Tester
257 posts
7,501 battles

No paper ships needed in the japanese tech tree. Myogi and Izumo must go away. Not needed when you have the Ise class and the Tosa class.

Beta Tester
2,813 posts
7,256 battles
11 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Which are neither Tier IV or Tier IX and Tosa was not buildt either.

Actually the hull of the Tosa was completed but due to the Washington treaty they then used it as target practice to test out theyr armor effectivness, the hulk now is at the bottom of the sea :Smile_honoring:

Tosa_construction_stop.thumb.jpg.6509580a71d1f4642a9f8df6aff43aff.jpgJapanese_battleship_Tosa_sinking.jpg.490b5cf87dd574ac308c15a7746af554.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
166 posts
810 battles
20 minutes ago, MoffGaburo said:

No paper ships needed in the japanese tech tree. Myogi and Izumo must go away. Not needed when you have the Ise class and the Tosa class.

The original Battle Cruiser design of Kongo would be better at T4

Haruna_at_Yokosuka_1916.jpg

Beta Tester
2,813 posts
7,256 battles
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is not buildt.

Still better than just a paper design no? 

At least she floated :Smile_smile:

She was built just not completed :Smile_honoring:

[NKK3]
Weekend Tester
257 posts
7,501 battles
30 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is not buildt.

The  Kaga was a Tosa class.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
10 minutes ago, MoffGaburo said:

Never finished as a BB and re-built into a CV only bcuz Amagi was wrecked beyond repair

[CATS]
Players
28,903 posts
15,122 battles
27 minutes ago, MoffGaburo said:

You want to put a CV in the BB tree at Tier IX?

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,062 battles
3 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Would it be fair to say that T9 is not a particularly comfortable spot for any BB (Missouri excepted), they're not that much of an upgrade over T8 but get much worse MM?

T8 is the misery zone for cruisers, possibly T10 for DD?

I'd argue the MM is either no worse or potentially better. I am top tier way more in T9 than I am anything other than bottom tier in T8

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Zumo is your punishment and suffering that you must play through or pay money to skip.

Yamato is the reward...

• Cool 2

[NKK2]
Players
1,134 posts
4,878 battles

The thing about Izumo is that it teaches you the bow on mechanic that is crucial to Yamato. I think they could change the design but it may prove difficult to do so. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,576 posts
20,729 battles
5 hours ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

The original Battle Cruiser design of Kongo would be better at T4

That wasn't an option because the former Kongo stock hull was the original BC configuration.

Players
166 posts
810 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

That wasn't an option because the former Kongo stock hull was the original BC configuration.

How long ago was that?